Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SoW UI Screenshots

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Thought you guys might like to see some screens of the gui. WIP obviously. Also, important, DO NOT look too hard at the icons, they are VERY temporary. In the inventory shot you can see some of the new icons (3D renders), but the rest are butt ugly. Staring at them too long could cause blindness. You've been warned.

HUD(quickbar and health/mana/stamina widget)

Stats screen.

Skills and Traits screen.

Before you ask, that small row of buttons above the inventory panel is for filters. Some of those icons aren't particularly related to the filter types, I just used what was the best fit of the ones I had. Yes, that is a banana. It was the closest thing to "Consumables".

Inventory screen.

This one is more of a WIP than the others. The background image is temporary, but you can see the SoW logo that I came up with. The whole thing still needs lovin', but you can see the concept.

The Title Screen

Section8

Cipher
Works for me, looks simple and functional but not ugly. Couple of questions:

Your stat system looks very much like D&D, but with Dex and Wis renamed to better reflect their purpose. Not a bad thing by a long shot, but will it function in pretty much the same way in terms of ability modifiers and such?

Also, I'm assuming Dodge Rating and Armour Rating are a better abstraction of AC, where the distinction is made between dodging blows and taking them. Does armour completely negate damage or simply soak a portion of it? Can armour itself be damaged? Are shields lumped in with armour, or are they treated differently?

Are there any limitations to the inventory? Carry weight? Finite slots?

On the whole it looks pretty impressive. Got a tentative release window yet? Think you'll beat Age of Decadence to gold master? :lol:

cardtrick

Arbiter
Nice! It looks very clean and usable, definitely doesn't scream indie. It doesn't have the artistic merit of Eilhom's GUI for AoD, but it looks damn good considering that you're doing everything yourself. Nothing aesthetic leaps out as needing to be changed except the icons that you mentioned (and the font, which I assume is a placeholder), and I assume you'll be doing fine-tuning later on, so I'll wait before any detailed comments.

Quick question about the inventory screen: how do you get more detailed information about an item in your inventory? Do you click on it, and a pop-up box appears? Have you considered rearranging things to have a text box always visible in the inventory screen? I really like it when games do this. I think you could do it by aligning the row of filters to the left side of the inventory box, moving both the filters and the box up, eliminating one row of slots from the box, then placing the text box on the lower right side of the screen where the bottom of the inventory box is now. (If you can't make sense out of what I just said, I could work something up in Photoshop.)

The text box would display information about an item whenever your mouse hovered over it, and when your mouse wasn't over an item it would display certain information that is also in your Stats screen, but which would be useful to have access to when choosing your equipment: attack, armor, and doge ratings, weapon damage, speed, and range, carrying capacity, etc.

That just seems more ergonomic. I prefer not to have to open pop-up windows to look at items, although it's not a big deal, but I really don't like having to switch back and forth between a Stats menu and an inventory menu (one of the nicer things about NWN's GUI was the ability to open the character window and the inventory window simultaneously).

EDIT: I mean like http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sowmockuphn2.jpg.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention, I really like the silhouette as a paper doll. I don't know if you just intended that as a placeholder or if it's there for real, but I like the look of it and I hope you keep it or something similar.

aboyd

Liturgist
I like it. The 3D quality is maybe NWN level, which is fine for me. The interface is of similar quality to AoD before the GUI revision. Although the new screencaps for AoD are visibly better in my opinion, the old ones worked just fine for me too (and if you had asked me back then how to revise them, I would have said "uh, change colors maybe?"). So I think I'm very comfortable with basic, simple GUIs. If it's clean and readable, I feel it is competent. And that's what I see here -- very usable. So I would be happy with a game released just like these screenshots, with no extra work. Of course, that assumes that the content is in place.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I have to say that I'm kinda proud of the Codex at this moment. A couple weeks ago there was a topic somewhere -- maybe Bioware forums, I think -- where they were trashing the Codex for being blowhards who could never be satisfied. I defended the place based mostly on AoD, saying that Codex members were at least building games rather than just sitting back and complaining. A few days later I learned that someone else here built a pretty good mod for NWN or another moddable RPG. Now this. It's excellent to see that the people who complain about the poor quality of current games are willing to do something about it.

And I intend to buy these games at least to be supportive, but hopefully also there is something to the standards maintained here at the Codex. Hopefully these games will in fact have good gameplay, good writing, and sensible worlds.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@ Cardtrick : Good points. At the moment an info panel pops up when you right click on the item, but rearranging things is simple enough. I do something similar with the skills screen, when you move your mouse over a skill it shows details in the text box. I could achieve the same effect pretty easily here. And I agree that it would be worth doing. Look for it in future screens ;) (I like the idea of swapping in general character info when your mouse isn't over an item too.)

The silhouette is permanent for now. I've toyed with the idea of having a 3D model there, but it will take a bit of work to get it displaying your character with appropriate gear and since this works fine I'm not sure the time is justified. So that idea is on the "maybe, if I get time, once more important things are done".

(For anyone who knows Torque, that is the silhouette of Adam. I'm in the process of mutating him into a character appropriate for an RPG. Female characters will get a more feminine Ava silhoutte.)

@ Section8 : Mmm, some aspects are similar to DnD, yes. Stats do give modifiers to skills (and certain other things like health and stamina). But it works more like DnD if everything was based on the skills table, without class limitations, and different skills cost different amounts of skill points.

Yes, you guessed correctly about the dodge/armor seperation. When you hit an enemy, your attack ratingl (+ a random number) is compared to his dodge rating. The difference determines how well you hit him. There are more levels to "how well you hit" than in a lot of RPGs. This is the basic calculation, but it is still being balanced so don't take it as gospel.

1-100 + Attack – Dodge.

Outcome determines hit category :

1-5 = Critical Fumble, 100% chance Impediment applied, 0 damage. (5%)
6-10 = Minor Hit, 1 damage, 50% chance Impediment applied (5%)
11-30 = Glancing Hit, half damage. (20%)
31-60 = Normal Hit, full damage (30%)
61-80 = Good Hit, 1.5 x damage, small chance of crit effect (20%)
81-90 = Telling blow, 2 x damage, small chance of crit effect (10%)
91-95 = grievous wound, 3x damage, 50% chance of crit effect (5%)
96-100 = near-fatal wound, 4x damage, 100% chance of crit effect (5%)

Body hit point chance :

50% torso
25% legs
20% arms
5% head

Once the damage value is calculated, your armor absorbs a portion of that value, based on the armor rating of the piece of armor on the body part where you were hit. The location where you were hit would also affect which crit effect would be applied if you scored one. For instance a critical hit to the legs might slow movement, to the arms might apply attack penalties, to the head might apply a short stun.

(BTW, when an enemy is unaware of you, his dodge rating counts as 0, which gives you a good chance of doing high damage and criting, without some sort of artificial "backstab" rule.)

Armor does take damage and will need to be repaired.

Shields are different, but I haven't finalised the exact details of them yet. The main reason is technical. I will need to look at calculating facing angles in battle and suchlike. At the moment the idea is as follows. If you are actively blocking, and the enemy hits from the front, The chance that it hits the shield is based on your block skill and the "coverage" of the shield. If you block, the shield absorbs most of the damage, and negates crit effects.

Inventory is limited by weight, but I haven't implemented it properly yet, thats why you don't see any value. Items do have weight, and I am keeping track of the total, I just haven't applied the penalty to the player yet.

Lol, I shall have to say "When its done at." At this point. Doubt I'll beat out AoD, but seeing how far they have gotten does motivate me to work harder ;)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Very clean and functional. Maybe dirtying the textures up and adding a little noise would make it look even better, but its pretty good.

Sodomy

Scholar
Section8 said:
Your stat system looks very much like D&D, but with Dex and Wis renamed to better reflect their purpose. Not a bad thing by a long shot, but will it function in pretty much the same way in terms of ability modifiers and such?
Actually, the stats remind me of something else...

Strength
Perception
Endurance
Charisma
Intellect
Agility

Hmm... where have I seen that before? :lol:

The skill implementation does look like D&D, though.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Hehe, yes, I also took some inspiration from Fallout :D . Although I have never liked a Luck statistic in RPGs, so that got ditched.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Hmm, well I can't give you bloom, but I can offer a poor mans alternative. Simply get up from your computer and go stare into the sun for a few minutes. Now, when you come back, there will be all these glowey spots in your vision, sorta like bloom!!! Either that, or you'll be blind.

;)

John Yossarian

Magister
Do you plan on having different attack types(quick, strong)? It might not work well in realtime, but maybe you got a clever way of putting it in.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Yes, different attack types are in (I hate it when warriors have just one basic attack which they repeat). Basically, at the top level, there are "special abilities". Spells are a sub-class of special ability. So are special attacks. And combat stances. Certain stances will increase your attack speed but leave you easier to hit, etc. I'll go into more detail in another thread.

Mr.Rocco

Novice
Looks great and even more impressive that it's a one-man effort. Are you planning to bring more people into it later on or is it still one-man job all the way through?

Atrokkus

Erudite
wait, is the combat system something akin to Morrowind's? I'll pass then.

realy, why first/third person? it's much less resource-heavy to make an overhead / semiiso view game...

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
@ Mr Rocco : Thanks :)

At the moment I have no plans to acquire a team. I might get some contractors for some of the art though.

realy, why first/third person? it's much less resource-heavy to make an overhead / semiiso view game...

You are mistaken friend. It has far more to do with how you set up your art resources than the viewpoint.

And the reason is simple. I personally prefer that view. And I'm making the game. So...*shrug*

It's not quite like Morrowind. Read above posts to see some of the differences in the combat system. I'm sorry that the viewpoint alone is enough to drive you away, maybe when the demo comes out give it a try to see if there is anything that strikes your fancy?

Nedrah

Erudite
I really like what I'm seeing. Great work so far, it's pretty encouraging for me as a player that there are still some people fighting the good fight when all we get from mainstream is crap.

Quick question, though:
Will there be any kind of npcs roaming the streets in the final version, or will the towns be completely empty visually, kind of like ghost towns?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Well no, it probably wont drive me away. Combat for me is not as important as more roleplaying-heavy aspects, but still, an annoying (to each it's different of course) combat system deters from the gameplay a lot.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Well no, it probably wont drive me away. Combat for me is not as important as more roleplaying-heavy aspects, but still, an annoying (to each it's different of course) combat system deters from the gameplay a lot.

Good to hear. :)

@ Nedrah : Thanks man. And yes, there will be plenty of npcs roaming the streets in the final version. The reason everything looks empty now is because I'm currently working on the character models. I'd prefer not to show half finished art assets ;) Once they're in a decent state, expect updated screenshots. And dialogue screenshots!

@ Woetohice : Thanks. Unfortunately, no. There is still a lot to do. I've finished most of the code work, I'm currently in the creating art and implementing content phase. While that means release is still a good way off, it also means that a large part of the "boring gruntwork" is done from my side, this is the fun part for me as a developer, implementing my creative ideas. And I will be giving you guys regular updates of the progress. :)

Nedrah

Erudite
Naked Ninja said:
@ Nedrah : Thanks man. And yes, there will be plenty of npcs roaming the streets in the final version. The reason everything looks empty now is because I'm currently working on the character models. I'd prefer not to show half finished art assets ;) Once they're in a decent state, expect updated screenshots. And dialogue screenshots!

Good to hear. Didn't want to put to much emphasis on it in my question but I don't like 3d areas that don't implement at least abstract representations of things you'd expect to see in real life. No problem in 2d, actually. If you ever are in doubt about certain design aspects and want some oppinions (yes, like assholes, everyone has one), I think VD has some pretty good experiences from asking for some codex-input. Also I think there are a few guys here who can come up with pretty neat text/lines and concepts.

Spiffor

Novice
Looks pretty good !:)

Small squibble : The HUD has too bright colours for Stamina/Health/Mana. It doesn't fit with the gloomy atmosphere.
Also, the HUD looks a bit generic: it'd be better if the healt/mana/stamina bars were more in the spirit of the game, like they were in Diablo, or even Arcanum. That's good for immershun :P
(honestly, the Arcanum and Fallout GUIs were great, not only because they were well drawn, but were representative of the game's spirit overall)

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Thanks for the feedback. For the guis I was aiming for a sort of "faded glory" look, ornate workings such as you'd see on a sword scabbard but a bit worn and beat up. Kind of like your character and the setting. The war has taken it's toll on both people and kingdoms.

But yes, it may need some refinement. I work iteratively, so in this pass I was working out the colour theme (metallic grey with gold ornate workings) and layout.

I'm wary of putting too much art on the main HUD as I'm a fan of minimalist UIs (don't like much between the world and me, immershun and all that ;) ). However the char screens may see future enhancements. ;)

Durwyn

Prophet
Look's nice... it has slightly Might & Magic, nostalgic feel, which imo is good... Fight's TB or RT? I don't recall any info about this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom