Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starcraft 2 - when will we get a crack?

1eyedking

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Actually so far it looks like they are pulling WarCraft3 on us with the plot.
Which means they're pulling StarCraft.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Is there a reason why the recap seems to completely ignore the events of Brood War?
... come again?
ignore the events of Brood War
... Perhaps I'm hallucinating?
ignore...Brood War
ok
:rage:

Those campaigns were 3 times better the the original ones. WTF?

I know that there was a lot of cheese in SC1 but at least it was deliberate on the part of the creators - for instance, you weren't meant to take human campaign outro in BW seriously. There were also downright stupid character events: Kerrigan "introducing" herself to DuGall or her sparing Zeratul's life just because, are but two of many. But at least my brain didn't bleed each time I heard about "freedom", "justice" and "sacrifice" used in-game. If anything BW campaigns showed that Blizzard could indeed improve on formula thus promising even better campaigns in the sequel.

And they failed :(

Judging from the videos SC2 suffers from general :new shit: and :action hero: :drunken western sheriff: syndromes. That fucking one-liners are meant to sound edgy and mature but someone forgot to check in dictionary what these words actually mean. I can see no way they can succeed in this and any other galaxy. What is worst - I bet the authors think they've created a genuine sci-fi masterpiece which is capped by the crowds of servail retards salivating over that heap of turd.

At least even Skyway admits that there is some interesting mission design out there. Maybe that alone warrants not removing it from inventory. Certainly, I'm not going to buy it now... or ever if the MP issues are not corrected.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mrowak said:
I know that there was a lot of cheese in SC1 but at least it was deliberate on the part of the creators - for instance, you weren't meant to take human campaign outro in BW seriously.
BW human outro has nothing on SC human outro, with Mengsk's speech dripping irony from every word.

But at least my brain didn't bleed each time I heard about "freedom", "justice" and "sacrifice" used in-game.
Because every use of these words was a send-up. When the Terrans (Dominion, UED and Mengsk) were using them you knew they were lying through their teeth, and when a Protoss used them he was either an idiot missing the picture (Aldaris) or about to die (Phoenix, among others).

Quilty

Magister
Having tried the game, I feel that they haven't introduced enough innovation to the old RTS model. It's stale and boring, relying on story (which is poorly written) to get the player through the repetitive missions. I'd much rather see a Starcraft grand strategy game in the vein of Hearts of Iron or Total War, a combination of large-scale tactics and the actual close combat. Or something new. Blizzard's never going to do that, of course, it would be silly to expect it, but because of that I see no reason to play the sequel instead of the non-anime original.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sceptic said:
Mrowak said:
I know that there was a lot of cheese in SC1 but at least it was deliberate on the part of the creators - for instance, you weren't meant to take human campaign outro in BW seriously.
BW human outro has nothing on SC human outro, with Mengsk's speech dripping irony from every word.

Pretty much the case. I liked how he bemoaned fall of Confederacy somehow forgetting to mention who contributed to it. The play on people's fears (zerg and protoss, who would protect you against this threat?) was also nice but obvious. It might have been cheesy but compared to Mengsk's holovids and Dominion's :evil: soldiers from SC2 mission 1 it was quality writing out there.

SC1 terran outro Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHxw3CnOF0
SC2 mission 1 Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fygrQILN1Tw

But at least my brain didn't bleed each time I heard about "freedom", "justice" and "sacrifice" used in-game.
Because every use of these words was a send-up. When the Terrans (Dominion, UED and Mengsk) were using them you knew they were lying through their teeth, and when a Protoss used them he was either an idiot missing the picture (Aldaris) or about to die (Phoenix, among others).

In case of terrans the fun part was that every character knew they were lying but everyone keep their mouth shut. Politics.

As for Protoss. Aldaris seemed to be presented as a deluded fool but one you look at the bigger picture he was right at each and every step. He advised against trusting the dark templar and it was ironic that the dark templar themselves in misguided "honourable" attack at cerebrate revealed location of Aiur to the zerg. His character is seen in completely new light in BW when he sees through Kerrigan's plot. To bad that he dies in that cheesy scene.

Either way, in comparison with SC1 campaigns are character and storywise and far superior to what we see in SC2. And that was 12 years ago... And this time around they had like $100 mln to spend. How can you fuck up so much and still receive blowjobs from almost everyone, I have no clue.

Those news reports are about as ham-fisted as you can get. Anchorman repeats propaganda, female counterpart gives Raynor a verbal blowjob, anchorman panics and loses his shit. *Cue laugh track*

MetalCraze

Arcane
Quilty said:
Having tried the game, I feel that they haven't introduced enough innovation to the old RTS model.
Aye. That's my main problem with SC2's gameplay since beta. Basically in the end it all comes down to "whoever has more units wins". And they force you to do base building almost on every mission (basically forcing you to do the same every time). I remember in SC/BW they mixed it with more limited squad missions than they do in SC2 thus far (18/26).
The good thing is that "kill the enemy base" missions are rare and the ones we have show at least some signs of creativity. What lacks however is the expansive gameplay of SC/BW - usually those base-building missions are so short that you don't have to move anywhere from the spot you are in - in SC/BW you had to build forward supply bases more often due to scarce resources.

It's stale and boring, relying on story (which is poorly written) to get the player through the repetitive missions.
Yeah the narrative so far is terribad. It's WC3 all over again
The evil ancient Xel'Naga are coming back and all races must unite against them
At least that means Blizzard will include the 4th race, huh?

I'd much rather see a Starcraft grand strategy game in the vein of Hearts of Iron or Total War, a combination of large-scale tactics and the actual close combat. Or something new.
I feel you man. I got burned out on RTS gameplay pretty much as well nowadays. RTS's don't do it to me anymore. So I play 4X and global strategies as they are sandboxy and each game is different. But I'm playing SC2's SP because it's the only RTS these days with good production values and stands out more.

Blizzard's never going to do that, of course, it would be silly to expect it, but because of that I see no reason to play the sequel instead of the non-anime original.
Eh if only there was some way to run SC1 in any resolution I want because stretched 640x480 with hugeass pixels looks really bad on my LCD.

Those news reports are about as ham-fisted as you can get. Anchorman repeats propaganda, female counterpart gives Raynor a verbal blowjob, anchorman panics and loses his shit. *Cue laugh track*

It's as if the guy who did all the story writing and the guy who did easter eggs are different people. Because easter eggs are actually funny as always - more so than the stale humour they try to fit into the story

1eyedking

Erudite
I wish I could be as badass as Raynor and shoot my goddamn monitor. Really, what the fuck am I playing?

1eyedking

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
I feel you man. I got burned out on RTS gameplay pretty much as well nowadays. RTS's don't do it to me anymore. So I play 4X and global strategies as they are sandboxy and each game is different. But I'm playing SC2's SP because it's the only RTS these days with good production values and stands out more.
Company of Heroes v1.71 you dumbwit. Did you play it?

MetalCraze said:
Eh if only there was some way to run SC1 in any resolution I want because stretched 640x480 with hugeass pixels looks really bad on my LCD.
Fixed Aspect Ratio, motherfucker. Do you fix it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom