Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggest me some good open-world rpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
ARMA 2. :yeah:

Yes, it fits your description. :M

Chernarus.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
If you dont mind primitive villages in a procedure-generated Ice/Bronze Age, I recommend Unreal World.

The world got several people, each people populated in a group around one region, and live together in several villages. The game generated the world, river, villages, every thing.

It got particular fun when you are hunting items in shops.You travel from one village to another to browse.

pauliec

Novice
I'm not going to start another thread so i'll ask here instead for those who played these 2 games : how are the quests (secondary + main) in New Vegas and Skyrim? I mean , are there only classic shitty fetch quests or something more interesting?
I must say i played those 2 for about 2-3 hours combined so i couldn't really see what's next..

CorpseZeb

Learned
New?

Two Worlds II I guess...

Ahw... open'ish rather (also, half area of game world is meant for multiplayer...), not to mention that you must survive "the tutorial island" which is not a small feat.

Ps. Nobody mention Stalker (the first one especially) yet. Granted, we stretch here a bit an RPG elements definition, but... Stalker does offer an RPG'ish experience. Excellent one, I say.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yes, that's correct. But you must start your adventure from the beginning.

Ps. Ideally, they should removed the first chapter as well. And rewrite the "story" completely. And change that stupid "chinese-samurai" design that flourish proudly on one of islands. That said, I rather like TW II.

Mortmal

Arcane
New and open world with choice and consequences etc ? Stop dreaming , if those games were still existing we would be playing the hell out of them and not bitching on codex. Theres nothing period , unless you want to delve in the abandonware.

SinVraal

Educated
fPDEm.jpg

Betrayal in Antara
Would you mind giving a slight review of that game? Been considering that one and I would love to get the refined views of a fellow Codexer.

EDIT - Ooops sorry for derailing thread.

Suchy

Arcane
It's worth giving a try. The gameplay is pretty much identical to Betrayal at Krondor - TB combat, story driven, heavy focus on exploration. Writing is not too bad (nothing close to BaK, though), but suffers from terrible voice acting and ugly character graphics. Seriously, I preferred digitized portraits with fake beards in BaK over this. The game world is huge, with shitton of quests.
While BaK for me is still the best of them all, a 10/10 game, I'd give BiA a solid 6.5, maybe 7.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
fPDEm.jpg

Betrayal in Antara
Would you mind giving a slight review of that game? Been considering that one and I would love to get the refined views of a fellow Codexer.

EDIT - Ooops sorry for derailing thread.
Positives
- Interesting setting
- Interesting story
- Huge world
- Lots of hidden stuff
- Interesting spell research system
- Probably more text than BaK

Negatives
- Lame voice acting
- Game looks dated even for the time it came out
- Characters aren't as cool as in BaK (they're basically whiny young adults)
- Game can be very buggy (I had no problems with it)

SinVraal

Educated
Sounds worth checking out. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom