Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars: Kotor III is coming

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
What did the first 2 star wars movies have that made them for kids? Don't give the proving a negative fallacy, Shrek.

Have you actually read that correctly?

I am talking about the depth and the skill of making it.
Is Commando a kids movie? At least have the decency to ninja edit your posts before claiming to have said something you didn't.

Captain Shrek

Look feathered serpent, I am Not going to argue on the issue if Star wars is a children's movie or not. You don't think it is, fine with you. You can call it the masterpiece of dramatic media for all I care, ok?

It not happening because its obvious or anything, I just see why you would have a bone to pick. That is all.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Btw, Darth Maul has returned in Clone Wars. He had transformed into a drider

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul#Defeat
However, Maul managed to survive his defeat at the hands of Kenobi. Through his hate and will to live, as well as his hatred against Kenobi, he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent. He escaped to Lotho Minor in order to escape Sidious' anger for his failure. Maul acquired a six-legged arachnid-like cybernetic apparatus to replace his lost lower body, and stayed in the caves of the planet. For over ten years, Maul's memories were lost and he was in a state of near-madness, eating only the little animals that came to the cave, aided in obtaining shelter and sustenance only by a sly and mysterious Anacondan, but the only thing he remembered was Obi-Wan Kenobi and how he took his legs.

DarthScorpionKing-SWE.png

so how does one go about purchasing a cybernetic spider scooter while cut in half

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Look feathered serpent, I am Not going to argue on the issue if Star wars is a children's movie or not. You don't think it is, fine with you. You can call it the masterpiece of dramatic media for all I care, ok?

It not happening because its obvious or anything, I just see why you would have a bone to pick. That is all.
What bone to pick? You hadn't brought a good reason to consider Star Wars a kiddie film and I question that. And quote me goddamnit!

Btw, Darth Maul has returned in Clone Wars. He had transformed into a drider

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul#Defeat
However, Maul managed to survive his defeat at the hands of Kenobi. Through his hate and will to live, as well as his hatred against Kenobi, he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent. He escaped to Lotho Minor in order to escape Sidious' anger for his failure. Maul acquired a six-legged arachnid-like cybernetic apparatus to replace his lost lower body, and stayed in the caves of the planet. For over ten years, Maul's memories were lost and he was in a state of near-madness, eating only the little animals that came to the cave, aided in obtaining shelter and sustenance only by a sly and mysterious Anacondan, but the only thing he remembered was Obi-Wan Kenobi and how he took his legs.

DarthScorpionKing-SWE.png

so how does one go about purchasing a cybernetic spider scooter while cut in half

Wow, that shit was retarded. There are better ways of bringing back villains.

After Ep 1 I was convinced that Darth Maul would be back like some kind of floating monster, like Maw in Jedi Knight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeVSN4-C4dQ

Turjan

Arcane
What bone to pick? You hadn't brought a good reason to consider Star Wars a kiddie film and I question that. And quote me goddamnit!
The original Star Wars film was typical "young-adult" fiction (as teen literature is called today) with its coming-of-age theme.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
After Ep 1 I was convinced that Darth Maul would be back like some kind of floating monster, like Maw in Jedi Knight.

he would look pretty awesome as a sith genie except instead of the tornado thing his lower half is a set of four vectored thrust engines powered by hate

macross maul

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
If its being developed by LucasArts or Bioware then Kotor 3 WILL be bad. Seriously, i think the best momment i've had in my gaming history was in Kotor 2 when Mira actually refused me. I was glad to finally not be the guy that every woman jumps upon, i was even impressed that the game decided to give me a chance to try and get with her rather than not giving me the option at all. Beyond that the writing in Kotor 2 was perfect for a star wars game i think. We wont be seeing that happening again though, oh no.
Not to mention MCA understands that romance needs to take its time and develop properly. There's also a funny bit with Kreia when after you've dueled Handmaiden enough times she gets mom-angry again and asks just what the hell do you think you're doing (not to mention pointing out that unarmed duels like that are a really, really intimate thing for the Echani).

And actually KotOR2 was the perfect Star Wars in terms of writing. Period. It decided to make things a bit more interesting and tackle more serious themes and setting implications (free will being a key subject) that others hadn't done, being largely a deconstruction of the original films and tearing the Extended Universe a new asshole. Not to mention it's appropriately critical of the Jedi and the Force.
Yet I often see people who say they enjoy KotOR 1's story more. Hurts a little each time. All it did was coast through a quite generic good vs evil storyline and threw in as many references to the original trilogy as possible and a decent twist. The result: SW franchise fans gushing.

Honestly, my first playthrough of KOTOR 2 was relatively bug-free and enjoyable, but how it handled the force was very alien to the movies much like a lot of the EU. How can one be "the heart or death of the force" (I'll be darned if this wasn't clumsily written ego-stroking) when "the force is an energy field generated by all living things?" Am I to understand that Kreia possessed such a large mcguffin that all life would have been extinguished? How can you be dead to the force when you are still alive? Also, consider that Kreia may just be completely deluded. She thinks the force is some kind of malicious power, yet my experiences with the movies and both games was that they consisted of two types of people: those who were responsible in the use of the force and those who let it define them and their goals (of gaining more power) . Both Luke and Anakin chose of their own freewill (in Return of the Jedi he decided that he loved his much more than his former ambitions). Yoda summed up whatever mental hold the force had on them best: "The dark side is faster and more seductive." To the last moment Kreia was making the choice to be given to her own weaknesses.

KOTOR 2 feels like a different universe using similar terms, IMHO.

If its being developed by LucasArts or Bioware then Kotor 3 WILL be bad. Seriously, i think the best momment i've had in my gaming history was in Kotor 2 when Mira actually refused me. I was glad to finally not be the guy that every woman jumps upon, i was even impressed that the game decided to give me a chance to try and get with her rather than not giving me the option at all. Beyond that the writing in Kotor 2 was perfect for a star wars game i think. We wont be seeing that happening again though, oh no.
Not to mention MCA understands that romance needs to take its time and develop properly. There's also a funny bit with Kreia when after you've dueled Handmaiden enough times she gets mom-angry again and asks just what the hell do you think you're doing (not to mention pointing out that unarmed duels like that are a really, really intimate thing for the Echani).

And actually KotOR2 was the perfect Star Wars in terms of writing. Period. It decided to make things a bit more interesting and tackle more serious themes and setting implications (free will being a key subject) that others hadn't done, being largely a deconstruction of the original films and tearing the Extended Universe a new asshole. Not to mention it's appropriately critical of the Jedi and the Force.
Yet I often see people who say they enjoy KotOR 1's story more. Hurts a little each time. All it did was coast through a quite generic good vs evil storyline and threw in as many references to the original trilogy as possible and a decent twist. The result: SW franchise fans gushing.

Honestly, my first playthrough of KOTOR 2 was relatively bug-free and enjoyable, but how it handled the force was very alien to the movies much like a lot of the EU. How can one be "the heart or death of the force" (I'll be darned if this wasn't clumsily written ego-stroking) when "the force is an energy field generated by all living things?" Am I to understand that Kreia possessed such a large mcguffin that all life would have been extinguished? How can you be dead to the force when you are still alive? Also, consider that Kreia may just be completely deluded. She thinks the force is some kind of malicious power, yet my experiences with the movies and both games was that they consisted of two types of people: those who were responsible in the use of the force and those who let it define them and their goals (of gaining more power) . Both Luke and Anakin chose of their own freewill (in Return of the Jedi he decided that he loved his much more than his former ambitions). Yoda summed up whatever mental hold the force had on them best: "The dark side is faster and more seductive." To the last moment Kreia was making the choice to be given to her own weaknesses.

I don't remember Kreia having any kind of plan on how to pull that trick, iirc she required the exiles help, for that reason she was explaing her point of view to the player. Basically she thought that to kill the force, even if that was posible (and for what I remember she wasn't very sure of that being posible) she needed the exiles help. She did feel a bit deluded to me too.
The ending was a mess, and her ambitions wre a bit wtf, but the master and aprentice parts were pretty cool, and I liked bringing something different to the force.
Still, she was a cool bitch. Would bang.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
She was a cool villain, but moreso for being mysterious, sharp-witted, and kind of a monster rather than for plot reasons. Generally very well-written, a sith master who is fine with you trying to do your best rather than give in to pettiness like her (up-bup-bup-bup- stop right there I'll just take the Sith Lord training, thank you very much), but her motives and ideology came off as obscure for me by the end.

Turjan

Arcane
She was a cool villain, but moreso for being mysterious, sharp-witted, and kind of a monster rather than for plot reasons. Generally very well-written, a sith master who is fine with you trying to do your best rather than give in to pettiness like her (up-bup-bup-bup- stop right there I'll just take the Sith Lord training, thank you very much), but her motives and ideology came off as obscure for me by the end.
Yup. It wasn't only the unfinished part that detracted from the end. It was also the fact that the "solution" to the new take on the force didn't make much sense to me. Lots of built-up suspense, but no good idea of how to solve it.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
She needed Exile cause he/she/it was the ONLY one person giving up the Force voluntarly and living after it. Both Sith and Jedi were too much used to use force as crutch or universal mcguffin to even try to... Can't blame them I am not Ludite neither. Moreover procedure was often fatal as fate of Masters in Jedi playthrough proved.

BTW is the Restoration project updated? Instead of playing shit like ME3, Risen 2 or Max Payne 3 I have time and desire to replay KOTOR 2.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I don't remember Kreia having any kind of plan on how to pull that trick, iirc she required the exiles help, for that reason she was explaing her point of view to the player. Basically she thought that to kill the force, even if that was posible (and for what I remember she wasn't very sure of that being posible) she needed the exiles help. She did feel a bit deluded to me too.
The ending was a mess, and her ambitions wre a bit wtf, but the master and aprentice parts were pretty cool, and I liked bringing something different to the force.
Still, she was a cool bitch. Would bang.
The main thing to understand about the story of KotOR2 is that Kreia is NOT a villain in it. Her entire over-arching is your training that culminates in the final lesson on Malachor V and the choice she leaves you with. She's a teacher and mother figure first and foremost. Another thing that there is no McGuffin in her hands, there's only you in the end. The whole big thing about you was that the Exile proves that life without the Force IS possible, and for Kreia preferable, because unlike everyone else the Exile is truly free from the Force's deterministic influence (there is no coincidence, there is only the Force). The whole point that Kreia sees repulsive about the Force is that it decides your life before you, according to her the only thing that determined the actions of Luke or Anakin was the Force, not they themselves. This ties in with the fact that Kreia herself has led a very crappy life where ever coincidence is against her. There is no choice, there is only the Force. The Exile is potentially the *only* being ever who can choose.

Kreia never turned to the dark side during the events of KotOR2, and quite simply she couldn't because she wasn't connected to the Force but able to manipulate it due to her connection to the Exile. She orchestrated the entire chain of events so she could bring out everything she could from the Exile, so that BECAUSE he has made his own decisions without interference from the Force, he will be ready to make the ultimate decision (risk all life and end potential determinist existence, or preserve the status quo). Every single action Kreia makes is motivated by mother's love towards the Exile first and foremost. And she can make this plan on her own, because through the Exile she herself is free from the Force.

The reason why the Exile is important for her plan to "kill" the Force is that the Exile is void of the Force, a little empty hole where the Force doesn't apply, and something that was achieved through nothing but willpower and fear alone. The Exile had severed himself off the Force through nothing but wanting to do so alone, because he was so afraid of how the millions of deaths caused by the Mass Shadow Generator felt. Kreia understood that in theory, he could make that wound grow until it swept across the universe and ultimately "kill" the Force, simply by wanting it hard enough. The final dilemma is really about whether or not you're ready to potentially murder billions (or all life) for true free will, just because the Force can lead to undeserved suffering and pain no one can choose alternative of. Or, if you think that Kreia is wrong, that the Force does not control everything. Or if you think that the Force is just power that needs to be grasped. etc, etc. This is the reason why the game spent so much time showing just how much of a bad thing the Force potentially is, from the tragic Sion and Nihilus to the equally blind puppets that the Jedi are. The constant theme is that you see how people, "Light" or "Dark", simply lose everything they are to the Force.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you somehow (but why? Only reason I came to was to show how useless, pathetic and beneth you they were ) spare the Jedi faggs as ''Dark'' side user/Sith Kreia will comment instead of ''cause you were afraid'' Because You had no (other) choice.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Even stupider than robo Maul, is the face that we already know he can't actually do anything. He can't kill Kenobi, Anakin, Dooku, Grievous, Sidious, Yoda, Windu, etc.

I guess he could kill Opress, or Anakins annoying apprentice....but that don't count for shit,

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
She orchestrated the entire chain of events so she could bring out everything she could from the Exile, so that BECAUSE he has made his own decisions without interference from the Force, he will be ready to make the ultimate decision (risk all life and end potential determinist existence, or preserve the status quo).
Except you never really get to make this decision right? Or is that part of the restored content?

I was under the impression her real goal was to get the Exile as powerful as he could become (which, because he had 'lived without the force', was stronger than most others could potentially get) while also showing him the failures of the blind zealotry of both the Jedi and 'Sith' in order for him to effectively aid in defeating whatever Revan had gone after.

And she can make this plan on her own, because through the Exile she herself is free from the Force.

Wasn't she cut off from the force by others at some point? Either in the beatdown from Sion and Nihlus (She says something like 'stripped of my power', though that could just mean her position) or perhaps from her banishment from the Jedi (they always say they did it in extreme cases). I have yet to actually see every influence dialogue so there is probably things I am missing.

Kreia never turned to the dark side during the events of KotOR2

Her extreme manipulations of others was certainly dark though. Also killing the Jedi Masters. All for the greater good I suppose.

On another note, when I decided to give KotOR 2 another playthrough, I decided to look up if the Exile was present at all in TOR somehow (as I heard Revan was). I found this.

It seems Kreia's teachings and thoughts on the Exile had no impact on the cannon character :x.

Vaarna_Aarne

She orchestrated the entire chain of events so she could bring out everything she could from the Exile, so that BECAUSE he has made his own decisions without interference from the Force, he will be ready to make the ultimate decision (risk all life and end potential determinist existence, or preserve the status quo).
Except you never really get to make this decision right? Or is that part of the restored content?

I was under the impression her real goal was to get the Exile as powerful as he could become (which, because he had 'lived without the force', was stronger than most others could potentially get) while also showing him the failures of the blind zealotry of both the Jedi and 'Sith' in order for him to effectively aid in defeating whatever Revan had gone after.
From her perspective, the threat Revan went after was irrelevant next to free will.

Also, Exile doesn't get stronger and more powerful per se, the plot also has a deconstruction of the XP mechanic in it. The Exile absorbs power from others because of the fact he is a hole in the Force you see. The purpose of Kreia's training was for him to have the strength of character to make decisions for himself.

And yea, the final decision is presented in a rather watered down way there, it's done more by the dialogue choices and your prior alignment choices (lots of additional stuff here with the restored content btw). And of course, you can't decide to kill the Force due to Lucas immediately pulling the plug if MCA had tried to do something like that.

And she can make this plan on her own, because through the Exile she herself is free from the Force.
Wasn't she cut off from the force by others at some point? Either in the beatdown from Sion and Nihlus (She says something like 'stripped of my power', though that could just mean her position) or perhaps from her banishment from the Jedi (they always say they did it in extreme cases). I have yet to actually see every influence dialogue so there is probably things I am missing.

It's different with the Exile. Individuals like Kreia simply cannot use the Force, they're sealed from it. But the Force is completely absent in the Exile. It also bears mention that Kreia does NOT regain her connection to the Force during the game, she merely benefits from the same link that Exile forms with the entire party, where everyone grows stronger from the black hole effect the Exile has on the world around him (= They share in his XP; also why most of the party can become Jedi). If Exile "killed" the Force, his "Force powers" would vanish just the same.

Kreia never turned to the dark side during the events of KotOR2
Her extreme manipulations of others was certainly dark though. Also killing the Jedi Masters. All for the greater good I suppose.

On another note, when I decided to give KotOR 2 another playthrough, I decided to look up if the Exile was present at all in TOR somehow (as I heard Revan was). I found this.

It seems Kreia's teachings and thoughts on the Exile had no impact on the cannon character :x.
That's correct, the official canon *loathes* KotOR2, and has retconned Kreia into being merely evil and out to destroy the universe. Pretty much the only thing kept intact is the way it presented Revan's power in the grand scheme of things, again purely for Bioware/fan-wank potential about their pet character.

And actually, there was absolutely *nothing* evil in her killing the Jedi Masters. They were nothing conceited, self-righteous dickbags without any real commitment to the good of others, or any real wisdom to impart. They were only arrogant, blind puppets with a destructive influence on the Galaxy's destiny (the Mandalorian Wars for example were far more bloody than they had to be because of Jedi arrogance and self-righteousness).

Also, her manipulations aren't for the greater good. Her two prime reasons: Her selfless love for the Exile, and her hatred of the Force and its determinist influence.

TNO

Augur
KOTOR 2 is far too good for the star wars expanded universe. Yes the gameplay is so easy you can probably win it by auto-level up and autoattacking, and yes they do just cut out lots of writing and exposition (Bao-dur, the endgame), and at times its philosophizing on the nature of the force veers towards being a rembrandt comic book, but heavens above the writing is incredible: to take something like the SW mythos (an utter clusterfuck of mediocrity and cramming in detail and campaigns) cleverly deconstruct it and use the remains to probe far more interesting questions than the usual 'Dark side doing something bad! Stop them!', is great. Kreia best videogame character of all time? Plausibly. Better written 'dark middle act of trilogy' than Ep. 5? Also plausibly.

To show the massive gulf between Obsidian and bioware, note that KOTOR2, with a few odd conversations manages to retconn a infinitely better backstory of Revan (some strange alexsander the great figure fighting a very long game to prepare the galaxy and then leaving mysteriously) than the entire game of KOTOR1 managed despite you being that character. (It also, in retrospect, makes the KOTOR1 DS ending far more cool than the canon LS-saves-the-day pablum).

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update 19/

I could go on, but suffice it to say any self-respecting narratological critic story fag must play this game. Of course the hordes of hack writers/bioware just shat all over the story in the 'canon' and the sequels. Apparently the awesome sith empire dealt with only by frightened allusion is just miscellaneous dark side empire number 3, they erase all the interesting ambiguities over the nature of the force and Revan and Exile's path by making them avowedly LS and all the mean things he did was just due to sith brainwashing, Kreia and her themes vanish without trace, and the grand final act of the trilogy has been cannabalized by this MMO for pretty pathetic ends.

I don't have high hopes for any KOTOR3 which Obsidian doesn't write. But everyone should play KOTOR2

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent.

:hmmm:

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Again this is just personal taste (and I very much liked the story of KOTOR 2), but the force was turned into some metaphysical mishmash. The problem is not showing that it is possible to live without the force but that it is possible to be alive and not generate it. Furthermore, how does the PC manage to create these strong bonds with people if he is missing the sole thing in the SW universe that "surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together?" That quote is how you get that there are no coin idences bit- not because the force itself is sentient, but because all life is interconnected and infinite ("mourn not those who have become one with the force" or something like that. The force is life. All life is connected. C&C).

Thinking on this, living on through the force makes death meaningless, and that is why, "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant to the power of The Force."

Vaarna_Aarne

Again this is just personal taste (and I very much liked the story of KOTOR 2), but the force was turned into some metaphysical mishmash. The problem is not showing that it is possible to live without the force but that it is possible to be alive and not generate it. Furthermore, how does the PC manage to create these strong bonds with people if he is missing the sole thing in the SW universe that "surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together?" That quote is how you get that there are no coin idences bit- not because the force itself is sentient, but because all life is interconnected and infinite ("mourn not those who have become one with the force" or something like that. The force is life. All life is connected. C&C).

Thinking on this, living on through the force makes death meaningless, and that is why, "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant to the power of The Force."
The reason is that the Exile is essentially a black hole in the Force. He either devours the Force around him (from his slain enemies) or creates a two-fold link between certain people (the party). The Exile himself is completely devoid of the Force, the only reason he can use the Force is because of the link to the party members who are almost all Force Sensitives (specifically, Kreia). The major difference between the Exile and Nihilus is that Nihilus IS a Force user and part of the Force, completely devoured by the Force; but the Exile is completely void of the Force and living proof that it is possible to live without the Force. The Exile doesn't merely not generate the Force, he is an absence in the Force, the only point in the universe where there is no Force, and because of that he becomes a black hole effect on the Force, draining it away into nothingness (and what Kreia hopes for, is that the Exile decides and has the resolve to do that to ALL Force, thus setting the Galaxy free from predestination). The theme with the Sith Lords was that because they'd become so one with the Force they were no longer living a life worth living, being just empty puppets. The whole point in the fight with Sion was to prove him that the only way he'll ever find peace is by doing what the Exile does and cut himself loose from the bonds of the Force, even if it kills him.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Sounds awesome! I BROFIST your devotion.... but this is one of my "girly boys with giant swords moments." It is a little too outside of plausible for my preconceptions... and even with that criticism the game was a blast! Darth Mythos on the start screen, YEAH!

Turjan

Arcane
The reason is that the Exile is essentially a black hole in the Force. He either devours the Force around him (from his slain enemies) or creates a two-fold link between certain people (the party). The Exile himself is completely devoid of the Force, the only reason he can use the Force is because of the link to the party members who are almost all Force Sensitives (specifically, Kreia). The major difference between the Exile and Nihilus is that Nihilus IS a Force user and part of the Force, completely devoured by the Force; but the Exile is completely void of the Force and living proof that it is possible to live without the Force. The Exile doesn't merely not generate the Force, he is an absence in the Force, the only point in the universe where there is no Force, and because of that he becomes a black hole effect on the Force, draining it away into nothingness (and what Kreia hopes for, is that the Exile decides and has the resolve to do that to ALL Force, thus setting the Galaxy free from predestination).
You know, I always found this concept to be incredibly stupid. Everything you say follows just fine from there like you say it, and as a consequence it makes sense, but I don't like the premise.

I still like the game, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom