Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I've started playing this a while ago (sometime last year I think) and kinda lost interest while still in the first city.

Decided to pick it up again, this time put a little more effort into getting used to the interface (it's a bit clunky tbh), and now I've got 14 hours in it and am close to the final boss fight.

The first area was the hardest, as you're very squishy at the start and the first dungeon level has mostly undead, which you can only harm while blessed. Very tough beginning... but you can easily grind in the arena by auto-playing the easiest battle once you're tough enough to survive that. I got myself one or two levelups that way.

I like how important items are in this game. Better equipment is going to increase your character's power exponentially.

The toughest areas for me were the first two dungeon levels, but after that the game became pretty easy as my knight and archer just completely wipe the floor with the enemy.
As soon as my archer got that arrow storm ability that lets you hit all enemies at once, she could insta-delete most enemy mobs.
And when she got that unique elven bow, even tougher enemies fell easily.
And now my knight got the berserk ability, which means anyone in melee range who survives my archer's volley is gonna be toast lol.

Fighters and archers are so useful, my casters feel like dead weight in combat. They're great for utility - I need the priest to heal and the sorceresses to cast teleport, jump, and that phasing through walls spell. But when it comes to actual combat potential, even their best spells (which cost runes or holy water) pale in comparison to the raw damage dealt by archer and knight.

The best part about it is the exploration, with plenty of secrets to discover, area traversal magic coming in use plenty of times, etc. I dug up two pieces of a cross but didn't find the third (upper part), but apparently the part I didn't find is the one you're supposed to find first, according to threads on the Steam forums. I went to that presbytery in the dwarf city and the woman there just sends me away. I read that she's supposed to give you a quest if you show her one of the cross pieces, but because I'm missing the piece that's supposed to be the first you discover, she doesn't react to me at all (even though I have two pieces). Charles-cgr pls look into this, seems like a bug/oversight.

Having a lot of fun with this game, and really looking forward to the sequel. Charles-cgr pls finish it I need my fix.
The presbytery doesn't react to the cross fragments, but to a book that comes with the first one.
Thanks for the kind words JarlFrank . Sovereign development is quite the roller coaster but I'm finishing it someday.
One of the massive hurdles was upgrading to GMS2. I'm still seeing issues pop up but it had to be done. GMS1 no longer being supported suggested a disaster in the making and having to do the upgrade with the game not working anymore.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started playing it some time ago (slowly!). Having a blast so far. Only worried about what Jarl said earlier that the game becomes easy later on. We'll see.
The final areas have some challenge again... but I was dumb and fought the blue chick before
taking away her power source
which made the fight much harder than intended.

My overall experience with difficulty is that it's very challenging at the beginning, you're gonna struggle on the first two dungeon levels.
It gets a lot easier during the mid-game, which is also the point at which the game opens up.

My party was knight, paladin, priest, archer, sorceress, sorceress.
On a replay I would switch out one of the sorceresses with a rogue/thief/assassin/whatever the thief class is called in this game. Sorcerers are useful, but not so much that you'd need two of them. One is enough. Martial classes are a lot more useful than casters during most combat encounters, especially since the high end spells cost runes to cast.

Archer with the elven bow is the most OP character I ever played in a blobber, she could insta-kill everything except bosses.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I started playing it some time ago (slowly!). Having a blast so far. Only worried about what Jarl said earlier that the game becomes easy later on. We'll see.
The final areas have some challenge again... but I was dumb and fought the blue chick before
taking away her power source
which made the fight much harder than intended.

My overall experience with difficulty is that it's very challenging at the beginning, you're gonna struggle on the first two dungeon levels.
It gets a lot easier during the mid-game, which is also the point at which the game opens up.

My party was knight, paladin, priest, archer, sorceress, sorceress.
On a replay I would switch out one of the sorceresses with a rogue/thief/assassin/whatever the thief class is called in this game. Sorcerers are useful, but not so much that you'd need two of them. One is enough. Martial classes are a lot more useful than casters during most combat encounters, especially since the high end spells cost runes to cast.

Archer with the elven bow is the most OP character I ever played in a blobber, she could insta-kill everything except bosses.
Thanks for info. It seems that NOT playing with the archer would a good idea. Especially that very early game archer is an ok class but not better than others so you wouldn't miss it much. In my game I took one of every class* and am about to hit level 3 - it is too late now, i don't want to redo the first two levels. In my party for now only cleric is a bit worthless. Or would be if not for healing/preventing death. I guess it is cleric role. Gnome rogue is very nice, he needs to stealth first round in combat but he does very good damage when assassinating and often remains hidden for another strike next turn. Also i don't know if anyone else would be able to open locked doors as well. Which wasn't a great deal so far but it gave some additional exp/money.

*Honestly i don't like when number of available classes/builds = number of slots in the party. It feels like it "forces" you to just take one of every class. Do more classes, LESS classes and/or allow distinct builds within some/every class. I know that there is no "forcing" in reality but still it feels... wrong somehow.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In my party for now only cleric is a bit worthless. Or would be if not for healing/preventing death.
That is the cleric's main role throughout the game. She sucks at combat just like the wizards, but doesn't have any worthwhile damage or enemy disabling spells, mostly just healing.
The healing is quite necessary though, and I'm glad I took a paladin who could serve as backup healer if my cleric got knocked out (cleric gets KO'd, heal her with the paladin so she can get back to healing duty).

Also i don't know if anyone else would be able to open locked doors as well.
lol my archer did just fine, there is absolutely no drawback to standing in front of a locked door and spamming U until it's unlocked

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In my party for now only cleric is a bit worthless. Or would be if not for healing/preventing death.
That is the cleric's main role throughout the game. She sucks at combat just like the wizards, but doesn't have any worthwhile damage or enemy disabling spells, mostly just healing.
The healing is quite necessary though, and I'm glad I took a paladin who could serve as backup healer if my cleric got knocked out (cleric gets KO'd, heal her with the paladin so she can get back to healing duty).

Also i don't know if anyone else would be able to open locked doors as well.
lol my archer did just fine, there is absolutely no drawback to standing in front of a locked door and spamming U until it's unlocked
Strictly speaking this is a design flaw. Makes rogue being "best" in unlocking doors useless. Hope the author can improve on that in the sequel. Fortunately rogues are - at least early - very good damage dealers. I'd say better than archers. Otoh archer can given better armor which might make some difference in some combats but doesn't matter that much. And, as you said, archer gets OP later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom