Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soulbringer

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Heh, I made a thread just like this one and Nameless Prick's when I got the same set.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Planescape Torment
The Planescape "multiverse" is the setting for the game, but setting is actually a misnomer... the Planescape multiverse is actually composed of a series of "planes" that rotate around a central city, Sigil, like spokes on a wheel.

The city of Sigil is the central fixture of the Planescape multiverse. Also called the "Cage" or the "City of Doors", it's unique in that scattered throughout its labyrinth of streets are portals that lead to anywhere in existence, provided you hold the proper key.

It is neutral ground and watering hole for races and creatures from across the multiverse, all under the watchful eye of the Lady of Pain, the enigmatic ruler of the city.

The world of Planescape is a more adult, hard-core fantasy setting compared to other AD&D worlds.

The architecture, the people, the creatures... everything has an edge to it. Belief, emotions, faith, and other abstract concepts actually make their presence felt in reality.

In the Planescape multiverse, belief has the power to reshape worlds, kill and resurrect beings, and change the laws of physics.

Where's the incredible dialog? Where are the comments on the fantastic plot or originality. This guy is reviewing the planscape setting, not the game.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
sabishii said:
Gambler said:
Please be warned that P:T that is bundled with soulbringer is a cut bersion without most of the movies. The game is still great (in fact, it was the version I played as well), but 4-cd version should be even better. But it is hard to find. I spent $65 (including shipping) to get an unopened mint version.
REALLY? I remember seeing quite a few movies in the 2 CD version... what did I miss?

I bought the 2 CD version for my sister and it was missing a few notable things, like a lot of Morte's sound bites.

sabishii said:
Gambler said:
Please be warned that P:T that is bundled with soulbringer is a cut bersion without most of the movies. The game is still great (in fact, it was the version I played as well), but 4-cd version should be even better. But it is hard to find. I spent $65 (including shipping) to get an unopened mint version.
REALLY? I remember seeing quite a few movies in the 2 CD version... what did I miss?

S'cuse me for bumping this, but I really put my doubt on the cut movie sequences (or any other cut content, by the way). I used to own the game in Germon, but sold it after completing. Got this PS:T/Soulbringer package from someone out of the US last year though. I wouldn't swear by my life on it, as it's really been some years in between those playthroughs, but this package didn't seem to miss out on anything, definitely not in the video sequence department. They're all there: The small clips that play whenever you enter a new area, the spells, credit sequences, and cut-scenes that seem to be realized with in-game content, but for some reason were saved on the discs as movie files regardless (SPOILER: Like Pharod's death scene).

As far as I know, the compression technology for the artwork was improved drastically in the years that passed between BG and BG2/IWD2, I remember having read a news bit going a little into that on either BI's or Bio's site. Remember that the first IE game shipped on a whopping five discs, for instance, and that PS:T was the second game to appear onto the shelves, months before the first Icewind Dale even. Does anybody know more?

Lumpy

Arcane
I downloaded the 2 CD version, and it has all the movies. The only strange thing I noticed was that in my 2 and a half playthroughs, I only got 1, maybe 2 party banters. I read the rest outside the game.

Korgan

Arbiter
Necro'd. I was stuck with an antique PC this summer and dug up an old pirated CD of this once I got tired of BG2 mods. Trust me, it's a great game. Not really based on anything, not made with any game design rules in mind, hardly an RPG (more of an action/adventure with stats and a nice combat system) but great notheless. The atmosphere's truly awesome - not just generic Ravenloft-ish gothic but an endless winter night in which anything can happen. Remember that thread some months ago where people moaned about how cool high fantasy used to be in the 80s and the old 90s? Well, Soulbringer is utterly cool in this regard. Demons and undead that don't feel horribly bland, shadowy organisations to wrestle the last bits of magic in the world from, huge ruins and dungeons to explore... Actually, this is an annoying trait: everything is HUGE (and mostly empty) and there are no maps at all - getting lost is really easy. So what of it. Definitely worth taking a shot at, all in all.

Hory

Erudite
Atmosphere was definitely its strong point, but not very memorable gameplay-wise.

Korgan

Arbiter
So? If it feels like a generic old hack n slash, give it a dozen hours or so (to complete chapter 1 - it's BIG) and you'll see just how good a generic old hack n slash can be. It's like ADOM in some regards - long and captivating without being over-ambitious or trying to feel "epic"; rewarding players who look around and explore but not going out of its way to appear "cool"; goes well with Blind Guardian.

A user named cat

Shagnak said:
$30+ last I saw.

Bullshit edit: oops. That was amazon I think.
I checked on Amazon marketplace and the cheapest someone was selling it for was $59.99, and not even in mint condition. That's crazy. I still have the original 4 disc version, complete manual and box in perfect condition. Should just sell it, a few play throughs was enough.

SkeleTony

Augur
I got the PS:T + Soulbringer bundle for like $5 when they first came out. Soulbringer is a crappy, boring action game.

Unwanted

AndhairaIV

Unwanted
The gamne had great atmospehere, but for some reasn I never got into it. Too much actiony. ALso the graphix were sucky (usually doesn'tmatter, but for soulbringer itlooks really bad. Or at least it did, I only playeda bit when it first came out then uninstalled it.Hardrives were fucking small in those days)

Though if you are a gothic fan you might like it, but probably only if you are a diehard gothic fan.

ironyuri

I got Soulbringer in a dual-jewel case special with Planescape: Torment some years ago.

It is touted as "Classic RPG Meets Epic 3D Adventure: You must succeed where the greatest of heroes have failed..."

It is the work of Interplay and Infogrames.

I have never bothered installing it as I only wanted it for Torment and it was the best option on Ebay at the time (2002).

So, Codex, have you played it? If you have, what did you think of it? Is it worth my time?

Andhaira

Arcane
I playe dit. I gave up on it at the time becuase graphics were not so good (though maybe it was y graphics card, who knows).

However, from what I could tell it was a good game. It had EXCELLENT atmosphere, very dark and gothic.

I suggest you give it a shot. Play for a couple of hours and let uys know what you think.

Morkar Left

My experience with the game is exactly the same as Andhairas :oops:

But the graphics weren´t bad for me. It was just too dark. The viewdistance was to small and the background was just black. Another flaw was that you can´t see the equipment / armor on your char. That just doesn´t fit with the rest of the engine.
But everything else was alright. A friend of mine finished it and enjoyed the entire game.

Nex

Cipher
I played it for a little while and I liked it, I have been meaning to finish it. Seems to have a great atmosphere and combat is a little different. I quite like the graphics too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Amusingly I could not find even a let's play Soulbringer on youtube. Apparently it's not even worth of a video LP.

I think you have found your calling ironyuri. You must go forth and provide us a LP thread of this game.

:salute:

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I installed it a couple of times and remember developing a very sharp dislike of the combat system each time. I'd go into more depth but it's been about six years and anything I could say would probably be massively fraudulent.

Past that, I do remember liking the environmental graphics and agree that there was some really good atmosphere there. The draw distance really was abysmally short though. Like, absolutely terrible. Like, "I can't see the bandits standing in the middle of the road fifty feet away," absolutely terrible.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ironyuri said:
Jaesun said:
I think you have found your calling ironyuri. You must go forth and provide us a LP thread of this game.

:salute:

Would that make you love/respect me, Jaesun? Would it?!?

:love:

dude... just do it. Who on the codex would ever care about my love/respect?

Just do it faggot. It has called to you. NO ONE ON EARTH HAS DONE IT YET! You could be a God amongst Men. DO IT.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pros:
+ Gloomy atmosphere
+ Great art design and animations
+ Decent combat system
+ No pre-set classes
+ Somewhat open world (some locations open only along with the storyline)
+ Full and good dubbing

Cons:
- Another fantasy game...
- Boring story
- Annoying controls and camera
- Worn clothes by the player's character are not shown in the game world, even with full mail armour he looks like an unarmoured peasant.

Pretty fun and I love the atmosphere.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Atmosphere is good, first part of game even have illusion of open world. There are some very nice touches like Seculorum -affinity for magic that can become unbalanced towards one element with good and bad effects. Can't remember much now.

Combat is meh, story is passable.

Dunno why, but I finished it. Probably because of that goddamned snow.

jungl

Augur
It hasn't aged well but back in the day I preferred it over planescape torment which was more of a visual novel then a game.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried to run this for hours today with various guides and my own trial & error... to no avail. Seems like new Windows 10 versions completely broke it :(

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
Tried to run this for hours today with various guides and my own trial & error... to no avail. Seems like new Windows 10 versions completely broke it :(

Yes - this one was difficult to get running properly on Windows 10.

The guides out there were not of much use, but eventually I figured it out through trial an error.
I wrote a Windows 10 install guide for myself about a year ago for this game, which I usually do for hard to run games.

This is for the GOG release of the game, but I'm sure the original CD and other releases will work as well.

I put the archive on my Google Drive for anyone who wants it.
It includes the install guide and all of the fix files to get the game running properly on Windows 10.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k-Vw-3m-zdUdiI4d1pezu8_cwJML_BhR/view?usp=sharing

Konjad

Patron
Looking at the files on your drive, i'm pretty sure I already tried all that as I was playing with them too. I'll check the .txt, maybe I did something wrong

Konjad

Patron
Tried to redo everything with your instructions and files, but the result is exactly the same. Oh well

BTW this issue is new. About a year ago I played it with no issues either, but now I cannot. Might be new version of windows not being compatible or some drivers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom