Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Deleted member 7219

JK was worth it?

You'll have fun with Smuggler.

I did not enjoy the JK story but I did do it as light side because at the time, I had just completed Sith Warrior on dark side and wanted the counter balance.

It is the only LS story I've done so far, I went DS for everything else. I just found the cub scout stuff to be too boring. The JK story is full of it. Might have been more interesting to have had Qui-Gon / old Obi-Wan shades of grey thrown in there for good measure. Also, people say it is like KOTOR but I didn't pick up on any of that. The links to Revan / Exile turned out to be a complete dickslap in the face, just like everything they did with Revan since.

BioWare games tend to be more entertaining on DS because of the completely unrealistic psychotic nature of it all. "YOU WERE RUDE TO ME SO I AM GOING TO EXECUTE YOU!" There aren't many games where you can actually do that. Obsidian's games, for example, are far more nuanced, but BioWare play it simple.

I will play it on dark side when I do my second playthrough as a Cathar female (must do other classes first).

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I actually started a Jedi Knight just to get the most out of my initial 30 days. The story started out good on Typhon but damn is the Jedi council as useless as ever. They made Kofi Annan back when he was head of the UN look proactive by comparison. What type of leaders go off the radar and leave a masterless Padawan who's only real ability is that they have combat training to deal with every damn problem?

Also whats wrong with Satele Shan's face? She looked good in the intro trailer and fine in the hand held holocom. But the second I met her I only had one reaction.
:what:

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
Oddly the JK storyline matches up quite well with the Fallen Empire plot...
My grey JK girl being turned to the dark side by the Emperor whispering in her ear. Good bit in Chapter Nine when you use his power to beat his son and you end up killing a half the defence fleet because they got too close to the massive lightning storm you unleash...and to follow up by Force Choking that blue haired engineer asking the stupid joke question when you get rescued by Lana.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
What I'm annoyed at with the JK is that the male VA is like the worst in the game.

BUT IT'S FUCKING SOLID SNAKE.

Oh well, I'm gonna go full Darkside on mine and I have a feeling it'll be hilarious since the Jedi Council praises me as the holiest of all knights (only played through the prologue)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
BioWare games tend to be more entertaining on DS because of the completely unrealistic psychotic nature of it all. "YOU WERE RUDE TO ME SO I AM GOING TO EXECUTE YOU!" There aren't many games where you can actually do that. Obsidian's games, for example, are far more nuanced, but BioWare play it simple.
Interestingly enough it's the LS Empire that is somewhat nuanced (though Agent is good both ways). And DS Pub is somewhat nuanced. E.g. Trooper DS (I think) values upholding the Republic and the Army more than individual citizens. Whereas LS Sith Warrior values honor and upholding the Empire while DS is just typical chaotic evil.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Think that's mainly because a lot of the earlier Bioware games they actively discouraged you from playing as an evil character. I found in KOTOR 1, turning to the dark side could badly fuck you over in the final stretch of the game, because doing so resulted in you killing off two of your Jedi characters, leaving you with just one Jedi character and someone who'll either be useless with a vibroblade or even more uselsss with a blaster to take down the dozens and dozens of Sith while storing the Star Forge.

Deleted member 7219

Think that's mainly because a lot of the earlier Bioware games they actively discouraged you from playing as an evil character. I found in KOTOR 1, turning to the dark side could badly fuck you over in the final stretch of the game, because doing so resulted in you killing off two of your Jedi characters, leaving you with just one Jedi character and someone who'll either be useless with a vibroblade or even more uselsss with a blaster to take down the dozens and dozens of Sith while storing the Star Forge.

Star Forge was easy on a DS character with Bastila and Zaalbar along for the ride. Besides, KOTOR and KOTOR 2's combat is laughable if you Force Storm through it all. If you don't have high enough WIS for Force Storm to kill enemies in one hit, you can just STR saber through everything instead.

hakuroshi

Augur
Consular is boring as hell, but it does allow to play something in line of Sir Alec Guinness' Obi-Wan, calm, composed and talking enigmatic Jedi BS, which can be entertaining. If only VO was better...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Consular is boring as hell, but it does allow to play something in line of Sir Alec Guinness' Obi-Wan, calm, composed and talking enigmatic Jedi BS, which can be entertaining. If only VO was better...
I've heard it really gets more interesting in Chapter 2, because you become a behind-the-scenes strategist, manipulator, etc. And because of that I think DS would be the best. Instead of being Obi-Wan, you actually are the Emperor-like class that the Sith Inquisitor should have been. Now, I don't see myself playing a LS Consular at all.

I actually don't mind the VA, but that's because I cosmetically designed my character to look like Superman - which Nolan North has played very well. Type 3 body type, swept back hair, etc. Otherwise, I feel like any other cosmetic choices I agree do not fit.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Now I'm trying to figure out what order to play the rest of my characters, without getting bored.

I already played the Inquisitor, Agent, and definitely with finish the Sith Warrior.

So I have Consular, JK, Smuggler, BH, and Trooper left.

I want to order it so I don't quit the game by losing interest.

I know Consular will always be a non-issue just because of being able to stealth and thus get through the storyline the fastest and without gameplay tedium. I also enjoy the Smuggler storyline. I think Bh should be fun. But JK and Trooper may be an issue.

Mainly the issue is that I am definitely going to have to do at least one back-to -bac Pub run because I already have had 2 Empire characters done for a long time. Should've did my Smuggler before my Warrior lol.

Thinkin I'll do Trooper next just to get it out of the way, and if I dislike it at least the Sith Warrior has kept me going. Then I'll have to go back to a better class/better storyline to bring back my enthusiasm for the game. I think I'll basically need to alternate so that I play an unenjoyable class then go back to an enjoyable one and alternate like that I guess.

Maybe Trooper -> JK (because Sentinel and DS may be fun) -> BH -> Consular (because again I an hoping the DS way can be interesting in a manipulative way) -> then Smuggler because I enjoy the Smuggler storyline. Or maybe Smuggler before Consular.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Woo made ~500k from a weapon I got from the Grand Weapon Pack, which is 75CC.

Also apparently the Weekly Passes (Ops, Flashpoints) sell very well. So you can buy those, sell them on GTN, and basically you transferred CC to get a guaranteed item you want.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The game is heavy on the CPU, but that's mainly because they use it to load the textures into the GPU. You using a SSD? Makes a hell of difference with loading textures...
Yeah I assumed as much, since I could hear my old HD screaming in agony on the station. No big deal though, I only visit it for mailing since I am too spacepoor for my own mailbox.

On The Progenitor (the one true Codex server) normal craftable +41 purple crystals are about 200K-250K at the moment...not many people make them anymore. Bog standard +41 blue crystals are very rare at the moment...seen them going for 500K. CC crystals on the other hand are normally less than 100K but of course the colours are shit for lightsabers, but OK for pew-pew.
My toons are slacking off on TRE, but thanks to Yavin buying those wouldn't be a problem now if I really wanted to.

Should have picked the FemConsu instead (I assume you picked the male one), that voice actress sounds not as bored as Nolan. At least during KOTFE she gives a top shelf performance, even better than the FemKnight. With a few exceptions, the female VAs outshine their male counterparts by miles.
Male Knight and Consu are just bad. BAD. Smuggler is pretty bland and Trooper only if you get spaceherpes from hearing JHale one more time. Can't really go wrong with males on imp side, though imho male quisi works better when LS (and fem DS).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Now I'm trying to figure out what order to play the rest of my characters, without getting bored.

I already played the Inquisitor, Agent, and definitely with finish the Sith Warrior.

So I have Consular, JK, Smuggler, BH, and Trooper left.

Smuggler first. Light hearted funny moments tied together by some "mmmm credits, I like credits" story. Scoundrel can also stealth, making leveling less of a chore.

Knight is very cliche if you like that. Think of Kotor 1 in terms of general tone. Later story is pretty weak, so much incompetence made me want to defect. The clowns are running the circus. But the knight definitely fits best in regarding SoR and KotfE, since only knight and warrior actually had to deal with the emperor.

Consu is... a mixed bag. All that healing in chapter 1 gets pretty boring, made me feel like the councils errand girl. Afterwards you get to be diplomat and alliance forger, making it more interesting than JK "OMG save planet #4 from destruction by superweapon #13 the republic lost!!!!eleventyone". If only forcequake AKA I-win-button didn't have such a shitty animation. Or an animation at all. And you get to do this kamehameha attack (AKA crotchblast) or what it is called, Vaarna_Aarne would approve.

Trooper is so fucking boring you only want to punch your superior every time they talk. I called mine "Murica", but I should have picked "Ramirez", because apparently I have to do EVERYTHING. ALONE. And general Garza makes Rumsfield look like some hippy.

BH is okay, weakest imp story still. Nothing special but you get what you expect. Still better than most pub stories though.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Smuggler first. Light hearted funny moments tied together by some "mmmm credits, I like credits" story. Scoundrel can also stealth, making leveling less of a chore.

Knight is very cliche if you like that. Think of Kotor 1 in terms of general tone. Later story is pretty weak, so much incompetence made me want to defect. The clowns are running the circus. But the knight definitely fits best in regarding SoR and KotfE, since only knight and warrior actually had to deal with the emperor.

Consu is... a mixed bag. All that healing in chapter 1 gets pretty boring, made me feel like the councils errand girl. Afterwards you get to be diplomat and alliance forger, making it more interesting than JK "OMG save planet #4 from destruction by superweapon #13 the republic lost!!!!eleventyone". If only forcequake AKA I-win-button didn't have such a shitty animation. Or an animation at all. And you get to do this kamehameha attack (AKA crotchblast) or what it is called, Vaarna_Aarne would approve.

Trooper is so fucking boring you only want to punch your superior every time they talk. I called mine "Murica", but I should have picked "Ramirez", because apparently I have to do EVERYTHING. ALONE. And general Garza makes Rumsfield look like some hippy.

BH is okay, weakest imp story still. Nothing special but you get what you expect. Still better than most pub stories though.
Oh I definitely enjoy the Smuggler.

I just don't want to get to the end and be like... eh... I don't feel like playing anymore because the next class is the JK. You know what I mean? I'm trying to ration it so that I am still interested in playing my last few classes.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You can be a mighty space pirate in the end, if that's not motivashun enough... also Twilight Sparkle Risha is a heartless harpy, but you can pawn her off to some noble for moneyz. :incline:

But that's why I advised AGAINST trooper. After that you would only say "fuck this game, Ima go play CoD instead". Although, if you are a flag saluting patriot of glorious KWA, you might get a different experience out of it...

I played SW and JK back-to-back, so I knew the mechanics. If you are going for Sentard it doesn't even matter. Taking a break from using glowsticks will keep the universe fresh for you.

If you ever decide to roll a female BH, keep in mind that supporting the male brat on Alderaan gives you the "Duchess" (or Baroness? Never got it on mine) title, if you decide to marry him. Doesn't change anything, but it's a nice title compared to the other crap.
I wanted "Lance Breaker" for my FemKnight, but nobody wanted to do the Yavin worldboss. Bummer.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You can be a mighty space pirate in the end, if that's not motivashun enough... also Twilight Sparkle Risha is a heartless harpy, but you can pawn her off to some noble for moneyz. :incline:

But that's why I advised AGAINST trooper. After that you would only say "fuck this game, Ima go play CoD instead". Although, if you are a flag saluting patriot of glorious KWA, you might get a different experience out of it...

I played SW and JK back-to-back, so I knew the mechanics. If you are going for Sentard it doesn't even matter. Taking a break from using glowsticks will keep the universe fresh for you.

If you ever decide to roll a female BH, keep in mind that supporting the male brat on Alderaan gives you the "Duchess" (or Baroness? Never got it on mine) title, if you decide to marry him. Doesn't change anything, but it's a nice title compared to the other crap.
I wanted "Lance Breaker" for my FemKnight, but nobody wanted to do the Yavin worldboss. Bummer.
Ah okay I understand. The thing is I'm going to play Trooper no matter what. COMPLETIONIST. I understand completely it's gonna make me want to fuck this game... but since I'm going to play it... gotta figure out which part of my lineup I will play it :p

Definately playing female BH because Azula's VA.

Going Sentard bc my SW is Juggernaut. But probably yeah, I'm indeed take a break between the glowsticks.

I have no issue with the Smuggler. I'm halfway through Coruscant (was alternating between all classes before) and thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Especially being a Mal Reynolds clone.

Since I'm totally motivated to play a Smuggler, I might put it at the end of the classes I play since I'll stay motivated with the light at the end of the tunnel.

hakuroshi

Augur
I've heard it really gets more interesting in Chapter 2, because you become a behind-the-scenes strategist, manipulator, etc. And because of that I think DS would be the best. Instead of being Obi-Wan, you actually are the Emperor-like class that the Sith Inquisitor should have been. Now, I don't see myself playing a LS Consular at all.

I actually don't mind the VA, but that's because I cosmetically designed my character to look like Superman - which Nolan North has played very well. Type 3 body type, swept back hair, etc. Otherwise, I feel like any other cosmetic choices I agree do not fit.

Well, you do things behind the scenes - again I think it was meant to show what Obi-Wan may have done to be known as General Kenobi. As I went full retard LS with Consular I cannot say for sure but I think DS choices there may not be Palpatine like as what you do is some shortcuts and sacrifice others to gain short time benefits in war. Not to build your own net of influence. It looked similar to what trooper does on DS.

I've made a fat zabrak for silly lulz. It sure have turned up silly but not much lulz...

Should have picked the FemConsu instead (I assume you picked the male one), that voice actress sounds not as bored as Nolan. At least during KOTFE she gives a top shelf performance, even better than the FemKnight. With a few exceptions, the female VAs outshine their male counterparts by miles.
Male Knight and Consu are just bad. BAD. Smuggler is pretty bland and Trooper only if you get spaceherpes from hearing JHale one more time. Can't really go wrong with males on imp side, though imho male quisi works better when LS (and fem DS).

Yeah, lesson learned, but I don't have enough autist in me to play Consular again. Though with 4.0 it should not take long. Maybe I'll do an insta-60 one if you say that she's decent in KOTFE.

Deleted member 7219

Is the female Smuggler voice actress that much better than the male?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Hard to say, while MaleSmug is a little bland, FemSmug is.... weird. Bipolar. Appears a little too childish at times, next she bitches at someone so hard the floor freezes over. I suggest looking up some Smuggler cutscenes on Jewtube and "taste" the voices. Storywise MaleSmug is a womanizer at every corner if you're into lots of fade-to-black moments, BUT! FemSmug has my favorite handling of a boss fight ever:
Very minor spoilers, just in case
When confronted by your archnemesis, you can seduce him, fade-to-black, then tell him he is the worst lay you ever had, kick him in the nuts, bossfight starts. I laughed so hard back then...

Also, spoilerfree protip for the SoR endboss fight:
The boss will occasionally put your allies in stasis and is invulnerable until you free them. To do that you have to pick up a colored orb and touch the ally with the same color underneath. However, when I played it the fight bugged out and Darth Bro was lying on floor instead of standing on the stasis platform. If that happens to you as well, you have to bring the bubble to the spot where he would have been, not where he really is.

Last edited:

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
Also, spoilerfree protip for the SoR endboss fight:
The boss will occasionally put your allies in stasis and is invulnerable until you free them. To do that you have to pick up a colored orb and touch the ally with the same color underneath. However, when I played it the fight bugged out and Darth Bro was lying on floor instead of standing on the stasis platform. If that happens to you as well, you have to bring the bubble to the spot where he would have been, not where he really is.
I wish they did more of the boss fights like that in the main class quest lines...you know using your whole crew. They only did something loosely like that with the Sith Warrior story on Taris. Would also help the eternally clueless train a bit on bosses that have actual mechanics so they aren't so completely useless in Flashpoints & Operations.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Considering that most bosses these days are just hp sponges you could wiggle down with a basic attack while facetanking his special attacks, yeah, I would like bosses that make you think for a while.
But please without bugs. When I played Red Raper a while ago, the boss mechanic didn't trigger correctly (he is supposed to draw power from underlings and by interruping them you create a feedback that damages him), I had to go through all his 200k with a forcestorm dealing 100 dmg tops to him. It was soooo much fun.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Leveling is strange now. Resubbed a couple of days ago and already have a smuggler I started at level 1 up to 65 before finishing with Ilum. And with the new companion mechanics I think they should go back and sith warrior story spoiler:

Make it possible to kill Quinn for his sudden yet inevitable betrayal. Hell, make it possible to kill all companions that displease you for whatever reason, I'm drowning in the bloody companions on my Sith Inquisitor now)

JasonNH

Augur
Yeah, XP and companion power curve makes leveling even more numbingly simplistic than ever. The planet scaling is hardly noticeable, except for unintended aggro when flying around. :roll:

JasonNH

Augur
I wish they did more of the boss fights like that in the main class quest lines...

That particular mechanic, yes, but not the ridiculous stun, choke, and knockback fest that is part of the SoR fight. I hate that stupid fight and glad I'll never have to do it again. They should introduce the PvP resolve mechanic into PvE planet questing so that you could at least approach it with more intelligible use of your CC break and other defensive cooldowns. Some classes are just pretty screwed there to sit around and watch half the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom