Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Game Festival - free demos of upcoming RPGs from June 16th to 22nd

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Here's some opinions on shit I tried out. Color me shocked by just how many games lay claim to being RPGs, though.

Magin: The Rat Project Stories - very much a vertical slice of what the game is supposed to be I didn't mind a simple story about a boy looking to recover his mother from a local pub. Think adventure game meets card-driven combat with some major narrative decisions to be made yet the real deal here is dealing with out young protagonist's mental balance. In both adventure and combat parts due to most skills being inherently tied to, let's just call them PURPLE and ORANGE ends of the emotional spectrum that keeps fluctuating as you play. Shifting deeper into either gives bonuses and penalties. If you choose to opt out of combat, something demo offers when you start, this makes for a brief offering mainly enchanting with this dark fantasy look. Less so with Tolen's VA who managed to get on my nerves in shockingly short amount of time.

The Way of Wrath - premise based on what is shown here is actually rather interesting as you assume control over a party of warriors in ancient world while they use primitive weapons and bone armor to get into crude encampment they lost earlier due to betrayal... and maybe something else. You engage with the game in group turn-based combat, but damn does jank permeate every fact of the game. From minor visual bugs to getting caught up on geometry, general performance level and infinite load screens. Excusable for a beta, though. Bigger worry is how seemingly worthwhile character creation never really comes through in rather basic combat system. Not to mention all the non-combat options that are just there for show because this is poorly chosen scenario to showcase those. I am not particularly sold on the art style either which looks much better in screenshots over actual play.

Partisans 1941 - it would be extremely difficult not to draw comparisons between old Commandos games. Escaping from a war prison on the Eastern Front our Russian commander is quickly joined by his army comrade and a local buy. After some aggressive negations guns are procured, but in traditional fashion stealth is your primary tool in getting around. Small unit tactics without reinforcements as you keep watchful eye on individual enemy's cone of vision, hide the bodies and hug to bushes as you move your squad around. Two points: characters are not as dead set in their roles due to some RPG system like choosing your skills on level up and once you issue targets combat is automatic. This is a problem when you have limited ammo and said skills can affect combat performance while player becomes a mere spectator.

Pendragon - plain description would be to say it's a narrative board game and call it a day. Thing is, I find myself wishing there was more to gameplay included other than choosing methods of movement as you go about boards and claim tiles before reaching the exit. Avoiding dangers along the way primarily comes down to keeping in mind how opposition can move. You choose from multiple characters, each with their own reasons for getting involvement in Arthurian legend after the Round Circle gets broken up by Mordred. Strong evocative writing really brings the setting to life and provided ticking off those two boxes is a major seller for you then Pendragon just might be something to keep an eyes on. For my own taste I think the game itself may be too simple to carry the narrative burden writers took upon themselves. Unless there's some major hike in complexity not featured here.

Lamentum - demo may have had bigger impact on me purely because I haven't been into survival horror since, well, PS1 days, but what is shown is true to those roots. Getting the big names out of the way it definitely has that “3x3 inventory management and ink saves” from Resident Evil yet I would say general approach to scarce combat and seemingly psychological story draws from Silent Hill just as much. 2D pixel presentation is something it has in common with some other indie horror takes I've seen over the years. Our love struck protagonist's wife gets sick and with medicine being to no avail he seeks out a controversial doctor's help. Needless to say one night in his mansion and everything's gone to dogs with all hell breaking loose. It would appear game avoids more involved type of puzzles that would require specific knowledge and is content with basic item usage.

The Magister - generated story-centric RPGsis definitely stand out as a novelty. One that has to be tested beyond the bounds of a demo, though. Doubly so with a case such as this one where you're the eponymous Magister sent to resolve a murder case of another in this far away village. There is no full character creation included here, but choosing between three types is telling enough because personality and flaws play much more in a dialog-heavy game like this one. When you're not talking you're resolving situations and combat alike through card battles. Well, battles may not be accurate, because only in actual physical confrontation is there a tactical RPG aspect whereas in calming someone down you're building up Empathy to lower their Rage level. Flow takes some time to get used to and RNG factors in, but it's certainly simple enough. See whether this presentation grows on you.

Disjunction - seems like something I already played X number of times. Pixel art that can look impressive when not used solely to portray gray corporate corridors, stealth or action where it makes the most sense to choose and commit to one style, and finally that ever present character progression in form of upgrade kits and character traits. It's a cyberpunk story so you're figuring out who framed who, how are corporations involved and all that jazz. I did like how the hyperlink system in dialog is used to divulge more information, but in turn it could have also been used to de-clutter the dialog window. Speaking of stealth over action, because of course, it's amusing the game gears you towards that path from the get-go by giving you a ranged stun ability, ranged AoE stun and guaranteed critical hit on cooldown. That sounds like a formula for non-lethal takedowns to me versus a loud revolver it also sets you up with.

The Last Spell - spent a short amount of time with demo after realizing it was a tower defense game, but I think it still warrants talking about. If only because this is a turn-based variant and due to how much stuff there is to do. Seeing as you are managing heroes themselves and the town they're supposed to protect you have some variety. At night monsters lay siege and it falls on you to control the champions, each statistically realized character, in full-on tactical combat. Come daybreak you tally the results, take stock of town's productivity as well as rebuild, train and equip. Some of these segments may appeal to you more or less, though. I found combat to be somewhat bogged down because you're fighting a swarm of enemies so AoE attacks are your friend while said enemies still must be dealt with individually, for example. I can see it getting old quite fast.

Fabled Lands - has hints of story included in this package and impression I got was one of re-visiting locations to progress as you go very similar “take quest, kill enemy, bring the quest item back” cycle. You could say it's a CYOA expanded into a game beyond its origin, one where movement is executed on a map with designated hotspots for interaction. Character creation, where you do get to choose a class, carries its benefits well beyond two main forms of interaction – turn-based combat and skill checks via dice rolls, which resolve everything else. You decide when to stop rolling so RNG effect is kinda mitigated. We're also working with rather rudimentary combat system on a tiny hex grid that makes me wonder why even have it. I do admit being a sucker for fantasy aesthetics game delivers on with very strong King's Bounty vibes adapted for 2D look, though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The Way of Wrath - premise based on what is shown here is actually rather interesting as you assume control over a party of warriors in ancient world while they use primitive weapons and bone armor to get into crude encampment they lost earlier due to betrayal... and maybe something else. You engage with the game in group turn-based combat, but damn does jank permeate every fact of the game. From minor visual bugs to getting caught up on geometry, general performance level and infinite load screens. Excusable for a beta, though. Bigger worry is how seemingly worthwhile character creation never really comes through in rather basic combat system. Not to mention all the non-combat options that are just there for show because this is poorly chosen scenario to showcase those. I am not particularly sold on the art style either which looks much better in screenshots over actual play.

This looked terrible from a mile away

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The demos were supposed to go down this evening, but most of them are still up right now.

Ash of Gods: Arena
Beyond Mankind
Black Book
Bloom: Memories
Disjunction
Fae Tactics
Gloria Victis: Siege
Golden Fall 2
Pendragon
Roadwarden
SOLASTA Crown of the Magister
Suzerain
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
The Fellowship Saga
The Feud: Wild West Tactics
The Hand of Merlin
The Iron Oath
The Way of Wrath
Together in Battle
Undungeon
Vagrus - The Riven Realms
Zoria: Age of Shattering

Taken down:

Company of Crime
Fabled Lands
Gestalt: Steam & Cinder
Ostranauts
Project Haven

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom