Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some Combat questions

Ladonna

Arcane
Just wondering about the combat model.

What weapons are available? Is there any particular genre ie: Roman era weapons, DnD type weapons, etc?

Are polearms included with a reach bonus of any sort? If yes, how does it affect combat? does it suffer penalties if an opponent gets in close?

How are criticals handled? Can you disarm an opponent? send them flying like a sledgehammer hit in Fallout? Knock them out? break limbs?

Are there any weapons that are not usually in RPG's? What are the great aspects of these weapons when you use them?

Any other cool things about combat that you would like to spruik?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ladonna said:
What weapons are available?
8 classes: dagger, sword, axe, hammer, spear, bow, xbow, throwing. 3-4 weapons per class, i.e. the sword class: short sword (gladius), sickle sword (khopesh), curved sword (shamshir), 2H curved sword.

Is there any particular genre ie: Roman era weapons, DnD type weapons, etc?
Roman, Persian, Egyptian. That region.

Are polearms included with a reach bonus of any sort? If yes, how does it affect combat? does it suffer penalties if an opponent gets in close?
The spear class: pilum, short spear, long spear, trident. The last two have longer reach, so with some skills you can interrupt any attempts to get close to you. You can't use long spear/trident in close combat at all - either switch or move back.

Can you disarm an opponent? send them flying like a sledgehammer hit in Fallout? Knock them out? break limbs?
Yes to all, but the last one. You can cripple someone (temporary condition)

Are there any weapons that are not usually in RPG's?
Not anymore. There was another group - weapons of the "gods", but we removed it long time ago. You could get access to them only in the last third of the game, we either had to give you a skill at the beginning, without any weapons (sorta like the energy weapons in FO), and you'd start investing points hoping that the weapons are good, or add the skill when you find the first such weapon, but then you may not have enough points.

What are the great aspects of these weapons when you use them?
The what?

Any other cool things about combat that you would like to spruik?
I like nets and the light fighter vs heavy fighter angle.

jeansberg

Liturgist
Can you throw your pilum, as it was primarily a throwing weapon in Rome?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
How does the critical hit system work? And is it possible to twink your character into a 1-hit death machine like in Fallout?

Vault Dweller

Developer
jeansberg said:
Can you throw your pilum, as it was primarily a throwing weapon in Rome?
Yes. You can throw all spears. The pilum both ignores (goes through) and disarms shields.

aweigh said:
How does the critical hit system work?
Critical = more damage. You pump up your Critical Strike skill if that's your way of playing.

And is it possible to twink your character into a 1-hit death machine like in Fallout?
Yes. Max HP is 50. Avg HP is 40. You can kill someone in 2 hits with a 2H sword without any criticals (assuming your opponent isn't wearing heavy armor, and assuming you can hit him).

Ladonna

Arcane
Claw: Beats the shit out of having to read "Your shadows SUCK!! Im goin back to oblivion!!" all the time right? In any case, its easier to have all these things in one thread. :wink:

Thats cool about the Pilums. I assume they only make the shield useless during the one combat?

And nets? how did you manage to put these in? This is starting to get even more interesting...

About Hitpoints. So you are going for a more realistic system in that a two handed sword could carve a person up quite quickly in real life. What kind of defences would a lightly armored character have against this? Would they be quicker and have more 'dodging capability? Or do heavy weapons have minuses to hit due to them being clumsy?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ladonna said:
Thats cool about the Pilums. I assume they only make the shield useless during the one combat?
Yes, you can pick up your shield after the fight is over.

And nets? how did you manage to put these in? This is starting to get even more interesting...
There was a net throwing animation somewhere - look for the animation threads. Net is a way to deal with fast, hard to hit opponents. Acid is a way to deal with slow, heavily armored opponents.

What kind of defences would a lightly armored character have against this?
Dodge (the skill). They are very hard to hit, but go down easily. The heavily armored opponents are very easy to hit, but the armor DR absorbs quite a lot.

Or do heavy weapons have minuses to hit due to them being clumsy?
Yes. 2H weapons have some penalties to hit. So, a novice should stick with a simple sword instead of grabbing the biggest weapon right away.

EEVIAC

Erudite
I'm kind of disappointed that chains didn't make it in (you sold us out, VD!) ToEE's spiked chains are my favourite weapon from any RPG. Can you still swing the net like a flail?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Chains? Chains would've been cool. Damn. Oh, and I think "net" qualifies as "weapon that is not usually in RPGs" as far as I know.

Ladonna said:
Claw: Beats the shit out of having to read "Your shadows SUCK!! Im goin back to oblivion!!" all the time right? In any case, its easier to have all these things in one thread. :wink:
Wouldn't that have been a good reason to post your questions (those not already answered) in the existing thread? :P

Ladonna

Arcane
Then I get called a grave digger....

I can't win at teh Codex :cry:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
Chains? Chains would've been cool. Damn. Oh, and I think "net" qualifies as "weapon that is not usually in RPGs" as far as I know.
Net's not really a weapon. It immobilizes the target and sets Dodge to 0 for two turns.

EEVIAC said:
ToEE's spiked chains are my favourite weapon from any RPG.
Indeed.

Can you still swing the net like a flail?
Nope.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It just ocurred to me... since you said you can pick up your thrown weapons after the fight, is there a "Pick up nearby loot" button for ease-of-use? Pixel-hunting for loot after every fight is always so tedious.

Grog

Educated
Claw said:
It's a non-lethal weapon, but a weapon nonetheless.
The net sounds more like a usable combat item, like the Greek Fire or Acid, than a weapon. There's not been any mention of equipped nets improving blocking/dodging or anything like that. Do I have that right? Do you have to equip the net like a weapon, or do you just select it out of your inventory to throw it at someone like a grenade?

Vault Dweller

Developer
aweigh said:
It just ocurred to me... since you said you can pick up your thrown weapons after the fight, is there a "Pick up nearby loot" button for ease-of-use? Pixel-hunting for loot after every fight is always so tedious.
Yep, there is. Stole that from Spiderweb.

Grog said:
Do you have to equip the net like a weapon?
Yes.

Bradylama

Arcane
Is the player character's ability to spot loot based on his perception or does all loot just pop up regardless?

Vault Dweller

Developer
All loot. There are a few quest items that require high Perception to be noticed though.

Vault Dweller

Developer
We've added AoO for "disengagement" after some ranged combat discussions.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like that.

Grog said:
The net sounds more like a usable combat item
What, like a weapon for instance?
I mean, holy fuck, how pretentious can you get? :?

like the Greek Fire or Acid, than a weapon.
Totally not weapons. Just like a crowbar, which is a useable opening tool. It can open all sorts of stuff, like crates or skulls. :lol:

There's not been any mention of equipped nets improving blocking/dodging or anything like that.
So? You're not going to tell me that's what seperates weapons from other.. useable items, are you? You couldn't be that daft, surely. :roll:

Do you have to equip the net like a weapon, or do you just select it out of your inventory to throw it at someone like a grenade?
Wait, are you trying to tell me a grenade isn't a weapon either? :shock:

Grog

Educated
Claw said:
Grog said:
The net sounds more like a usable combat item
What, like a weapon for instance?
I mean, holy fuck, how pretentious can you get? :?

like the Greek Fire or Acid, than a weapon.
Totally not weapons. Just like a crowbar, which is a useable opening tool. It can open all sorts of stuff, like crates or skulls. :lol:

There's not been any mention of equipped nets improving blocking/dodging or anything like that.
So? You're not going to tell me that's what seperates weapons from other.. useable items, are you? You couldn't be that daft, surely. :roll:

Do you have to equip the net like a weapon, or do you just select it out of your inventory to throw it at someone like a grenade?
Wait, are you trying to tell me a grenade isn't a weapon either? :shock:
Lovely bit of trolling there, congratulations.

But I agree that my choice of phrase was probably not the best for what I was trying to describe. I was merely trying to suggest that the net sounded like one of the weapons that can only be used by throwing and which have no alternate melee usage, such as the acid and greek fire. Since everything seems to be throwable, I think of weapons that are only intended to be thrown as a distinct category of item from the melee weapons, or the ranged weapons that use amunition, or the amunition itself.

Despite all that, I thought it might make sense for a net equipped in your off-hand to have a similar effect to a shield with regard to blocking and dodging, though perhaps less effective. I'm thinking of all those movie fight scenes where they use a net or other piece of cloth to tangle up their enemies weapon to deflect attacks.

Cruces

Novice
I don't know if these have been asked before but I would like to know:
a) will there be aimed attacks (like going for the head or the troat ) doing extra damage but costing more ap?
b) will there be magic in the game? I'm assuming no since I haven't seen such a skill but I thought that maybe you could use it in some other way (like having high intelligence gives you access to higher spells and not a skill) edit: (or maybe lore can be used to learn spells)
c) more edit: will there be dual wielding?

suibhne

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
aweigh said:
Yep, there is. Stole that from Spiderweb.

Could you make the pickup radius larger than Vogel's? That would be nifty - I'm frequently a little piqued by needing to move my Avernum characters two or three times to pick up everything from a large battle. Yes, I know the looting feature is unrealistic or w/e...but if you're going to do it anyway (and I'm glad you are :)), it might as well be effective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom