Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Ventessel

Literate
and all of them you can have for free already with mods.

please, mercy, not this discussion again.
Feel free to link me to a previous discussion, if it exists. I'm just wondering why you would object to lasers in space versus projectile or missile weapons.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Norfleet

I tried the 1.4.1 alpha/beta version and it's still unplayable. AI is still worse than shit and doesn't even grab empty territory.
Well, the game does include a lot of mechanics to heavily punish territorial expansion, so maybe the AI is tuned for that, whereas you're playing the game in a Zerg rush.

Dyson Spheres are kinda stupid honestly. How much material is necessary? I think you would have to strip-mine entire systems?
Constructing a Dyson Sphere at a radius of about 1 AU would involve an amount of mass equivalent to a large asteroid, likely formed into some kind of nanocarbon sheet, which would be supported radiation pressure from the star itself.

Since both radiation and gravity scale at same rate with respect distance, you could build this at any distance, with corresponding increase in amount of sheeting required.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
I tried the 1.4.1 alpha/beta version and it's still unplayable. AI is still worse than shit and doesn't even grab empty territory. Guess who now has 20 planets and the biggest fleet because of that. A mega-exploit from earlier versions is still not fixed, which is not surprising since their only programmer probably got raped by a homo muslim and is now suffering from PRSD.

The AI seems to avoid going past 5 planets and having to make sectors, wisely the AI dont trust the AI taking care of the sectors.

although another issue might be that the AI only build one science vessel AFAIK and they actually dont know about those planets that they are able to colonise. Just exchange maps with the AI and you will see that they normally only explored a few systems outside their borders.

Prime Junta

Constructing a Dyson Sphere at a radius of about 1 AU would involve an amount of mass equivalent to a large asteroid, likely formed into some kind of nanocarbon sheet, which would be supported radiation pressure from the star itself.

You talked me into it. When do we start?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
C3-h2alWIAEfQ61.jpg

Psi Corps?
I really want to be :bounce: for this.

Norfleet

When we figure out how to mass-produce nanocarbon sheeting. At that point we'll have materials of the required density to produce statites, the first step towards making the wall for the sphere.

Then we'll just need to find a Space-Mexico to pay for the wall.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
When we figure out how to mass-produce nanocarbon sheeting. At that point we'll have materials of the required density to produce statites, the first step towards making the wall for the sphere.

Then we'll just need to find a Space-Mexico to pay for the wall.

Any ideas for what particular star systems to look for such creatures?

Ventessel

Literate
Is ground combat still completely broken? Last I checked, while making a mod, attacking armies didn't receive any morale damage which basically made a unit's combat value as simple as Damage * Health

I'd wager that its basically impossible to "fix" ground combat in Stellaris, the economics of the game don't allow it. When you have hundreds of planets and attack armies are just as cheap* as defense armies it's a futile point to invest in defense.

MoO2 worked because # of planets was much smaller, defensive armies were free, offensive armies were hugely expensive and 1-use, and combat was based on attack vs. defense dicerolls with everyone having 1HP, so even winners took casualties and invasions were expensive.

*Actually they are twice as expensive IIRC but they get a 2x combat bonus after bombardment so it evens out anyway.

kris

Arcane
I hadn't played the game much, so now that I started a new game on "Hard" I was almost shocked how much the AI must cheat. I had 25 planets, the AI 7. My fleet was capped, but the AI fleet was 250% stronger than mine. Even if I could easily rebuild mine, it would be pointless going into battle as i would hardly inflict any losses on them.

anyone experienced have any suggestions? get counter weapon/defense?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not "only" cheating. Players tend to use only the available limit for their fleets whereas AI doesn't mind going vastly over it, if it has enough energy.
You could try that too.

Also hit and run tactics tend to work pretty well, jump in defenseless systems and destroy spaceports/bombard planets and jump away.
When you fight, scan debris whenever possible to get better techs.

* The numbers you say indicate that the AI was probaly a Fallen Empire / Awakened Empire, am I right? They are a different matter..

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd wager that its basically impossible to "fix" ground combat in Stellaris, the economics of the game don't allow it. When you have hundreds of planets and attack armies are just as cheap* as defense armies it's a futile point to invest in defense.

MoO2 worked because # of planets was much smaller, defensive armies were free, offensive armies were hugely expensive and 1-use, and combat was based on attack vs. defense dicerolls with everyone having 1HP, so even winners took casualties and invasions were expensive.

All of those can be modded, doe .

Stellaris needs more scarcity and darkness

kris

Arcane
* The numbers you say indicate that the AI was probaly a Fallen Empire / Awakened Empire, am I right? They are a different matter..

Nope. but I had not upgraded my fleet properly (big map, early game). As i got wormhole tech I can easily burn all their orbital mines/research.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I hadn't played the game much, so now that I started a new game on "Hard" I was almost shocked how much the AI must cheat. I had 25 planets, the AI 7. My fleet was capped, but the AI fleet was 250% stronger than mine. Even if I could easily rebuild mine, it would be pointless going into battle as i would hardly inflict any losses on them.

Was it 250% stronger in fleet power, or fleet cap? Because the former would indicate that - aside from cheating - they may have also built up a tech lead due to less research cost inflation due to number of controlled planets.

Norfleet

Fleet power is also often extremely misleading. By the time you have some tech options open, it is not unlikely to encounter a situation where you can reasonably take on enemy fleets that have 5x your power and utterly destroy them on the field without a single loss, as the AI builds his fleets based purely on "what gives me a bigger arbitrary power number", and not things such as "what systems synergize together to make me invincible in battle". The result can be a situation where the AI's effective DPS is so low and his range is so pitifully short that you can outtank anything that survives being annihilated at range.

Fleet Power is basically your Paper Tiger Index. It intimidates your neighbors and impresses upon them the notion that your fleet may be superior...but it does not necessarily make it so. AIs repeatedly declare war on me because their fleets are "so much more superior" than mine, only to find that my ships punch far above their weight and utterly annihilate them at 10:1 odds. If you've watched the AI design ships, they're basically a random hodgepodge of mismatched weapons and defenses, half of which cannot fire at any given point. It's better to have one gun that can lance your opponent from afar than to have 3 guns that can't even reach him. Love is a warm particle lance.

anyone experienced have any suggestions? get counter weapon/defense?

AI gets a +50% bonus to everything on Hard, +100% on Insane. But that doesn't take into account maintenance and stuff, so the net bonus to the AI is more like +75%/+150%. For comparison Diety in Civ 4 is +66%. Or to put it another way, it's like the AI's level 1 and 2 buildings are as strong as Fallen Empire stuff. And of course the tech system means they'll have massive research advantages that you can never catch up to (aside from stealing tech).

Just spam colonies until you can make doomstacks. 90% of research isn't relevant, military-wise all you really need are the ship size upgrades and lvl 1 shields, steal the rest. If the AI attacks you then you can abuse their stupidity by counter-invading whatever they invade of yours while they are gone, drawing out the war until they peace or you get ahead.

Ventessel

Literate
AI gets a +50% bonus to everything on Hard, +100% on Insane. But that doesn't take into account maintenance and stuff, so the net bonus to the AI is more like +75%/+150%. For comparison Diety in Civ 4 is +66%. Or to put it another way, it's like the AI's level 1 and 2 buildings are as strong as Fallen Empire stuff. And of course the tech system means they'll have massive research advantages that you can never catch up to (aside from stealing tech).

Just spam colonies until you can make doomstacks. 90% of research isn't relevant, military-wise all you really need are the ship size upgrades and lvl 1 shields, steal the rest. If the AI attacks you then you can abuse their stupidity by counter-invading whatever they invade of yours while they are gone, drawing out the war until they peace or you get ahead.
Warfare in Stellaris is massively retarded. I tried making balance mods for space and ground combat and ended up giving up because they kept changing everything with Heinlein, the devs just don't have a firm grasp on how they want pops and the economy to interact. Without that foundation the strategic aspect of warfare is nonsensical.

No blockades, no shipping to interdict. Just destroy their spaceports and dance doomstacks around.

The tactical element of combat is also abysmal. Wedge formations are idiotic, and the pseudo rock-paper-scissors mechanics of weapons and defenses don't really affect long term planning because there's no tech trading and no espionage so why bother? And the upgrades are so incremental as to barely matter. Power plants were a wasted opportunity as well, could have differentiated things dramatically.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ground warfare is completely pointless, and as it stands it would improve the game substantially to remove it. There's no thought, no decisions, no sense, you just waste time building some shit (oh, and you can't even put those upgrades on armies in bulk, so more clicking), then you have to click click click putting them in space, transporting them, landing, then watching Large Number beat Small Number.

Honestly the stuff they're putting in would be really cool if the fundamentals of the game were built for fun gameplay, but at the moment the game just becomes unfun at a basic level after you grab a few planets.

Norfleet

Well, now we just need someone to introduce a God Emperor Donald J. Trump.

You can make the AI's advantages your advantages if you subjugate them and demand tribute, and they have to pay it out of their massive hax income.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom