Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some shitty Escapist piece on RPGs

Pastel

Scholar
J1M said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Eh, it's not like the Escapist was ever any good. It pains me that Zero Punctuation is affiliated with it.
Zero Punctuation pains a lot of people who watch it. I also wish it was not on any website.
What game you're a fan of did he attack?

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Pastel said:
J1M said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Eh, it's not like the Escapist was ever any good. It pains me that Zero Punctuation is affiliated with it.
Zero Punctuation pains a lot of people who watch it. I also wish it was not on any website.

Do you have to ask? The Witcher obviously.

Lemunde

Scholar
If you seriously take Zero Punctuation...um...seriously, then you have issues.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Lemunde said:

If you don't believe he gives positive yet nitpicking reviews to games he likes and scathing ones to ones he doesn't, then you are simply retarded.

Lemunde

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
Lemunde said:

If you don't believe he gives positive yet nitpicking reviews to games he likes and scathing ones to ones he doesn't, then you are simply retarded.

I can count on one hand how many positive reviews he's done. And like you said, they're games he likes. If you want a real review you're better off looking somewhere else. Unless you're retarded. :P

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I stopped watching them when they got that stupid theme song. But I found his reviews to be more informative than Gamespot's. And yeah, he doesn't like a lot of games. Deal.

made

Arcane
I never got the fuss about ZP. How is it any different from a random guy's blog in which he rants about games? Except that he talks, like, really fast lol.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I don't like defending people who doesn't need defending, but fuck it. I'm all done with my friends beer and I need to piss.

Jesus Christ Me. Zero Punctuation is humor! And it is reviews. I don't care how you define a "game review" but to me it's "a guy telling me about a game". And Yahtzee is honest too so he's probably the best game journalist reviewer fag ever.

Look, I love The Witcher and I love turn-based combat and all. If I saw Yahtzee on the streets of Australia somewhere I'd steal his hat out of spite. But I can't deny that his review of it was awesome and very, very funny. I'd probably run back after him and give him his hat back. Then we'd makeout in public. There on the streets of Australia. That's how funny he is. He's the only consistently good part of the Escapist and probably definitely brings in a good healthy stream of visitors every tuesday (or whenever the fuck he updates).

Stop taking your shit so fucking seriously. I mean, I love jRPGs but goddamnit they're retarded if you actually stop to think about them for a second.

That said, he should cut out that stupid new jingle because it makes me shit my pants in horror.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I don't want to be rude, but even I sound manlier than that guy. Australians must be the gayest gays in the entire gaycommunity. There should be a new word for the level of gay they bring to the gayosity. It should be "extra-super-special-gay" but spoken in french.

Lemunde

Scholar
Da sea, see iz a dok an ficko moistoiz, an der iz doindier ot evory tun...

DraQ

Arcane
Nael said:
Go back to the fuckin kitchen Susan. No one said you were allowed to play RPGs in the first place.
Now, now. It might not be a popular opinion here on the Codex, but some women are wonderful, charming, intelligent beings.
Some, on the other hand, are not. I don't think that Susan belongs in the kitchen , or anywhere where her frighteningly low attention span could cause a catastrophic failure (like when bringing beer from the fridge).
For her, being nothing more but a penis receptacle is the only sensible option (she should be sterilized, though, to prevent birth of similarly encumbered children).

I mean, long and short mode? What the bloody fuck, woman?

Then again, she does have a point - there is too much of the shit that could be unnoticeably truncated by 75% on the market.

Ashery

Prophet
But now, I got to EB, Best Buy, or whatever, and if a game proudly states anything more than 20 to 30 hours of gameplay, I sigh and die a little inside because I know I will never be able to finish it anymore.

I've never really understood this point of view. You clarified a bit in your later post, but this is the equivalent of never reading a book beyond some arbitrary limit in page count because you won't finish it within a certain timeframe.

I agree that if you put down a game for an extended period and come back to it at a later date you'll forget the vast majority of what was going on/what you were in the process of doing, but since when do longer games require you to take this serveral week or longer break? Playing an hour or so every couple of nights is more than frequent enough to avoid this problem. Sure, it'll take you a couple months or more to finish the game, but if you're having fun playing it, why should that matter?

J1M

Arcane
Pastel said:
J1M said:
Andyman Messiah said:
He's just not funny. He tries too hard. The accent and fast talking was amusing for the first few minutes, but there is no substance beyond that.

Xerxos

Novice
Anthony Davis said:
I actually think she makes a good point that I at least can relate to.

I find that as I get older, my 'free time' gets smaller.

[...]

There just isn't enough time in the day anymore.

But now, I got to EB, Best Buy, or whatever, and if a game proudly states anything more than 20 to 30 hours of gameplay, I sigh and die a little inside because I know I will never be able to finish it anymore.

[...]

I don't understand. Do your games go bad after a week? Do you only play 'iron man' style without save games? Do you have a 'there can only be one'-Highlander style game policy?

What is the problem of playing only a little over many weeks?

Or (god forbid) having multiple games to choose from?

Silellak

Cipher
J1M said:
Pastel said:
J1M said:
Andyman Messiah said:
He's just not funny. He tries too hard. The accent and fast talking was amusing for the first few minutes, but there is no substance beyond that.

Fortunately for him, and for us - his popularity insures another awesome review every week - your opinion is in the minority.

Humor is more subjective than most other things, so I accept that you don't like his kind of humor, but don't throw around crap like "no substance" unless you have anything to back it up with.

When Yahtzee ripped Ctrl-Alt-Del a new one (both on his website and a specific video), he went into detail on why he felt it wasn't funny. You can't just say 'NO SUBSTANCE' without backing it up.

You can, however, just say you don't think it's funny, and walk away.

Pastel

Scholar
His attack on CAD would've been funny if it hadn't already been done by John Solomon.

Silellak

Cipher
Pastel said:
His attack on CAD would've been funny if it hadn't already been done by John Solomon.

Well, the article on his website, actually written long before the video, goes into more detail here:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/archive ... 3-0710.htm

Search on the page for "23/3/08: You Cad", as there is a lot of text.

This is my favorite part:

I'm going to post a link now to a Ctrl-Alt-Del comic from July 2007. Don't let the fact that it's old excuse the mistakes; this is still very typical of Buckley's current work.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070718

Here's another comic, this one a Penny Arcade strip from early the same year. The subject matter and joke are the same (Puzzle Quest) but it's a fairly obvious joke to make and I can easily assume both writers came up with it independently.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28

Both comics identify the humour in the situation - that the rules of a game world seem absurd when applied to the real world - but while Penny Arcade understands that the crux of a joke should be reserved for the final panel, Ctrl-Alt-Del is apparently so excited about the idea that it blurts it out right away, leaving three more panels to flounder in excessive dialogue and pointlessness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom