Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy - BG1-inspired low fantasy RPG From the ATOM TEAM - Kickstarter Live

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/swordhaven-iron-conspiracy

https://swordhavenrpg.com

We wanted to announce that we're working on a new RPG! Here's a glimpse of an in-game artwork.Curious what you think it might be
F4ebctRXwAAjb_F

Last edited by a moderator:

ds

Cipher
Patron
Looks great, skeuomorphic UIs are best and so are stylized maps rather than a direct render of the area. Maybe have the paper texture shine through the map a bit.

Is the flag button for placing your own map markers? Would be nice to be able to click the feather directly for that if you can't already (keep the button for discoverability though).

Alphons

Cipher
If you compare base ATOM with Dead City and then Trudograd, then they've certainly improved in the writing department.

Hopefully the new game follows this trend.

Nice to see them experimenting with totally new setting.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Praise be to Yevon! I see you guys noticed our kool promo materials, so I unforgot my password and here I am. Lovely to see the codex ever evolving with the times. This time, after I logged in, it made me save a bunch of weird WWII style enigma codes to my computer, these will reportedly allow me two-step authorisation in the future, very quaint!
How are all the team faring with the war? Glad they still can make games.
Eh, we manage, somewhat. Alive and mostly well!

How are all the team faring with the war? Glad they still can make games.
Their team was always international with people in Ukraine, Poland, Latvia and most likely other places.
That's true! Esat sveicināti!
Looks good. The viewable area of the map could possibly be wider in view?
Not in this case, in this case since this is a WIP we just basically didn't put the map borders where they should be. Borders are important!
Atomboy time to change username to Fairyboy eh?
Knowing the base plot of this one, I'd rather change it to LowmagicLad! No fairies at all.
Looks great, skeuomorphic UIs are best and so are stylized maps rather than a direct render of the area. Maybe have the paper texture shine through the map a bit.

Is the flag button for placing your own map markers? Would be nice to be able to click the feather directly for that if you can't already (keep the button for discoverability though).
That was the idea at first, but since everything else functions through buttons we scrapped the idea. Good notice tho!
Had some time the other week and plaid a ton of Trudograd. Really loving the game. I even went on a ship on the sea. Looking forward for anything ATOM.
Thanks man! This one will save some of the vibes for sure, but it will be different though.
Had some time the other week and plaid a ton of Trudograd. Really loving the game. I even went on a ship on the sea. Looking forward for anything ATOM.
This time they're making a fantasy game (it seems). While it may seem playing it a bit safe, I am looking forward to their take on the setting.
Ah, but this one is LOW MAGIC! And by low I mean there's none of it, at least at this moment in the development process.
If they will reconsider their entire approach to the writing, I'd be looking forward to their next project.
While we did tweak and twist the writing process for this one in a few significant ways, you'll probably still be disappointed. Though secretly you won't be! I'm sure of it.
If they will reconsider their entire approach to the writing, I'd be looking forward to their next project.

More importantly, they need to reconsider the combat.
Now that's something we really did reconsider. I'll be the one making combat this time around, and I can certainly say that while some stuff will remind one of ATOM's legacy, most of it already doesn't. More streamlined design, full party control, lots of skills with funny names you'll have to use to not die because of miserable base attack and base hitchance. Cool moves, some of which are HEMA inspired (you see, as an intellectual I've been studying the sword lately, just to use some historical moves in this game) and some of which are fun cartoony nonsense. WIP of course, might scrap later never quote me on anything.
Writing was excellent in the ATOM games and the combat was very prestigeus.
I agree! But trying new stuff is important, more combat wise than dialogue wise this time, but dialogues also got tweaked in the style and flow departments.
If you compare base ATOM with Dead City and then Trudograd, then they've certainly improved in the writing department.

Hopefully the new game follows this trend.

Nice to see them experimenting with totally new setting.
Thanks man! We're gonna do our best!

jackofshadows

Magister
While we did tweak and twist the writing process for this one in a few significant ways, you'll probably still be disappointed. Though secretly you won't be! I'm sure of it.
Nah man, if I will enjoy the writing in your next game I will say so. I value the cotex for that exact trait: to be ablee to express opinions freely which for me means simply honest and as I 100% think. Some happily and justly exploit that in many other ways though you're already aware I'm sure. So yeah, I'll most probably play the thing either way, just not exactly looking forward to it.

lightbane

Arcane
"Writing was excellent".
Except for stuff like some NPCs doing random 4th-wall breaking comments, or the blatant mockery of The Witcher that made no sense.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Nah man, if I will enjoy the writing in your next game I will say so. I value the cotex for that exact trait: to be ablee to express opinions freely which for me means simply honest and as I 100% think. Some happily and justly exploit that in many other ways though you're already aware I'm sure. So yeah, I'll most probably play the thing either way, just not exactly looking forward to it.
Well alright then! Who knows, maybe that will even happen, since we didn't put in as many funny jokes as in previous games. Since I can use Unity now I put most of my funny jokes into side projects I make in order to teach myself coding.
"Writing was excellent".
Except for stuff like some NPCs doing random 4th-wall breaking comments, or the blatant mockery of The Witcher that made no sense.
Hey we never MOCKED the Witcher! We made Rivlin of Silesia because we liked the book Witcher so much we wanted our own Witcher at home! Sure, to fit into Atom's world properly he was given certain negative traits like alcoholism and being a loser, but compared to average people of that universe he's still a legendary mutant slaying hero, only mentioned in awe-filled tales and never seen in person like a mythical demigod of sorts. A loving pastiche!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

We got the information above in tweets from the developer and then Atomboy turned up and kindly replied to some of our comments. Here's a summary of what he had to say:

The promo materials and everything else mentioned is of course very WIP.

There are no fairies because this is a low magic setting and currently it's actually a no magic setting.

The writing will be as good as in the ATOM games although it will be somewhat declined to meet the demands of less prestigious individuals.

The combat is more streamlined than in the ATOM games, full party control, lots of skills with funny names you'll have to use to not die because of miserable base attack and base hitchance. Cool moves, some of which are HEMA inspired (you see, as an intellectual I've been studying the sword lately, just to use some historical moves in this game) and some of which are fun cartoony nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
low magic is not no magic tho. atomboy said it's lo-magic so something like darklands, age of decadence, battle brothers etc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom