Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy - BG1-inspired low fantasy RPG From the ATOM TEAM - Kickstarter Live

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Backed for 15 USD. Loved ATOM but haven't played Trudogard yet. I will try to complete it while waiting for Swordhaven.

Godspeed and good luck!

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah the inventory icons sucks. What happened? The items in ATOM games looked great.

Anyway, I've played it a bit. Didn't like the system aside for a fact every personality point sets its own "perceived state". Would be cool if those could be swayed in either direction via other means when it comes to concrete NPC. Otherwise, it incentivized me to create a monstrosity like this:
image.png

Max AP+THC (call them however you like), more or less. Btw I couldn't find where to look +THC bonuses from attention or dexterity, just by testing it a bit I gathered dexterity is better for melee but not 100% sure here. Although by choosing a halberd I've fucked myself since max AP = 30 and 1 halberd attack = 16.

Would play more but suddenly got a weird bug on the second map with the field of view:
image.png

What is this?

Overall it's well, too generic for me so far. Although I liked the intro even if it's generic too, it gets the job done. And seems that Atomboy didn't lie about dialogue improvements judging by these few bits I've seen, none of the signature over-expressive bs, nice I guess except maybe some players would be missing it instead.

jackofshadows

Magister
max AP = 30 and 1 halberd attack = 16.
Stats go up to eleven, max ap is ~35. But yeah unnarmed seems like the strongest.
Yeah you're correct, of course. What I was meaning is "reasonable max" when you aren't dropping INT i.e. skills in the future or say Personality if you want that stat. By the way, it's amusing when they announce this "totally not BG but BG" game they still decided to use pretty much GURPS instead of some kind of DnD iteration. License concerns?

agris

Arcane
Patron
No key for walking. But I did notice that you can walk when approaching loot. My gaming autism calls for a dedicated key!
good convention: single click to walk to target, double click to run, with an optional "always run" game option.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
More actions is a huge boon, so it will be interesting how they will balance it properly. In 99% of cases, anything with increased action economy will be picked, unless other perks offer huge bonuses like +20-50% more damage. If you want to affect action economy, influence action cost and make it granular enough to not have huge steps like from 4AP to 3AP, rather use a smaller buff like from 8AP to 7AP. Do not copy faults of other games, like you copied fallout in atom.

Kruyurk

Learned
With a mechanic allowing more action points the system becomes nonlinear, so it is harder to balance but it also becomes more interesting in my opinion.
The fact that some poor implementation of that broke the system in other games should not deter devs to attempt it.
If the progression is to go from hitting twice for 2 damage a 10hp mod, to hitting twice for 20 damage a 100hp mob, what is the point? Combats dynamic should evolve throughout the course of the game.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Backed for 15 USD. Loved ATOM but haven't played Trudogard yet. I will try to complete it while waiting for Swordhaven.

Godspeed and good luck!
Thanks dude! The general opinion on the street is Trudograd is way better! Hope you like it.
How much do I have to donate for you to add playable wizards?
Sorry not this time! There might be a way in the full game since there IS some "magic" out there, but you won't start as one.
backed
Thanks!
Just the beach where you start the game, at night. If nothing happens email us a save to support@atomrpg.com if you can, we'll see what the problem is.
Yeah it worked, I just hadn't gone there late enough so went back and fished a bit.
That's a relief!
I love big item icons. I want it like Diablo 1&2 and Arcanum. Not like in BG1.
Would you look at that, we used diablo 2 icons as placeholders before the artist drew the actual ones :D
Yeah the inventory icons sucks. What happened? The items in ATOM games looked great.

Anyway, I've played it a bit. Didn't like the system aside for a fact every personality point sets its own "perceived state". Would be cool if those could be swayed in either direction via other means when it comes to concrete NPC. Otherwise, it incentivized me to create a monstrosity like this:
image.png

Max AP+THC (call them however you like), more or less. Btw I couldn't find where to look +THC bonuses from attention or dexterity, just by testing it a bit I gathered dexterity is better for melee but not 100% sure here. Although by choosing a halberd I've fucked myself since max AP = 30 and 1 halberd attack = 16.

Would play more but suddenly got a weird bug on the second map with the field of view:
image.png

What is this?

Overall it's well, too generic for me so far. Although I liked the intro even if it's generic too, it gets the job done. And seems that Atomboy didn't lie about dialogue improvements judging by these few bits I've seen, none of the signature over-expressive bs, nice I guess except maybe some players would be missing it instead.
What you have there is my personal go-to build. Max str+dex and points to unarmed makes you unstoppable in this version. STR is more important for melee though as it gives you extra damage. This will be the first thing I nerf though, way too easy to play like this.
I never lie about dialogue! Will check FOV thing, and UI will get some love in EA
max AP = 30 and 1 halberd attack = 16.
Stats go up to eleven, max ap is ~35. But yeah unnarmed seems like the strongest.
That's true. The current unarmed formula gives you +1 damage for every 15 points of skill, unlike all other skills that don't give you anything but hitchance from the skill. I'm gonna nerf it to +1 dam every 20 points and see how that works, then nerf it to 25 maybe. Thing is unlike weapons, you can't buy a better fist, so it needs to evolve with you as you play, hence the damage bonuses from skill. Just need to find a better proportion.
No key for walking. But I did notice that you can walk when approaching loot. My gaming autism calls for a dedicated key!
good convention: single click to walk to target, double click to run, with an optional "always run" game option.
Nice idea!
Well, backed for 15€. A low fantasy crpg is always welcome.
Thank you!
I backed for two reasons.

1. I liked atom/trudo and feel the devs have earned my trust.
2. jackofshadows is on this thread crying and jealous this game is going to be more successful then ITS(lol)
Thanks!!! Though jackofshadows actually likes this one, I feel it in me bones.
You should not have a "lets you take more actions" stat in an rpg.

More actions is a huge boon, so it will be interesting how they will balance it properly. In 99% of cases, anything with increased action economy will be picked, unless other perks offer huge bonuses like +20-50% more damage. If you want to affect action economy, influence action cost and make it granular enough to not have huge steps like from 4AP to 3AP, rather use a smaller buff like from 8AP to 7AP. Do not copy faults of other games, like you copied fallout in atom.

With a mechanic allowing more action points the system becomes nonlinear, so it is harder to balance but it also becomes more interesting in my opinion.
The fact that some poor implementation of that broke the system in other games should not deter devs to attempt it.
If the progression is to go from hitting twice for 2 damage a 10hp mod, to hitting twice for 20 damage a 100hp mob, what is the point? Combats dynamic should evolve throughout the course of the game.

Swordhaven is middle ground when it comes to this. I was sort loosely inspired by Underrail for this one, meaning at Minimum SP you can do your 3 knife attacks or your 2 sword attacks or your 1 halberd attack, but at MAX SP you can do the same 3 or 2 or 1 attacks, but also kite a few steps, or eat a potion. Once I'm done balancing this, it will work like described. I really don't wanna make it so like 1 player can pull off 5 attacks with the same weapon that only gives 3 to another player. But still I want players who sacrificed some stats for these extra SP points to get something useful out of them. Top tier weapon techniques use more SP, for example a level 4 technique costs 175% of your weapon's normal attack. Any player can do at least one of those per round with any weapon, but those who invested into most SP will be able to do that AND have SP enough to run away or do something else, maybe even squeeze in an extra attack, but nothing too gamebreaking.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Alas, my many years of vigorous gaming bestowed a cursed gift of semi-clairvoyance, which I wear as a meta-physical crown upon my troubled brow.
Forsooth, I have seen in my vision a great future coming for Atom's developers. They'll produce a fourth RP game, forging ahead to near AAA-type production, earning hundreds of coffins of gold groshi, and much glory and fame wherever they go. Then, as a very large and successful studio, they'll procure rights to some universally acclaimed TM setting and...
...you know the rest, I am afraid.
Let's savor their beginnings full of passion and ingenuity, while they last.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Alas, my many years of vigorous gaming bestowed a cursed gift of semi-clairvoyance, which I wear as a meta-physical crown upon my troubled brow.
Forsooth, I have seen in my vision a great future coming for Atom's developers. They'll produce a fourth RP game, forging ahead to near AAA-type production, earning hundreds of coffins of gold groshi, and much glory and fame wherever they go. Then, as a very large and successful studio, they'll procure rights to some universally acclaimed TM setting and...
That's just lovely! However, I have a blood pact going with my mates that if we ever have money for an AAA with a popular setting, we'll make 3 single-A games instead, and I'll get to make the setting of at least one. It will be known as BLASTERY I: THE QUEST FOR INFANT REGALIA a sci-fi low-magic fantasy turn-based blobber set on an asteroid prison colony. King Corpulan XII is dying... And without his precious artefact the Infant Regalia which allows full mind transfer into an infant's body (which is how the king ruled the universe for more than a 1000 years) he cannot be reborn to continue his reign of prosperity and decadent feastings. Will your crew of adventurers be able to procure the Infant Regalia? And what will they do with it then? And some of them will have human bodies and animal heads, but not in the furry way, but in the cynocephalus way, very pious.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
That's just lovely! However, I have a blood pact going with my mates that if we ever have money for an AAA with a popular setting, we'll make 3 single-A games instead, and I'll get to make the setting of at least one. It will be known as BLASTERY I: THE QUEST FOR INFANT REGALIA a sci-fi low-magic fantasy turn-based blobber set on an asteroid prison colony. King Corpulan XII is dying... And without his precious artefact the Infant Regalia which allows full mind transfer into an infant's body (which is how the king ruled the universe for more than a 1000 years) he cannot be reborn to continue his reign of prosperity and decadent feastings. Will your crew of adventurers be able to procure the Infant Regalia? And what will they do with it then? And some of them will have human bodies and animal heads, but not in the furry way, but in the cynocephalus way, very pious.
Ok, then, now that I have become positively horrified, I promise to buy everything you develop.

jackofshadows

Magister
2. @jackofshadows is on this thread crying and jealous this game is going to be more successful then ITS(lol)
Who cares, you useless pathetic retard? Yes, it's a pity that ITS is apparently dead but such is life, you fucking penniless mongrel. There're projects out there already who are inspired by ITS games, possibly this very one since Atomboy has played some of them as I remember, you illiterate idiot who cannot separate "then" from "than". So the cycle continues, you cucked piece of shit. And again in your tiny smooth brain you cannot comprehend the simple fact "me like = good" is nonsense. Yes, I don't like "enough" ATOM games but that doesn't mean I consider them shit let alone the devs who made them bad or wish them to go under, you sad hopeless no lifer fuck.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Backed on day 1. Was a bit worried about whether it would make it to funding or not, but it's picked up some funding since. Still might need some serious mid-campaign marketing/updates/energy to get it far enough along that the final campaign push takes it over the top though.

rojay

Scholar
2. @jackofshadows is on this thread crying and jealous this game is going to be more successful then ITS(lol)
Who cares, you useless pathetic retard? Yes, it's a pity that ITS is apparently dead but such is life, you fucking penniless mongrel. There're projects out there already who are inspired by ITS games, possibly this very one since Atomboy has played some of them as I remember, you illiterate idiot who cannot separate "then" from "than". So the cycle continues, you cucked piece of shit. And again in your tiny smooth brain you cannot comprehend the simple fact "me like = good" is nonsense. Yes, I don't like "enough" ATOM games but that doesn't mean I consider them shit let alone the devs who made them bad or wish them to go under, you sad hopeless no lifer fuck.
Dude, "you penniless mongrel" is great stuff but maybe take a deep breath.

/penniless mongrel.

It have been ages since I backed something so I went and backed it. Turned out the last time I backed a project was during 2017 for Vigilantes. Time truly goes fast. I also found out to have an unclaimed Mechjammer key. :) So based on my most recent backing there is a 50% chance the game will be good :)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also backed this one. The Atom devs have proved themselves very reliable and I'm excited to see what they achieve with this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom