Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls So why is Elder Scrolls lore so interesting?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ahah, looking at that list of names and comparing the morrowind to the oblivion and skyrim section makes some things painfully clear.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Ahah, looking at that list of names and comparing the morrowind to the oblivion and skyrim section makes some things painfully clear.
That Morrowind is set in Dunmerland while the other two games aren't?

Dustin542

Liturgist
Since the six house has just enough bells, I play Stones on them sometimes. Well the small bit of it you have to play in Ultima V anyway. Coincidence maybe?

Caim

Arcane
That's what I found strange about Morrowind: the weight. I mean, a Daedric Katana weights 54 pounds: no way you can swing that.

Caim

Arcane
That's what I found strange about Morrowind: the weight. I mean, a Daedric Katana weights 54 pounds: no way you can swing that.

Armor itself is 350 pounds.

:martini:
And if you replace the shield with the Warhammer you're looking at 405 pounds. Which means that you need 81 strength to be able to move around while wearing that shit, not counting the potions/scrolls/loot you want with you.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I'd also point out that, in the realm of Morrowind clutter, a sheet of paper weighs as much as a lute (three pounds), and that a large redware bowl weighs less than the regular redware bowl, or that a broom is three times heavier than a fishing pole. But at least Morrowind had some decent clutter, rather than filling houses with identical crystal balls that aren't worth shit (honestly, who thought it would be a good idea to put crystal balls every fucking where like the world was full of fortune tellers?)

PS: Oh, and hourglasses. Hourglasses everywhere.

Regvard

Arcane
That's why glass armor is superior. It has a bit less armor but easier to get and much lighter. Not to mention you can get cuirass of the saviour's hide easily and use boots of blinding speed.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Those weapons obviously weren't made for skinny ass LARPers re-enacting historical battles with their pencil arms. :mca:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Armor itself is 350 pounds.

:martini:
And if you replace the shield with the Warhammer you're looking at 405 pounds. Which means that you need 81 strength to be able to move around while wearing that shit, not counting the potions/scrolls/loot you want with you.

Deadric gear is not for commoners not noobs in Morrrowind; I don't see how this is bad thing; you want a superior protection dedicate yourself to being warrior; Choices & Consequences.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Are they supposed to be pounds? I always thought that it was just any number, one that only makes sense in relation to the others. Obviously, someone wanting to be a heavily-armored type, but without investing in strength, can always enchant a ring with Feather.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Are they supposed to be pounds? I always thought that it was just any number, one that only makes sense in relation to the others. Obviously, someone wanting to be a heavily-armored type, but without investing in strength, can always enchant a ring with Feather.
Even so the hgh end weapons are insanely heavy compared to the basic stuff.

Regvard

Arcane

Inc. str > feather. Their cost is same.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
while eating self-cooked dishes that increase your INT.

There's food in Skyrim that increases your INT?
There's INT in Skyrim?
Only the things in Skyrim written by or 1:1 ctrl+c/ctrl+v'd from based Kirkbride have anything resembling INT.

Not to mention that that stuff was fresh about 10 years ago. The vapid, faux-philosophical, pseudo-Crowley style Kirkbride and his imitators have been relying on since Morrowind is getting stale. It was fun in the 36 Sermons, the Mankar Camoran stuff was uninspiring, and some of the books written for Skyrim were just painful, especially the obvious pastiches of Vivecspeak.

Caim

Arcane
while eating self-cooked dishes that increase your INT.

There's food in Skyrim that increases your INT?
There's INT in Skyrim?
Only the things in Skyrim written by or 1:1 ctrl+c/ctrl+v'd from based Kirkbride have anything resembling INT.
Not to mention that that stuff was fresh about 10 years ago. The vapid, faux-philosophical, pseudo-Crowley style Kirkbride and his imitators have been relying on since Morrowind is getting stale. It was fun in the 36 Sermons, the Mankar Camoran stuff was uninspiring, and some of the books written for Skyrim were just painful, especially the obvious pastiches of Vivecspeak.
Mankar Camoran's stuff? Wasn't that just "I want to hatefuck the world to death and reshape it as my personal paradise! :D"?

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Mankar Camoran's stuff? Wasn't that just "I want to hatefuck the world to death and reshape it as my personal paradise! :D"?

Yeah, and the style is so trite it almost reads like a parody of itself. "Witness the Literary Hack Once Talented"!

It's not like it was ever that great, but at least there was some originality in shamelessly ripping out entire paragraphs of the Book of the Law and giving them a fantasy makeover, especially as it seemed to fly over the heads of 99% of the fandom. Now it's all OLOLOL [NUMINIT], Muatra jokes and corny prose.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not like it was ever that great, but at least there was some originality in shamelessly ripping out entire paragraphs of the Book of the Law and giving them a fantasy makeover, especially as it seemed to fly over the heads of 99% of the fandom. Now it's all OLOLOL [NUMINIT], Muatra jokes and corny prose.

Still better than Vano's Show.

DraQ

Arcane
How's the lore in Skyrim+expansions and TES Online guys??
Everything indicates TESO will be an utter, unprecedented abomination in regards to the lore.

As for Skyrim, it's... surprisingly inoffensive.
Even more surprisingly it seems to strongly acknowledge and reference PGE material.
Yep. The first one.

Because it had more mystery and leave a wide space for imagination. Once they started to describe everything, they've entangled their fans in their own shit.
Ergo Notepad is the best RPG.
:hearnoevil:

All the Pokemon references like Kakuna Burial, Morawak's Spine, Weepingbell Hall and Peke Utchoo.

Eastern influences confirmed.
Those are not references. Those are easter eggs.

"Oh yeah, it's actually not Giant Dick Monster, it's a corruption of a name in the ancient tongue of the local people, Zhay 'Ant Deeq Moon-Star, an ancient deity of the Sähnd Nee Gars"

Yeah, a lot of naming and stuff in TES is ascended dorkiness... Which kind of works in how it mirrors RL retcons to myths, oral traditions and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom