Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is there a mod or a cheat code to remove the cyberspace sections? Can't believe they kept them.
This remake is so nostalgiafaggoty they even kept the pixels. You think they'd remove the VR?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Nevermind, it's SetGodMode 1. And yeah, the one on level 2 is clearly untested. No one played that thing. Remember to set it back to 0 after.
You think they'd remove the VR?
One can hope.
Also, death to minigames. No more minigames. Stop being part of the stupid side of the population. Vtmb, Dark Messiah, Thief 1 and 2, Outer Worlds, Deus Ex 1 are the only acceptable ways to do this trash.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, this was so...so deep, this is what the original game was missing:
bvep2R3.png

Cross

Arcane
Sensurround was turned into minimap radar
Very lame. Having cybernetic eyes in the back of your head was one of the many cool things about System Shock.

Was this removed for the same reason modern games are seemingly incapable of implementing mirrors?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Disappointed at the music. Who made this garbage?

"WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY?"

DING DING DING DING DING!

Blech. They tried some kind of ambient noise that ramps up to combat tracks when you fight stuff but it doesn't even work. Half the time there's no ramp up, or it starts after everything is dead, or nothing even happens. Just totally wrong on every level.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Still reading through the manual, this is more of a 84-page manual then 42, as each page is double.

There's a lengthy segment on SHODAN and how it operates, almost down to the code-level. One brilliant bit:

It isn't enough to have an adaptive learning system with ethics. If a system is to think like a human and carry a tremendous amount of responsibility, it must be emotionally accountable as well. The SHODAN system was given a battery of blind psychological examinations. Psychoanalysts evaluated the tests through a transcript and were unaware that the subject was Artificial Intelligence. The doctors were told the subject was Polish to offset the slightly broken syntax.

In the original it seemed like the hacker was re-writing SHODAN's code, in this one he literally just logs in AS DIEGO and switches "ETHICS - OFF" (after some privilege escalation). FFS.

Zlaja

Arcane
Looks like a nice remake. I think that I would enjoy this one, If I were 20 years younger. Unfortunatelly, it's too scary now for me. I can't enjoy games that are scary anymore.

That's weird. Usually, people are more easily scared while young and toughen up as they grow older. Personally, I was shitting bricks while playing stuff like Resident Evil during my teenage years, but these days I can stomach anything just fine.

Also, SS isn't really scary. A bit creepy at times, but not really horror stuff.

Beowulf

Arcane
Whoever decided to limit the hotbar to categories needs to be kicked very hard in the nuts.
You can turn it off in the menu.

The game has surprisingly rich customisation options enabled, when taking modern game design into account. Hell, in many modern games you can't even separately disable motion blur without turning post-processing completely off, or tinkering with the ini files.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
The Research level combat music is much better but it should be playing all the time.

*walk into room, shoot two mutants*
Game: *bass beat* *techno sounds*
Me: "Um, they're already dead... Thanks though."

*See group of high level security bots* "Oh crap, time to rumble" *load teflon rounds, apply medical patch* "DIE EVIL ROBOTS!" blam blam bam! *explosion!*
-45 seconds of gunfighting later-
Game: *ambient sounds*
Me: "Really, no cool music for that fight?"
Game: "Oh I'm sorry, were you doing things? I didn't notice."

I hate the lesbian Amsterdam brothel lighting and art style
whay an oddly specific thing to say.

i skipped this because it came before the era of mouse freelook and ss2 was published 2 months after i bought my first pc. apparently, maps are almost 1:1, and i absolutely hate old times' maze-like maps. i'm downloading it nonetheless, but i doubt i'm going to try it anytime soon, if ever. shame, i truly wanted to.

In the original it seemed like the hacker was re-writing SHODAN's code, in this one he literally just logs in AS DIEGO and switches "ETHICS - OFF" (after some privilege escalation). FFS.
Latter is more accurate to real life whenever retards ask you to fix their computer and you just toggle off whatever setting they activated accidentally.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, anyone else noticing an anti-capitalist vibe here? Lots of logs with shit like "Why did I come here?" and Diego going "False narrative blah blah blah..." and Diego looks like some stereotypical bourgeoise instead of a laid back sleaze trying to sell bioweapons to the highest bidder.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hate the lesbian Amsterdam brothel lighting and art style
whay an oddly specific thing to say.
Dunno, that was the first thought when I found myself on Citadel - am I on a space station or at some gay nightclub? All that navy blue and deep red and funky teal and violet. And some of the wall panelling. I thought Erasure would start blasting out of some hidden speakers at any moment.

I mean, not that I've ever been in a gay nightclub in Amsterdam. Well, it wasn't gay. I think.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is there any point to the ID tags?
There's a section in the manual where the key personnel on every floor is named. Might be something for the OCD autists who need to know where everyone died on the station.

EDIT: Ninja'd with the proper response.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom