Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
650 Ti Boost
Shouldn't have any problems with it using that card. May have to turn down the shadows and turn AA off to get a stable 60fps though. Update your drivers using DDU to clear the old ones off first and use the latest MSI Afterburner to cap your framerate to 59fps.

I have a 770GTX running @ 2560x1600 with everything on and only have slow downs when on fleet with a fuck-ton of people in view or on Makeb which has some real problems with slowdowns in places regardless of what you are running.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Shouldn't have any problems with it using that card. May have to turn down the shadows and turn AA off to get a stable 60fps though. Update your drivers using DDU to clear the old ones off first and use the latest MSI Afterburner to cap your framerate to 59fps.

I have a 770GTX running @ 2560x1600 with everything on and only have slow downs when on fleet with a fuck-ton of people in view or on Makeb which has some real problems with slowdowns in places regardless of what you are running.
Yeah I only have slowdowns on fleet. Stupid fleet.

But shadows suck anyway because it adds the jaggy shadows in cutscenes

Also ingame AA sucks, I'm putting Sweetfx back on.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
5nurud.jpg
I won't lie, I only enter this thread to brofist these.

And I'm a Star Wars fanboy with a lifelong grudge against Star Trek!

hakuroshi

Augur
Does Synthweaving have anything at all that makes it a worthwhile crewskill?

Synthweaving makes Armor modifications with more Mastery then Armormech which focuses on Endurance. Otherwise not much of use except maybe for looks. Orange gear is still there but I am not sure where you can get recipes now.

Gregz

Arcane
Just started playing this last week, it's pretty fun, I'm a lvl 40 Sith Juggernaut.

Is there anything to the endgame besides running alts through their respective story lines?

Like AAs? (Alternate Advancements points that you can level after hitting cap to make your main super OP), or big raids etc? Maybe there's other fun stuff to do that they came up with?

I can't see making a bunch of alts holding my attention for very long, and I'm not really into PvP.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Just started playing this last week, it's pretty fun, I'm a lvl 40 Sith Juggernaut.

Is there anything to the endgame besides running alts through their respective story lines?

Like AAs? (Alternate Advancements points that you can level after hitting cap to make your main super OP), or big raids etc? Maybe there's other fun stuff to do that they came up with?

I can't see making a bunch of alts holding my attention for very long, and I'm not really into PvP.
There is definitely endgame PVE in terms of raids, yes. Haven't done them so I can't give you a reliable conclusion.

However:
+Based on how people talk about the raids (Ops), I haven't seen a single complaint.
-On the other hand, based on how people talk about the raids, they seem not as good (complexity-wise) as other games. Mostly the emphasis is on having the perfect rotation, etc. It doesn't seem like there is as much emphasis on handling aggro, specific strategies, etc. More-so just rote perfection on executing your abilities.

Again take that with a grain of salt, as I haven't done any endgame. Seems like the two balance out, actually, because IMO even these being Star Wars fanboys, you'd expect complaints if they were bad content in terms of overall quality.

Again on the other hand, the way the raids are designed may not live up to your standards with seemingly lack of emphasis on situational-based adaptation (for me, I think being tactically adaptive is more important than hitting the "perfect rotation.").

Also take into account my preference is for the class storylines so I am unlike you, in that I have no issue doing alts just for storyline.

Hopefully this helps you shed light.

Also, besides that, you're nearing endgame and enjoying your class, so you might as well just experience for yourself. BTW I also like the Juggernaut in terms of gameplay more than the other classes, in that I am playing it more than my other alts even though another storyline may be more interesting (granted the Sith Warrior storyline is higher on the quality list).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Ooooh and I will never again listen to Mangoose about shopping advice. I bought one outfit pack and got some space suit that looks almost excactly like the free starfighter one. Money well spent indeed.
Wanted to add to this based on what I've read: You can sell these Cartel armor/outfits on the GTN, after they become unbound in 2 days. So you may be able to sell your set on the GTN, then use those credits to buy a set you want on the GTN.

Also I just managed to get a Silver armor set out of a Bronze pack. That was after 5 Bronze packs... so with my low sample rate, 1/5 chance to get a Silver armor set with buying a Bronze Pack. Now, I'm probably gonna GTN 4 out of the 5 packs I got, so it may net me a good amount of credits so I can get the "Revan Reborn" Torso I want (cape + hood with 0 stupid pauldron shit). Will report back, lol.

I also tried the Grand Weapons Pack and I all three of the ones I got. Two assault cannons that look great, and managed one silver Blaster Rifle. Consider again these are 75CC packs so pretty good deal. Granted I have one of each class as I'd like to do all their storylines.

I'd also recommend getting one Grand Crystals Pack, 100CC. Mainly stat-wise, you're getting at least an Item Rating 136 crystal, which will add +41 to one stat. Way better than anything you can get normally. E.g. I'm Level 44 still running with the typical +4 Endurance/whatever crystal. But now I'm using a +41 Crit Rating crystal. (Though maybe you can get a comparable crystal off the GTN). I am not gonna get another Crystal... simply +41 to a stat is really good.

---

Edit: Holy crap, the silver Blaster Rifle I got will sell for 750k on the GTN. That's 75CC for 750k. Maybe I'll just buy a shitload of these and buy the chest piece I want, which is 3mil on the GTN.

Last edited:

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
Wanted to add to this based on what I've read: You can sell these Cartel armor/outfits on the GTN, after they become unbound in 2 days. So you may be able to sell your set on the GTN, then use those credits to buy a set you want on the GTN.

Also I just managed to get a Silver armor set out of a Bronze pack. That was after 5 Bronze packs... so with my low sample rate, 1/5 chance to get a Silver armor set with buying a Bronze Pack. Now, I'm probably gonna GTN 4 out of the 5 packs I got, so it may net me a good amount of credits so I can get the "Revan Reborn" Torso I want (cape + hood with 0 stupid pauldron shit). Will report back, lol.

I also tried the Grand Weapons Pack and I all three of the ones I got. Two assault cannons that look great, and managed one silver Blaster Rifle. Consider again these are 75CC packs so pretty good deal. Granted I have one of each class as I'd like to do all their storylines.

I'd also recommend getting one Grand Crystals Pack, 100CC. Mainly stat-wise, you're getting at least an Item Rating 136 crystal, which will add +41 to one stat. Way better than anything you can get normally. E.g. I'm Level 44 still running with the typical +4 Endurance/whatever crystal. But now I'm using a +41 Crit Rating crystal. (Though maybe you can get a comparable crystal off the GTN). I am not gonna get another Crystal... simply +41 to a stat is really good.
Don't forget if you have one +41 crystal from the market you can pull as many as you like from the Collection screen so you don't need to buy more. You can also unlock crystals / weapons / armour sets for you alts by spending CC...varies from item to item, some are only 60 CC for an account unlock, others 240 CC or 480 CC...seems to be a bit random and does change as well during sales. I've unlocked a nice collection of things for my alts and companions...helps a lot and you can easily get free CC from using that security key thingy which will give 100 CC per month regardless if you're subscribed or not.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Don't forget if you have one +41 crystal from the market you can pull as many as you like from the Collection screen so you don't need to buy more. You can also unlock crystals / weapons / armour sets for you alts by spending CC...varies from item to item, some are only 60 CC for an account unlock, others 240 CC or 480 CC...seems to be a bit random and does change as well during sales. I've unlocked a nice collection of things for my alts and companions...helps a lot and you can easily get free CC from using that security key thingy which will give 100 CC per month regardless if you're subscribed or not.
Yes I forgot to mention the Collections screen. Buying that Crystal makes you set for ALL your characters.

Agreed the 100CC from security key is bomb. It's FREE. A free app on the smartphone.. so literally free 100CC. Also the app is really unbloated, easy to use, just open the app, it lists the key, you plug it in, that's it.

So I'd say it's mandatory to spend 100CC for the Grand Crystals Pack, and mandatory to get the security key. Especially given that the free 100CC security key bonus means that the Crystals Pack is essentially free ;) And if you're subscribed you have no reason not to get the Crystal, since you have 500CC free.

Everything else is YMMV.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
??

You can add one on the main SWTOR.com website...
Yeah, Kem0sabe what happens is SWTOR.com spits out an activation code, and you plug in that code into your app. And then you've tied your app to your account.

In other words the app is not at all tied to your CDkey. It's tied to a new key generated on the spot.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I cannot access my account because I uninstalled the app ages ago and now the only way to get the key back is to actually call their client service. Halp, my autism cannot handle telephone calls D:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Fucking annoying that I get over 90FPS on a planet but then drop down to ~20FPS on the station
It's a result of all those extra armor models they added a while back to make extra moneyz, having to keep those ready can really strain your computer. And because the engine has texture loading issues paired with their vanity, I remember getting the occasional loading screen slapped in my face out of nowhere for a few seconds while the game reloaded. They didn't want to show all those half loaded textures. Even today I sometimes get stopped and unable to move on the station for a few seconds while the game reloads stuff.

That said, the game still seems to rely more on CPU than on GPU.

I only bought a purple one once, very expensive if I were to look at the stats. Not a fan of those CC crystals with black core and such. My other toons have some really low level crystals as well. Buuuut, Yavin told me that moneyz is only a matter of how much time you spend flying in circles and picking up boxes...

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
It's a result of all those extra armor models they added a while back to make extra moneyz, having to keep those ready can really strain your computer. And because the engine has texture loading issues paired with their vanity, I remember getting the occasional loading screen slapped in my face out of nowhere for a few seconds while the game reloaded. They didn't want to show all those half loaded textures. Even today I sometimes get stopped and unable to move on the station for a few seconds while the game reloads stuff.

That said, the game still seems to rely more on CPU than on GPU.
The game is heavy on the CPU, but that's mainly because they use it to load the textures into the GPU. You using a SSD? Makes a hell of difference with loading textures...
I only bought a purple one once, very expensive if I were to look at the stats. Not a fan of those CC crystals with black core and such. My other toons have some really low level crystals as well. Buuuut, Yavin told me that moneyz is only a matter of how much time you spend flying in circles and picking up boxes...
On The Progenitor (the one true Codex server) normal craftable +41 purple crystals are about 200K-250K at the moment...not many people make them anymore. Bog standard +41 blue crystals are very rare at the moment...seen them going for 500K. CC crystals on the other hand are normally less than 100K but of course the colours are shit for lightsabers, but OK for pew-pew.

JasonNH

Augur

With 4.0, Bioware has revamped end game content to try and make it all relevant again. Beginning at level 50, you can start doing story mode operations. They recently nerfed a number of the mechanics in order to make them more accessible to PUGs, but the better designed ops are still fun. You definitely can't get away with ignoring mechanics all together and just hope that your well honed rotation will get you through, but since this is my only MMO I don't have the experience to compare to others. My favorite ops are Eternity Vault, Terror from Beyond, and the two from Oricon (Dread Fortress and Dread Palace). If it all possible it would be a lot more fun for you to do them in a guild than a PUG as those are so hit or miss and take longer.

Operations also have hard modes, which are a major step up in difficulty in most cases. Mechanics can become very unforgiving so your rotation is of secondary concern in the sense that you really need not to have to think about it anymore and be so fluid that you just react naturally.

In addition to operations, there are hard mode flashpoints. The story mode versions can be done in solo or tactical mode now as you level, while hard mode flashpoints I believe also start at 50, though I would be reluctant to do one before 65. While these hard modes are supposed to be a step below difficulty of operations and something of an introduction to them, some of them are pretty brutal and not well tuned with the expansion, while others are pretty trivial. Again, they're essentially the story mode versions with more mechanics and/or more damage and higher health pools.

So there is quite a lot out there, but if you intend to spend much time with any of it, find a good guild that runs them regularly at a time that works for you would be my suggestion.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The game is heavy on the CPU, but that's mainly because they use it to load the textures into the GPU. You using a SSD? Makes a hell of difference with loading textures...
Weird. I never go over 25% CPU usage. Wonder if I should force Threaded Optimization instead of it being set to Auto (Nvidia)

Probably should also defrag since I did the manual switch from Bitraider to the old SSN system. No SSD.

Sweetfx could also be an issue since it uses its own dx9.dll... but ugh I need the Sharpening. Maybe just keep LumaSharpen and turn off other effects.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Finished Trooper storyline. Pretty good overall, made enjoyable by having Jennifer Hale as the voice actor and some really great Dark Side / psychotic convo options. There's a choice towards the end which is simply superb and as good as the best parts of Imp Agent / Sith Warrior storylines.

Three classes left. Bounty Hunter first, then Smuggler, then Consular. Everyone is hating on Consular but I want the shitty little legendary title so I have to do it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Finished Trooper storyline. Pretty good overall, made enjoyable by having Jennifer Hale as the voice actor and some really great Dark Side / psychotic convo options. There's a choice towards the end which is simply superb and as good as the best parts of Imp Agent / Sith Warrior storylines.

Three classes left. Bounty Hunter first, then Smuggler, then Consular. Everyone is hating on Consular but I want the shitty little legendary title so I have to do it.
JK was worth it?

You'll have fun with Smuggler.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I really hated the jedi Knight story, dark side consular was vastly superior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom