Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy - BG1-inspired low fantasy RPG From the ATOM TEAM

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looking forward to their new game. I hope they keep magic to the minimum, for example limited to some obscure rituals that require lots of preparations. So you can't just walk around and toss fireballs like in some dumb Forgotten Realms game.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Heyy that's pretty cool! We got a thread before we announced a proper name!
Take everything with a pinch of salt though, who knows where this road might lead us yet! Thanks for the support though! I have NO idea how to promote anything in the modern world, so natural interest is all we've got. We'll try to repost all upcoming teasers and info to this thread.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Take everything with a pinch of salt though, who knows where this road might lead us yet! Thanks for the support though! I have NO idea how to promote anything in the modern world, so natural interest is all we've got. We'll try to repost all upcoming teasers and info to this thread.

It's good you have no fairies, but what about dwarves?
Dwarves are low magic alright.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes, make Dwarves like Mexicans in 1950s USA.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
no magic is a cool idea but those promo tweets have 0 style
It's good you have no fairies,
21299.jpg

These things might be somehow related.

notpl

Arbiter
I haven't played it yet, but I was under the impression that atom was already no magic...
No, there's quite a bit of it. Same level or even greater as in something like Fallout or STALKER.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
how much interest KCD garners here as opposed to Skyrim

Magic makes everything better. But TBH most people who play Skyrim play as stealth archers or warriors and low magic is not "no magic", low magic would be like Conan, where magic is much more ritualistic and dangerous, instead of the typical artillery based evocation.

For eg, a powerful water mage in a high magical setting would be throwing frost meteors, conjuring geysers, summoning hordes of elementals and golems and so on, in a low magical setting a powerful water mage via very long rituals, under specific conditions, create a poisonous fog or freeze the enemy commander heart.

That depends on the setting. For eg, The Elder Scrolls dwarves are as high magic as ancient Netherese is in Forgotten Realms. Their steam magical constructs are still working aeons after they disappeared to who knows where.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Magic makes everything better. But TBH most people who play Skyrim play as stealth archers or warriors and low magic is not "no magic", low magic would be like Conan, where magic is much more ritualistic and dangerous, instead of the typical artillery based evocation.

For eg, a powerful water mage in a high magical setting would be throwing frost meteors, conjuring geysers, summoning hordes of elementals and golems and so on, in a low magical setting a powerful water mage via very long rituals, under specific conditions, create a poisonous fog or freeze the enemy commander heart.

That depends on the setting. For eg, The Elder Scrolls dwarves are as high magic as ancient Netherese is in Forgotten Realms. Their steam magical constructs are still working aeons after they disappeared to who knows where.
which makes low magic gay and obnoxious because I don't play games to engage in gruelling rituals, I want to have fun adventuring

biggest no-no for me when it comes to no magic is lack of enemy variety. Foreseeing lots of stupidly aggressive animals where it makes no sense.
I have found this a problem when creating my isometric high magic fantasy game, which starts out with no magic. The beginning combat is rather dull and I had to rethink everything with combat.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
biggest no-no for me when it comes to no magic is lack of enemy variety. Foreseeing lots of stupidly aggressive animals where it makes no sense.
you achieve better variety with creative faction design so you don't fight generic dudes in red or blue tabards

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Low-to no magic sounds incredibly boring. Unless there’s amazing writing or revolutionary gameplay I fail to see the appeal.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

Well there could be people with dwarfism I guess, sort of like Warwick Davis, he's pretty cool I guess.

Addressing the low magic thing,

Conan or Battle Brothers, or dare I mention one of my Japanese animes the Golden Age of Berserk are very close, actually, meaning the world has room for everything, including weird and magical stuff, both in its lore and its modernity, but you don't get fireball chuckers around every corner and especially not in the party. By the game currently being no-magic, I meant that currently, you cannot teach your party member any magic spells. But like, you can already meet a ghost, if you eat a certain toxic plant substance. Is the ghost magical? Is it a hallucination? Don't ask me! And maybe somewhere out there, there might live an actual magic wielder who can zap you, you just don't know it yet.
I remember playing the first Dark Sun game without knowing anything about the setting, thinking it was a gritty game about a bunch of conans the barbarians surviving in a huge desert and only finding out about the whole hobbit situation and psyonics and stuff dozens of hours later, it was a blast!

Also, low magic won't be our $elling point or anything like that. Another aspect will be. Meaning we have no real need to push for extra realism and make it an isometric KC:D either. Just like in Atom, our previous low magic game!
No! No or low magic isn't about realism. I'm not saying we have those or will have those, but just from the top of my head: let's say an encounter with a tribe of little forest men that drink a special juice that makes them really strong, or they spit armor melting acid at you, or they ride huge frogs into battle. As long as they don't materialize fireballs and are tangible living organisms that eat and go to the bathroom in their free time, they are an okay addition to a low-magic setting in my book, despite sounding pretty much fantastical. So any weird shit might find its way into this low magic game, long as it doesn't start teleporting around and becoming invisible through sheer willpower.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well there could be people with dwarfism I guess, sort of like Warwick Davis, he's pretty cool I guess.
Bah, human dwarves manlets (even if some of them are cool) are not the dwarves.
At least you won't have the elves either, so that's something I guess.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Now that's something we really did reconsider. I'll be the one making combat this time around, and I can certainly say that while some stuff will remind one of ATOM's legacy, most of it already doesn't. More streamlined design, full party control, lots of skills with funny names you'll have to use to not die because of miserable base attack and base hitchance. Cool moves, some of which are HEMA inspired (you see, as an intellectual I've been studying the sword lately, just to use some historical moves in this game) and some of which are fun cartoony nonsense. WIP of course, might scrap later never quote me on anything.

I'm not sure about the streamlined design but everything else is great news.

Consider me hyped.

:hypeship:

So, I'm guessing it just started, are we looking at 4-5 years of development here?

i hope there are some magic users in the world only so we can beat them up
conan-cover.webp

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Conan or Battle Brothers, or dare I mention one of my Japanese animes the Golden Age of Berserk are very close, actually, meaning the world has room for everything, including weird and magical stuff, both in its lore and its modernity, but you don't get fireball chuckers around every corner and especially not in the party. By the game currently being no-magic, I meant that currently, you cannot teach your party member any magic spells. But like, you can already meet a ghost, if you eat a certain toxic plant substance. Is the ghost magical? Is it a hallucination? Don't ask me! And maybe somewhere out there, there might live an actual magic wielder who can zap you, you just don't know it yet.
I remember playing the first Dark Sun game without knowing anything about the setting, thinking it was a gritty game about a bunch of conans the barbarians surviving in a huge desert and only finding out about the whole hobbit situation and psyonics and stuff dozens of hours later, it was a blast!

Also, low magic won't be our $elling point or anything like that. Another aspect will be. Meaning we have no real need to push for extra realism and make it an isometric KC:D either. Just like in Atom, our previous low magic game!
No! No or low magic isn't about realism. I'm not saying we have those or will have those, but just from the top of my head: let's say an encounter with a tribe of little forest men that drink a special juice that makes them really strong, or they spit armor melting acid at you, or they ride huge frogs into battle. As long as they don't materialize fireballs and are tangible living organisms that eat and go to the bathroom in their free time, they are an okay addition to a low-magic setting in my book, despite sounding pretty much fantastical. So any weird shit might find its way into this low magic game, long as it doesn't start teleporting around and becoming invisible through sheer willpower.
sorry nigga this time your game will be criminally uninteresting

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Now that's something we really did reconsider. I'll be the one making combat this time around, and I can certainly say that while some stuff will remind one of ATOM's legacy, most of it already doesn't. More streamlined design, full party control, lots of skills with funny names you'll have to use to not die because of miserable base attack and base hitchance. Cool moves, some of which are HEMA inspired (you see, as an intellectual I've been studying the sword lately, just to use some historical moves in this game) and some of which are fun cartoony nonsense. WIP of course, might scrap later never quote me on anything.

I'm not sure about the streamlined design but everything else is great news.

Consider me hyped.

:hypeship:

So, I'm guessing it just started, are we looking at 4-5 years of development here?

i hope there are some magic users in the world only so we can beat them up
conan-cover.webp
By streamlining the design I mean there won't be clicking and mouseholding to give orders to companions, etc, the battle ui is pretty slick at the moment, and you just control your party people just like you control yourself. No need to setup behaviors and such. Just choose your fella and tell him what to do and he does it! Thanks! On 4-5 years oooh I really hope not. That's a really long time. I hope for half that time, or even a third, but it's hard to say.

sorry nigga this time your game will be criminally uninteresting
I'm sure it'll get itself a nice little niche! Atom Team's very own Lionheart, can you imagine?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So, is it going to be similar to a Conan-esque setting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom