Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Trek: Legacy is the worst game ever.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
No. I'm not trying to be dramatic. I'm not trying to exaggerate. I seriously think Star Trek: Legacy is the worst game ever, on the magnitude of Big Rig and fucking Superman 64. Surely it can't be THIS bad, you say. Oh my fucking god, you have no idea. You have no idea at all.

So it's a game where you get to control a ship - or rather, an "armada" of 4 ships - to attack shit, usually Romulans. You use WASD to move the ship and left click to fire phaers or right click to fire torpedoes.

... and, that's it.

No really, that's it. Every single combat encounter involves left clicking and right clicking, while furiously smashing "f" over your target . (F = point my ship in this direction.) It doesn't stick. You can't tell it to follow a target. You have to press F again AS SOON AS YOUR TARGET MOVES or your ship won't respond. So... unless you're shooting at a rock, be ready to mash F like a fucking coked up horny squirrel on PMS.

The alternative is to use WASD to manually orient your ship, to which I say, good fucking luck, because thanks to the weird-ass camera (of which they forgot to implement a "zoom" function so you're stuck to the same fucking view 5 inches away from your ship), you'll probably just ram straight into an asteroid or something. Which is, incidently, fine, because apparently you can't take collision damage. You will bounce harmlessly off of that enemy ship you just rammed head on. OMG NEXT GEN PHYSICS!

So, every combat goes like this: space bar (select random enemy), f f f f f f f f f f f f left click left click left click f f f f f f f f f f left click right click f f f f f f f f f f f f ctrl alt delete and fuck this shit.

There is no strategy involved. All that micromanagement with shields and power turning and boarding action that were featured in games like Starfleet Command? GONE. You have two ways to achieve victory in every battle: left click, and right click. THAT'S IT.

Then, there are other things that don't make a lick of sense. For example, damage registration is all kinds of fucked up. Parts get blown off your ship and float into space, except... they're still on your ship. What got blown into space is apparently a CLONE of whatever got shot. It's not unusual to see 6 nancells flowing in space, which is somewhat strange, because YOUR SHIP ONLY HAS 2.

Well, at least this time you get to control 4 ships. You can make some strategy out of that, right? It sounds like combat could really get tactical like positioning and stuff, right? Well, I mean, yeah, I guess you can, IF YOU COULD FUCKING ISSUE ORDERS TO THE OTHER 3 SHIPS. Sure, you can control each ship individually, but while you're controlling one ship, the other three goes into braindead mode. They will sit there, floating, dead in space, watching you get your ass handed to you by Romulan gangbangers. The alternative, of course, is turning on the "Coked up retard mode", which tells your AI ships to fend for themselves. This makes them go all over the fucking place shooting random things and chasing enemy ships STRAIGHT to the middle of nowhere. You wish that the developers would have had enough brains to make more fine tuning controls, like choosing targets for the AI ships, or changing the AI aggressiveness, or at the very least, a "Form up on me" command. Yeah, well, I wish I could score chicks like Harrison Ford, and that ain't happening either.

At least there are a lot of ships to choose from, which is great, because every ship is different and you can customize your own custom loadout and pick your crew for each ship like the website said you can, 2 fucking days before release, right?

Haha just kidding. You can't customize shit. All the ships play exactly the same and the only difference is the way they look. Yes, that's right. A Defiance class destroyer will fly at the same speed as a fucking galaxy class battleship. No, you can't customize the load out. You can't pick the crew. You can only pick the skin, and various flavors of boredom.(How nice of Bethesda to update their websit to pull these two features off their front page A FUCKING DAY AFTER RELEASE, by the way. Thanks guys, way to be on top of things.)

Well, I guess as long as the campaign is fun and interesting I could forgive the mindless gameplay mechanics, right? Oh, you want me to go on a "mission"? Save some Vulcans? Sweet! Cool!. Oh noes, incoming wave of Romulan bitches! Fight fight fight. Oh no, they have reinforcements! Fight fight fight. Oh no! More Romulans! Fight fight fight. Holy shit, how many of these motherfuckers are there? Fight fight fight. Fight fight fight. Fight fight fight. Sir! Incoming warp signature! OH NO! MORE ROMULANS! FUCK YOU I QUIT.

Hey, at least the multiplayer is competitive and satisfying. All you have to do is click on multiplayer, click on internet, get on this chat lobby, and hmm... where's the join game or create game buttom? Hmm... Hmm... Hmm... Wait, I'm sure it's gotta be here somewhere. Can it be possible that THERE IS NO FUCKING MULTIPLAYER!!! and that all there is is this chatroom where people bitch about the game? Let me log onto their forums and... ooh, it's a bug. Whoops.

Don't worry though, Bethesda said they'd patch it, so I'm being fairly optimistic here. After all, they got rid of the level scaling thing and CTD bugs in Oblivion fixed real fast...

...oh wait.

AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT MOVING THIS THREAD INTO General Strategy Gaming. ST: Legacy isn't anything CLOSE to a strategy game. Feel free to make a sub forum called "User reviews for steaming piles of shit", and move it there instead, though.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Nice rant. Star Trek games are always crap. They should make an adventure, anything Star Trek plus combat is deemed to suck. Ah, yes. Adventures are dead. Braindead games rule.

Texas Red

Whiner
Cthulhu said:
Nice rant. Star Trek games are always crap. They should make an adventure, anything Star Trek plus combat is deemed to suck. Ah, yes. Adventures are dead. Braindead games rule.

It doesnt matter if it sucks or not. Its released on the holidays and its Star Wars. No doubt it will sell more than NWN 2 or G3.

Shoelip

Arbiter
This was a fun read, maybe I'll take a look at the website to see just what kind of crap they're spewing this time.

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
Yeah, I have to admit. It is total crap. Plus I think the Romulan ships are spawning out of Nowhere also. Mad Doc Software should be ashamed of this junk.

LCJr.

Erudite
Cthulhu said:

Starfleet Command 1 and 2/OP are pretty good especially if you're a SFB fan. SFC3 however got the retard treatment.

Apparently you're all morons.

To be fair, a LOT of the problems with the game are not actual problems. They are people not knowing how to do things correctly.

There 'ya go.

And those banking on Bethesda to correct problems with their games is sorta like Christians waiting for Rapture.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I guess that you're trying to say that it's not even as good as Starfleet Command 1 & 2 then, eh?

1 & 2 weren't too terribly bad, as
a) they weren't dumbed down all that much
and more importantly
b) they were based off of Starfleet Battles tabletop game, which is one of my favorite tabletops along with Harpoon.

Using realtime for them sucked though...

obediah

Erudite
The old Star Trek games were great. Fly around, torpedo klingons, adjust your shields and dock with space stations. Sure the bar was lower then, but it was good fun.

Cycloptis

Scholar
Cthulhu said:

Surely you must be aware of 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites? Both point/click adventures based off of the original series.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Cycloptis said:
Cthulhu said:

Surely you must be aware of 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites? Both point/click adventures based off of the original series.
Trust me. They weren't all that great.

Simon-Schuster also did, two IIRC, text adventure games for Star Trek with the original series setting. Some of the character responses were pretty good. That said, they were OK as adventures, or IOW nothing spectacular/classic like all of these damnably sci-fi space opera money grabs.

Yes, and now that I'm thinking of it, SSI also did some graphical (8bit) games that were very similar to Starfleet Command games, although they didn't have a Star Trek license, so they had to use other cheesey names. And, there were a few text based games, again w/o license, but VERY similar to the old text Star Trek games. The ones where the Enterprise is E, Klingons k, Romulans R, etc. Plus what about nettrek?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Actually, that sounds fun. Where can I download the free version?

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Cycloptis said:

Well, I know 25th Anniversary from some abandonware sites. Never got interested. It's probably good. Judgement Rites looks OK too.

I actually played Generations. As far as I can remember, it's a mess. Think strategy screen with sudden first player shooter switch. And bad gameplay. Maybe a game with little combat would be OK, but combat-directed games suck. How often do you see frenetic fights in Star Trek?

Psilon

Erudite
A Final Unity was by and large a pretty decent adventure game, and probably the only playable TNG game. The Morassia section was boring as hell, but the rest of the game was generally good.

psycojester

Arbiter
Bethesda really don't understand testing do they.

This sounds almost as bad as when i bought call of Cthullu, best money i ever spent on an .exe that would on command open up a blank grey screen and do nothing.

The majority of the gameplay was trying to trick the game into running on my computer

Seboss

Liturgist
psycojester said:
This sounds almost as bad as when i bought call of Cthullu, best money i ever spent on an .exe that would on command open up a blank grey screen and do nothing.
I am one of the few lucky people who could play Dark Corner of the Earth without any problem. I think it is a very good game.

This Star Trek game seems to have horrible design which is beyond QA testing or patching and that's a whole different problem.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Old text Star Trek games and source. (Mostly in basic, some in C) These are the old 9x9 IIRC grid "star trek" games, where the Enterprise is represented by an E, etc.

I know that I am not describing the game well, to here is a wikipedia link, compete with a screenshot.

Here is the other one that I was looking for. It's very much like the above, but a little more complex.

[EDIT]
For the starfleet games themselves, there is a link on that page to HotU entries for those games. The article is only a stub, with very little info on them.
[/EDIT]

Shoelip

Arbiter
My dad used to play a multi-player star trek combat game. He said it was really frustraiting because he had to wait for the ascii maps to print up every time he took an action and if the other player had a monitor they would always win.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DCotE was fucking awesome. I played it on Xbox though, never tried the PC version. I absolutely adored it, especially the voice-acting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom