Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I enjoyed FU up until my inventory became so full I had to constantly drop shit that I was probably still going to need later.

Perkel

Arcane
Does the mod make the combat fun and enjoyable, though.

Since 1.3 update combat is better in Starbound than Terraria.

They completely redesigned how weapons work, You can dual wield, shields have perfect block times, weapons have additional attacks, each weapon type has different movest etc.
Monsters only hit you when they have attack coming, so you can perfectly walk past some if they don't attack.
Each biome now has pre-defined monsters + some randomly generated. It is much better way than everything randomly generated.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I tried it. Despite the update movement felt just as clunky and unwieldy as I remembered. Hitstun was extremely low, the weapon itself felt like paper, movement felt so much worse than Terraria and the UI was still completely awful.

Perkel

Arcane
I enjoyed FU up until my inventory became so full I had to constantly drop shit that I was probably still going to need later.

I also like FU and one thing that always bugged me was them leaving RNG weapons that don't fit at all in what they are trying to make.
I got my answer today.

Lead FU dev is fucking retarded. ANd i don't mean he has stupid ideas or something. I mean literally mentally challenged. I spent like 40 minutes trying to explain him how RNG weapons which at tier 0 can look like rocket launchers and space anihilators don't mesh at all with FU crafting which starts you with like stone tools at same tier. YEt they do same damage.
40 fucking minutes took for him to see problem.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Source code got leaked

This torrent is dedicated to two groups:

- Chucklefish and especially Tiyuri for producing this piece of shit. Glad that it came to light that you weren't paying your employees and your career went down the drain, so you're not able to scam any more people out of their money. You always wanted to make the game open-source, so let me help you get a headstart on that.

- The original /sbg/ from way back. It's been 10 years, but we finally won in the end.

Please read my blog post and youtube video for more information about this code:

https://rose.dev/blog/2023/05/27/starbound-1-4-4-source-code-access/

- Gen3vra
This twitter post from 2014 is also now deleted:
10749-d46d9229-b3b6-4bc9-b342-58ac9101e72c.png

Perkel

Arcane
finally someone can fix it to be actual terraria competitor instead of empty husk

I felt the need to play something Terraria-like and was disappointed.
- The core game concept about visiting many alien worlds seems promising at the first glance, but in practice it sabotages the game massively. You don't feel connected to any planet, which means there is less of an initiative to build anything. In Terraria I build a big, multistored mansion. In Starbound I just didn't bother. The lack of home invasions by monsters and non generic npcs needing rooms makes me far less interested in creating anything other than the most utilitarian base. A ship may be seen as the main base, however it's expansions are linear, limiting and come only around the middlegame. There is a disonance between you having an advanced spaceship and needing to do survival activities like a hunter gatherer tribesman.
- There is a lack of variety in weapons. There is just a few basic types of weapons that had diablo style random generated stats and special abilities, you don't use. Fighting feels unfun.
- Monsters are very basic, lack variety both in behaviour and stats. All work was put into making visual variants for existing monsters, which makes enemies feel even more generic.
-There are more biomes than in Terraria, but they offer less variety. Each biome feels similiar and plays nearly identical, they are just reskins. There is no reason to care about any single world or to mine in a way that would make reusing existing tunnels more comfortable. Some design decisions like needing to return to the surface after mining and returning for dropped items after dying only exacerbates the problem, because it makes monotonny more apparent. Planet are tiered, each planet in a particular tier offers the same resources and has the same enemies level like the other. To be fair I did like many different tree variants.
- The crafting interface is great compared to Terraria, but I hated the inventory screen. It's too small. Hotbar is messy with it's double hands system
- Crafting feels linear and gated by tiers. There aren't many side grates or choices to be made. Crafting feels very minimalistic, you don't have a few different things you would like to craft at each moment.
- There is a lot of small, but head scratching and infuriating design decisions, like having npcs close all doors they come near (reason behind 80% of my cursing this October). There is also a beaming animation that takes way too long, a vehicle that you can hit by mistake and can't forget to pack before beaming off the planet, otherwise it gets destroyed. I hated how after teleporting to outpost you still need to walk a few second before getting to anyone. I heavy disliked how tress, schrubs and flowers don't regrow after being cut.
- There are many playable races, the only differences between them is aesthetic. You encounter npc scattered around the word that have zero personality, they offer the most generic dialogue that your mind ignores as if it was some advertisement. There are horrifying randomly generated quests.
- There is the main story that looks like a parody of a bad fantasy story, find x artifacts, save the universe. Writing is bad and bland. Story quests consist of finding randomly generated villages and clicking on things to fill the bar. Horrible.
- There are mediocre bosses fights (not many of them), which are preceded by overlong dungeons. You can't even use your tools for arena preparations. A massive downgrade from Terraria.

Perkel

Arcane
- The core game concept about visiting many alien worlds seems promising at the first glance, but in practice it sabotages the game massively. You don't feel connected to any planet, which means there is less of an initiative to build anything. In Terraria I build a big, multistored mansion. In Starbound I just didn't bother. The lack of home invasions by monsters and non generic npcs needing rooms makes me far less interested in creating anything other than the most utilitarian base. A ship may be seen as the main base, however it's expansions are linear, limiting and come only around the middlegame. There is a disonance between you having an advanced spaceship and needing to do survival activities like a hunter gatherer tribesman.
- There is a lack of variety in weapons. There is just a few basic types of weapons that had diablo style random generated stats and special abilities, you don't use. Fighting feels unfun.
- Monsters are very basic, lack variety both in behaviour and stats. All work was put into making visual variants for existing monsters, which makes enemies feel even more generic.
-There are more biomes than in Terraria, but they offer less variety. Each biome feels similiar and plays nearly identical, they are just reskins. There is no reason to care about any single world or to mine in a way that would make reusing existing tunnels more comfortable. Some design decisions like needing to return to the surface after mining and returning for dropped items after dying only exacerbates the problem, because it makes monotonny more apparent. Planet are tiered, each planet in a particular tier offers the same resources and has the same enemies level like the other. To be fair I did like many different tree variants.
- The crafting interface is great compared to Terraria, but I hated the inventory screen. It's too small. Hotbar is messy with it's double hands system
- Crafting feels linear and gated by tiers. There aren't many side grates or choices to be made. Crafting feels very minimalistic, you don't have a few different things you would like to craft at each moment.
- There is a lot of small, but head scratching and infuriating design decisions, like having npcs close all doors they come near (reason behind 80% of my cursing this October). There is also a beaming animation that takes way too long, a vehicle that you can hit by mistake and can't forget to pack before beaming off the planet, otherwise it gets destroyed. I hated how after teleporting to outpost you still need to walk a few second before getting to anyone. I heavy disliked how tress, schrubs and flowers don't regrow after being cut.
- There are many playable races, the only differences between them is aesthetic. You encounter npc scattered around the word that have zero personality, they offer the most generic dialogue that your mind ignores as if it was some advertisement. There are horrifying randomly generated quests.
- There is the main story that looks like a parody of a bad fantasy story, find x artifacts, save the universe. Writing is bad and bland. Story quests consist of finding randomly generated villages and clicking on things to fill the bar. Horrible.
- There are mediocre bosses fights (not many of them), which are preceded by overlong dungeons. You can't even use your tools for arena preparations. A massive downgrade from Terraria.

I you haven't yet tried try freacking universe from workshop. It overhauls game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I found the big bts drama of dumb kids working for free amusing for a moment or two then moved on. Anything else interesting about this or the developer since then?

I you haven't yet tried try freacking universe from workshop. It overhauls game.

How much it overhauls the game? I you saw in my review I believe Starbound to be fundamentally broken.

I was curious as well so I looked it up

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729480149

https://frackinuniverse.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Gameplay Changes​

Frackin' Universe reshapes Starbound from the ground up. Nearly every game mechanic is adjusted in some way.
You should start a -new- universe and character when installing FU, or you will not have a proper experience. Installing FU is a one-way trip, so you should backup your universe and character files if you want to be able to uninstall FU and play them again.

Please note: FU's tutorials assume familiarity with vanilla Starbound. If you haven't played vanilla it's recommended that you do so first, before installing FU or any other mods.

Major Changes​

• Game Start - Early game options are extended substantially, allowing players to specialize their development into various areas. Enhance your early game progression with expanded farming and wood-based crafting options, new ways to feed and raise your farm animals, easier collection of water and so much more!
  • Research System - A research system replacing the vanilla Starbound crafting/blueprint system. Players can explore a tech tree and choose whatever they wish to unlock as they progress through the game.
  • Tile Effects - Surfaces can impact players in various ways, from slippery ice and sticky tar to more dangerous or unusual status ailments. Hard impacts on fragile materials such as mud and glass can break them.
  • Crafting - Massively expanded, you'll find thousands of new craftable items of just about every sort.
  • Madness - Investigating the bizarre and horrifying, and find yourself driven mad. There are remedies...but powerful and strange technologies can sprout from the minds of the insane...
  • Mechs - Mechs function completely differently from vanilla and are more integrated into gameplay. You'll be able to activate Flight Mode on planets, mine reliably for hours with them, stomp on enemies and crush homes with your mass, and more.
  • Races - 13 new playable races for you to enjoy.
  • Racial Abilities - Every species has special abilities and resistances. These can be toggled on and off in your ship's SAIL computer.
  • Dozens of new Biomes - FU adds a huge assortment of world types to explore, and dozens of sub-biomes, asteroid types, cloud layers and underground biomes.
  • Many new Dungeons.
  • Reworked environmental system with a wide array of effects and hazards.
  • Hundreds of quests and microdungeons.
  • A new hub, the Science Outpost.
  • 100+ new monsters.
  • Complex automation.
  • Bees - Catch, breed and genetically modify bees.
  • Enhanced Combat.
  • New Weapon Types and Physics.
  • New Damage Types.
  • Re-scaled damage and armor.

Other Changes​

• Brewing alcohol
  • Dozens of new techs
  • Vehicles for Sky, Space and Sea exploration
  • Kevin
  • Light Aura - Characters do not have a natural light aura, except for Novakids, Nightar and Tenebrhae. Darkness is dangerous.
  • Dozens of new Crew types
  • Enhanced Tenant System
  • Reworked Swimming - Use WASD to swim. Leap from water with W + Jump.
  • Space Station Trading - use Space Stations to invest, trade, and maximize profits from system to system.
  • Reworked Hunger values and racial dietary requirements
  • An expansive electronics and power system
  • Hundreds of new Armors, Weapons and Equipment
  • Snarshing
  • Re-balanced buffs
  • Re-balanced healing

EPP Changes​

In FU, EPP packs operate differently than in vanilla Starbound. This is an important part of progression and will change how you approach challenges in gameplay. You'll be required to strategize on your loadout so you can effectively handle environmental hazards.
  • EPPs no longer protect against anything they are not explicitly designed to prevent. You will not find a pack that is immune to every effect.
  • They do not provide full immunity, and instead add resistances of varying values.
  • They have tiers of protection spread through crafting progression (Poison I, II, III etc)
  • You can stack EPPs, Augments and Armor Set Bonuses to maximize your environmental survival chances.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried FU before and felt lost, there's so much stuff and most of it still feels like stuff. It's difficult to get an understanding of how all of this works and even then it's still fucking Starbound underneath all the bloat.

Perkel

Arcane

How much it overhauls the game? I you saw in my review I believe Starbound to be fundamentally broken.

It changes nature of starbound from "i want to be terraria in space but bad" to something more like "I want to explore worlds and make stuff."

It moves it from poor exploration/combat to more like collection/farming/crafting/exploration game. For an example like you mentioned there are no sidegrades in vanilla starboud but there are sidegrades in FU, more unique gear that gives you bonuses for wearing whole sets etc.

Perkel

Arcane
Another thing about it is that in vanilla you can't upgrade your ship by hand. In FU you can fully build and customize your ship.

It changes nature of starbound from "i want to be terraria in space but bad" to something more like "I want to explore worlds and make stuff."

It moves it from poor exploration/combat to more like collection/farming/crafting/exploration game. For an example like you mentioned there are no sidegrades in vanilla starboud but there are sidegrades in FU, more unique gear that gives you bonuses for wearing whole sets etc.

That does sound good. I think I may give the mod a chance. Did it fix bosses?

Perkel

Arcane

That does sound good. I think I may give the mod a chance. Did it fix bosses?

There are more bosses and some of them are overhauled. But i don't think it changes them in major way to something like Terraria. They are more like points of interest in overall exploration/your goal.

Like i said nature changes so bosses aren't the point anymore as they mostly don't hold back your progress like in vanilla.

Tried Frecking Universe. Amazing mod. Fixed most of my issues. It feels great to propose changes to the game, then see them implemented and experience first hand that you were right in your criticism. There are many little details, like having two planets that should have the samet type of ore to have in in different amount/depth.

I dislike how inventory space wasn't increased with the increase of available items. There is not enough equipment slots, you have lot's of item but not enough slots tho properly enjoy the system. I also dislike how planets seems to be too big and returning after death to retrieve items is such a hassle and a waste of time. It's sad there is no difficulty option that would preserve the attrition of needing the food without dropping items.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom