Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Trek: Legacy is the worst game ever.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Seboss said:
psycojester said:
This sounds almost as bad as when i bought call of Cthullu, best money i ever spent on an .exe that would on command open up a blank grey screen and do nothing.
I am one of the few lucky people who could play Dark Corner of the Earth without any problem. I think it is a very good game.

Same. Surprising, given that Headfirst (the developer) folded after the Xbox version was put out and one guy remained to get the PC port done.

Shoelip

Arbiter
It really seems like Bethesda is trying to see just how far they can get on bullshit and graphics alone. It's kind of weird.

Anyone remember Sea Dogs 2? You might not because when the game was mostly done it suddenly got renamed Pirates of the Carribean, as in the disney movie. It seems like that was the start of it to me. Thogh I admit I'm no expert.

I have, believe it or not, never played a Star Trek game in my life. Not a fan and they all looked extremely retarded.

Micmu

Magister
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Not a fan and they all looked extremely retarded.
Well, according to the fans ex-fans at official forum, this is the worst and most dumbed down ST game ever made. They even had a pool and most of them voted for 1/5 rating.

Bethesda surely knows how to stay true to the roots. :lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They voted in a pool?

Star_Trek_TNG_A_Final_Unity.jpg

A Final Unity is the only Star Trek game that's worthwhile. Actually, it's quite interesting, and if you're looking for a (somewhat boring, but) good adventure, you should give it a try.

And it has Paetrik Stuart voice acting!! Everyone knows a game becomes instantly better when it has Pattrick Steward!!

[In fact, he HAS a great voice, being a trained Shakespearean actor. I must say, he did make Lands of Lore feel more fleshed out and immersive to my young, impressionable mind.]

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
micmu said:
Well, according to the fans ex-fans at official forum, this is the worst and most dumbed down ST game ever made. They even had a pool and most of them voted for 1/5 rating.

Bethesda surely knows how to stay true to the roots. :lol:

Bumping up a bit here. Guess what happened to Star Trek Gamers, ST franchise oldest and most dedicated fansite?

Yes folks, it turns out that Bethesda Softworks have taken a leaf out of our old friend Activisions book when it comes to dealing with criticism, blackball them. Today Bethesda Softworks removed the STG's link on the fansite page and all links going to STG in the bethesda Softworks forum has been removed...with no warning to myself or the staff.

A Bethesda rep had this to say about it:
Well, to start off, let me give you the official statement;
"Linking to this site is not permitted due to prior infractions of our forum rules and Bethesda's terms and conditions."

Considering the abuse you've given to devs and moderators who either work for bethesda, or volunteer their spare time to moderator the forums here. both on this site and on your own, and on your podcasts, And considering your general disruptiveness and negativity, bethesda has decided to remove any and all links to the STG.

Any post containing it has been removed, and made after today will be edited, the same goes for signatures.

I'm sure Bethesda is very sorry it had to come to this, but they believe you left them very little choice.

The Star Trek admin puts it well:

We are the ONLY SITE to have shown this much support for Bethesda Softworks. Bethesda have literally used and abused STG's massive coverage for their own advancement of Star Trek: Legacy, a poorly designed, poorly planned out game, a game for which Bethesda are taking heavy criticism for, and they will continue to be blasted by this site and The Array for taking advantage of the good will of STG and taking advantage of the trek gaming populace.

Once again, we are faced with a game publisher who cannot take criticism, and once again the Star Trek gaming public suffers. I had a gutfull of Activision, im sure as hell not going to sit back and watch as another incompetent publisher takes the helm of this once massive gaming franchise. For the sake of trek gaming in general, its about time the readers of this site voice their concern of the blackballing of the biggest and oldest trek gaming site who have shown more support than any other trek gaming site out there.

Here's the thread.

Nice work, Bethesda.

Whot?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Bethesda is going to end up blacklisting the entire internet, if this goes on.

Kraszu

Prophet
Miri's HOT!!! said:
I was a critic of the game before, and I've changed my mind. After figuring stuff out on your own , sound card problems, video etc.( the Manual really doesn't go into depth) you can unlock the beauty of the game, "Brightness slider" to make the game look great. Yes it still has problems in a lot of areas. But after looking through the threads of others that found out how to adjust things, tweak things. I've changed my mind. I look forward to the fixes that are needed.

Why are you so no negative, there are some bright things about the game. On esf when somebody doesn't like the game people tell him to use difficulty slider, on Star Trek: Legacy he will got advice to use brightness slider.

Briosafreak

Augur
Admiral jimbob said:
"Linking to this site is not permitted due to prior infractions of our forum rules and Bethesda's terms and conditions."

You know, I could swear I've seen something like this before.

Yeah, I wonder where...

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Let's count the days until they go all Interplay and close down their own forums. Which is going to happen anyway, once the official Fallout 3 website is launched.

taxacaria

Scholar
Cthulhu said:
Hmm. New allies in the fight against Bethsoft.

Indeed.
Auntie Beth has the ability to annoy old fans of every released game -
heading for dumbed down xbox action craps.
Lie, feed the hype, rip-off the fan communities and eliminate criticism - that's Bethesda's strategy.
TES IV...ST:Legacy...I fear next will be Fallout3

Darkflame

Scholar
Shoelip said:
Apparently mods will fix all of the problems. So predicts todd240.

http://startrek.bethsoft.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3410&view=findpost&p=77323

lol, Frankie's on that forum too, fighting the good battle on multiple fronts...

haha priceless...

Source code
The modding community found numerous examples of very sloppy coding within the Legacy files, including a number of bizarre inclusions such as a photograph of a developer with his pet goats [7]. These errors in code which was clearly intended to be taken out suggested that the game had been rushed to its completion before it was ready.

Numerous examples of extra coding left in the game files were found, such as one file that read: "Not For Release //comment this out before release" and "// code will have to be changed when we are putting in real components concerning locations"

http://startrek.bethsoft.com/forums/ind ... topic=6552

kris

Arcane
One year from now...

Bethesda said:

Considering the abuse they've given to devs and moderators who either work for bethesda, or volunteer their spare time to moderator the forums here. both on this site and on your own. We consider you all to be grumpy old men on your website "My little pony fansite" and considering your general disruptiveness and negativity, bethesda has decided to remove any and all links to your pony loving site.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I wonder how many posters at the various bethesda forums are just paid OGMs? Bethesda making friends and fans wherever they go...

Escapist magazine had an interesting article about the history of Bethesda and how the founder funded it independently until c. 1999, led in Zenimax to pump in more cash only to be booted out around the time Morrowind came out. The article goes on with Toddles talking shit as usual, sounding like after they got rif of Weaver the company went to total shit, letting the inmates run the asylum.

Just think, even if Bethesda totally fucks up(or maybe its the long run plan), it'll be a good tax writeoff when they start to hemorrhage cash after fucking over world and dog.

Castanova

Prophet
Unfortunately, thanks to Oblivion, it'll be at least a decade before Bethesda folds. And I'm sure Todd will be gone by then, leaving some poor new guy to get blamed for it by clueless executives.

taxacaria

Scholar
Castanova said:
Unfortunately, thanks to Oblivion, it'll be at least a decade before Bethesda folds.

But now they have to deal with bad reputation, outraged fans and suspicious customers.
ST:Legacy was their second coup already - I don't believe they can repeat their evil xbox tricks a third time. The Fallout communities are well prepared and not easy to handle - and BOS has shown that such craps has no audience. Furthermore Beth has no Fallout fanbase,
and blacklisting of fanpages doesn't make anything better.

MacBone

Scholar
Darkflame said:
Source code
The modding community found numerous examples of very sloppy coding within the Legacy files, including a number of bizarre inclusions such as a photograph of a developer with his pet goats [7].
Pet goats, eh? Somehow, I don't think that was unintentional.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Not a fan and they all looked extremely retarded.

I am a big fan, but even to me every one of them has looked horrible. Part of that is that most of them are next generation games, and the retardedness seems to increase with each successive spinoff.

Limorkil

Liturgist
I wish I could score chicks like Harrison Ford, and that ain't happening either.

Harrison Ford is a chick? You're a sick, sick person. No wonder you play dumb Star Trek games.

whitemithrandir said:
No. I'm not trying to be dramatic. I'm not trying to exaggerate. I seriously think Star Trek: Legacy is the worst game ever, on the magnitude of Big Rig and fucking Superman 64. Surely it can't be THIS bad, you say. Oh my fucking god, you have no idea. You have no idea at all.

I have somewhat of an idea. I played a friend's copy of Legacy on his 360(an hour of my life I'll never get back) and let me tell you--your rant mirrors my own issues with this game.
Let me just add that the controls were clunky and the camera was horrendous. On the controller you had to hit the L or R triggers to aquire targets. But you had to keep hitting the triggers because--like you mentioned--you would lose your target. This was frustrating because, for example, a Romulan ship would be bearing down on me and I would keep hitting the trigger buttons until it would target the ship...and not the friendly repair station off in the distance. Annoying.
While it was smooth to control the speed of your ship, steering it with the joystick was awful and clunky.
And there were not any save points/checkpoints for missions. Once your "armada" was destroyed, you had to start the whole mission over. And alot of the missions involved multiple objectives--so if you died near the end of a mission after accomplishing several objectives you felt like throwing the controller out the window.
The saddest part is that my friend payed 60 bucks for this piece of crap. I told him that he should give it to somebody he REALLY dislikes.

rei1974

Scholar
And there were not any save points/checkpoints for missions. Once your "armada" was destroyed, you had to start the whole mission over. And alot of the missions involved multiple objectives--so if you died near the end of a mission after accomplishing several objectives you felt like throwing the controller out the window.
WHAT!?!?! hahah OMG no, it can't be so badly designed!!! :roll:

nikpalj

Novice
"Not a fan and they all looked extremely retarded."

"I am a big fan, but even to me every one of them has looked horrible. Part of that is that most of them are next generation games, and the retardedness seems to increase with each successive spinoff."

I'm also a big fan (specially of tng), I've played through a lot of Star Trek games from '97 and I would definitely in no way agree that *each and every one* of them looked horrible or was retarded, what the hell are you talking about?!

Bridge Commander has a decent story and is very close to Trek space combat as seen on tv, Armada is a very well made and fun rts (was fantastic back in it's own time), Birth of the Federation is even today a great piece of Cx4 gaming with a small but thriving fan base and Elite Force 2 is in my opinion actually a very good fps.

And then, as always - there are the mods to consider...

Bridge Commander has it's utterly fantastic Kobayashi Maru mod, (unfairly forgotten) Birth of the Federation it's wonderful Ultimate Dominion 2 mod (as well as several other very good ones), hell - even the oversimplified Starfleet Command 3 looks and plays *much* better with Generations at War, Dominion Wars or the TNG Mega Mod installed.

Man, even if I *wasn't* a fan I'd think twice before casually writing off any one of these games as horrible or retarded!!! One should at least try playing some of these mods before posting such a harsh judgement...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom