Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soulbringer

Saran

Scholar
After months (if not years) of fruitless searching in a number of local and not so local game stores i decided to finally order Planescape: Torment online.

However i noticed that it came along with a free game called Soulbringer, i didnt think much of it until just now when i googled it and came up with the following article:

http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=soulb

As you can see the reviewer compared it to fallout and diablo, which both cheers me up and worrys me at the same time.

So i was wondering, have any of you lads played it?

If so, what is it like, if any of you read my longwinded post on how important endings are in games you will have no doubt realised by now that i concider the storyline to be the most important factor in my enjoyment of a game, and while i realise that the avault article paints it as just another rehash of the regular "STOP EVIL BEFORE IT DESTROYS THE WORLD!" story that is common amongst fantasy titles, perhaps it is told in an interesting way.

I know that i shouldnt look a gift horse in the mouth, but im considering uninstalling R:TW for it and while im starting to get out from its heroin like addictivness i will probably want to continue on my parthian campaign at a later date.

So, Stereotype with interesting doodads or a diablo hack n' slash clone that will bore me too tears?

Or a something in between, like the IWD series that i liked a lot?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It's bad. Real bad. The combat system is made out of combo systems and the graphics are not only PSX blurry, but look like bad lego sets suspended in space (You can see the black where the map ends). It also runs pretty slow, taking about 5 secods for a pop-up menu to appear. GAH! Tell you the truth, I really wanted to like it, but i just couldn't. It was that bad. But on the flip side, you do get to own your own castle later in the game, which is pretty cool. But other than that, the game is utter shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It had some good quality stuff in it; but ultimately I just didn't feel like playing it anymore. Not horrible; just not fun..

Sarvis

Erudite
I just tried this out the other day, for the same reason basically. I got to the first fight before I decided that the game sucked... so there ye go. ;)

Saran

Scholar
Hmmm, so its pretty much "Meh" incarnate then?

It looks as if R:TW will remain on my hard drive for a while yet, at least until i pick up a copy of Act Of War, so far it looks as if its going to be the fun, no-brainer experience C&C Generals was meant to be.

Thanks for the help lads, as for Soulbringer, well, i guess ill give it to my younger brother, when it comes to games he has pretty much the same tastes as me, that way if it really is bad itll be his time thats wasted, not mine! :twisted:

Selenti

Liturgist
DrattedTin likes doritos.

I liked it a lot.

Very interesting world, some good writing, a magic system I found very intriguing, but unfortunately terrible camera and controls and mediocre combat. The latter seems to keep most people away.

Saran

Scholar
Selenti said:
I liked it a lot.

Very interesting world, some good writing, a magic system I found very intriguing, but unfortunately terrible camera and controls and mediocre combat. The latter seems to keep most people away.

Ahhh, now thats what i was really interested in, the setting and storyline of the game, while ill still probably let my brother have a go first while i play Planescape:Torment, i just might give it a try if he gives the thumbs up.

Even if it only turns out to be a mediocre game, so be it, its not as if i paid anything for it.

LlamaGod

Cipher
The game motherfucking sucks and that's all I need to say because thats all it is.

Selenti

Liturgist
DrattedTin hates budget games.

LlamaGod said:
The game motherfucking sucks and that's all I need to say because thats all it is.

Likewise. This post satirizes itself.

I just bought PS:T from the amazon marketplace. I have not popped it in yet. They never mentioned a bonus game: Soulbringer. I was wondering, is Soulbringer was worth eating up hard drive space or does it make a nice game of frisbee?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I was in the same spot as you when I got my copy of PS:T. Basically, I plugged it in knowing nothing about the game (other then it was just icing on the cake after nabbing PS:T for $10), and stopped playing after 20 minutes when my character died. Its an action game with RPG trappings. I production values were pretty dated and I just didn't seem to have any compulsion to continue. Not when I didn't have a tutorial to explain the game to me.

Wulfgar

Scholar
Ah yes... "Soulbringer". Meeeeemorieeees... :)

I loved it. Finished it. But then again, I played it before discovering Fallout and IE games... a year or two ago I tried playing it again. Didn't get very far. :(

To describe it quickly - it's an action RPG, but it's not a Diablo clone.

It has a gloomy atmosphere. Evil plagues the land and all that stuff, but you don't really know everything from the start. Maybe it's just about me being younger and relatively new to computer games, but I really liked the story. It starts off slow, not just the story - the entire game. The first part of it (village where you start and the area around it) is somewhat unremarkable compared to the rest of the game, or at least that's how I remember it. It picks up a bit later on and continues building up until the end of the game. Considering what type of game this is, the ending was also pretty cool.
The melee combat system was interesting. At least in a way that I haven't seen anything quite like it before or after. Whether someone else would feel that way about it is subject to personal tastes.
Magic is strong, altough using it is a bit unwieldy. I played a somewhat balanced fighter-mage build and couldn't make it at the end without relying on it heavily. Howerer, if you plan on using magic be prepared to explore every nook and cranie in the gameworld, because magic comes from combining books and the appropriate runes that need to be found first.
The dialogues are scarce and generally nothing inspiring, altough there is a decent bad guy short monologue at the very end and some bits of lore about the land spoken by various characters in the game that do a decent job of pulling you in a bit in the gameworld. Nothing fancy, just so you know what the hell you're doing and why. This game is about combat, not diplomacy so don't expect anything in that direction. Also, PC's voice is a bit faggy and irritating.
As far as graphics go, I guess it's horrible compared to todays standards. Not a whole lot of options to tweak it either. Resolution is also locked, if I'm not mistaken?
The game is fairly linear. The most you get is the option where to go first which can even land you somwhere you're not equiped to survive... and sometimes even without the option of retreating. :twisted:
All in all, for me it was fucking great. :D But I repeat, I was younger then (16-17) and much more of a impressionable moron (computer games and otherwise) than now so take my opinions of the game with a grain of salt. You're probably better off not wasting your time...

LCJr.

Erudite
It was bundled with a game that would actually sell to free up warehouse space.

Gambler

Augur
Please be warned that P:T that is bundled with soulbringer is a cut bersion without most of the movies. The game is still great (in fact, it was the version I played as well), but 4-cd version should be even better. But it is hard to find. I spent $65 (including shipping) to get an unopened mint version.

sabishii

Arbiter
Gambler said:
Please be warned that P:T that is bundled with soulbringer is a cut bersion without most of the movies. The game is still great (in fact, it was the version I played as well), but 4-cd version should be even better. But it is hard to find. I spent $65 (including shipping) to get an unopened mint version.
REALLY? I remember seeing quite a few movies in the 2 CD version... what did I miss?

LCJr.

Erudite
I've never heard this either. The only comments I've seen is that they were able to go from 4 to 2 cd's because they realized they could actually compress the files.

Also the 2CD version is already patched so don't try to patch it or it will royally screw things up. The patch is for the 4CD version only.

Dark Helmet

Novice
I started gaming pretty late, so I missed out on PST... and I saw this boxed set including it and SoulBringer (this one ). Never heard of SoulBringer... would it be smarter to look for a copy of PST on its own (might be cheaper than the $49.90 GoGamer's asking for the bundle), or get the combo pack thing?

Thought I'd ask the RPG experts before doing some independant research; thanks in advance! :cool:

Fez

Erudite
How much does PST go for on eBay nowadays? I can remember it selling for a lot more than that. The budget release did give a good kick in the teeth to them at the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom