Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So does anyone else get that uncanny valley effect?

Shannow

Waster of Time
DraQ said:
It's because visuals are incongruent.

You have all the bloom, shaders, postprocessing effects and whole range of specularmaps, bumpmaps, shitmaps and parallax maps smeared across hilariously low-res textures that are themselves wrapped around reasonably detailed models.

And then you puke because being constantly subjected to alternating areas of high and extremely low detail make you fucking queasy. And then you remember all those retards fapping over how awesome did this smeary shit look in oblivious and feel sudden urge to keep punching them in their little retarded faces till they burst with blood and bone shards, turning into unrecognizable lumps of mangled meat, while their owners extrude their turds and expire, gurgling silently.
:rpgcodex:

Old games tended to have pretty much equal level of detail everywhere, often tuned to the resolution, new games, especially cross platform ones, try to appeal to graphicswhores with all the tech used, but at the same time are restricted by archaic memory constraints. They try to make up for that by hiding ridiculously blurry textures beneath thick layer of -maps - plastic props ensue. The funny thing is that consoletards are not subjected to this in full force, since their next-gen "HD" is lightyears behind even Build-engine and its contemporary monitors in terms of display resolution.
I find myself agreeing with you more often than not, but rarely has somebody put my opinion in words so masterfully. I wholeheartedly agree.

Considering the Witcher 2 already manages to have most faces, armor, weapons and many backround graphics look good it can only be another 10 years of 3D development before they manage to come up with consistently good graphics. But maybe I'm too optimistic :rpgcodex:

Norfleet

There is definitely a point at which "too much graphics" detracts from the experience because the flaws in the graphics becomes more apparent by the fact that everything else looks good, whereas with crappy graphics, you're inclined to dismiss the flaws because there are so many, and just go, "meh, crappy graphics".

Another problem with "good graphics" is that they, all too frequently, emulate a BAD CAMERA, and not actual VISION. As a result, you have a very excellent simulation of bad camerawork, which really becomes distracting.

DraQ

Arcane
Shannow said:
DraQ said:
It's because visuals are incongruent.

You have all the bloom, shaders, postprocessing effects and whole range of specularmaps, bumpmaps, shitmaps and parallax maps smeared across hilariously low-res textures that are themselves wrapped around reasonably detailed models.

And then you puke because being constantly subjected to alternating areas of high and extremely low detail make you fucking queasy. And then you remember all those retards fapping over how awesome did this smeary shit look in oblivious and feel sudden urge to keep punching them in their little retarded faces till they burst with blood and bone shards, turning into unrecognizable lumps of mangled meat, while their owners extrude their turds and expire, gurgling silently.
:rpgcodex:

Old games tended to have pretty much equal level of detail everywhere, often tuned to the resolution, new games, especially cross platform ones, try to appeal to graphicswhores with all the tech used, but at the same time are restricted by archaic memory constraints. They try to make up for that by hiding ridiculously blurry textures beneath thick layer of -maps - plastic props ensue. The funny thing is that consoletards are not subjected to this in full force, since their next-gen "HD" is lightyears behind even Build-engine and its contemporary monitors in terms of display resolution.
I find myself agreeing with you more often than not, but rarely has somebody put my opinion in words so masterfully. I wholeheartedly agree.
Thanks.
:salute: :love:

Considering the Witcher 2 already manages to have most faces, armor, weapons and many backround graphics look good it can only be another 10 years of 3D development before they manage to come up with consistently good graphics. But maybe I'm too optimistic :rpgcodex:
That's not as much matter of good graphics, but of consistent detail level.
See DA2 non-essential NPCs for a glaring counterexample. If a game has patchy, crap/awesome appearance, it's jarring. You can't focus on well looking stuff, because every once in a while something horribly crappy floats into your FOV and demolishes the illusion of the world. And you can't adjust and come into terms with crappy graphics like you can in old games, because you're constantly exposed to high detail elements that disrupt your adjustment.

Also, it's worth of note that textures can confer more detail and more uniformly than geometry (that's their whole point, damn it!), even though they are less resistant to scaling (like due to perspective), so wrapping new geometry in >10y.o. textures doesn't work, while doing other way around might.

Finally, maps of all sorts are typically using textures, IIRC, so, while useful, they are not going to add any additional detail beyond that added by textures. If your textures are extremely low res, the maps will also be low ress and they will give your models distinct, half-molten looks of really low budget plastic props.

Yay for immersion, I presume.

Shannow

Waster of Time
DraQ said:
See DA2 non-essential NPCs for a glaring counterexample. If a game has patchy, crap/awesome appearance, it's jarring. You can't focus on well looking stuff, because every once in a while something horribly crappy floats into your FOV and demolishes the illusion of the world. And you can't adjust and come into terms with crappy graphics like you can in old games, because you're constantly exposed to high detail elements that disrupt your adjustment.

Also, it's worth of note that textures can confer more detail and more uniformly than geometry (that's their whole point, damn it!), even though they are less resistant to scaling (like due to perspective), so wrapping new geometry in >10y.o. textures doesn't work, while doing other way around might.

Finally, maps of all sorts are typically using textures, IIRC, so, while useful, they are not going to add any additional detail beyond that added by textures. If your textures are extremely low res, the maps will also be low ress and they will give your models distinct, half-molten looks of really low budget plastic props.

Yeah, well, not knowing anything about the actual technical side of stuff (and not pretending like I do, shocking on the codex, right?) I do notice the huge discrepancies between eg faces and armor or faces and shrubbery, etc. Since consistently crappy textures in a modern 3D game won't make me forget how beautiful ToEE looked even nearly a decade ago, the requirement seems to be consistently good, high resolution textures. Since they are not used, there seem to be technical restrictions and/or the effort involved is simply immense and nobody is willing to put it in. Even TW2, which has the best 3D graphics I've seen so far, suffers from lots of low-res textures and a closed in corridor feel (and non-zoomable camera, but at least it has mouse-look unlike a certain other recent release...).
Considering the the baby-step improvements in 3D games in the last 10 years, it'll take them at least another 10 years to consistently make games that actually look as good, as ToEE2 could have looked in 2005/6 if the industry hadn't given up on "dated" 2D graphics...
2 decades lost to stubborn ignorance :?

Santander02

Arcane
This one of the reasons why I think high quality 2D art or stylized 3D graphics look much better than mediocre "realistic" graphics, and the first two don't need supercomputers to run them and look good either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shannow said:
Considering the the baby-step improvements in 3D games in the last 10 years, it'll take them at least another 10 years to consistently make games that actually look as good, as ToEE2 could have looked in 2005/6 if the industry hadn't given up on "dated" 2D graphics...
Is there really a significant difference in quality in the following two pics?
ozHqC.jpg

Negqf.jpg

Seems as though 3D graphics would be all right if they didn't insist on zooming in all the time.

Ludo

Educated
This is borderline off topic, but I think the most uncanny valleyish video game npcs are to be found in Pathologic. It might even have been intentional come to think of it.

ever

Scholar
Guys.

3D is favored over 2D for two reasons:

The z-dimension can add to gameplay in a lot of genres. I don't think this needs explaining. You can mimic the z-dimension in various ways with a two dimensional graphics system ( isometric grids ), but you don't get the real deal. E.g. how on earth would Quake or Homeworld work in 2D?

In games where the z-dimension is not so important, It's a lot cheaper ( not to mention more intuitive ) to produce assets for 3D systems, and they're far, far, far more reusable.

I think everyone knows that high quality two dimensional backgrounds pre-rendered or hand drawn look much better than 3D. But the pretty pictures are not worth the extra costs and gameplay constraints.

Also of note is that dynamic direct lighting and many global illumination techniques are only possible with three dimensional data of some kind.

Ludo said:
This is borderline off topic, but I think the most uncanny valleyish video game npcs are to be found in Pathologic. It might even have been intentional come to think of it.

I'm a big fan of Thief NPCs in this way. Sharp blocky men with nice fluid motion captured animations. It looks rather freakish and I love it.

Most developers of today are simply working way beyond their level of commitment. They want fantastic graphics and all the other high tech stuff in the game, but the implementation consists of a few high res models, a few good textures, a whole lot of realistically-functioning lighting, put together to look OK in certain contexts and angles, but they're kidding themselves in thinking that such a patchy effort looks like more than a rushed, patchy effort. They don't have the means nor the commitment to see those features through to an all-round high quality presentation.

I have no doubt we could achieve some extremely impressive and fully graphically-realised games today given a large enough budget, but it won't be a game. Just a tech demo. Those priorities are what movies are for.

Aim lower, achieve something with visual integrity and clarity, and do so with a proper artistic direction. That game will age brilliantly.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
ever said:
Guys.

3D is favored over 2D for two reasons:

The z-dimension can add to gameplay in a lot of genres. I don't think this needs explaining. You can mimic the z-dimension in various ways with a two dimensional graphics system ( isometric grids ), but you don't get the real deal. E.g. how on earth would Quake or Homeworld work in 2D?

In games where the z-dimension is not so important, It's a lot cheaper ( not to mention more intuitive ) to produce assets for 3D systems, and they're far, far, far more reusable.

I think everyone knows that high quality two dimensional backgrounds pre-rendered or hand drawn look much better than 3D. But the pretty pictures are not worth the extra costs and gameplay constraints.

Also of note is that dynamic direct lighting and many global illumination techniques are only possible with three dimensional data of some kind.
How many nonFPP cRPGs actually use the z-dimension and use stuff like destructible terrain, grass that reacts to player's movements, etc, though?
As for the assets - it was solved by ToEE which used 3D critters.

ever

Scholar
Not many use the z-dimension to good effect. Even in 3D engines, the z-dimension is usually crippled like in Dungeon Siege where, even though you can have slopes, you have to have "height levels".

The other stuff you mention are physics and to date I do not know of any computer role playing game that uses that well.

In other genres these things are far more essential, which also explains why it took longer for roleplaying games to make the switch.

I don't know why it is. In my eyes role playing games are quite stuck in the past in terms of design. There haven't really been any visionaries to say "oh man check out what we can do with all this new technology". They just sort of do the same thing they've always done.

Assets aren't just characters. They're things like furniture, doors, walls, grass, animals, trees etc. etc.

Baldur's Gate solved this by pre rendering 3D and using that as a 2D backdrop.

Keep in mind anything requiring pre-computation is a pain in the ass to change, especially if it has gameplay consequences. This is a large cost.

Also unless you are going with a tile system, in 2D it's not possible to have dynamic lighting. Two examples of 2D games that used dynamic tile based lighting to great effect were X-Com and Diablo I. But these games had ( arguably, I actually value the dynamic lighting a lot ) worse graphics than games using backgrounds. In 3D this problem solves itself.

So I stand by what I said in regards to 3D adding more gameplay possiblities ( there are a lot of games that used 3D to great effect I listed some, I'll throw anohter out: Thief, Theif would be far worse in 2D ), although you can't blame the extra dimension for it not being used properly in computer role playing games. Blame unimaginative developers.

I also stand by what I said in costs. If you bring tile based engines into the picture the difference is not so large. However because of the reusable assets at the sort of sub model level like reusing textures, skeletons and so on the costs of developing 3D scales much better.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Roguey said:
Shannow said:
*shitugly*
*finealthoughToEEforsomereasondoesn'tlookniceinscreenshots*
Seems as though 3D graphics would be all right if they didn't insist on zooming in all the time.
Seems like 3D looks like shit even when it has more years of technical advancement to back it up.

As for the Z-axis:
The majority of 3D RPGs don't make use of Z-Axis gameplay wise. Freedom Forces is the only game of the kind that I'd even suggest for 2D (read: anyone who assumes I want 2D for aRPGs like Gothic is a moron). And games like JA2 manage the Z-axis perfectly well although they are 2D.

And is ever trying to tell me, that 2D like ToEE or BG2 cost so much more than modern 3D that the budgets of modern games needed to soar into ridiculous realms while game length has been reduced to 1/3 - 1/6? Will that even make me LOL? I think not.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only game doing Z axis well was Silent storm where every building and obstacle was destructable and rotating the map was indeed tacticaly useful, stilll X-Com 2 did the same with 2D models and sprites. 3D graphics will be close to uncanny valley in two Fuck box generations time which means no sooner than 10 years. provided that in ten years time we'll have spare resources to do 3D civilian games. :roll:

DraQ

Arcane
Shannow said:
DraQ said:

Yeah, well, not knowing anything about the actual technical side of stuff
Well, you don't really need to be an expert when it comes to technicalities, being perceptive fellow with some minimal knowledge suffices.
It's not that simple. First, there is a metric fuckload of things 2D graphics simply can't do. And it's mostly interesting stuff, although sadly underutilized in most games.

Second, modern 3D, even half assed, is vastly more detailed than 2D. It's just that the perspective tends to expose non-detailed bits more.

Third, 2D has peaked long ago. It wouldn't really improve because it can't really improve. Pretty much the perfection in 2D raster graphics is pixel art. The problem with pixel art is that development cost and storage requirements shoot beyond hilariously retarded and "are you fucking insane?" the moment you start improving resolution and colour depth. A bit worse in theory, but infinitely more practical and still fucking impressive in right hands is using some powerful raster graphics software like photoshop. There are still storage requirements and lack of reusability, though. To combat these, you can do two things - first, you can cut your assets into small, reusable pieces, second, you can apply all sorts of aftereffects, like having game calculate shadows rather than drawing them by hand, but then you run into a simple problem - whatever you do can be done simpler and better in 3D, because, for example, there is no way you can deform a shadow according to the shape of terrain if there is no shape of terrain encoded and it's all just a picturesque bitmap. And then there is pre-rendering stuff, which has the only advantage of being capable of displaying stuff modern hardware can't but at huge price of nearly zero flexibility. It was viable back when game farted blood when it had to display several textured, Gouraud shaded polys, but now the well made graphics can look really good, the problem is relative lack of well-made graphics.

Now the problem is not 3D, the problem is mindlessly applying hardware tricks thinking they will solve all the problems. They won't. Specular maps on everything just makes everything looks like cheap plastic casts. Likewise, parallax maps aren't fix-it-all when it comes to lack of detail. Bloom doesn't make everything look awesome nor realistic. And nothing, absolutely nothing will help if you have shit textures.

The first textures were just that - non-specific bitmaps that helped to convey what kind of surface you were looking at. Then, it was noticed that you can add a lot of detail to your 3D geometry if you paint it on as good old 2D raster graphics and textures in modern sense were born. Notice the keywords: 'lot' and 'detail'. The whole point of texture is adding detail, in other words it is only effective if it's much more detailed than your geometry. All the modern -maps are just an extension of the idea of texture, the may paint on additional spatial detail by working as a height map on the surface of the model, change reflectivity selectively and so on, but they are still stored in raster format, meaning big pixels in, fugly shit out. Take a look on wireframes of models in an old game, say Unreal. Now take a look at actual, textured models in game - see the difference? Now do the same in oblivious.

Lastly, there are well known tricks that some developers just plain ignore for no apparent reason, for example detail textures. Detail textures are pretty much going back to the root of the texturing - non-specific texture rather than details typical of some particular object. They are used by applying the same texture in smaller and smaller versions recursively upon an already existing one. It's a simple, yet effective way to prevent stuff dissolving into blurry mess up close. It was used to great effect in many games, like Unreal. It's still being used in many games, also to a great effect. But for some reason, it wasn't used in oblivious despite the game urgently needing this kind of attention.

There is a reason why I'm using oblivious all the time, this game was so badly executed in all possible ways, including graphics, that anyone defending it must be a moron.

poetic codex

Augur
I know what the OP is talking about, but I wouldn't call it an uncanny valley effect per se. It's something more personal/subtle than that.

I have always found it curious that I prefer older games graphics wise than newer games, and I have found some ideas about why this is so in my specific case:

1. DX9 vs Dx 10/11. For some reason, if a game gives the option, I find it looks better in DX 9 compared to DX 10/11. Bioshock is the prime example of this. In Dx9 mode with anti-aliasing, the graphics look more impactful,iron has a sense of weight etc. Whereas in dx10 things look cartoony and paper thin. I prefer Rome total war's graphics over Shogun 2 total war for this reason. I can't stand the fake plastic look that the dx 11 pixel shading in Shogun 2 gave the soldiers.

2. Dependence on anti-aliasing. Many newer games look too cartoonish, and tree leaves for example look paper thin and fake without anti-aliasing. 2-d games didn't have such a dependence. Crysis is supposed to be this amazing graphical materpiece, but I couldn't get over how paper thin and cartoony the foliage looked in the jungle area.

3. Iconic graphics vs. pale attempt to imititate reality. Games like thief, system shock, the older tomb raider games etc. did not attempt to imitate reality in their graphics. so they had a consistent artistic design that worked well in immersing me as a player despite the lack of bloom, and fancy pixel shading. I can always look out my window and see better realistic graphics than the pale imitiation that new games attempt. why attempt to imitate reality and always fall short?

4. Blandness of modern graphics. I far preferred Morrowind's graphics over Oblivion's. Oblivion had apparently more modern graphics, but the stale gray brick of the cities and the "walk in the park" feel of the outdoor areas, didn't have half the powerful effect that stepping off from the Silt Strider into Balmora for the first time had on me.

circ

Arcane
Roguey said:
Not sure if serious.
Roguey said:
Looks like some kid did that in kindergarten and the teacher decided to color it and paste in doors/gates from some magazine. Ground texture is horrible. Grass looks like they have who ever lives in that place step on it with their entire family 24 hours a day. Pets included. Copy pasted wall textures yawn. No detail what so ever anywhere. Two boxes and a barrel. Wow. Who ever did this and whatever it's from, was just fucking lazy.
Roguey said:
Seriously? You don't see that as looking like an animated paiting? Trees have variation, size, they look like motherfucking trees. Little details sprinkled everywhere. You're thinking, some dude lives in this cozy little place. But maybe the former picture is supposed to be grimdark?

Roguey said:
Maybe. More detail and an eye for design doesn't hurt either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
circ said:
Trees have variation, size, they look like motherfucking trees.
Not sure if you're serious. Those don't look like any trees I see outside, in the real world, and the leaves are particularly crappy looking.
Maybe. More detail and an eye for design doesn't hurt either.
They both look like toy playsets to me. It's impossible for me to be immersed. Shrug.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Ludo said:
Yes. Especially those bald shopkeepers who stare at you directly, even if there's a wall between you. Then you talk to them and it zooms in a little and the inventory screen pops up without a word. They are vending machines made of flesh.

I don't think it was intentional considering how poorly made the game is, but it did enforce the unique brand of nauseating (in a good way) atmosphere.

meh

Educated
DwarvenFood said:
Pika-Cthulhu said:

This should become an emoticon.

God damn I lol'd :lol:

I feel the same to be honest. Recently, installed TW2 and tried to play with ultra settings and 1920x1080 res, but it looked weird, somewhat artificial and I couldn't stand it. Went to play JA2 instead...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
meh said:
I feel the same to be honest. Recently, installed TW2 and tried to play with ultra settings and 1920x1080 res, but it looked weird, somewhat artificial and I couldn't stand it. Went to play JA2 instead...
And the worst thing is that it's mandatory to buy a supercomputer to be able to enjoy some C&C and some dialogues because of these shitty weirdo graphics.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Super computer? If anything hardware requirements have gotten really lenient in the past couple years. My computer is a couple years old and even then I bought middle of the line hardware, but it can still play new games at max graphics, just sometimes I have to turn down shadows or anti-aliasing.

Yeah. In fact the most common complaint here in the codex is that you can't use your current computer's potential because graphics are being held back by consoles. I have a so-so laptop and I could run DA on medium (maybe high, but I didn't ry)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom