Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You're saying that like AVWW 2 was some kind of cash grab. They released it for free to everyone who owned the first game, and vice versa. It was basically a massive amount of extra content (which was never promised to begin with) and an entirely different take on the game they put out for free.

roll-a-die

Magister
Guys if you are quibbling over release dates when 15 dollars is on the line, fuck off. It's 15 bloody quid, you go to the movies here on that kinda money.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're saying that like AVWW 2 was some kind of cash grab. They released it for free to everyone who owned the first game, and vice versa. It was basically a massive amount of extra content (which was never promised to begin with) and an entirely different take on the game they put out for free.

I'm saying it was shit just like the first one so you wanting to give them more money is a head-scratcher.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You've got to be kidding. They delivered more than enough content for the $10 list price.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Was funny seeing the butthurt and rage on the Steam forums after Red stopped development. So many people bitching because they expected him to continue updating the game they paid $2.49 for indefinitely.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
He said that it would receive future updates, not that it would receive updates indefinitely.

Damned Registrations

He said that he'd update it for years and mentioned a feature list pages long. It was one of the reasons I preordered the game, after asking if there would be mod support and getting a reply of 'no, but I'm going to add tons of content for at least 2 years so it won't need any'. Instead he released it before it was done, did a content patch to get it to where it was supposed to be on launch (which people seem to think was some sort of massive gift) and then did one more major content patch. Which probably took fuck all time to create, considering it's practically a fucking 8 bit game with incredibly simple mechanics. Expecting him to throw in a few dozen more hours after being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars is hardly unreasonable. Nevermind at the very fucking least letting the modders get their hands on shit before you abandon ship.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Dunno about him saying he's going to support it for 2 years to come as I didn't really hear about the game until the day it went up for sale on Steam, but hey, I felt I got more than my $10 worth from the game. It's got a fuckload of content and I'm not going to bitch because I can't get more content for the $10 I paid.

Gerrard

Arcane
Not to mention the part where some other developer asked about taking over the game and they were refused, and yet they later licensed it out to the people who made the XBox version.

Damned Registrations

The bottom line is the devs aren't reliable and didn't make anything amazing. Any half assed programmer could make a clone of the game, and anyone with a shred of ambition could make much more content for it. I've no reason to place more faith in this than I'd have in any other random knockoff, if anything I've reasons to place less.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's why the market is flooded with Terraria clones, right? :roll:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So you have no reason to place faith in something made by one group of developers, because you got burnt on a game developed by another developer altogether (not counting the artist who left Redigit for Starbound)?

I've no issue with being apprehensive about the game, but I think it's a bit odd being apprehensive because of a developer who isn't, and never has been, affiliated with this game.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not going to lie, I preordered this game, but the funding stretch goals they have are so stupid.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I'm not going to lie, I preordered this game, but the funding stretch goals they have are so stupid.

I got a free copy off of the forum competition, and the earlier goals aren't that bad. The $1M goal sucks though, pets are already in the game and the goal is just some shitty starter pets that aren't good for anything?

Gord

Arcane
He said that he'd update it for years and mentioned a feature list pages long. It was one of the reasons I preordered the game, after asking if there would be mod support and getting a reply of 'no, but I'm going to add tons of content for at least 2 years so it won't need any'. Instead he released it before it was done, did a content patch to get it to where it was supposed to be on launch (which people seem to think was some sort of massive gift) and then did one more major content patch. Which probably took fuck all time to create, considering it's practically a fucking 8 bit game with incredibly simple mechanics. Expecting him to throw in a few dozen more hours after being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars is hardly unreasonable. Nevermind at the very fucking least letting the modders get their hands on shit before you abandon ship.

Well, his wife got a kid eventually, so I guess it's no wonder he had other things on his mind then.
Considering the massive amount of time I've sunk into Terraria I was not particularly upset that he announced his plans to stop development.

Anyway, he recently announced an new update slated for June, so rejoice.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
aypv2s.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane

Greedy evil publishers strike yet again at poor talented devs!

Absalom

What the hell did I just watch?

And it's only the artist (which is awesome) that is on Starbound from Terraria, so who cares? Honestly this is probably the upcoming project I'm excited about the most since I have a MASSIVE boner for space exploration games

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
When the fuck is this coming out? Jesus. The beta was slated for this year, but the way things are going now it doesn't seem like that's going to end up happening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom