Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storm of Zehir first impressions

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I pre-ordered and got a real good deal, but now have to wait until the 4th December. For some reason they pushed the Australia/New Zealand release date out.

Why do they hates usss, whyyy??? :(

serch

Magister
Annie Carlson said:
You know, I've been crawling through the internet looking for reviews and finding diddily-squat, so I was like "ok... I'll hit up the Codex. Time to put on the flak vest." And yet ZOMG this goodness is making me feel all... what's this strange sensation, like my heart is being tickled by... butterfly wings? Is this - happiness? IT BURNS! But... in an enjoyable fashion! AIEEEE!

Mandatory "No, they're multiheaded dicks hitting ass, legs and tights, oh God it's haevan!" reply.

Black

Arcane
Someone do a live-stream of playing SoZ dammit, it probably won't be released here til 2009

Solaris

Scholar
Sounds fuckin great. Thanks for those first impressions. Can't wait til friday.

So the gameplay sounds great, but as above- how does the game stand up from a technical point of view?....bugs and performance issues (on what was a mid- high end rig) pretty much wrecked NWN2 OC for me til they patched things up somewhat....I guess its improved or you guys would have said, but want to make sure....once bitten twice shy, as they say.

Also, I take it this is more text based dialogue than the sometimes cutscene heavy voiceover stuff of the OC/MotB? , apart from the bit on the boat at the beginning.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Annie Carlson said:
You know, I've been crawling through the internet looking for reviews and finding diddily-squat, so I was like "ok... I'll hit up the Codex. Time to put on the flak vest." And yet ZOMG this goodness is making me feel all... what's this strange sensation, like my heart is being tickled by... butterfly wings? Is this - happiness? IT BURNS! But... in an enjoyable fashion! AIEEEE!
ORGASMIC!!

Hey, the Codex takes care of its interests, Annie. Rest assured, though, sooner or later - no matter how small - we WILL find something to bitch and moan about. :wink:

...seriously, though, thank you. I hope you guys dig on it. And HOW AWESOME, to people who have played it, are the opening illustrations? Eh? I nearly snorted Dr. Pepper out my nose the first time I saw Volo's "rejected" book - that page is the work of the immensely-talented Justin Cherry, with the also-immensely-talented Brian Menze contributing as well. Man I am proud of the SoZ team :)
They are very awesome!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've enjoyed what you have written so far Annie, well done.

And I re-started and I got that fucking hidden feat from the beginning! Having all your casters memorize nothing but healing spells helped. heh

Kogorn

Novice
Solaris said:
Sounds fuckin great. Thanks for those first impressions. Can't wait til friday.

So the gameplay sounds great, but as above- how does the game stand up from a technical point of view?....bugs and performance issues (on what was a mid- high end rig) pretty much wrecked NWN2 OC for me til they patched things up somewhat....I guess its improved or you guys would have said, but want to make sure....once bitten twice shy, as they say.

Also, I take it this is more text based dialogue than the sometimes cutscene heavy voiceover stuff of the OC/MotB? , apart from the bit on the boat at the beginning.

Technical: I'm not that knowledgeable technical-wise, but here's my 2cents. I'm playing on my laptop (3GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 M GS, Dual Core 2.1GHz processors) It seems like there was a lot actually invested in QA & Testing this time. The graphics look great, sound is beautiful, and I've encountered almost no graphics lag. The only graphics bug I've noticed is, on occasion there will be a "graphics chug" on the overworld map. Example: I move my character North and the graphics will "skip," showing my character there, and then will go back to where he was and show the animation of him walking north. It happens very rarely, but it does happen. Otherwise, everything looks great, works fine and makes the game enjoyable. As of now, I have not encountered one CTD or any other type of game-destroying errors.
The only major in-game bugs I've noticed so far have to do with my party leader's familiar (who for whatever reason, won't follow when you put him on follow mode). In addition, though I haven't had much time to confirm this fully yet, the hp bonus from the beetle familiar appears to affect the entire party (my party leader was a wizard), not just the master as it should.

Dialogue: You are correct, in that there are very few cutscenes; most of the dialogue is text-based. However, the dialogue is very good, and most major characters (even the merchants) have their opening lines voiced. The most important npcs have almost all their lines voiced. This allows the player to take full advantage of the party-chat system, which is implemented well. The small checks you can make in npc conversations (via bluff, diplomacy, etc.) actually do change the tone of the dialogue. So far, the outcomes have been more or less the same (unless you deliberately try and provoke combat) but that hasn't hurt my perception of the game thus far.

Overall, I'm very happy that I purchased SoZ the second Direct2Drive put it up online. I've been enjoying it ever since...to the detriment of the end-of-term paper that I have to write :P

Ashery

Prophet
Any idea of when a combo pack including NWN2, MotB, and SoZ will be coming out?

Solaris

Scholar
Kogorn,

Thanks for that.
SoZ is looking like a definate purchase then. :)

whitemithrandir

Erudite
I JUST SHAT A BRICK. BRB, GOING TO GAMESTOP RIGHT NOW.

THEY'D BETTER FUCKING HAVE IT.

...seriously, though, thank you. I hope you guys dig on it. And HOW AWESOME, to people who have played it, are the opening illustrations? Eh? I nearly snorted Dr. Pepper out my nose the first time I saw Volo's "rejected" book - that page is the work of the immensely-talented Justin Cherry, with the also-immensely-talented Brian Menze contributing as well. Man I am proud of the SoZ team

Sorry to rain on your parade... but... Codex approved games almost always fail commercially.

THIS. MOTHERFUCKING THIS. Also, any chance of it coming out before Christmas?

I have two nieces and a nephew and one of them thinks Final Fantasy VII is the best game ever.

I hope the combo pack is heavy because I'm going to slap that son of a bitch upside the head so hard he'll feel it all the way into next year.

Texas Red

Whiner
Annie Carlson said:

...seriously, though, thank you. I hope you guys dig on it. And HOW AWESOME, to people who have played it, are the opening illustrations? Eh? I nearly snorted Dr. Pepper out my nose the first time I saw Volo's "rejected" book - that page is the work of the immensely-talented Justin Cherry, with the also-immensely-talented Brian Menze contributing as well. Man I am proud of the SoZ team :)

I've been reading the official Bio board and everyone seems to love it.

You wish you were at Obsidian HQs right now celebrating with champagne, right?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Kogorn said:
[Dialogue: You are correct, in that there are very few cutscenes; most of the dialogue is text-based. However, the dialogue is very good, and most major characters (even the merchants) have their opening lines voiced. The most important npcs have almost all their lines voiced. This allows the player to take full advantage of the party-chat system, which is implemented well. The small checks you can make in npc conversations (via bluff, diplomacy, etc.) actually do change the tone of the dialogue. So far, the outcomes have been more or less the same (unless you deliberately try and provoke combat) but that hasn't hurt my perception of the game thus far.

Are subtitles still mandatory?

Texas Red

Whiner
whitemithrandir said:
Dark Individual said:
I've been reading the official Bio board and everyone seems to love it.

Fuck the Bio boards. Only Volourn frequents that shithole.

You'd be surprised to know that most posters are clearly more intelligent and coherent than on most other boards.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ashery said:
yes, please.

Dark Individual said:
You'd be surprised to know that most posters are clearly more intelligent and coherent than on most other boards.
is it still full of people thinking katanas were the best swords ever devised, and that european ones were used mainly for bludgeoning people to death, as it was back in the nwn days?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
whitemithrandir said:
I have two nieces and a nephew and one of them thinks Final Fantasy VII is the best game ever.
Give me their e-mail adresses, Whitey. I'll set them straight.

Dark Individual said:
The posters are often alright. Incredible stupid, yes, but alright. It's the Bio-moderators that suck ass. Page limits, oh no you said shit, we don't allow that discussion in this particular part of the forum, THREAD LOCKED. Fuck them in the ass. And if they like that, then fuck them in the nose instead.

Pseudofool

Scholar
there are three camera modes and lots of sliders, so you'll find something you like.
game runs fine on my five year old machine and my three year old nvidia card.

I spent about two-three hours making my team; so i've only just now gotten to the first town. I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the skill checks, it's awesome, but it's unclear how much the skill checks actually lead towards on improbably outcome.

me likes

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Only Volourn frequents that shithole."

'Frequents' is not quite the word. I hardly post there. R00fles!

Kogorn

Novice
Dicksmoker said:
Kogorn said:
[Dialogue: You are correct, in that there are very few cutscenes; most of the dialogue is text-based. However, the dialogue is very good, and most major characters (even the merchants) have their opening lines voiced. The most important npcs have almost all their lines voiced. This allows the player to take full advantage of the party-chat system, which is implemented well. The small checks you can make in npc conversations (via bluff, diplomacy, etc.) actually do change the tone of the dialogue. So far, the outcomes have been more or less the same (unless you deliberately try and provoke combat) but that hasn't hurt my perception of the game thus far.

Are subtitles still mandatory?

To be honest, I forget if subtitles were in the opening cinematic. However, since there are next to no cutscenes in the game itself, I doubt they will be much of a concern.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Several of us finally found a place that had some copies in stock and we bought our copies.

Yes, we get copies for free, eventually, but I like to support evey game I work on.

Gonna start playing tonight.

(edit: playing AGAIN I mean, obviously I have played it already)

Texas Red

Whiner
Anthony Davis said:
Several of us finally found a place that had some copies in stock and we bought our copies.

Yes, we get copies for free, eventually, but I like to support evey game I work on.

Gonna start playing tonight.

(edit: playing AGAIN I mean, obviously I have played it already)

Send one of those copies to the Codex for a review. This is a prestigious magazine.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Anthony Davis said:
how about some real answers to real issues plaguing real people instead of meaningless banter from the glamorous lives of game developers?
Ashery said:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Annie Carlson said:

Give us some time, will ya! I'm sure we'll manage to fill this thread with angry bitching as soon as gamers other than fanbois get their hands on your baby :twisted:

Jora

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
how about some real answers to real issues plaguing real people instead of meaningless banter from the glamorous lives of game developers?
Seriously, can't some of you guys drop the attitude for a second? The people of Obsidian have made a game they are proud of, stop doing your internet tough guy act and give them a break. When is the combo pack going to be released? Anthony sure as hell doesn't know. Considering he'll probably have a shitload of coding and patching to do while at work, it shouldn't kill you to let him post some meaningless (really? to whom?) banter if he feels like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom