Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, System Shock 2....oh the horror!

Mauman

Learned
Did you boost the damage on Cyrokinesis? It feels better than I remember.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Did you boost the damage on Cyrokinesis? It feels better than I remember.
Not at low levels. It can however now be overloaded up to PSI 10 (or 11 with the Power Psi O/S Upgrade), whereas it originally could only reach PSI 8.

One thing to note is that SCP added splash damage for missed Cryokinesis/Pyrokinesis shots hitting terrain (while a direct hit channels all the damage into one target).

Sykar

Arcane
My System Shock 2 mod version 2.00 is finally released after a long beta period of almost 2 years

New features include overhauled modification system for weapons and armors allowing you to customize your gear on the fly, heavily reworked psi disciplines with rearranged unlock tiers and expanded overload mechanics, hacking minigame rebuilt from scratch to subtract nanites per node click, new level design features such as power cells to open loot caches and routes, new secrets, and many new radiation hazards.

This is purely gameplay so it should work with all those graphic mods that give better models and textures, right?

RoSoDude

Arcane
My System Shock 2 mod version 2.00 is finally released after a long beta period of almost 2 years

New features include overhauled modification system for weapons and armors allowing you to customize your gear on the fly, heavily reworked psi disciplines with rearranged unlock tiers and expanded overload mechanics, hacking minigame rebuilt from scratch to subtract nanites per node click, new level design features such as power cells to open loot caches and routes, new secrets, and many new radiation hazards.

This is purely gameplay so it should work with all those graphic mods that give better models and textures, right?

Yep. Compatible with nearly every graphical mod (maybe with the exception of a few less popular ones like Arcaniac which replace weapon inventory icons).

I waffled on whether I should include weapon/texture mods in the trailer since most people use them (I no longer do), but I decided against it as it's not my work and I didn't want to give the false impression that they were part of the mod.

Mauman

Learned
Well, can't say I'm very happy about the agility/endurance psi swap :P

Maybe if the recoil/alarm (the other two you can get at C. creation at that particular choice) powers weren't hot stinky garbage....well....can't win them all I suppose.

I'm going to try a psionic/energy playthrough. Hopefully I don't hate myself TOO much for it.

edit - Are you still going to attempt at making character creation more modular? The trailer mentions it, but I didn't see any new options available (just some tweaked choices).

2nd edit - I didn't see it in your notes, but is the enemy detection for Spatially Awareness a new thing? That feels way more useful than I recall this upgrade being.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Well, can't say I'm very happy about the agility/endurance psi swap :P

Maybe if the recoil/alarm (the other two you can get at C. creation at that particular choice) powers weren't hot stinky garbage....well....can't win them all I suppose.

I'm going to try a psionic/energy playthrough. Hopefully I don't hate myself TOO much for it.

edit - Are you still going to attempt at making character creation more modular? The trailer mentions it, but I didn't see any new options available (just some tweaked choices).

2nd edit - I didn't see it in your notes, but is the enemy detection for Spatially Awareness a new thing? That feels way more useful than I recall this upgrade being.
Clearly you can see that Psychogenic Endurance is the worst of the stat buff powers, so it belongs in tier 1 ;)

I made a mod that activates the alarm when you destroy cameras unless security is hacked, the camera is frozen in stasis, or you've cast the Remote Electron Tampering ability (replacing its alarm timer reduction feature). See here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=11204.0

Psionic/Energy is a good build, it just takes a little while to come online. Once it does you have a good way to deal with bots, organics, and everything in between.

Apologies if I oversold the character creation changes. The choices are just tweaked such that some of the possible starts play out a lot more differently than before.

Spatially Aware revealing enemies on the minimap is an SCP change. I think it's one of the best traits now. Its utility is extended further if you install the Rickenbacker automaps mod: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=7355.0

Mauman

Learned
I think something....not sure if it's your mod or the SCP* broke the expertech mod?

It's not adding skills in any meaningful way.

*those are the only two mods I have installed that affect gameplay in some manner.

edit - durrrrr

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
I think something....not sure if it's your mod or the SCP* broke the expertech mod?

*those are the only two mods I have installed that affect gameplay in some manner.
It doesn't contribute to skill requirements, only the Hack/Repair/Modify minigames. I just checked the code and the implant bonus should be supported by the new minigames. You should see a text string on minigame startup that says "ExperTech: +10%" to depict this bonus, and you should see the bonus disappear when you remove the implant. If that's still not working, I'll investigate when I get home and put out a hotfix ASAP.

Mauman

Learned

It doesn't contribute to skill requirements, only the Hack/Repair/Modify minigames. I just checked the code and the implant bonus should be supported by the new minigames. You should see a text string on minigame startup that says "ExperTech: +10%" to depict this bonus, and you should see the bonus disappear when you remove the implant. If that's still not working, I'll investigate when I get home and put out a hotfix ASAP.
Ok, I'm seeing it now. Sorry bout that.

edit - oddly enough, it says expertech - +3%. But the numbers seem to be adding up correctly.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Ah, I have the text display grabbing the CYB bonus (+5%) instead of the skill bonus (+10%) even though the actual minigame bonus is correct, that's my bad. I'll fix that for the next update. Thanks for pointing it out!

Zlaja

Arcane
Please ignore the Windows Defender false positive on the download

ME164OP9_o.jpg

RoSoDude

Arcane
Listen, if you know how to hide a Trojan in a 230KB archive with only text files and images, I'd like to know because that sounds like a lucrative, if illegal, way of harvesting financial information and I can quit my day job.

Jinn

Arcane

Such awesome work, RoSoDude! We are in your debt once again. Thank you for the hard work you put into your mods. If Nightdive was smart, they'd contact you about getting your work in their SS2 Enhanced Edition as an optional mode or something.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
If Nightdive was smart, they'd contact you about getting your work in their SS2 Enhanced Edition as an optional mode or something.
That's a very big "if". Going by Nightdive's track record with SS1 Kickstarter, I'd say waiting for SS2 EE is going to be a loooong wait.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
SS2 EE is the typical treatment they give to old games and not an entirely new project, so it's not impossible that they are actually withholding it for SS1 release.

RoSoDude

Arcane

Such awesome work, RoSoDude! We are in your debt once again. Thank you for the hard work you put into your mods. If Nightdive was smart, they'd contact you about getting your work in their SS2 Enhanced Edition as an optional mode or something.

Appreciate the kind words. I'd stick to my principles and decline if they ever asked me, though. I think official modpacks are bad for modders:
  • It means newcomers are experiencing a different vision of the game without necessarily realizing it
  • It turns players away from seeking out modding communities directly, creating an implicit hierarchy of mods decided by the publisher instead of the userbase
  • It requires coordination between the current publisher and modding community to keep mods up to date, where a pipeline for mod distribution and installation already exists. The same reason the SS2 community has been opposed to modpacks in general!

Diggfinger

Arcane
Hey guys, it is that time again. I'm playing through SS2 now, I'm somewhere near the end I guess, but I'd like to share my thoughts so far.

So...honestly, this game is almost unenjoyable. And very enjoyable at the same time. Enjoyable, because it has great atmosphere, a nice setup, Shodan obviously, lots of weapons, psi powers and other stuff to gather. I like the level design, and that blood pumping, yet so frightening techno music. Oh, and hearing Stephen "Garrett" Russel in a different role, but with the same voice was a very strange experience.

But it is almost entirely ruined by the constantly respawing enemies. SS2 is worst than any other modern popamole game in this regard. And if you think otherwise, then you don't know what you are talkig about. Seriously, they spawn in front of you from thin air, they spawn again and again behind you. And because the game is quite hard, you can get a lot of damage from enemies you don't even see, because in one moment they are nowhere to be seen, but suddenly they are hitting you from behind. Sometimes I was strafing during a gunfight, and I didn't notice that a spider or some robot spawned behind me, and killed me. I was near ragequit at that point.

The weapon degredation system is hit and miss. It was enfuriating in the beginning, because you couldn't fire 5 bullets without breaking your gun (literally). Thankfully you can wack the enemies to death with your melee weapons. Oh, melee hit detection is shit. And the repair skill is shit, because even if you upgrade it (alongside with the maintenance skill), you barely repair your stuff. Later in the game it wasn't a huge problem, because I found a lot of repair tools, which maxed out the weapons durability, so they didn't brake too much.

I will finish the game of course, and although I'm happy that I've played it, and was a good experience, it won't be on my best games list.

:flameshield up:

Never got that far into SS2, prefer SS1, actually :flame-shield up:

If you like Shodan, check out my book: Tofu Brains!

Has an evil AI named ... N.A.D.O.S.H.

:positive:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom