Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Baldurs Gate

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Exploration implies finding stuff. Finding stuff implies skill and/or effort put into it, with possibility of not succeeding, which is not the case with BG.

You raised a few interesting points though I am not sure I can agree with this particular one.

To my mind, exploration does not necessarily have to incorporate an element of skill and possible failure for it to work for the player. Baldurs Gate presents the player with a large region of maps - many of which are entirely optional. Now the important point is that the player can choose to explore a certain map to see what he can find there. And this 'finding stuff' includes more than just a 'sword +1' in it, but interesting places, NPCs etc. The simple fact that a player who chose to explore a certain map he might as well not have explored and then find something of interest on that map will be pleasing to him, even though he just stumbled upon it and put no skill/effort into it. For example a player who explores the region in the west of Nashkel will stumble upon an archeological excavation and a little quest there. Now even though given the fact he arguably could not possibly have missed it (though he could have, by not exploring that map thoroughly or not going to that specific map in the first place) he will still be happy that he went there and found that interesting place. Again, the point being, that he might as well not have gone there. The map is entirely optional and he could have easily skipped it, but he chose to explore it.

The experience to explore the whole game almost completely on his own terms can be rewarding in itself because the player decides to go to a specific place at a specific time - simply to satisfy his own curiosity. It does not necessarily have to be linked to any kind of skill and/or effort. (Though what I just described might as well be called effort put into exploration.)

Lhynn

Arcane
There is exploration in BG and its average, there is exploration in skyrim and its shit.
You want exploration, play exile.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I do not give a crap what you're not getting into or what you like. If you try to make a point, then either live up to the claims you make or admit your ineptitude and accept defeat. And what the fuck do you mean, you "aren't sure" why I keep bringing up PS:T, haven't you yourself said that I keep bringing it up as a counter-example of isometric perspective exploration done right? Do I need to write it in big flaming letters for it to enter your thick skull?

PLANESCAPE TORMENT HAD INTELLIGENT AND CONSISTENT LEVEL DESIGN WHICH COMBINED BOTH QUALITY WRITING AND PRETTY VISUALS TO CREATE A BELIEVABLE, INTERNALLY CONSISTENT, ATMOSPHERIC WORLD POPULATED BY POINTS OF INTEREST WHICH HAD A LOGICAL REASON FOR BEING IN THE LOCATION IN WHICH THEY ARE PLACED, WHEREAS BALDUR'S GATE 1 CONSISTED OF A GREAT NUMBER OF PERFECTLY GENERIC MAPS FILLED FOR THE MOST PART WITH COMPLETELY OUT-OF-CONTEXT QUIRKY ENCOUNTERS THAT HAD LITTLE BACKSTORY, NO IMPACT, AND NO CONNECTION TO THE AREA IN WHICH THEY WERE PLACED.

For fuck's sake.
3857314238_HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Outlands or Baator had some, haha, intelligent level design, ha, oh wow, my sides.

Also BG1's areas, though (some) maybe generic, did not consist of "for the most part completely out-of-context quirky encounters" - what, exactly? Uou've been treadmilling the same bullshit over again. Give some fucking examples.
Little backstory? Maybe. But who the fuck would write dozens of novels explaining these appearing characters? They were not completely devoid of fluff, though. The Ulcaster area. The archeological dig. The gnoll exile. They all had enough description to make them look feasible in their surroundings.
No impact? For the most part, they gave you XP and loot, sometimes very useful. What kind of impact would you want, anyways? They are minor encounters of secondary importance, after all.
No connection to the area they were in? Again, give some fucking examples. Sirens on the coast. Amnish noble hunters in Amnish forests. A rogue gnoll near the gnoll fortress. Bandits near the camp. Shadow Druids in Cloakwood. Wizard obsessed over statues in the basilisk plains.

]Why were they all in a single region? And carrion crawlers were also found outside of caves. In other words, you admit there was no rhyme or reason to the allocation of monsters in BG1. Which means that not only dialogue-based encounters existed in a complete vacuum, but also the combat-based encounters as well. Which really makes me wonder how anyone could enjoy exploring generic maps filled with encounters and combat that have little to no roleplay valu... OOOOH LOOOOK PRETTTYYY MAAPS.
Monster placement had sense. Crawlers were only in caves and on beaches. Humanoids were almost everywhere, as humanoids do. Bandits near bandit camp.

Quality discussion consists of people who are able to provide objective arguments in support of their position, analyzing relevant facts, making logical conclusions, drawing comparisons, and understanding your opponent's position. I have been writing walls of text consisting of all that only to have you and your fuckbuddy up there ignore inconvenient parts, and use every sort of ad hominem, demagogy, misrepresentation, hilariously over-pompous chest-beating, and generally every dirty trick from the armchair forum dicksucktion expert's handbook to try and defend something which does not need be defended. Now go clean up.
:butthurt:

you really are a sad little georgian.

tl;dr:
oPsqofm.gif
liberal gonna liberal.

Glyphwright

Outlands or Baator had some, haha, intelligent level design, ha, oh wow, my sides.
You're a fairly stupid little shit, aren't you? Outlands and Baator were two short portions of the game found near the end that had no encounters and only served to connect us to Fjhull and Pillar of Skulls. I don't know whether they were supposed to be bigger but were cut for lack of time/resources, but in any case - who gives a shit? The whole game (including Curst) is well-designed, it can have a couple areas you just rush through. Nobody is perfect. Got any more desperate arguments?

Also BG1's areas, though (some) maybe generic, did not consist of "for the most part completely out-of-context quirky encounters" - what, exactly? Uou've been treadmilling the same bullshit over again. Give some fucking examples.
Are you some kind of idiotic troll? I've given examples. Do you not know how to read?

Stop. Just... just stop. There are hundreds of random encounters in BG, and of these it is easy to pick five that are convenient to you. I even said as much in the beginning - there are a few encounters that are integrated into the world, but most of them are not. Most encounters are of the sort: paladin wants you to kill gibberlings - can be placed anywhere, kid is looking for berries - can be placed anywhere, random guy is killed for boots - can be placed anywhere, ogre mage from Baator in disguise - can be placed anywhere, nobleman asks for helps against bear - can be placed anywhere, farmer asks to kill a bunch of zombies - can be placed anywhere, stargazer mumbles a bunch of nods towards the upcoming Neverwinter Nights game - can be placed anywhere, prophet realizes that you are child of Bhaal and runs away - can be placed anywhere, merchant tries to sell you cursed items - can be placed anywhere, a group of kobolds give you autographs - can be placed anywhere, woman asks you to save her wounded lover - can be placed anywhere. Basically, this is 90% of the encounters in BG - writers straining their minds to fill the quota of encounter per map.

- Dabron Sanshenstar appears if you killed his brother previously. Why does he appear at this particular spot? No reason, he could just as easily turn up in any other part of the city.
- Lothander gives you the quest about poison. Why does he appear at this particular spot? No reason, he could just as easily turn up in any other part of the city.
- Felonius manor has a party of adventurers turned to stone you can turn back to flesh. Why do they appear at this particular spot? No reason, they could just as easily turn up in any other part of the city.
- Poultry story with 20 chickens that attack you (hello, useless out-of-context quirky characters). Why do they appear at this particular spot? No reason, they could just as easily turn up in any other part of the city.
- Nadine gives you a fedex quest about her son and an amulet. Why does she appear at this particular spot? No reason, she could just as easily turn up in any other part of the city.
- Lady Hannah tells you about evil mage Ragefast. Why does she appear at this particular spot? No reason, she could just as easily turn up in any other part of the city.

Obviously, I'm not going to list every single encounter in the game. It's enough that two completely randomly selected areas almost entirely consisted of context-free random encounters. Here's some more:

Peldvale
http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/peldvale.php
peldvale.jpg

A brilliant area that consists of a wide empty bandit-infested generic forest with three encounters dotted in a straight line. If you've never played this area before, have fun tearing through armies of bandits only to find pretty much nothing outside the upper edge of the map. At least Baator and Outland were alignment-themed planes that were kind of unique and interesting to traverse just for what they are, this is yet another generic forest out of 100+ generic forests/mountains/plateaus we see in BG1.
- Viconia is being chased by Flaming Fists Mercenaries. Why is she found in Peldvale, of all places? No reason, she could just as easily be in Larswood. Or Firewine. Or any random area away from civilization. You'd think that a fresh-out-of-the-underdark drow would prefer to stay underground in some dungeon, but no she's just there in broad daylight, completely unconnected to the area she's populating.
- Palin, a man who will tell you how his uncle, an adventurer, got eaten by a huge monster who ambushed his party. Apparently, this is a reference to the medieval parody "Jabberwocky" played by the British actor Michael Palin. Pointless? Yup. Quirky? Yup. A parody-reference? Yup. No roleplaying value or connection to the world? Yep. No impact? Uhuh. Go fuck yourself, hovermoron? You betcha.
- Raiken, a bandit leader who actually has a reason to be in this area. Hallelujah!

Larswood
http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/larswood.php
larswood.jpg

An even more brilliant area, this time consisting of an even more empty bandit-infested generic forest with TWO encounters. Both encounters have a reason to be here, but I'm just showing how intelligent and consistent level design is throughout the entire BG1 (as opposed to two areas in the end of Planescape). Have I mentioned that these areas are not optional (you have to visit at least one to progress further into the story)? Oh, joy! Good job making us tear through near-total emptiness, Bioware, we liked that in the gajillion other areas you provided for us. No-no, we won't criticize you for this or anything - we're butthurt fanboys! Instead, let's focus some more on Baator and Outlands! Oh that unrepresentative 1% of Planescape Torment sucked so much, worst game evah!

AR4400 (South of Ulcaster)
http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/ar4400.php
ar4400.jpg

- Sarhedra, a dwarven fighter who asks you to kill the ogres at location. Why is this brilliant fetch quest located at this particular spot? No reason - Bioware was just filling out its quota.
- The ogres you need to kill. See above.
- Hulrik, a farmer asking you to save his cow. Why is this brilliant fetch quest located at this particular spot? No reason - Bioware was just filling out its quota.
- Cave with an ettercap and bloodstone amulet. Why is this brilliant pieceof storytelling located at this particular spot? No reason - Bioware was just filling out its quota.
- Bandits asking for your gold. Good thing we established the Sword Coast is populated by bandits - now whenever we're running short on our encounter quota, we can just place random bandits to attack you! What about all those generic bandits who attacked you without initiating in dialogue and asking for gold, were they just stupid?

AR4600 (North of Gnoll Stronghold)
http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/ar4600.php
ar4600.jpg

- Jared, a nobleman asks you to save him from a mountain bear. Why is this brilliant fetch quest located at this particular spot? No reason - Bioware was just filling out its quota.
- Laurel, a paladin asks you to kill gibberlings. Why is this brilliant fetch quest located at this particular spot? No reason - Bioware was just filling out its quota.
- Neville, a bandit who steals your gold or attacks you! I'm starting to see a pattern here.

AR5200 (Southwest of Nashkel)
http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/ar5200.php
ar5200.jpg

- Gnolls are found here because it's adjacent to the Gnoll Stronghold. Not terribly interesting, but okay.
- Drienne asks you to find her cat, Pixie. Why is this brilliant fetch quest located at this particular spot? No reason - Bioware was just filling out its quota.
- Dryad asks you to protect her oak. Why is this brilliant fetch quest located at this particular spot? No reason - Bioware was just filling out its quota.

So basically, yeah. Whenever in doubt - insert random fetch quest/quirky parody reference. If lucky, you can shove one or two "bandits asking for gold" encounters. If not, make shit up.

Monster placement had sense. Crawlers were only in caves and on beaches. Humanoids were almost everywhere, as humanoids do. Bandits near bandit camp.
Humanoids everywhere like humanoids do? Lol idiot. Yeah, the list of monsters is a bit longer than the two examples you handpicked because you're stupid. More unfounded statements please? Also, why are carrion crawlers found at the beach? What's the connection?

Well, you certainly seem to be. Monster placement had seeeeense!! :cry: (ignores vast majority of monsters)

A good way to sum up your shitpost. Please, throw more fanboyish butthurt my way.

Exploration implies finding stuff. Finding stuff implies skill and/or effort put into it, with possibility of not succeeding, which is not the case with BG.

The difference is that traversing the gameworld is trivial in BG, so is handling terrain obstacles.

In a game like BG you'll never wonder:
  • if you can get somewhere
  • how to get there
  • is there anything there
  • is it worth getting there
Everything is neatly packed in a rectangular bounding box of the map. Nothing sticks out, places are either reachable or not, and if they are reachable, there is a straightforward path to do so by walking. Nothing is also hidden in a way making it only possible to find upon closed inspection - objects either lie in plain sight (on their own or in obvious container) or they are completely hidden in scenery with nothing to clue you in, but mouseover, which reduces search to mechanically sweeping your mouse all over the screen (unless you're using BG2 engine, then all hotspots are made obvious by holding Alt or whatever). Other maps are accessible by simply reaching corresponding edge of the map.

You'll also never come closer to get a better view, because distance doesn't impact perspective in an iso game.

If BG had been an actual 3D game with free movement, it could have had exploration. It also could have had exploration if it had been a 2D iso game without discrete maps covering relatively small area. Hell, it could have had exploration if it merely used puzzles, triggers, some hiden and some obvious, mixed with red herrings, although it would be less spatial, more textual mode of exploration - I still don't know if there is anything to find in that round tomb with acid trap in PS:T.

I already replied about this line of thinking to someone else in the thread, but I will repeat it here: This is a valid train of thought capped off by the wrong conclusion. You are outlining some ways in which 1st/3rd person perspective is potentially superior to an isometric one (potentially, because I am fairly cynical as to how much most games with that perspective actually implement what you are talking about, in my experience, exploration in most of those is not much more challenging than in isometric ones), and that's fine, nothing wrong with that logic. However, the problem is when you and others take this to mean that isometric exploration (the way it's done in BG1 or in general) is therefore incapable of being good. A being potentially better than B does not show that B is bad. In order to show that B is bad, you have to demonstrate that the difference between A and B includes some threshold, below which B must necessarily suck. You try to do this with your personal definition of what good exploration entails: "skill and/or effort put into it, with possibility of not succeeding". Since any kind of exploration, even isometric one involves effort (walking around, choosing where to go, etc), we can narrow that down to skill and possibility of failure, which I take to mean challenge. However, as I mentioned, this is your personal definition of good exploration, and I happen to disagree with it. I am not against adding challenge to exploration, but it is not, in my opinion, a prerequisite for a good exploration system. Challenge is required for enjoyment in certain systems, such as combat, because you are stuck with a relatively small set of combat actions that are repeated over and over, so there needs to be something else to keep the player interested. Other types of system, such as dialogue and exploration do not necessarily require challenge to be enjoyable, though you may certainly argue that they would benefit from it. The reason for that is that in these systems, player can be entertained in other ways than just by being challenged or having to do something actively. You can read the dialogue in games with good writing, and enjoy it despite not having to apply your skill, or not ever failing, because the content provides the enjoyment. Likewise, with exploration, things like variety and uniqueness in regard to the kind of stuff you find, as well as a generally pleasant process (such as uncovering beautiful and distinctive hand painted vistas as you move around) can supply ample enjoyment to the player on their own.

I don't make "some points", I explain how BG doesn't have the most basic features that exploration consists of. Clicking somewhere and watching your party pathfind its way as the fog of war clears out doesn't leave the impression that you are exploring, because you are not putting any effort into traversing the landscape or making a judgement as to where you are headed next.

The basic features of exploration are moving around, scanning the area around you, and finding things of interest. BG1 definitely has those. You are constantly making judgements as to where you are headed next, both in terms of maps, and inside each one. To move around, you are actually putting effort into it, but if you mean challenge, read what I wrote above.

I did not say isometric exploration must suck and should be avoided - I said it requires a different approach than dividing the world into a large number of adjacent tiles and then throwing 3-5 instances of quirky out-of-context randomness that has nothing to do with anything to fill out a quota. It requires a much greater use of storytelling and interesting locations and encounters that actually add to the realism of the world they inhabit.

I am glad you removed the pop-culture bit out of the quirky out of context label, it's a step in the right direction, the quirky and out-of-context bits should follow next. Most points of interest are neither particularly quirky nor out-of-context in terms of the game world. In a manner similar to most of your arguments, you've erected this strawman of in-context meaning relevant to the specific zone, whereas I (and I suspect many others) would simply define in-context as being relevant to the game world. Zone based context is better than world based context in absolute terms of course, but the latter is more than enough to make encounters not feel out of context or random. Since, as I already mentioned before, this is more of an open world game and not a tight story driven one like PS:T, and NPCs have to be spread out over a much larger world, with emptiness actually positively contributing to exploration by proving contrast, the fact that the encounters aren't always tightly related to other encounters in the same zone does not diminish my enjoyment of the exploration aspects of the game. Would BG1 have been better if every encounter in every optional zone had a lengthy bit of dialogue and was tied in to every other encounter in that zone? Probably (as long as there weren't too many per zone, since this would kill the feeling of exploration). But what it did have in terms of variety, uniqueness, humor, player reward(loot), and beauty (vistas) was more than enough for me to enjoy the exploration aspect.

Gothic and Morrowind can get away with having mountain ranges or forests that are filled with pretty much nothing but themselves because exploring a beautifully drawn world in 3D is an engaging process in itself. The same cannot be said of BG1.

Yet another statement based on your own biases and assumptions. Have you considered that what engages others might be different than what engages you, and that for many people, the combination of encounter variety, combat, and the beautiful 2D maps was very engaging?

... attempt #1345 to undermine BG1's exploration by comparing it to an otherwise great game that had almost no exploration at all...

... followed by some large angry red text ..

First of all, you should try to relax. Your anger seems to be growing the longer this discussion goes on, and I wouldn't want you to explode and beat up your cat or something in a violent fit of nerdrage. Remember, it's just video games.

Secondly, as I already mentioned, your constant reference to PS:T in regards to BG1 exploration is just silly. You cannot make points about a game system in game A by bringing up game B that doesn't really have that system. It the same's as if I started critiquing ToEE combat by bringing up PS:T's combat, because you know, Sigil is better designed than Hommlet. PS:T is great in terms of writing and integration of dialogue into the game and quest design and all that, but no one would suggest it for people looking for either a good exploration or combat game, so please stop beating this dead horse.

Metatron

Augur
The exploration in PS:T is fine. Good exploration does not equal roaming the countryside on oversized maps pixelhunting for 2 points of interest that usually aren't all that interesting and are as Glyph pointed out most of the time totally disconnected from eachother. You seem to think about good exploration in purely quantitative terms while this is all pretty meaningless when most encounters are pretty slight and if you're lucky give you a bland fetch quest that isn't really tied to the rest of the world usually given in hastily written dialogue with no choices whatsoever, something that unfortunatly happens way too often in BG1. Glyph might be a dumbfuck but your arguments are pretty similar to people defending Elder Scrolls games.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Is there any complex RPG you cannot cheese your way through if that's your intent?
I cannot argue. You're right, but this game required me to savescum the most.
I, personally, play BG games without cheese as much as possible, I will wade into the fight full on, instead of pulling people one at a time, and the fights are fun then.
I can see how it's possible in BG1 but please tell me how the hell did you guys beat party of beholders(5-6 in most cases)in their caves? Fuckers were nightmare. They would turn you into stone,kill you instantly,charm,confuse your characters while bombing your party. You have to cast the required protective spells with cleric before every encounter or you're basically fucked. Btw did i mentioned they can dispel your protective spells too? Because they fucking can do that too bro!

Combat is too fast in this game especially against big party of status effect dealing enemies. You are guaranteed to lose at some encounters if you are not a paranoid maniac(Especially true if your main character is a mage just like mine) so most players finish the game through meta gaming with savescumming.
(I modded the game with some kind of mod pack years ago to allow me play BG1 with the engine of the second game and continue with my character so this is probably an modified version)
Wizards and dragons are mere weaklings compared to the terror of an beholder party man.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Been a while since I played BG2, but IIRC the solution is to buff your best fighters with Haste and any other spells that increase physical damage output, and protect them with either Scrolls of Magic Immunity or Potions of Invulnerability. These items are rare, but the Beholder Cave is definitely one of the places were you need to use them. IIRC only the Elder Orbs can dispel all magic protection; normal Beholders can't.
Animate Dead should also be a somewhat useful meat shield since they are immune to Death and Stoning attacks.

Using the Shield of Balduran is of course major cheese, but I will assume experienced players use one of the mods that de-cheese the shield, like SCS2.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I must aplaude your diligence and long ass winded retorts Glyphwright but why all the anger? BG must have you waking up in feverish nightmares with its poor design or something but take it easy buddy...it is just a game right and it is supposed to be fun, just calm down son. You must be stuck in your basement under a snowfall drinking vodka and wishing you where at the beach or sucking under a huge pair of tits (or balls depending your tastes) but take it easy on probably one of the few channels of comunication you might have...I could only imagine your loss if the Codex banned your ass for your raging badassery

Glyphwright

The basic features of exploration are moving around, scanning the area around you, and finding things of interest.
The basic feature of exploration in a video game is maintaining interest in the area you are traversing, which is impossible to do when you can neither appreciate your character's movement through landscape due to the static bids-eye view of isometric 2D, nor remain invested in the encounters because the absolute majority of them are extremely generic out-of-context fetch quests or quirky pop-culture references (plenty of examples above). Since traversing the maps of BG1 offers no challenges and no quality storytelling, it is reduced to a tedious process of clearing the fog of war.

BG1 definitely has those. You are constantly making judgements as to where you are headed next, both in terms of maps, and inside each one
You do not have to make any judgement as to where you are headed next in the absolute majority of outdoor locations in Baldur's Gate because each map is a rectangular flat surface which needs to be cleared of the fog of war before you can be certain you are not missing any encounters. There are very few maps which require active judgement as to where you should be headed next, these include Gnoll Stronghold and Durlag's Tower, almost of the others are identically-shaped flat surfaces which are traversed in exactly the same way - run across perimeter and finally venture into the center. Following any other trajectory will inevitably result in numerous chunks of the map obscured by the fog of war, require incredible amounts of backtracking, and further inflating the already tremendous tedium.

I am glad you removed the pop-culture bit out of the quirky out of context label, it's a step in the right direction, the quirky and out-of-context bits should follow next. Most points of interest are neither particularly quirky nor out-of-context in terms of the game world. In a manner similar to most of your arguments, you've erected this strawman of in-context meaning relevant to the specific zone, whereas I (and I suspect many others) would simply define in-context as being relevant to the game world.
I will answer the rest of your incredibly vapid and pointless post later, but first off, what the hell are you even talking about calling my argument a "strawman"? Is strawman your universal euphemism for "poopy-head" that you use regardless of the term's actual meaning? Because you know, strawman actually means something. Specifically, a strawman is a deliberate misrepresentation of your opponent's argument that makes it easier for you to maintain the pretense of having a valid point, which is what you are doing every time you ignore numerous essential parts of my post and focus on misrepresenting selected lines ripped out of their context. Whether you agree with my definition of out-of-context encounter or not, it is not a strawman, because it is not a misrepresentation of your argument. Nor is it a correct interpretation of your argument. It is in fact NOT YOUR ARGUMENT TO MAKE, it's mine. I was originally the one to suggest that most of BG1's encounters are out-of-context randomness that has nothing to do with its location, and you were the one to disagree with that. Stop saying "strawman" whenever you don't like something and have nothing better to say, it's not a generic insult. Words mean things. Period.

I am glad you removed the pop-culture bit out of the quirky out of context label, it's a step in the right direction, the quirky and out-of-context bits should follow next. Most points of interest are neither particularly quirky nor out-of-context in terms of the game world. In a manner similar to most of your arguments, you've erected this strawman of in-context meaning relevant to the specific zone, whereas I (and I suspect many others) would simply define in-context as being relevant to the game world. Zone based context is better than world based context in absolute terms of course, but the latter is more than enough to make encounters not feel out of context or random. Since, as I already mentioned before, this is more of an open world game and not a tight story driven one like PS:T, and NPCs have to be spread out over a much larger world, with emptiness actually positively contributing to exploration by proving contrast, the fact that the encounters aren't always tightly related to other encounters in the same zone does not diminish my enjoyment of the exploration aspects of the game. Would BG1 have been better if every encounter in every optional zone had a lengthy bit of dialogue and was tied in to every other encounter in that zone? Probably (as long as there weren't too many per zone, since this would kill the feeling of exploration). But what it did have in terms of variety, uniqueness, humor, player reward(loot), and beauty (vistas) was more than enough for me to enjoy the exploration aspect.
Since the game world is a city and surrounding countryside of Forgotten Realms, a generic high fantasy theme park that has EVERYTHING its numerous authors could be bothered to cram into it, you are making the argument very easy for yourself, because pretty much any sort of quirky randomness Bioware opts to include in the game world will be in some way connected to it. When your world is a faceless hunk of pseudo-medieval randomness, your standards for what counts as an in-context encounter are reduced down to floor level, which definitely counts as a butthurt fanboy's desperate last line of defense, but is not the approach that leads to quality storytelling. The task of defining a game world and giving it its own unique identity lies on the shoulders of the game developing team regardless of whether they are doing their own setting, or basing it in someone else's. Since virtually every optional area in BG1 is about as faceless and interchangeable as the other, it is only natural that just about every encounter is as generic and interchangeable as the other. You may subjectively enjoy tearing through 20 pieces of the countryside filled with 100 generic fetch quests, but that is the problem of your level of mental development. Quality storytelling requires higher standards that random paladins asking you to kill random gibberlings in a random forest in exchange for random loot - none of these elements are connected with each other, they come out of nowhere and vanish into nothing. What you in the depths of your dementia call "low-key encounters hit ass and legs omg itz heaven" normal people would call "lazy-ass bullshit".

So yeah, quality storytelling requires the game world to have locations with an identity and to be composed of elements that are meaningfully connected to each other, as well as said identity. You know who else agrees with me? BIOWARE. Bioware agrees with me. How do I know this? Because in Baldur's Gate 2 Bioware completely dropped the "20 generic maps" system and instead opted to reduce the total number of areas in exchange for making each area more interesting, giving each area its own unique identity, face, and place in the world, populating them with encounters and quests that have a reason for being in that particular area rather than being perfectly interchangeable. This is why in BG1 the Baldur's Gate city is composed of completely faceless segments that can only be defined according to their geographic position (north-west, north-east, center, south) and therefore contain completely generic encounters that can just as easily be swapped around with no logical problems arising, whereas in BG2 the city of Athkatla has a Merchant district, a Dock district, a Government district, and so on - each district was given its own identity in order to create more integrated encounters and improve storytelling quality. This is why in BG2 when you travel to Whiny Girl's Keep you do not have to traverse 20 generic country-side maps, but rather travel directly to Whiny Girl's Keep and begin exploring an outdoor location that actually has relevance to the game's (side-) storyline, a backstory that explains its current state (there's actually a reason it is overrun by trolls), and after you are done exploring you can make a few choices which will change the location's state accordingly. Identity, backstory, and impact - all the things that are missing from BG1.

You think these things are all a complete coincidence, or are you simply too big of a butthurt fanboy to analyze the difference between BG1 and its sequel, and decide that since you remember yourself enjoying playing BG1 in your youth when grass was greener and water was wetter, then it must automatically be the bestest thing evah that is beyond criticism and having flaws? Baldur's Gate 1 was Biowhore's first and very ambitious attempt at making a roleplaying game, it was very good for what it was in its own time period and raised the standards for CRPG to a new level, however it also suffered from a number of flaws that make it a questionable candidate for replaying. These flaws/shotcomings include a very primitive dialogue system - many dialogues are simply a paragraph of exposition with the "end dialogue button" which doesn't even let your character say anything, and even when you can the dialogue options are rarely interesting enough, a near-total lack of interaction with party members, and, of course, A TEDIOUS AND REPETITIVE PROCESS OF TRAVERSING FACELESS GENERIC AREAS POPULATED BY OUT-OF-CONTEXT QUIRKY ENCOUNTERS THAT WERE COMPLETELY INTERCHANGEABLE WITH ONE ANOTHER BECAUSE OF HOW LITTLE THEY HAD TO DO WITH THEIR PLACEMENT. They fixed these flaws to various degrees of success in the game's sequel, which is why it is BG2 that is usually lauded as an example of a CRPG done right that more than lives up to modern standards of computer roleplaying, rather than BG1 which hasn't aged well in terms of storytelling quality.

Yet another statement based on your own biases and assumptions. Have you considered that what engages others might be different than what engages you, and that for many people, the combination of encounter variety, combat, and the beautiful 2D maps was very engaging?
Have you considered that the reason we are getting one shitty-ass RPG like Oblivion, Faggout 3, Faggot AIDS and Ass Defect after another today is because, while nerds intelligent people are engaged by quality storytelling, unique game-world, complex story, interesting characters, and choices&consequences, OTHERS (morons) are more interested in playing as an awesome-ass guy who throws bad-ass lightning at nasty-ass monsters to get epic-ass Sword of Trembling Anuses? Have you considered that most gamers that purchase roleplaying games today are not even capable of thinking in terms of "my character is this and that, he likes that and this, and in this circumstance would choose to do this but definitely not that", and rather seek ways of exploiting the game engine to get most experience, bestest loot, Achievement "Sucked 20 Dicks for Money" and reach 130% accomplishment status? Have you considered that someone who claims to enjoy traversing faceless generic maps filled with out-of-context quirky encounters just because OOOOOHHH LOOOOK PRETTY MAPSES LOW KEY HITTING ASS AND LEG is either not very honest with himself, or has extremely shallow tastes in storytelling/roleplaying?

Secondly, as I already mentioned, your constant reference to PS:T in regards to BG1 exploration is just silly. You cannot make points about a game system in game A by bringing up game B that doesn't really have that system. Planescape Torment had almost no exploration.
What's silly is that, despite having no arguments and no examples to the contrary, you keep using tendentious language to maintain a pretense of having a point. First off, even by your own extremely shallow and incorrect standards, Planescape Torment had plenty of exploration. This is what you said: "The basic features of exploration are moving around, scanning the area around you, and finding things of interest." PST didn't let you move around? PST didn't let you scan the area around yourself? PST didn't let you find things of interest? It did? THEN WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING CLAIMING PST HAD ALMOST NO EXPLORATION, EVEN YOUR STATEMENT DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS THIS CRETINOUS CLAIM.

Second, just because the majority of PST was set in one city and had little to no country-side to explore, it doesn't mean PST had no exploration. PST had a number of large and highly unique city areas - four Hive Ward Areas, Ragpicker Square, underground village, dead warrens, Lower Ward, Clerk Ward, Curst, Carceri, two Mazes, and many other both exterior and interior areas, and even Outlands and Baator which, despite being empty of optional encounters, gripped your interest through the sheer surrealism and uniqueness of their landscape and culminated in extremely story-relevant, highly memorable, and rich in storytelling/roleplaying potential encounters with Fjhull Forked-Tongue and the Pillar of Skulls (especially with Morte around). So yeah, Planescape Torment had exploration - plenty of it, and richly saturated with encounters that were logically integrated into the game world in a manner that was more than very basic, primitive, and generic like in BG1 - yeah, I'm sure the first thing you thought to yourself after getting fedex quest from a random girl/farmer/knight in a random location was "Wow, this world has little girls, farmers and knights - I am learning so much today!"

Third, I don't even need to compare BG1 with PST, because I can simply compare BG1 to BG2. BG2 isn't the only example of Bioware borrowing a storytelling system from a Black Isle/Obsidian game for one of its future titles and getting high praise for something they did not originally come up with, but in any case, the sequel greatly benefited from reducing the total number of its optional generic areas and replacing them with well-crafted unique areas. I could just as easily draw a comparison between a random area from BG1 and BG2, and guess which game will have fewer out-of-context quirkiness?

It the same's as if I started critiquing ToEE combat by bringing up PS:T's combat, because you know, Sigil is better designed than Hommlet. PS:T is great in terms of writing and integration of dialogue into the game and quest design and all that, but no one would suggest it for people looking for either a good exploration or combat game, so please stop beating this dead horse.
What? Seriously, what? Wh... what? WHAT?! WHOOOOOTTT??!
Did you just say, concluding that exploration of Sigil was much better than exploration of Baldur's Gate because Sigil was a much better designed area than Baldur's Gate is directly equivalent to concluding that PST had better combat than ToEE because Sigil was a much better designed area than Hommlet? You're an idiot. The quality of exploration is directly dependent on the quality of area design and the quality of writing/storytelling/roleplaying opportunity invested in that area. Combat, however, is a completely separate system that does not depend on the quality of level design, and by the way, ToEE did have better combat than PST - most games do, in fact. Combat isn't PST's strong feature, which has absolutely buttfuck nothing to do with any single part of this argument.

First of all, you should try to relax. Your anger seems to be growing the longer this discussion goes on, and I wouldn't want you to explode and beat up your cat or something in a violent fit of nerdrage. Remember, it's just video games.
Nobody gives a shit about your huffy-puffy rhetorics. Either provide rational arguments, or don't argue. Actually, since virtually all of your post can be summed up as "LEAVE BALDUR'S GATE ALONE I LIKED LOOKING AT PRETTY MAPS", I'm not going to bother writing a response unless you post something that doesn't require me to constantly repeat myself for the trillionth time. Which, considering how big of a butthurt fanboy you are, is likely not going to happen.

Now go clean yourself up, moronic butthurt fanboy. I'm tired of explaining the blindingly obvious.

I must aplaude your diligence and long ass winded retorts Glyphwright but why all the anger? BG must have you waking up in feverish nightmares with its poor design or something but take it easy buddy...it is just a game right and it is supposed to be fun, just calm down son. You must be stuck in your basement under a snowfall drinking vodka and wishing you where at the beach or sucking under a huge pair of tits (or balls depending your tastes) but take it easy on probably one of the few channels of comunication you might have...I could only imagine your loss if the Codex banned your ass for your raging badassery
I am known as Glyphwright, slayer of dumbfucks, terror of butthurt fanboys.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraQ

Arcane
So, Glyphwright , how does it feel to finally have a functioning brain?
:martini:

On a completely unrelated note I now know what happened to hiver.
:troll:

You raised a few interesting points though I am not sure I can agree with this particular one.

To my mind, exploration does not necessarily have to incorporate an element of skill and possible failure for it to work for the player. Baldurs Gate presents the player with a large region of maps - many of which are entirely optional. Now the important point is that the player can choose to explore a certain map to see what he can find there.
The problem is that there is absolutely no reason not to and once you decide to explore a map you're guaranteed to find everything there is to it because there is no way to omit something without doing it on purpose.
The only possible exception are containers ingeniously disguised as generic scenery indistinguishable from actual generic scenery, but when you use the fact that player will spend most of the time sweeping the screen with his cursor in your game as argument for it having exploration, you know you've gone pretty deep.

Compare Morrowind, where thoroughly combing the entire gameplay area is simply unfeasible so you have to choose where to go, you need to identify actual spots of interest even if you levitate, and it's easy to overlook hidden items or places even if you're convinced you're searching some location thoroughly.

If there is no possibility of failure there can be no satisfaction from success.

tl;dr:
BG has exploration in the same sense Oblivion has C&C.

Every location in PS:T is Outlands or Baator, completely unlike BG where every location is Durlag's Tower
:hmmm:

Little backstory? Maybe. But who the fuck would write dozens of novels explaining these appearing characters?
Have you perhaps worked for BW at some points?
You fail to grasp "show, don't tell" in exactly the same manner as BW people.
You don't excel at grasping context either.

A being potentially better than B does not show that B is bad. In order to show that B is bad, you have to demonstrate that the difference between A and B includes some threshold, below which B must necessarily suck.
Nope. In order to say that B can be good you need to show that B can be good.

I have shown a number of traits A has that facilitate exploration and that are absent from B.
If you want to argue that B has *any* exploration, let alone good one, then it's up to you to demonstrate that it actually does enable exploration.
Alternatively you can just GTFO.

You try to do this with your personal definition of what good exploration entails: "skill and/or effort put into it, with possibility of not succeeding". Since any kind of exploration, even isometric one involves effort (walking around, choosing where to go, etc), we can narrow that down to skill and possibility of failure, which I take to mean challenge.

However, as I mentioned, this is your personal definition of good exploration, and I happen to disagree with it.
There is nothing to agree or disagree with here.
For something to be meaningful as gameplay element, it must be meaningful as gameplay.
For something to be meaningful as gameplay, it must involve some sort of decision making and accompanying punishment/reward mechanics.
If a game features no exploration as an element of its gameplay then it precludes any discussion of this exploration's quality as gameplay element.

BG1 has no exploration as gameplay element, therefore any discussion regarding quality of BG's exploration is automatically moot.

The basic features of exploration are moving around, scanning the area around you, and finding things of interest. BG1 definitely has those. You are constantly making judgements as to where you are headed next, both in terms of maps, and inside each one. To move around, you are actually putting effort into it, but if you mean challenge, read what I wrote above.

tl;dr:
EXPLORASHUN!
:hearnoevil:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ITT people talk about two different things, call them by the same name, HILARITY ENSUES

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes, there was like 4 places in the game with obnoxius pixel-hunting, and everybody hates it. Stop being an aspie - that wasn't the core part of BG exploration. Most clickable objects made sense, and nobody has challenged the fact that the TAB-highlighting of BG2 was a HUGE improvement.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem is that there is absolutely no reason not to [explore a map]

For the same reason many people will feel overwhelmed with the large world of Morrowind and turn the game off instead of playing it. There is no incentive to go to some remote area that is not directly relevant to the main story other than to satisfy ones own curiosity. Skill or the possibility of failure is irrelevant in this regard. (If I travel to a foreign country it gives me a sense of exploration without the possibility of failure or any skill on my part.)

So aside from all the obvious differences in gameplay, the reason I explore a remote area in Morrowind is in essence the exact same reason I explore some remote area in BG (or I travel to a foreign country) – it exists for me to explore and I want to know whats there. Some players may not feel like exploring a specific area because they are occupied with something else, don't feel the same curiosity, want to follow the main quest and so on. Hence there are areas in Morrowind I have never seen and for other players there may be places in BG they have never seen. Despite the gameplay differences, the possibility for exploration is in both games – as opposed to (for example) many JRPGs where the player is heavily railroaded and does not have that option to explore the gameworld on his own. It is undeniable that BGs gameplay feels significantly different to that simply because if offers this possibility.

For something to be meaningful as gameplay, it must involve some sort of decision making and accompanying punishment/reward mechanics. (…) BG1 has no exploration as gameplay element.

That the player is given the option to explore many optional maps on his own is a gameplay element. That the player chooses to go to one of them is an element of decision making. That the player satisfies his curiosity is an element of reward.

The exploration in PS:T is fine. Good exploration does not equal roaming the countryside on oversized maps pixelhunting for 2 points of interest that usually aren't all that interesting and are as Glyph pointed out most of the time totally disconnected from eachother. You seem to think about good exploration in purely quantitative terms while this is all pretty meaningless when most encounters are pretty slight and if you're lucky give you a bland fetch quest that isn't really tied to the rest of the world usually given in hastily written dialogue with no choices whatsoever, something that unfortunatly happens way too often in BG1. Glyph might be a dumbfuck but your arguments are pretty similar to people defending Elder Scrolls games.

The exploration in PS:T is not fine for the simple reason that it doesn't really exist. If you want to be banally technical, exploration can mean anything outside of combat and dialogue, but for most people interested in that aspect of RPGs, moving two steps from one in-depth NPC to another in a tightly packed zone is not what's implied by the term exploration, regardless of how great their dialogue is. And yes, good exploration in cRPGs does imply large, sparsely populated maps. This might negatively impact some other aspects of the game, such as the role of the story and content density, but the argument is about exploration.

The rest of your argument ignores the points (including specific examples) I and others have been making that while BG1's optional zone encounters are certainly not equal to those in PS:T and/or BG2 (which is again, natural given the different structures and emphasis in these games) in terms of their depth, and inter-connection, they are nevertheless not uninteresting or totally disconnected.

The basic feature of exploration in a video game is maintaining interest in the area you are traversing, which is impossible to do when you can neither appreciate your character's movement through landscape due to the static bids-eye view of isometric 2D, nor remain invested in the encounters because the absolute majority of them are extremely generic out-of-context fetch quests or quirky pop-culture references (plenty of examples above). Since traversing the maps of BG1 offers no challenges and no quality storytelling, it is reduced to a tedious process of clearing the fog of war.

Except that as has already been demonstrated to you, most of the encounters are not out-of-context, nor quirky pop-culture references, and no matter how angry you will get, this will not change. And since they are not, the combination of them with the beautiful vistas managed to maintain players' interest just fine for many of us.

I will answer the rest of your incredibly vapid and pointless post later, but first off, what the hell are you even talking about calling my argument a "strawman"? Is strawman your universal euphemism for "poopy-head" that you use regardless of the term's actual meaning? Because you know, strawman actually means something. Specifically, a strawman is a deliberate misrepresentation of your opponent's argument that makes it easier for you to maintain the pretense of having a valid point, which is what you are doing every time you ignore numerous essential parts of my post and focus on misrepresenting selected lines ripped out of their context. Whether you agree with my definition of out-of-context encounter or not, it is not a strawman, because it is not a misrepresentation of your argument. Nor is it a correct interpretation of your argument. It is in fact NOT YOUR ARGUMENT TO MAKE, it's mine. I was originally the one to suggest that most of BG1's encounters are out-of-context randomness that has nothing to do with its location, and you were the one to disagree with that. Stop saying "strawman" whenever you don't like something and have nothing better to say, it's not a generic insult. Words mean things. Period.

Oh, I use the term "strawman" because it is an excellent fit for the majority of your arguments. Let's put aside for a second that the major thrust of your efforts has been to compare BG1's exploration to elements in a game that has no real exploration to speak of, the very epitome of strawman argumentation. Let's talk instead of what you say in the quote right above this. The bottom part of it is patently false, because if you look back at your original post in this thread, you quoted a part of my original post, which included this line by me: "The world also feels very connected: many things/people you find are related to other stuff in the world, NPCs will talk about current events." As you can see, I clearly connect the encounters to the world, not to their specific zone, and you were the one who followed this up by saying they were out of context, without any mention of their specific zone or adjacent zones either. It was only later, once you lost the original argument, you reinvented your argument to include this in-zone context as a strawman which no one but you had brought up, up to that point, and then started arguing against your own strawman. That logic might fly in Georgia, my friend, but it won't fly here.

Quality storytelling requires higher standards that random paladins asking you to kill random gibberlings in a random forest in exchange for random loot - none of these elements are connected with each other, they come out of nowhere and vanish into nothing. What you in the depths of your dementia call "low-key encounters hit ass and legs omg itz heaven" normal people would call "lazy-ass bullshit".

And another strawman. You do remember that we are arguing about exploration, and not story telling, right? If you want to see how I feel about BG1's storytelling, you can check what I said about that in the original post.

... a strawman change-up where the bait is now to compare BG1 and BG2 in their totality ...

You think these things are all a complete coincidence, or are you simply too big of a butthurt fanboy to analyze the difference between BG1 and its sequel, and decide that since you remember yourself enjoying playing BG1 in your youth when grass was greener and water was wetter, then it must automatically be the bestest thing evah that is beyond criticism and having flaws?

Well, if you raged a little less, and read more, you could read my original post in this thread, where as opposed to your strawman argument #345, I actually did happen to mention the flaws of BG1:

"- The writing is very inconsistent. At times, as with the main plot, and the chapter intros and dreams, it's actually quite decent, but many sidequests feature very short bits of pretty crappy dialogue and plotlines. Part of it seems to be the result of them trying to reward AD&D geeks with geek humor, but it doesnt work well.
- There isn't much in the way of C&C, a few quests/dialogue have different options but they are very black/white, and sometimes don't make a difference. Most don't even have that. Regardless of your class, you will have to fight. So it's really a game meant to be played from the typical heroic adventurer perspective, evil diplomats need not apply.
- Shitty quest design. Other than the main quest, and maybe a couple of sidequests, the player is just given a bit of instructions and sent off to kill/find something and come back. There aren't multiple quest steps, or puzzles, or lots of quest backstory. On the positive side, there are a ton of quests, just don't expect anything super involved.
- Annoyingly shitty pathfinding."

Likewise, in the same post, I outlined that by changing its structure, BG2 was actually superior in many ways to BG1, except with the one aspect we have been arguing about, exploration, because for all its excellence in many other areas, the new hub-structure of BG2's world essentially killed off exploration.

First off, even by your own extremely shallow and incorrect standards, Planescape Torment had plenty of exploration. This is what you said: "The basic features of exploration are moving around, scanning the area around you, and finding things of interest." PST didn't let you move around? PST didn't let you scan the area around yourself? PST didn't let you find things of interest? It did? THEN WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING CLAIMING PST HAD ALMOST NO EXPLORATION, EVEN YOUR STATEMENT DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS THIS CRETINOUS CLAIM.

Ah, a cute piece of sophistry, but once again, it's not gonna fly. As you are well aware, I said that in response to your assertion that BG1 did not have the most basic features of exploration, and it was not being used to show that those features make BG1's exploration fun. Pretty much any game that has free movement, the ability to look around you and to find something has the foundation for exploration, as does PS:T. However, just having the most basic features does not necessarily make for an enjoyable exploration system. The reason exploration is fun and a large part of BG1 is not because it just has those fundamental characteristics, but because it also has a large open world, interesting things to find, good spacing of those (nice mix of encounter and emptiness), beautiful terrain and so on. PS:T has a very small (spatially) world and the spacing is extremely dense, and hence, despite having the basic features that allow exploration, it is not a game known for that. As I already mentioned before, walking two steps from one NPC to another is not what constitutes exploration.

... some more rage ...

Love you too, baby.

Nope. In order to say that B can be good you need to show that B can be good.

I have shown a number of traits A has that facilitate exploration and that are absent from B.
If you want to argue that B has *any* exploration, let alone good one, then it's up to you to demonstrate that it actually does enable exploration.
Alternatively you can just GTFO.

I have already shown the ways in which exploration in BG1 is good in this thread (large open world with a large variety of interesting unique things to discover, beautiful terrain to traverse, etc). What I don't have to do is to show that BG1's exploration passes some arbitrary test that you have come up with, the onus is on you to show that the test disqualifies it from being good. After all, I can come up with some arbitrary test of my own (for example, demand that all exploration must involve heavy duty math in order to calculate the locations of interest) and say that any 1st person exploration systems that you think are good must necessarily suck because they don't fit my standards.

There is nothing to agree or disagree with here.
For something to be meaningful as gameplay element, it must be meaningful as gameplay.
For something to be meaningful as gameplay, it must involve some sort of decision making and accompanying punishment/reward mechanics.
If a game features no exploration as an element of its gameplay then it precludes any discussion of this exploration's quality as gameplay element.

BG1 has no exploration as gameplay element, therefore any discussion regarding quality of BG's exploration is automatically moot.

Except that BG1's exploration has tons of decision making, both in terms of the world (which zone to go to out of a large number), and within each individual zone, as there are many possible ways to traverse them. You can say, of course, that the latter is a shallower form of decison making compared to true 3D games, but that does not invalidate it as a gameplay element, since obviously there is still active player involvement, and in no way takes away the enjoyment gotten out of the other aspects of the exploration (finding fun stuff, seeing beautiful places).

Also, there is some element of punishment/reward in that the player is free to go anywhere, and to run into encounters or general combat way above their ability. And most importantly, don't forget about the effort that the player decides to expand in order to explore all the optional areas. BG1 is a very large game, if you do everything, well over 100 hours, and the player can easily complete the main quest without doing many of the optional zones. This effort serves as part of the challenge of exploration, something the player puts in in order to get the rewards.

DraQ

Arcane
For the same reason many people will feel overwhelmed with the large world of Morrowind and turn the game off instead of playing it.
Brain damage?

There is no incentive to go to some remote area that is not directly relevant to the main story other than to satisfy ones own curiosity.
Loot and XP, duh.
Also content.

The main difference between BG and Morrowind in regards to exploration are as follows:

• BG is much smaller than Morrowind. This means that while in Morrowind you have to decide what to explore, in BG you can, and will 'explore' everything.
  • 'exploration' in BG is unambiguous - once you uncover a portion of map you know you have seen everything there. In Morrowind you often don't know if there is anything more to see in the area and may not identify object or point of interest despite it being visible and in plain sight (the most extreme instance is probably the only unenchanted daedric cuirass freely available in game.
This means that while in Morrowind exploring is very much gameplay as it incorporates continuous decision-feedback loop - with player constantly evaluating whether or not there is something to be found in some spot and taking actions to check it - while in BG no such loop is present.
You simply enter area and start going clockwise or counterclockwise along the edges, gradually progressing towards the middle and sticking to any impassable terrain to skirt it as narrowly as possible, while sweeping your cursor over the screen to reveal hotspots. You click on all new map edges you encounter to mark any new areas on your world map, then upon exhausting a map, proceed to next that hasn't been visited. It's purely mechanical process without any decisions regarding exploration, nor way to reward particularly perceptive players.

The only sense in which BG has exploration is that player may subjectively feel as if they were exploring, but player may also subjectively feel as if they were roleplaying in Oblivion, or as if they were making meaningful and impactful decisions in BW sagas.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Since when was BG about exploration, you fucking morons?

DraQ and Glyphwrite need to have a baby. Their child will grow up to be an author and write the longest, most pointless books in existence. Geez. Only on the Codex will you find people with enough time on their hands to write a 13 paragraph essay on a game they don't like and not get compensated for it.

BG is the original good for what it is. It has faults, but it's far incline above the current decline. Now STFU. :M

Rake

Arcane
good exploration in cRPGs does imply large, sparsely populated maps.
I didn't expect to say that, since our taste in games is completely different, but i'm 100% with DraQ in this one. If we go by your definition of what good exploration is, isometric 2D doesn't fit with it. In fact, it's shit automaticaly.
The filler wilderness areas in BG1 were the worst aspect of all IE games. Even the A->B->C linear IWD world structure was more fun.
If exploration = hiking around in large, pointless, empty sparsely populated maps, 2D isometric isn't the way to go.

Rake

Arcane
Since when was BG about exploration, you fucking morons?

DraQ and Glyphwrite need to have a baby. Their child will grow up to be an author and write the longest, most pointless books in existence. Geez. Only on the Codex will you find people with enough time on their hands to write a 13 paragraph essay on a game they don't like and not get payed for it.

BG is the original good for what it is. It has faults, but it's far incline above the current decline. Now STFU. :M
Not quite. The arguement isn't about that. I liked BG1 more than i liked Morrowind, but still i agree with DraQ in this one. BG1 "exploration" hurt the game, wasn't a plus.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It was an extra. Seems like it was thrown in as filler content to keep things interesting and feeling big and epic and shit. Going to rescue Minsc's witch was a little more complicated than just clicking on a map point etc. The game is not about exploration as a central theme. It was just a tool the designers tried to use to flesh out the feel of the game and the world in general. I didn't hate it and I didn't love it either. I could not be more meh about this current crop of multipage butthurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom