Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggest me some good open-world rpg

Malpercio

Arcane
Cities to explore, landscapes to see, a lot of NPCs around the world and hopefully some good old C&C (or quests that aren't just shitty fetch quests)

I'm looking for something recent with a nice overworld. Nothing against retrogaming, but i want to look at something pretty, sometimes.

Already played, G3, New Vegas, Skyshit, Bugblivion, Amlourzzzz, G2, Arcanum and Risen 1-2.

I'm in your hands codex. Do not fuck with me.

Outmind

Augur
I am sorry for the thread hijack, but my question will help you out as well: What's the name of that "infinite" rpg that got funded by kickstarter a while back, with endless cities, items monsters etc?

Luzur

Good Sir
have you tried Daggerfall?

I am sorry for the thread hijack, but my question will help you out as well: What's the name of that "infinite" rpg that got funded by kickstarter a while back, with endless cities, items monsters etc?

i think i know what you mean, a party based RPG kinda like Might and Magic, with auto-generated landscape?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I don't think there are any good openworlders that are even close to "good". however, if you can stomach worse graphics, you definitely should try:

Wizardry 8

Might&Magic 6-8

and the earlier iterations + darklands if you decide to take on retrogaming.

Might & Magic serie, Ultima serie or Piranha Bytes games. Lots of DOS ones also: the original Wasteland comes to mind amongst a hundred of others from the late 80s/early 90s.
(Sorry, didn't see that you expected recent ones). I'd say the Pirhana Bytes games then. I really liked Risen 2 but some people hate it with valid reasons. But seeing that you already played it, I don't see anything else from recent times.

If you don't expect the depth of an Ultima game and treat it as a game from another franchise, Ultima IX is fun little 3D arcade-adventure with strong RPGs overtones and gorgeous sceneries for the times (I'll always remember seeing the sun rise over Trinsic or the gargoyle underwater city).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Cities to explore, landscapes to see, a lot of NPCs around the world and hopefully some good old C&C (or quests that aren't just shitty fetch quests)

I'm looking for something recent with a nice overworld. Nothing against retrogaming, but i want to look at something pretty, sometimes.
Sadly, the best thing you'll find in this sense are in consoles (Dragons Dogma) or in MMOs....or just stop being a graphic whore and go play Darklands. :P

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/malevolence/malevolence-the-infinite-rpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't think either Daggerfall or Darklands qualify.

Daggerfall: nothing remotely interesting to explore, see or interact with outside of the main quest. The landscape is totally featureless.
Darklands: the landscape is not very interesting to explore, cities are just menues (but personally I prefer that to walking back and forth in huge empty cities looking for NPCs) and there aren't any interesting NPCs (and those that you can recruit are clones of each other).

MM6-8 is a much better suggestion, IMO.

Malpercio

Arcane
Sadly, the best thing you'll find in this sense are in consoles (Dragons Dogma) or in MMOs....or just stop being a graphic whore and go play Darklands. :P

Oh please, i just finish Anachronox and i'm playing Ys 2, a 1990 game. :P

Dragon Dogma seems interesting but unfortunately i don't own a PS3 or a 360. =/

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
You're looking for Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny and Star Trail.

T4ihy.jpg

This is the world map for Star Trail. It's got a very loose plot - find the Salamander Stone - and dumps you in this massive world without giving you much direction. Star Trail has some of the best exploration of any game I've ever played and it has an incredibly in-depth and fun character skill system that allows you to make choices and interact with the world in the way you choose. It's a game that never limits what you can do or tells you how to play, which is what I think you're looking for.

Blade of Destiny is less polished than Star Trail and maybe a little more frustrating at parts too, but they're both great games that you need to play if you care about open-world RPGs, exploration and complex character mechanics.

Morkar Left

Already played, G3, New Vegas, Skyshit, Bugblivion, Amlourzzzz, G2, Arcanum and Risen 1-2.

I'm in your hands codex. Do not fuck with me.

Probably to oldschool for you but try Bloodstone from Mindcraft Software (1993) and Fate - Gates of Dawn (Amiga emulation needed, 1991), Starflight 1+2 (preferably Amiga version for ease of use, mousesupport + automining is great). Fallout 1+2, BG 1+2 of course and the U5+6 remakes for the dungeon siege engine.

EDIT: I forgot; if you're not afraid of lots of tactical combat, money-management and not too much nps interaction and quests: Jagged Alliance 2 of course.

Kahlis

Cipher
The first two games in the Realms of Arkania series and Betrayal at Krondor.

Krondor is a more story-driven game (divided into chapters with different party members), but you can explore the majority of the world throughout with different quests and encounters during each chapter. Characters improve skills through use and there's a lot of interesting equipment, magic items, spells and what-have-you to be found. In some areas there's literally a chest or other stash hidden every 100 feet - the game world may not be much to look at visually, but it doesn't feel too sparse. You're pretty much driven to explore both to improve your characters and because every town has different merchants and items for sale, so even selling loot becomes a bit of an excursion every time. The combat system, whilst somewhat nonstandard, also has a bit of a tactical charm to it as character positioning can be very important in some instances.

The Arkania games are closer to an oldschool pen-and-paper experience - and probably one of the best of its kind for the early 90's. Party-based, skill checks, camping and rationing as you travel across the overland map. But it's kind of hard to say which is closer to what you'd want. Blade of Destiny has clumsy stepwise movement and horrible music, and suffers from a severe shortage of graphical assets so all the dungeons and towns are pretty much identical. Most of the interesting stuff happens through text pop-ups. So whether the world is really that interesting to explore is debatable. Still, I always felt like the game was more "varied" than Star Trail in terms of the amount of wilderness encounters, the various naval routes, and dungeons. Star Trail is far more polished, but there are very few towns and dungeons with virtually all of them being a part of the main quest. Not as much exploration - but every location has its own unique appearance and has more interesting encounters/puzzles overall.

I'm looking for suggestions outside of these too, actually. Especially games like Realms of Arkania.

Malpercio

Arcane
How's Mount&Blade Warband bros? I just realized i have it installed on my PC.

Fezzik

Cipher
Never played it, but I seem to recall some codexers (nomask? Crispy?) praising Two Worlds II.

sser

Arcane
Developer
M&B Warband is awesome, but it's also what you make of it. You rove around a large map of various cultures and gather armies up and go attack shit. You can fight in tournaments, gather a band of heroes who often hate one another, storm castles, defend castles, watch a procedural map unfurl as the factions go to war, winning and losing them, and you can pledge allegiance to any side, or capture a weakened castle and claim independence... etc. etc. It's pretty fucking fun, IMO. The first time you step foot into a large scale battle will blow you away.

Saxon1974

Prophet
The Magic Candle. Oh wait you said newer game. I don't think there are any recent open world games that are that good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom