Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So who's played Divinity 2?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THANS FOR THE HEART I WAS KINDA WASTED WHEN I BOUGHT THE GAME IT WAS WITH A BRITHDAY GUFT CERTIFICATE I AOLMOST GOT THE BATMAN GAME INSTEAD OF FAG EFFECT 2

yaster

Liturgist
Dicksmoker said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I meant if your enemy is significantly higher level, not only 1 or 2. Example: this killer rabbit (lvl 22), would just one hit kill me, whereas later after I had outleveled it, his attacks didn't even cause damage. The level seems to have an higher influence than say Armor Class or Magic Resistance.
Sounds like Gothic.

Nope.

Divinity 2 scales damage based on level differences between player and monster. You have to be a specific level x to kill mob (x+1) or (x+2), (x+5) are impossible.

In Gothic all that matter is how player distributed his skill points - lockpicks or sword mastery? It could effectively be a levelless, level really doesn't matter...

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THAT IS KIND OF SAD I LOVE OLD SCHOOL SHICT WERE IF YOU LEVEL YOUR SHIT RIGHT YOU CAN FUCK UP THINGS FAR BEYOND YOUR LEVEL

BROP MY FIRST EXEREIENCE WITH THIS WAS THE BROTHERHOOD OR WHATEVER THE FUICK THEY WERE IN WASTELAND THE FUCKS ALL HAD LASER GUNS AND SHIT BUT IF I WAS A BADASS WITH AN UZI AND HAD TONS AND TONS OF AMMO I COULD GO FULL AUITO ON THE FUCKS

Varn

Educated
I thought the game started out OK but it didn't take long to realize how mediocre and dull it was. The character development was pretty shallow and boring (think Torchlight standard); the monsters and locations all re-hashed fantasy crap and the story was non-existent.

Also, it had pretty poor production quality which stood out after a while. Eg you couldn't tell if you hit someone in combat other than by their health going down some time after the swing. Similarly the lock-on system was terrible so you would struggle to target one monster in a group and constantly be flicking back/forth between the enemies unintentionally (which could mean you lost the fight).

Finally the dragon part of the game was piss-poor and totally out of place. A lot of the game is focused on this aspect which was a major fuck-up in my view.

Overall it seems like a wannabe WOW-clone minus the polish, complete with floating yellow exclamation marks. There was some mildly entertaining C & C in the first few quests but this quickly gave way to grind-fest combat which didn't even have much interesting loot as a reward. The loot you do get is few and far between as well as being dull and completely unmemorable.

I don't recommend it - get Risen or Gothic 3 (+ community patch) for something similar but miles better.

Monocause

Arcane
Varn, your experience is completely different from mine. While combat and character development are admittedly mediocre, the story was in my opinion one of the game's stronger points, just like the quests. Yeah, it was rehashed fantasy cliches most of the time but with lots of charm to back it up. If it were not so I would not finish the game.

The only consensus available, it seems, is to try to game and see for yourself if you like it, dicksmoker.

Varn

Educated
Yeah I agree it had charm but the charm wore thin pretty quickly for me. There was no substance to the actual game-play.

DraQ

Arcane
Varn said:
the monsters and locations all re-hashed fantasy crap and the story was non-existent.
That's just pure bullshit.
Eg you couldn't tell if you hit someone in combat other than by their health going down some time after the swing.
That would be a serious drawback, if it wasn't so prevalent.

Similarly the lock-on system was terrible so you would struggle to target one monster in a group and constantly be flicking back/forth between the enemies unintentionally (which could mean you lost the fight).
It was somewhat clumsy, but I didn't experience any problems with it. In really tight situations (once during my play through) you could always issue commands when paused.

Finally the dragon part of the game was piss-poor and totally out of place.
It was poor because it lacked ability to do cool stuff.

omplete with floating yellow exclamation marks.
I can agree with that, in fact, this game inspired me to write a rant about visual consistency.

grind-fest combat
Fail. You can't have grind-fest without respawning mobs.

Varn

Educated
It was grind-fest combat because most of the combat consisted of grindin'. That is, pointless boring combat against uninspired trash mobs with little player (or character, apart from level) skill involved. The only point of the combat was so you could advance to the next zone, just like an MMO. It doesn't matter that the NPC's didn't respawn.

This would've been OK if there was loot involved.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dicksmoker said:
not taking itself dead seriously.
Yeah that sounds like Gothic as well. Still, as long as it isn't too comical to the point where I wouldn't be engaged in the story, I'm okay with that. C&C is what I care about the most, and if it has enough of that I'll be happy. It's $30 on Amazon now. How is the main quest though? Is there any branching there, or multiple endings? Also, how is the writing?

The comical aspects aren't too heavy handed for the most part- more like a tongue in cheek, nod and a wink kinda vibe. I'm having genuine fun so far, although I haven't gotten to the dragon stuff yet.

Varn said:
The only point of the combat was so you could advance to the next zone, just like an MMO. It doesn't matter that the NPC's didn't respawn.

There's not loot involved?! I've gotten some pretty nice weapon drops from combat, not to mention chests with plenty of items that were definitely useful. I'm really not finding it to be grind heavy either and the combat isn't so terrible. It can be quite fun and challenging at times ( I'm playing on the hardest difficulty FWIW).

The art design really won me over in the end. Some cool dungeons and special areas shake things up and keep things interesting. It's quite charming and clearly well designed with an eye for detail. Especially so, when compared to visual dreck like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

random_encounter

Educated
Varn said:
It was grind-fest combat because most of the combat consisted of grindin'. That is, pointless boring combat against uninspired trash mobs with little player (or character, apart from level) skill involved. The only point of the combat was so you could advance to the next zone, just like an MMO. It doesn't matter that the NPC's didn't respawn.

Wha? There's plenty of loot to be found. Almost too much crap, really, that I fucking hated the fact that the game made finding an actual chest to keep all of that stuff a quest. I hungered for combat knowing that mobs didn't respawn. Every kill mattered for experience and potential goodies, not merely for getting to the next area. There were set items if you looked hard enough.

Dragon combat was shit, though, especially for the fact that you couldn't burn ground targets. They should have left that out entirely and focused more on the on-foot stuff as well as expanding the world so that it didn't feel like half a game.

It had its fun moments, it wasn't horrible, but it could have been so much better.

latexmonkeys said:
The art design really won me over in the end. Some cool dungeons and special areas shake things up and keep things interesting. It's quite charming and clearly well designed with an eye for detail. Especially so, when compared to visual dreck like Oblivion or Fallout 3.
The Hall of Echoes and the Tower come to mind.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Fail. You can't have grind-fest without respawning mobs.
Disagree. You can just have too many trash mobs, more than needed to do side quests. And you'd be forced to do so because you weren't strong enough for the next area yet just by doing all the side quests, and since melee combat consists of just click-click-click and there was no manual way of defending, you had to clear out almost all the trash mobs. Maybe magic and/or archery were better.

Ruprekt

Scholar
random_encounter said:
Dragon combat was shit, though, especially for the fact that you couldn't burn ground targets. They should have left that out entirely and focused more on the on-foot stuff as well as expanding the world so that it didn't feel like half a game.

It had its fun moments, it wasn't horrible, but it could have been so much better.

The developers seem to agree which makes me hopeful for the expansion.

DraQ

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
random_encounter said:

I hope they include Dragon combat, but make it, I don't know, actually cool?

Pseudofool

Scholar
I tried it with eager anticipation, and while I had a lot of fun in the first village, once I moved out into the world and the main story became clearer I lost interest pretty quickly.

As has been suggested the need to level beyond your opponents really forces you to complete everything and kill everything to get coveted xp. This really messed with pacing and turned it into a bit of mmo type grinding.

What I saw of the story just wasn't very persuasive. It was poorly told, you get to this triggered (is quick time the right phrase here?) event with a cheesy wizard where the story is filled out rather poorly. The characters seemed too extreme and the it lost a lot of verisimilitude for me.

The mind reading would be neat if it didn't cost xp and if it bore more tangible results. The progression and the item system seem pretty subpar even for a hack and slash.

I mean it's better than Sacred 2, Drakensang (or whatever that was). But it's not better than Risen, or even Dragon Age, which I've begun to loathe a bit.

random_encounter

Educated
DraQ said:
Ruprekt said:
random_encounter said:

I hope they include Dragon combat, but make it, I don't know, actually cool?
I'm all for it if they can pull it off. It's not like there aren't good examples out there to draw on that have already been pointed out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom