Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah this game is amazing. I can't remember the last game I played that had this level of exquisite itemization. Finding a Magic Sling and an Apprentice Robe is like a huge upgrade. And everything is handplaced and semi-hidden for the explorers to find. It's magical guys, truly. Besides itemization, the combat is oodles of fun, leveling up is so simple yet so fun and rewarding, and you feel the power difference as you get stronger, faster and smarter. It has all the perks of a good dungeon crawler as well as apparently having 3 towns? Wow, can't wait to see more! I'm kind of on a binge of this one at the moment, while cycling thru a handful of games that I'm also playing. This one though, truly remarkable and special. Imo. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I still have to play those for the first time Meredoth . If they're *that* good then what a treat that will be! :) Thanks for the heads up.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I still have to play those for the first time Meredoth . If they're *that* good then what a treat that will be! :) Thanks for the heads up.
They are that good, at least I think so. Might & Magic 6 is such a peculiar game that is fascinating, addicting, and engrossing with one of the ugliest aesthetics ever seen that is yet somehow transcendent. I'd have to include it in my all-time favorites.

I'm excited to check this game out too, I still haven't gotten a copy for myself but will be doing so very soon, if not tomorrow.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Hey guys. Thinking about playing the first game, Underworld. About how many hours would a Completionist Leisure run take in this game? Trying to decide to delve into either this or MMX. Thanks!! :)

Hey bud. I preferred S&S over MMX by far. The exploration was way more fun. Had a similar style to Might and Magic 6/7. MMX is ok but the combat felt really gimmicky to me. They're both worth a playthrough, but I'd start with S&S. Hopefully we'll get the sequel Sovereign....someday.....

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words.

Sovereign is still TBA and I've been finishing up Iron Ruler, the TB strategy title I fall back on when I get writer's block and such.

TBA, but still definitely coming out some time soonish.

Thanks again for all the support!

Charles

Dorateen Those screens take me back and bring a tear to me eye :D

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys! :) Loving this game but have a question. Does Paladin cap Strength at 11? For the last 2 or 3 levels I can't raise my Paladin's Strength stat past that. Seems kinda weird to cap so low but maybe it's a bug or something? Any clues here? Thanks! :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Can someone please answer this so i can actually play? My female paladin is stuck at 10 Strength and it doesn't allow me to raise it when she levels up. Gotta be a bug or something right? If so, any way to fix? Oh, her Spirit is capped at 10 too! Weird.

Dorateen

Arcane
I don't suppose the character has a disease or other affliction suppressing the stat? I don't recall if that was a feature, but I also do not think there was a cap on raising ability scores. But I played an earlier version.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Nope, no disease or anything that I can see. It's been like this for 3 or 4 levels now, so if it is something like that I have no idea how to remove it. I do think it's capped because both Spirit and Strength won't go past 10. I dunno, seems weird for sure but, would really like to hear from Charles-cgr on this!

Sacibengala

Prophet
Can someone please answer this so i can actually play? My female paladin is stuck at 10 Strength and it doesn't allow me to raise it when she levels up. Gotta be a bug or something right? If so, any way to fix? Oh, her Spirit is capped at 10 too! Weird.
You can't handle strong independent paladin womyn. If she gets more than 10 STR, she will leave you.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Anyone know what's going on? I am hesitant to play further before getting this answer. It's unfortunate too because I am really enjoying the game. Ah well. Anyone else?

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
oh God, it's because she's a Gnome! lol. D'oh. All other races are capped at 20 for stats except the Gnome which caps at 10 for STR END & SPI. Wow. Well that kinda ruins my game at this point, lol. Not sure I can really continue, I'm already in Moltenore. Ugh, so that's why at least. It was answered on the Steam forum, thanks Darth Canoli for the tip to check the forums. :)

Contagium

Savant
Patron
The prospect of a gnome Paladin is just hilarious to me. Glad you figured it out

oh God, it's because she's a Gnome! lol. D'oh. All other races are capped at 20 for stats except the Gnome which caps at 10 for STR END & SPI. Wow. Well that kinda ruins my game at this point, lol. Not sure I can really continue, I'm already in Moltenore. Ugh, so that's why at least. It was answered on the Steam forum, thanks Darth Canoli for the tip to check the forums. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Reason being, I generally like to make odd combinations when the game allows it :P . Usually if I know beforehand that a Gnome can't go past 10 STR, i'd never roll one as a Paladin! Lol. Ah well. What do u guys suggest here? Can I replace her or something, or any ideas?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Fluent Apparently you're in the 20-30K experience range? The game ends around 250K so it seems feasible to create a new pally and just grind a quick lvl4-5 before resuming.
Or you can try to make it to the end. Compensate with high ACY and SPD. You can't wear plate, but
you'll find dragonscale armor with no STR restriction
. It seems feasible to me, although slightly more challenging.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I see Laura's been doing OK after all :)
I recreated the forums on the olderbytes site. We had some good discussions going before it got swarmed by bots. Hopefully I can keep it clean this time. phpbb seems more secure now. olderbytes.com/community
Iron Ruler is just about ready and the SSUDE rework for NVIDIA is done. I'm looking into putting together some material to show progress on Sovereign.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've started playing this a while ago (sometime last year I think) and kinda lost interest while still in the first city.

Decided to pick it up again, this time put a little more effort into getting used to the interface (it's a bit clunky tbh), and now I've got 14 hours in it and am close to the final boss fight.

The first area was the hardest, as you're very squishy at the start and the first dungeon level has mostly undead, which you can only harm while blessed. Very tough beginning... but you can easily grind in the arena by auto-playing the easiest battle once you're tough enough to survive that. I got myself one or two levelups that way.

I like how important items are in this game. Better equipment is going to increase your character's power exponentially.

The toughest areas for me were the first two dungeon levels, but after that the game became pretty easy as my knight and archer just completely wipe the floor with the enemy.
As soon as my archer got that arrow storm ability that lets you hit all enemies at once, she could insta-delete most enemy mobs.
And when she got that unique elven bow, even tougher enemies fell easily.
And now my knight got the berserk ability, which means anyone in melee range who survives my archer's volley is gonna be toast lol.

Fighters and archers are so useful, my casters feel like dead weight in combat. They're great for utility - I need the priest to heal and the sorceresses to cast teleport, jump, and that phasing through walls spell. But when it comes to actual combat potential, even their best spells (which cost runes or holy water) pale in comparison to the raw damage dealt by archer and knight.

The best part about it is the exploration, with plenty of secrets to discover, area traversal magic coming in use plenty of times, etc. I dug up two pieces of a cross but didn't find the third (upper part), but apparently the part I didn't find is the one you're supposed to find first, according to threads on the Steam forums. I went to that presbytery in the dwarf city and the woman there just sends me away. I read that she's supposed to give you a quest if you show her one of the cross pieces, but because I'm missing the piece that's supposed to be the first you discover, she doesn't react to me at all (even though I have two pieces). Charles-cgr pls look into this, seems like a bug/oversight.

Having a lot of fun with this game, and really looking forward to the sequel. Charles-cgr pls finish it I need my fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom