Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls So why is Elder Scrolls lore so interesting?

Indranys

Savant
Everything indicates TESO will be an utter, unprecedented abomination in regards to the lore.

As for Skyrim, it's... surprisingly inoffensive.
Even more surprisingly it seems to strongly acknowledge and reference PGE material.
Yep. The first one.
Thanks bro. :salute:
Your statement really convinces me enough to try the game again.
But I still don't have much time to play the game though, I'll put it in the last order of my list then.
Damn a lot of 4x games to play too, man I'm playing Distant Worlds too much in my spare time it seems.
God bless my shitty MoO3 LARPing sessions, and now this game is even crazier... :oops:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Everything indicates TESO will be an utter, unprecedented abomination in regards to the lore.
Obligatory wall of text incoming

biZHcmJ.png

oscar

Arcane
"The Elder Scrolls IP is very down-to-earth and gritty, so we had to take the traditional 'these are High Elves' fantasy visuals -- tall towers, white marble, landscaped terrain -- and merge them with the grittier and more medieval-realistic (there are poor High Elf farmers, etc.). It came together very well."

teso-1359578842.jpg

:lol:

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Oh wow. They insert a toned-down color palette in Skyrim and some pseudo-völkisch architecture and all of a sudden the setting is OMG SO DARK AND GRITTEH. Never mind the fact that Oblivion was Disneyland, Morrowind was Crazy Mushroom Land and Daggerfall was cod-Medieval fantasy.

It's amazing how in the past two or three years or so almost every single major AAA franchise has jumped on the "dark and gritty, ergo adult and mature" bandwagon, even though their plotlines are usually everything but mature and they are obviously pandering to a teenager/kiddie demographic.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Didn't you hear? Ever since Game of Thrones everything has to be grim and gritty and realistic. Anything that isn't is kiddieshit that is too childish for mature viewers who like mature things.

DraQ

Arcane
Thanks bro. :salute:
Your statement really convinces me enough to try the game again.
Mind you - it won't be quite Morrowind lore-wise, but I expected a continuation of oblivion's lore rape.

The gameplay is dumbed down, though (although level scaling is less emphasized), so I recommend getting Requiem mod (although it may seem horribly unfair at first).

Indranys

Savant
Mind you - it won't be quite Morrowind lore-wise, but I expected a continuation of oblivion's lore rape.
The gameplay is dumbed down, though (although level scaling is less emphasized), so I recommend getting Requiem mod (although it may seem horribly unfair at first).
Yeah, I suspect as much.
I never play TES games with tons of mods though, only used texture mods for Morrowind back then.
But I'll try Requiem for sure, people call it the essential mod it seems. And that hypothermia mod is too irresistible for a LARPing fag like me.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Kirkbride recently was on Reddit

http://4x.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/1pv78e/ask_michael_kirkbride_anything_the_aftermath/

Would you care to offer some insight on what a more accurate aspiration for the Thalmor's realization of their goals would be, insomuch as it's even possible to write in a sufficiently concise and cryptic manner for an organization that operates on bureaucratically-saturated information overload in more or less everything they do?

The Thalmor is easily the most dangerous organization in the Aurbis. Moreso than Talos.

They cannot be understood. They are the Other and they hate everything that even smells like mortality.

And they're going to win in the end.
:cmcc:

Caim

Arcane
Well, he's sort of right.

Being decanted into a lesser form of that which came before you is a running theme in The Elder Scrolls. Eventually this decanting ends in being rendered into something such a low form of mortality that it stops being mortal, combined with unraveling of the Towers, ends up ending the world and returning to non-linearity.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Just reading his responses makes me feel like I'm taking a glance at something I really shouldn't and I'll go crazy if I stare for too long. Also, it's refreshing to see someone worth noting actually call out Oblivion for that green meadows bullshit, even years after release.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Yeah. That and the "LOL WE DIT IT FOR TEH EVULZ" Dark Brotherhood featured in OB and Skyrim.

I'm not really a fan of the Dark Brotherhood as it was depicted in Oblivion or Skyrim. That's a boring kind of evil, which is a shame, because a lot of their quests are masterfully done.

Turns out Kirk is a stand up guy :salute:

Kirkbride was largely responsible for that "something" TES has going for itself lore-wise
That's why they need to close Kirkbride in the basement, give him everything he wants (and by "everything" I mean fuckload of drugs) and implement everything The Man comes up with for TES VI.

Luzur

Good Sir
Just reading his responses makes me feel like I'm taking a glance at something I really shouldn't and I'll go crazy if I stare for too long. Also, it's refreshing to see someone worth noting actually call out Oblivion for that green meadows bullshit, even years after release.

hey, i still do it (and always done it), from time to time.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Funny thing - I recently reinstalled Oblivious for one reason or another, started it up, took a look at the faces, :what: , and uninstalled immediately.

So shit.
Are there still no mods that make the faces somewhat palatable?

Caim

Arcane
Funny thing - I recently reinstalled Oblivious for one reason or another, started it up, took a look at the faces, :what: , and uninstalled immediately.

So shit.
Are there still no mods that make the faces somewhat palatable?
A mod for the Oblivion engine that makes the people look less shit, and improves game quality overall? Sure, I know of one.

Skyrim. :troll:

Caim

Arcane
Oblivion faces are built-in metaphor for game's overall quality.
Oblivion is a large but mostly empty world with only a few closed-off locations with only one or two gates where tribes of disfigured mutants live.

Metaphor for Fallout?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom