Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mods will fix it is now part of Bethesda design philosophy ever since Oblivion. Even Morrowind gets improved still through modding today

Believe in Todd

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
2022 vs 2023

Standard procedure to have a downgrade, but this is a big one. They completely obliterated any depth in the lighting. Of course, the top comment is:

“2022 looks like modded Skyrim, which can be very good… 2023 looks like the proper new Bethesda game we’ve been waiting for.”
5obie3.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Todd showed his bullshitting talent once again in the presentation and later interviews. He always promises you the world and makes even bad things sound like they might be fun, and had I never heard of Bethesda before, I'd be excited for Starfield. With their (and Todd's) track record though, I foresee a lot of Liar Todd memes being posted, and the game only being somewhat fun if you add 300+ mods.

EvilWolf

Learned
Back then, I took screenshots in-game on the PC (on max settings) to compare with locations that were in the original trailer.

You should post more in the Fallout 4 thread.
Those losers will just respond by telling me to fix it with mods. The same thing will be said about Starfield when it doesn't meet expectations. Bethesda fanboys are their own special kind of retard.

Besides, if I post them here in the Starfield discussion it might be more relevant and catch more eyeballs, for what it's worth.

xudwnz2ghzbwtszxgghb.jpg
0v3PwSn.png
Name a company that hasn't released a vertical slice early like that and downgraded when they realized it ran like shit on consumer hardware. The sweet little lies video IS a meme, after a point early in Oblivion's production Todd was taken off the programming team and since then he has been in the Molyneux zone. He directs the various teams who come to him with pipe dreams and when it's time to start the marketing machine he runs with those pipe dream ideas because he thinks his team can pull it off. There is a video of Todd actually showcasing the behavioral cycles of NPCs in Oblivion, it got cut really late in development because the consoles couldn't handle it.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Name a company that hasn't released a vertical slice early like that and downgraded when they realized it ran like shit on consumer hardware.
What are you even saying? That because other companies lie to their customers it's okay for Bethesda to do so? All gaming developers now are shit, no exceptions really. I'm not singling out only Bethesda here but it needs to be said.
The sweet little lies video IS a meme, after a point early in Oblivion's production Todd was taken off the programming team and since then he has been in the Molyneux zone. He directs the various teams who come to him with pipe dreams and when it's time to start the marketing machine he runs with those pipe dream ideas because he thinks his team can pull it off.
Sweet little lies is not a meme. Want to know why? Because Todd IS a fucking liar. Stop meme'ing, it's not funny, and start paying attention to the fact that these games are all SHIT. Todd is not in the Molyneus zone. Far from it. Molyneux was simply over-enthusiastic about his games. Todd on the other hand stands in front of a camera with a smug look on his face, and wears those stupid hippy beads on his wrist while he reads directly from a script and sells you fucking snake oil.
There is a video of Todd actually showcasing the behavioral cycles of NPCs in Oblivion, it got cut really late in development because the consoles couldn't handle it.
Don't bullshit now. They didn't cut those things in the screenshot out of Fallout 4. They intentionally went in there and "prettied up" the scene for the trailer footage.

Last edited:

EvilWolf

Learned
Name a company that hasn't released a vertical slice early like that and downgraded when they realized it ran like shit on consumer hardware.
What are you even saying? That because other companies lie to their customers, it's okay for Bethesda to do so? All gaming developers now are shit, no exceptions really. I'm not singling out only Bethesda here but it needs to be said.The sweet little lies video IS a meme, after a point early in Oblivion's production Todd was taken off the programming team and since then he has been in the Molyneux zone. He directs the various teams who come to him with pipe dreams and when it's time to start the marketing machine he runs with those pipe dream ideas because he thinks his team can pull it of
The sweet little lies video IS a meme, after a point early in Oblivion's production Todd was taken off the programming team and since then he has been in the Molyneux zone. He directs the various teams who come to him with pipe dreams and when it's time to start the marketing machine he runs with those pipe dream ideas because he thinks his team can pull it off.
Sweet little lies is not a meme. Want to know why? Because Todd IS a fucking liar. Stop meme'ing, it's not funny, and start paying attention to the fact that these games are all SHIT. Todd is not in the Molyneus zone. Far from it. At least Molyneux was simply over-enthusiastic about his games. Todd on the other hand stands in front of a camera with a smug look on his face, wears those stupid hippy beads on his wrist so he looks cool and grounded for the kids while he reads directly from a script and sells you fucking snake oil
There is a video of Todd actually showcasing the behavioral cycles of NPCs in Oblivion, it got cut really late in development because the consoles couldn't handle it.
Don't bullshit now. They didn't cut those things in the screenshot out of Fallout 4. They intentionally went in there and "prettied up" the scene for the trailer footage.
You're being too hard on Godd Howard. Look inside yourself, you know it to be true.

dextermorgan

Arcane
He's jumping to conclusions here, but if he's right that you can really complete the game without firing a shot, then I'm ready to be convinced that Starfield really will have the breadth of playstyle options to make it my next LARPing dream game.
But is having idiotic conversations with braindead NPCs really a viable playstyle option?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The average Bethesda fan definitely had a negative view of Fo4 when it came out. I remember r/fallout, the trusted source to see what the average dumbass thinks, was about 80% threads of people shitting on the game, with 20% threads of people going "why's everyone shitting on this game!? yeah it sucks, but ___".
FO4 was a resource hog and was crashing at launch, what the mainstream calls "technical glitches". I think that was much of the reason for the angry initial reception among normies, who usually gobble up the most half-baked gameplay, and even prefer it to good gameplay. But you are still right that by the time of FO4's release, many of the typica Bethesda game's tropes looked outdated, and I think that's evidenced by the fact FO4 never became the gaming icon that FO3 is, among normies that is.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
It's interesting that Starfield will be available from the day one on Game Pass. As I checked it now, you can play in the cloud if you have Ultimate version of it. On Cdkeys or G2 you could buy a monhtly pass for <10$. You can spend an entire month (or more) playing for paying next to nothing for a fresh AAA game. Even less if you are willing to VPN yourself into pretending to be Turkish.
Well, I'm likely to do just that considering I can't afford a new PC. Will definitely buy the game at some point in the future (if it's good), once the mods start coming out.

Lemming42

Arcane
It is a complete game. I used to be of the same opinion but when you properly dig into it and fully explore it, there is a full-fledged game there, and it's probably the best TES game.

The only issue is that the content starts to quickly repeat itself, but all the actual ingredients of the game are there, and fully playable (except the language skills, which don't really work). A large pack of quest mods and perhaps a new guild or two is all Daggerfall needs, and those options now exist in DF Unity.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
It took 2 years for modders to make Skyrim Requiem after Skyrim's release.
So I'll wait that long for a Starfield overhaul, I just don't trust Bethesda after playing vanilla Skyrim...
Plus then I won't have to worry about bugs, there might be a DLC on the way, etc.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Please stop playing shitty games for the mods. You are supporting shit games by doing this.

If you need mods to make it playable why are you even bothering with it when you could play any other game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom