Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storm of Zehir first impressions

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I downloaded SoZ from Direct2Drive the other night and had a fun play through so far.

Some initial thoughts so far:

TONY K'S MOTHER FUCKING AI!
Yes!! Now all your fucking companions are no longer fucking idiots, and you now have plethora of options so they are not so stupid.
If you purchase SoZ, (IIRC, not tested) this is now the DEFUALT Behavior/AI. Period.

Fancy shmancy new GUI!
The new GUI for dialogues is nice. Though once Purgatorio is released, you will want to replace them all with the Purg one. THEY ARE FUCKING SWEET!

Writing:
good...What little I have had so far is good. I'm not that far, so I'll see how this turns out.

Overland Map!
FUCKING AWESOME! The mod community are going to do some very cool shit with this. It is a fun and neat feature. You basically select one of your NPC's as a "leader" and based off of thier skills, you can spot creatures, hid from them, run from them, fight them. Find hidden items etc... really pretty cool.

Skill Checks:
JEBUS FUCKING CHRISTMAS! THE ENTIRE FUCKIN GAME (so far) REQUIRES THIS! This is a good thing! You need to think where you are putting all those skill points.

Here is a chart:

Storm of Zehir Skill Check's:
8==============================================================================================================D

Fallout 3 Skill Ckecks:
8=====D

Music
Very very very good.

In Game impressions(MILD SPOILER):
I initially though LOL! NWN2 combat! I'll just make a party of hafling fighters.
You Start the game, then get to add 3 more NPC's. Then are transported to the Beginning area. Guess what? You have NO FUCKING WEAPONS and (depending on your skills) need to search for some really fucking quick, as you are about to have a battle. You *can* gain some simple weapons in dialogue via skill checks. Depending on the party you make, this can be a bit difficult. Because you can no longer rest anytime you want, makes battles quite more challenging.

New chat system:
Basically when there is a conversation (With another person, or objects too), there is also small portraits of everyone in your party, in the dialogue GUI. When in conversation, if one of the other NPC possibly has a skill that will add to the conversation, a small "speech bubble" appears at the bottom right corner of their portrait. You then can click on that NPC's portrait and see the response they can add to the conversation, based on the skills they have.

For example (MILD SPOILER)
In the beginning area, there are plants, that you can examine. If you have an NPC with the heal skill, simply click on their portrait, and you will see a new dialogue option, using the Heal Skill, and are able to extract a healing kit from the plant.

Rest System:
FUCKING AWESOME. No more resting EVERYWHERE. Nope OEI says a big FUCK YOU to people wanting to rest. You can only rest in the local Inn and the Overland Map, and must pay 50 gold each time you rest, if you rest in the Inn. (I have not found anyplace yet where I could rest).

Death System:
NPC's now Bleed when under 0 HP, and can DIE. You need to heal them ASAP, otherwise you will need to resurrect them. The game features "Coins of Life" that allow you to resurrect any NPC when killed. at the beginning of the game, all NPC's start with 1. You can also buy them at the temple, for a cost of around... I think it was 300GP? (Not certain on that number).

Crafting
FINALLY, now you actually HAVE to physically own a "recipe" that you can find in encounters or at stores. In order to craft stuff now ANY of your NPC's just needs the skill, the recipe and then the required components. I hated the crafting in the OC and just never used it at all. And the MotB crafting was just too easy. Now it is perfect.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Playing a party with: Bard, Cleric, Rogue and Ranger. I have 1 NPC that I picked up in the first town. And there was another one, but so far I can only have 5 characters total. I believe there is a feat that unlocks it to 6 NPC total. I just gotta figure where that is.

Also, at Inn's, this is where you can get rid of your NPC's completely. Roll up new ones, or switch out NPC's. I am really liking that.

Anyways, that all I have to say for now. Just let me know if you have any more questions on this.

I need to get my fucking bard to level 7 ASAP, so he can fucking heal the party.

OLD SK00L BITCHES!!!!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fuck you Jaesun, I hate you. I stopped reading after you wrote how awesome all those small things in SoZ are because I hate you now.

Kogorn

Novice
I agree with all of Jaesun's comments. SoZ is an incredible implementation of "old school" D&D basics. I'm having a lot of fun playing through with a traditional party (fighter, rogue, cleric, mage) though if I get bored I'm able to switch out any of them for something different at the inn.

The only gripes that I have with the game so far:
--On occasion, it can seem like random encounters spawn WAY too frequently. The first time I exited the city I had EL4 skeleton, zombie and EL6 gnolls pop up right next to the town. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the game didn't have to load a map for each of these encounters (load times are still long). However, guards patrol the roads and sometimes handle these encounters for you if you don't feel like plowing through all of them.
--Party leader's familiar does not follow the party in follow/puppet mode (Bug, I'm assuming)

deranged

Cipher
I just don't get it. It's a global economy isn't it? WHY I am not able to download it if I live in Europe or Australia but I can if I live in NA? ???

And they blame rapidshare....

1eyedking

Erudite
Jaesun said:
For example (MILD SPOILER)
In the beginning area, there are plants, that you can examine. If you have an NPC with the heal skill, simply click on their portrait, and you will see a new dialogue option, using the Heal Skill, and are able to extract a healing kit from the plant.
Holy shit, if I use Craft Weapons on iron I can extract swords?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Darth Roxor said:
So, you can play and enjoy the game already, eh?

well, fuck you :evil:

Well yea, people in the US, Canada, and Mexico and buy it now on Direct2Drive..

Though one would *assume* that by using a proxy, you could also d/l now too. Granted, it would then be the English version. ;)

And I just re-started. I needed to re-think my skills and also giving someone some crafting feats.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anyway SoZ was and it seems is my most anticipated game of 2008.
I will miss MotB level cohorts though, but there are too many other old-school thingies that do IT to me instead

KevinV12000

Arcane
Glad this thread is here as I was planning on giving my first impressions as well this morning.

CAUTION: LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD

Right off the bat, with the new launcher skin and music, you can tell what the developers were shooting for: an homage to classic CRPG games. The intro music is very well done and completely evocative of early-era CRPG music. It sets the tone quite nicely.

After creation of the “main” character, you begin by finding yourself at sea, on a trading ship, where the captain asks you to log the other members of your party. Interaction with this log brings up the new party creation screen, which allows you slots for 3 more members of your party. Character creation is the same as usual for NWN2, but with the addition of two new races (Yuan-Ti Pureblood and Grey Orc) and a new class (the Swashbuckler, a light fighter). There is also a new prestige class and it appears that there are a number of new spells.

I decided to create a party in honor of the four best players I ever DM’ed live by going with their characters: Armand, a half-elf Swashbuckler (was a Weapon Finesse, two-handed Fighter in DnD); Oswald, an unusually intelligent and wise half-orc Barbarian/Cleric; and a gnome husband and wife duo, Gerron, a Rogue/Illusionist and Shalya, a Druid.

The new dialog interaction is very cool, as you can select your characters across an icon bar and see what new dialog options they bring to the table. This also intuitively makes a lot of sense, because as we all know from social situations there are times when persons present at a discussion but not leading them interject with observations, questions or comments. It works very, very well and I expect this to be standard for the genre from here on out.

The opening sequence, involving Realms-famous author Volo, is good. The party finds itself shipwrecked on the jungle coast, with the natives looking ready to barbecue the survivors. As Volo attempts to parlay, the party has to use its skills to fashion weapons and other helpful items in case Volo’s charm fails him.

This scramble against time works well and gets the party right in the flow of things. From there, it’s off to the main town and introduction into the main quest line, which has the party entering the employ of one of the great merchant houses.

The artwork is stunning. The level of detail and obvious loving care it is rendered with is fantastic.

Dialog is well done. After playing Fallout 3 for a few days it is a welcome relief.

The new inventory system includes a cargo wagon for holding resources, like ore, and trade bars, which are used by the various merchant houses as stand-ins for currency. Recipes for crafting are available and the party can use ore and other resources found to either trade or make items.

The new death system corrects what is, to me, the biggest flaw in the NWN games. Combat is now meaningful again. Healing spells are now precious. Maximizing resources and saving spells for when necessary are again restored to their rightful place in the DnD system. Very well done indeed.

The NPCs are interesting, with nice stories, and bring some specialized equipment and abilities to the table.

The overland system is revolutionary. You can see how they modified a regular NWN map to implement it and it’s genius. No longer is travel just point and click. My barbarian proved his worth again and again as his Survival skills guided me overland with enough speed to avoid wandering monsters.

I’ve just started and am determined to take my time. I’m going to enjoy this one.

Unlike so much of the over-produced and over-hyped crap shoved down our throats these days, it is beyond obvious that this game was made by people who view games as more than just a vehicle for revenue-per-unit.

Highly recommended.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i liked how the ship in the screenies was actually a bigger one and not just a small boat, like they usually are. small details like that tend to be a positive sign.

Black

Arcane
Hey people who already can play SoZ, guess what?
FUCK YOU

Texas Red

Whiner
racofer said:
How about camera and optimization? Does it still require Crysis-Class computer to deliver NWN 1,5 graphics?

Jesus fucking Christ, man.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
You know, I've been crawling through the internet looking for reviews and finding diddily-squat, so I was like "ok... I'll hit up the Codex. Time to put on the flak vest." And yet ZOMG this goodness is making me feel all... what's this strange sensation, like my heart is being tickled by... butterfly wings? Is this - happiness? IT BURNS! But... in an enjoyable fashion! AIEEEE!

...seriously, though, thank you. I hope you guys dig on it. And HOW AWESOME, to people who have played it, are the opening illustrations? Eh? I nearly snorted Dr. Pepper out my nose the first time I saw Volo's "rejected" book - that page is the work of the immensely-talented Justin Cherry, with the also-immensely-talented Brian Menze contributing as well. Man I am proud of the SoZ team :)

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Great, now I'm hyped...

Thanks for nothing you playing-it-already twats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom