Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars: Kotor III is coming

Turjan

Arcane
The reason why the Exile can use Force powers is because as an absence in the Force, he is like a black hole to it.
If you think for a moment about what a black hole is, you will recognize how little sense this analogy makes in the case of the Exile. Nihilus looks more like it.

Stinger

Arcane
Actually, the Mass Shadow Generator was not what created the Wound in the Force. In the end it wasn't a cataclysmic event or anything like that what caused it, it was just one man being so afraid of what he had done. The Exile felt what Obi-Wan did, but unlike Obi-Wan he could not handle it and the fact those million screams in his head were all his own fault. In his fear and panic the Exile somehow managed to cut himself off from the Force through force of will. That's the big thing, the Exile was never anyone special before, it was nothing but an event he was never equipped to handle with that turned him into something greater in a moment of desperation.

The Exile is supposedly quite special prior to the Mandalorian Wars because of their force bonding ability, i.e. they can create bonds with others through the force very quickly and easily, can cut them off just as easily and can even strengthen the potential of Force sensitives they bond with (which is why almost all companions can become Jedis). This is why they were such a valuable general to Revan- it made them a great leader in battle.

The reason for the excessive amount of fear and pain is because the Exile had made bonds with all the soldiers they had lead into battle and they were feeling the brunt of all that when the Mass Shadow Generator went off. Remember that Exile flipped out when Kreia's hand was cut off so you can imagine what kind of pain they must've went through on Malachor. This is what leads them to subconsciously sever all ties with The Force (at this point they are still unaware of their abilities) and this is possible because of their unique ability to make bonds and sever bonds with the force and force sensitives- if you can accept the latter then accepting the ability to sever all ties with the Force itself should not be that much of a stretch.

What happened on Malachor is generally regarded as a Wound in the Force due to the massive amounts of entities of the Force who died there. The Exile is also regarded as a wound/void etc due their complete absence of the Force. I'm not entirely sure why Nihilus is regarded as a Wound though. I'd have thought a Wound in the force is an absence of it but Nihilus is pretty much a mindless force beast.

Vaarna explains the rest well, the Exile's force abilities in Kotor 2 are due to them forming bonds with their companions, beginning with Kreia, and in doing so forming a connection with the Force through others. It's not so much a black hole but a leech. Similarly they drain their enemies to strengthen themselves and their companions even further (Where the RPG elements and shared experience points come in). Nihilus cannot drain the Exile because they have no direct connection to the force, only indirect bonds through others. This enables The Exile to dominate Nihilus- Nihilus is a tool of the Force but the Force is a tool of the Exile.

I think the logic of it makes sense to me within the pseudo fantasy of the Star Wars setting. There's never really been any consistency within the setting but I think Kotor 2 follows the rules established by Kotor 1 quite closely and it works for me.

The Exile's force bonds with their companions follow similar rules to the bond between Revan and Bastilla- the big difference being that it's incredibly one sided in the Exile's case. Thinking about it, I wonder if that's metacommentary on how creepily one side romances and companion arcs are in RPGs but Bioware games especially?

TL;DR:troll:, but

I'm not entirely sure why Nihilus is regarded as a Wound though. I'd have thought a Wound in the force is an absence of it but Nihilus is pretty much a mindless force beast.

Wasn't he the survivor of the whole Mass Shadow Generator disaster? I recall something about him being left on the Malachor V surface after that, where he fed off other people left behind... which only made him hungrier.

Also, I think he was supposed to "mirror" the Jedi Exile in what Exile would've become if s/he (I think the female was 'canon', at least until that Meetra Surik derp shit) hadn't cut him/herself off from the Force after such disaster. After all, they both were participants of the Malachor V, but only one moved on with the tragedy.

Wait a minute...

fallout_new_vegas_ulysses_face_by_felixsoapmactavish-d4aki3t.png

:rage:

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
@Vaarna Aarne: The Exile can still use the Force when he does not have any force using companions. Therefore your theory is incorrect and does not compute.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, I think he was supposed to "mirror" the Jedi Exile in what Exile would've become if s/he (I think the female was 'canon', at least until that Meetra Surik derp shit) hadn't cut him/herself off from the Force after such disaster.
Yeah that's what I took from it too. MCA has actually commented on Nihilus:
Nihilus’ exact identity is never specified in K2 - I had a specific origin in mind, but not a name, if that makes sense, and what I say hear is not canon: He was created when Malachor V was torn apart, and he was intended as the Exile’s other half, one that took a more self-destructive path rather than denying the Force during that battle that ended the Mandalorian Wars.

As much as Nihilus embraced the Dark Side’s Force talent of consuming force sensitives (and other life, such as the mass Mandalorian slaughter), the Exile took the higher ground and cut himself off from the pull of such power. As powerful as Nihilus’ ability is in the short term, the drawback is that it robs the user of almost identity but hunger, which is why is never employed by the Sith Lords of old... who had no wish to sublimate their identities for any reason.

http://www.starwarsknights.com/interview20070924.php

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ok. I just read up on Revan and The Exile's ( yes The Exile's, I'm not even going to bother to remember that stupid name) fates following Kotor 2 and damn, way to fizzle out an interesting story. Was Bioware that desperate for some instances that they had to go and make complete pussies out of the protagonists?

The Exile's death I can deal with I guess, but Revan's? He was building a droid army and some taskforce killed him? That's it? One of the most powerful force users ever was taken down in what I assume was also an instanced event?

Gah, why does every MMO have to butcher its past canon. The exact same thing happened with Warcraft. Granted its storyline may have not been that remarkable, but Arthas was a good character, as was Illythian. So instead of actually making use of all that crap and those arcs, they just let some random guys kill them repeatedly. If Blizzard would ever want to continue with Warcraft I'll be very curious as to how they'll write themselves out of the shithole that WoW put them in.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Ok. I just read up on Revan and The Exile's ( yes The Exile's, I'm not even going to bother to remember that stupid name) fates following Kotor 2 and damn, way to fizzle out an interesting story. Was Bioware that desperate for some instances that they had to go and make complete pussies out of the protagonists?

The Exile's death I can deal with I guess, but Revan's? He was building a droid army and some taskforce killed him? That's it? One of the most powerful force users ever was taken down in what I assume was also an instanced event?

Gah, why does every MMO have to butcher its past canon. The exact same thing happened with Warcraft. Granted its storyline may have not been that remarkable, but Arthas was a good character, as was Illythian. So instead of actually making use of all that crap and those arcs, they just let some random guys kill them repeatedly. If Blizzard would ever want to continue with Warcraft I'll be very curious as to how they'll write themselves out of the shithole that WoW put them in.

dont worry, SWTOR has done so poorly that if kotor 3 is made theyll probably just ignore it altogether

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've watched the fight video, didn't he tele out? (yeah force teleporting is a thing apparently, Fold Space) Seems likely, no way would BioWare would kill their own awesome character, only Obsidians, also while they were at it they made it a boring sidekick who seems like she never even met Kreia. Good show all around!

but Arthas was a good character, as was Illythian.
Who?

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I've watched the fight video, didn't he tele out? (yeah force teleporting is a thing apparently, Fold Space) Seems likely, no way would BioWare would kill their own awesome character, only Obsidians, also while they were at it they made it a boring sidekick who seems like she never even met Kreia. Good show all around!
Huh, I guess you're right. I only read the blurb on the wiki and assumed that they just offed him. So I guess he'll be making yet another boss appearance soon enough.
Illidian. My bad.

Stinger

Arcane
Seems likely, no way would BioWare would kill their own awesome character, only Obsidians, also while they were at it they made it a boring sidekick who seems like she never even met Kreia. Good show all around!

Worse than that, I think the Revan novel even retconned Kreia's role as Revan's mentor. And George Lucas or someone retconned Kreia from someone with a genuine critique of the force into some mad old hag driven insane from being corrupted by sith scrolls.

They basically hated her so much they more or less rewrote her out of existence.

Star Wars is just so intent on destroying the few good elements it has left.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
It's not LARPing anymore, that was what smelly nerds and nerd-geeks did.

It's called Cosplaying now, and it's what the cool'n'chic ppl like Felicia Day do.

:smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

This is actually a thing superhero MMOs have an inherent advantage at: It's simply a usual day for a supervillain to start shit and have a random ragtag group of can-do attitude people who escaped from Mardi Gras attack them. And of course, they have an obligation to escape and declare you haven't seen the last of them.

Deleted member 7219

It's great if you don't have the original CDs. I'm considering buying it again in case my CDs get scratched, although I'm not sure if the UniWS patcher will work with the Steam version. I could get a fixed EXE, I suppose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom