Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

MoLAoS

So far I feel like the game is so random that its an utter crapshoot. Also I set a huge map with only 10 nations and I still got 2 guys right fucking next to me. So annoying.

Got bored and left

No direct control of ships, visually the combat is very similar to GalCiv 2/3.

Events that give research points seem to be bugged, at least I never get any research progress when I choose them. Anyone else seeing the same problem?

As far as I know, the bonus research points aren't applied directly to research projects (unless the pop-up explicitly sates so), but they become stored (if you mouse over your research points in the toolbar at the top of the screen, you can see how much there's stored), and only then, gradually, applied to actual projects. I'm not sure how this works exactly, but it's supposed to make you research faster.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Ah, thanks. Seems like you can take a number of research points from storage equal to your regular base research production, so having stored research points essentially doubles your research speed while they last.

Does anybody know how long the penalties recently conquered pre-ftl civs get last?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Impressions after a quick glance:

- shiniest paradox release ever
- shameless(cool) copy of different means of travel from other games - gotta love the hyperlane web ala MoO3
- standard paradox global and local modifier stuff, little "tile" minigame - wasted opportunity for deep planet micro :(
- haven't experienced combat nor diplo yet
- hope, that they won't go overboard with DLC milking

Base game looks fine. Not what I dreamed of, but it's a good adaption of paradox in space.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
is there any battles for planets,or you just sent a transport with marines and auto win?

MoLAoS

God dammit. Got smashed in my first war. Somehow even with equal navies and fighting at my starbase I did not luck out. I think if only I had retreated my navy to my homesystem earlier to heal they would have won but they died so fast because they got hit right after retreating that it didn't matter. Some lessons learned:
You really have to have a stupidly large navy.
Colony ships are not worth it.
I got to being able to colonize new planets types just as I lost with my army.
AI is super aggressive and spawns ridiculously close to you.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It's funny, MoLAoS, because some of the big(gest) complaints so far have been about a supposedly passive AI.

I'm at work, right now, and the game released at ~2am local time, so haven't had a chance to touch it, yet.

Soon...

kris

Arcane
No direct control of ships, visually the combat is very similar to GalCiv 2/3.

The combat is more like Distant galaxies as they dont play out in an instance and you can both retreat and pile up more ships into an already ongoing battle. i managed to push back pirates by actually building new ships that joined the battle.

Some cool options for less advanced species, even if I would like some more. Might be that some are not possible due to my goverment. But I sure would like a "Volron option".

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
is anyone else stattering/lagging like crazy?
i played in the lowest possible grafiks and in small universe and it laggs like hell.

Lemming42

Arcane
Is there any good way to get influence without starting wars with people? I built a bunch of outposts because I didn't know they drained influence and now every citizen of my empire is pissed off at me for having -4 influence per month.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Is there any good way to get influence without starting wars with people? I built a bunch of outposts because I didn't know they drained influence and now every citizen of my empire is pissed off at me for having -4 influence per month.

Setting other empires as rivals generates influence.

MoLAoS

It's funny, MoLAoS, because some of the big(gest) complaints so far have been about a supposedly passive AI.

I'm at work, right now, and the game released at ~2am local time, so haven't had a chance to touch it, yet.

Soon...

The AI is passive if its the right personality and you keep strong enough fleets I think. I believe I expanded planets too fast instead of having enough ships.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
This is just poor man's Sins of a Solar Empire so far. Garbage combat, no trade, dumb AI and real time anyway. Sins has more peacetime mechanism than this shit ffs.

This is like that thing hoodoo was talking about. Paradox releases blank slates slightly under market prices and expects your dumb ass to buy all the '''''expansions''''' to complete their pre alpha.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing for 3 hours, impressed so far. It actually feels you are a part of the empire you created. I like that you can't colonize like crazy, it takes time and resources, so every planet you get to colonize feels more memorable. The combat is so-so. Only had a couple of space battles against pirates and aliens. You can't do much than just watch, but then again in Sins of the solar empire, even if you can maneuver your ships, the one with the most ships wins 95% of the time. The only thing that feels kinda artificially restrictive is the limit on "officers" or what you wanna call them. I can only support 10... in a empire probably having more than 40 billion people. Why is there a restriction on those? I can't afford to have a governor on one of my recently acquired planet because... limit.

So far I like it. Now I'm in the middle of trying to play nice with a small pre-space flight race. I want their planet but it seems a rebellion is brewing.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
Broken shitty release that wont be worth playing unless you drop another 300 bucks. Sounds about right. Wouldnt be paradox if it werent so

Inspectah

Savant
Anyone now if there is a rally system for new ships? Wish I could just auto-merge new ships with my main fleet

MoLAoS

Well I have learned more lessons. Having more than one planet really does suck as I thought. However I also learned that battleships are utterly worthless. Massive swarms of corvettes and destroyers are OP.

Defense stations can't do shit because they have a proximity limit and for some reason also even when an enemy fleet is in the field of fire of 2 of them only one still attacks so multiple ones are a waste.

But seriously Battleships can't do shit to corvettes which is both not how space combat works and also super annoying considering they cost 10x-15x as much. Destroyers cost about 1/5 of a battleship.

Battleships can handle cruisers easily and somewhat fight destroyers but a mass of cheap vettes will stop your glorious battleships.

I am now going to run a test game where I pursue a slightly different strategy.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pretty good so far, though I've got a feeling it's not going to have enough variety to keep it lasting as long as other games.

Still, I just wasted an evening, so I guess it did its job,

MoLAoS

Pretty good so far, though I've got a feeling it's not going to have enough variety to keep it lasting as long as other games.

Still, I just wasted an evening, so I guess it did its job,

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much replay value involved. The tech tree is mostly always the same, you perform the same rote actions of mining all mineral locations and so forth. Meh.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
is there any battles for planets,or you just sent a transport with marines and auto win?

Your planets have HP basically and most of the battles I've seen so far just involved involved ships shooting at your planet and I guess troops landing on the ground is implied. I also never saw any troop units for the 10 hours or so that I played the game.

Jinn

Arcane
Well, despite some of the negate impressions going on in this thread, I'll say that I've been playing this for almost 10 hours straight and have been having an amazing time. Sure, there can be some lulls, but they're almost entirely self-inflicted seeing as you can increase the time-flow at will.

As for replayability, there seems to be a fair amount of fun to be had between creating new races with different traits, multiplayer, and the universe generation. Honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing what the problem is, though that's maybe because I haven't played too many of Paradox's games (Hearts of Iron and Crusader Kings 2 only, pretty much). DLCs don't seem like a problem for me, because they will either add significantly to the actual gameplay or I won't buy them. For instance, there's only about four DLCs that seem to increase the quality of CK2, and I certainly had no qualms waiting till they were on deep sale before I got them.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
My impressions of the game so far:

- once you put planets into a sector say goodbye to tweaking them on a planetary level ever again
- MINERALS MINERALS MINERALS holy crap I cannot get enough of this, meanwhile Energy Credits are damned near worthless and I manage to accrue enough to reach my empire's limit for them
- Influence is annoying but I can see somewhat the reason behind it
- no espionage/subterfuge/skulduggery as of right now so no spying on the other guys or making their worlds rebel
- pirates happen for no reason at all and they almost always happen right at the beginning of every game session
- the galaxy map is structured in such a way that if you happen to be between two empires you are locked in between them unless you manage to schmooze civilian access for your ships to go through
- the AI seems to just declare me a rival, sets up an embassy...and that's it. I've never been offered any trade deals or anything else besides that so far
- there's no generic "hey, let's open up some economic trade routes between us" option, you always have to trade something for something else

Inf0mercial

Augur
All these LP vids using warp based system i am using wormholes, holy shit strategic movement is amazing i came in thinking i would need to build in systems next to each other nope, i can jump in a massive radius as long as wormhole station in central system is intact, so dump a fleet on top of it and embrace the ability to shift fleets 5000% faster than filthy warp drive peasants. You can even build multiple stations in one system so i have built a few redundant ones. The only concern is from a few test wars the AI will if they are using wormhole or hyperspace jump right on top of your stations and blow them the fuck up.

So far i am having fun although energy seems cheap as fuck, i mean you build so much of it up that when you go into deficit you have a few thousand sitting in bank so its not even a worry.

Norfleet

- MINERALS MINERALS MINERALS holy crap I cannot get enough of this
"WE REQUIRE MORE MINERALS!" is pretty much an ironclad rule of every game of everything, ever.

The only concern is from a few test wars the AI will if they are using wormhole or hyperspace jump right on top of your stations and blow them the fuck up.
YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom