Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Doesn't Akali mid suck? I used to main Viktor mid before his remake, hard countered every Akali I played, mained Morgana mid this season, hard countered every Akali. Played today, our Akali got raped by an Annie. Maybe she s good against some champs as a counter pick, but too many mids shut her down.

Erzherzog

Magister
I had one with Xerath, he's pretty mechanically simple but effective. Helps with people who have trouble last hitting.

Skillshots aplenty tho. You'll find enemies are suddenly too tanky.

Sona is pretty simple to grasp as support but is super squishy.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Sona is pretty simple to grasp as support but is super squishy.
Yeah I played her for a while, but she gets countered by Blitz, Thresh, Leona. Thresh is in every other game nowadays. And when she's countered, some shameful shit happens to the entire team (it gets raped).

I had one with Xerath, he's pretty mechanically simple but effective. Helps with people who have trouble last hitting.
Malzahar also has a last hitting helper, but it's so easy to fuck up his ult and when that happens, it's basically as if you afked during teamfight. Plus silversash. I play Malz mid sometimes but I feel I'm not impacting the game in any way.

I've read good things about Xerath from you but I've never seen games carried by a Xerath. Gonna wait till he gets free to try him first.

Erzherzog

Magister
The way Xerath carries is that he can poke carries directly in sieges. You want to get your team to siege and for you to poke down the carries. He doesn't usually get gaudy kill scores but does deal gaudy damage.

Sona to get 60% win rate? Dude, no way. Sona is like Soraka or Janna in Silver/Bronze, every once in a while (like once in a 100 games), you'll see an amazing one carry the game, but most times, she has minimal impact. She s decent in laning with her poke and healing and all that, but doesn't really bring as much to team fights unless your skill level is way above silver. In my experience, at Silver/Bronze levels of play, you want to go with a tanky/bruiser support with cc (Leona, Alistar, even less common ones like Volibear or J4), because not only can you overwhelm the other team during laning, but you also give your team a powerful tank and more fight control during team fights. People often don't realize how quickly a Volibear can take out an ADC at early levels.

My advice for best champs to play at Silver/Bronze/Lower Gold? Morgana mid, Amumu jungle, Volibear jungle/support. Morgana is an amazing very underrated mid that pretty much has no counters and can just wreck many popular mids. But you do have to learn how to play her well. You can't just try to Q people, any decent player will dodge them, they travel pretty slow. You have to either catch people by surprise, or Q them after stunning them with ult. But she has amazing base damage + one of the highest AP scalings in the game + great cc and defenses. I build her slightly differently, instead of the usual zhonyas build: I go for tanky items first like RoA, Rylais and Liandry's, and MR boots to get tank-level health, together with her E, that makes me pretty much impervious to usual assassin bs, and if I time the ult correctly, lack of zhonyas doesn't hurt too bad. Late game, 3200 health, 660-800+ AP, not too bad. Can usually kill a squishy with just Q + W.

Amumu is also great, can build almost entirely tank and still kill people easily. He is a bit weak early on, and requires some coordination from the team, but great champ. Volibear is tanky as hell while still doing great damage to squishies, and a great initiator. You can turn many games with a flash toss late.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah I played her for a while, but she gets countered by Blitz, Thresh, Leona. Thresh is in every other game nowadays. And when she's countered, some shameful shit happens to the entire team (it gets raped).

Malzahar also has a last hitting helper, but it's so easy to fuck up his ult and when that happens, it's basically as if you afked during teamfight. Plus silversash. I play Malz mid sometimes but I feel I'm not impacting the game in any way.

I've read good things about Xerath from you but I've never seen games carried by a Xerath. Gonna wait till he gets free to try him first.

Malz is ok, but he's really dependent on his combo, which isn't easy to pull off properly. You have to remember to hit with his silence, then drop the pool, then q, and then ult.
Two of these can be avoided and the ult can be easily cancelled out of if you fuck up the buttons.
Which is why I don't like playing him that much. I prefer Swain; easier to combo due to his snare.

He's super annoying though when played competently. Dat zone and DoT harass.

The way Xerath carries is that he can poke carries directly in sieges. You want to get your team to siege and for you to poke down the carries. He doesn't usually get gaudy kill scores but does deal gaudy damage.

Yeah, his poke is pretty nuts. He's like Velkoz but with way longer range.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Amumu is also great, can build almost entirely tank and still kill people easily.
He's good with Yasuo on top and Katarina mid (especially at the same time), but without anyone to complement his ult, he's nothing special. Missed your Q on gank - no gank. He's the lowest picked jungler at the moment I think.

He's good with Yasuo on top and Katarina mid (especially at the same time), but without anyone to complement his ult, he's nothing special. Missed your Q on gank - no gank. He's the lowest picked jungler at the moment I think.

Nah, he's good with any champs. It's true aoe type champs like Kat are awesome with him, but any champs benefit from his abilities. I've had a lot of games where good opposing players honored me after the game saying they couldn't do anything to our carries because I kept them constantly cc'ed with Amumu's abilities. Obviously if your team is terrible, and when you go in and cc the entire enemy team, they don't do anything (which happens quite a bit), Amumu won't help, but you know, in that case, no champ will help you win, unless you are a smurf.

Also, that miss Q thing, Q is on a several second cooldown. Miss your Q, go back in the jungle, double back and try again. Unlike say WW, who if he fails to get a kill on his ult has to wait a minute.

The beautiful thing about Amumu is that if you build him tanky, say Cinderhulk Jungle item, followed by some tanky boots, Sunfire Cape, Deadman Plate, Banshee's Veil, and Liandri's, you now have 4000+ health, 200+ armor, 120+ MR, and still do (roughly) (4% of enemy health per second + 24 magic damage from W) + (1-2 % from liandri's passive) + (31 I think from sunfire) + (30 or so from cinderhulk), so that's like (being too lazy to do actual math) roughly maybe 7% of enemy health per second just by standing in the middle of their team to ALL enemies. So in 10 seconds, you'll take 70% of their squishies health just by standing next to them, and maybe half that for tankier champs. Throw in your AOE e on a short cd, your high damage ult, your q, and you are doing deceptively high damage despite being a tank.

Also, I wouldn't go champ popularity. Like most statistics it means very little. Before his remake, Viktor used to be the least played champion in LoL. I mained him in the mid back in those days, and completely wrecked people with him. I think I recall other people here having the same experience.

About Malzahar, I agree, he is a paper tiger champ. Looks great on paper, 4 high damage abilities with high scaling, some cc, but in practice, very underwhelming. It's very hard to get his abilities to work with each other in the middle of the chaos of battle. And if he messes up his abilities, which is very likely, he has no mobility, escapes, or tankiness, so he instantly becomes fodder for champs like xin, yi, etc. Maybe a very high skill player can get him to amazing places, but for us mere mortals, there are much better champs out there.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I watched yesterday, some nice upsets. TSM losing was also nice, and not an upset despite what their fans think.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Watching Worlds whenever I have time but I can't really get that excited about groups. Was not expecting for Origen and C9 to do so well in their groups, but then again probably no one was. IG and LGD 0-2, dayum.

edit:
I was really hesitant about the Anivia pick in OG vs TSM, but goddamn:

edit2:

GG Huni and Gameover...

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TSM TSM TSM TSM!
Also Huni tilting like a newb.

Chinese are really underwhelming except EDG but even they got roflstomped by SKT.

Biggest suprises are Origen and C9 IMO, I didnt think they would win a game and they came up on top. KOO also underperforming, I think CLG gonna wrek em sub 25 min today if CLG plays their own early game.

I watched almost every game so far except roflstompy ones with wildcards.
Whats with the Darius obsession, first pick in almost every game, but pick either did 0 to win the game or straight out lost the game cause it got countered. Its like these teams really want to play 4vs5. Stop picking this fucking champ.

Todays predictions:
LGD wins over TSM
KT Rolster wins over Origen
CLG wins over KOO
Fnatics wins over C9

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mordekaiser Thresh vs Kalista Brand bot lane matchup. K.

Kalista Brand sounds like a horrible bot lane pairing, but I guess LGD has some logic for that.

edit:
hoooolyyyyy shiiiiiiieeet

Last edited:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Seriously, what the hell is up with LGD? IG too for that matter. I thought China was supposed to be the strongest region coming in, what the hell happened? Was the new patch that bad for them?

Also, if Fnatic lose to C9 later today I will be just as buttmad as the Chinese fans must be now, even though I'm also kinda rooting for C9.

edit: Jeez, watching the replay of that last fight, Imp jumps right on top of the Zhonya'd Morde with a "3!!!" ready. Eugh.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So far I've been wrong on half of the matches. Lets see if the trend continues.

Oh, and Morde won obv.

Unsurprising.

I don't understand why people keep taking squishy supports with Kalista; her ult is clearly designed to be most effective with a tank.
Likewise, taking Brand and Velkoz as supports wastes their talents; they are better as carries. The only reason why Annie works is because her passive is bullshit.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Christ fnatic has been playing and picking like shit these last two games. Thought it might just have been a fluke yesterday, but was almost worse today. Need to pick up their shit so they can get out of groups.
Glad to see C9 is likely to get out, but would prefer both which is a lot less likely if fnatic keep being so bad.

bloodlover

Arcane
CLG got owned so hard. I still laugh when I think that people actually thought they could beat Koo.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yay, missed on all predictions. When you see my post next week predicting games, bet real money on the opposite side.

CLG looked way better than KOO in first 2 games and with all the upsets happening it wouldnt suprise me that CLG could do one of theirs early game snowball games.
Now they got stomped instead. :)

Also Huni, wtf. Sole reason they lost last two games. First one tilting and another one counterpicked himself.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The season ends on November 11. Decided to up my game. From now on I'm going to write down my predictions for my own games during the Champ Select screen. If by the end of the week, the predictions are at least 60% accurate, I'll start to dodge games shamelessly. If it doesn't work out, I'll buy an elo boost. I want my gold!!!!!

The elo boost from S2 to G5 costs 20 euros. Ridiculous.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Decided not to wait for statistics on my predictions. Started dodging right away after a few bad games, because I knew we were gonna lose them before they even started.

Dodged ~6-7 games in total, had to wait 30 minutes between games a couple of times. But what do you know, the games started feeling much more adequate, nobody was feeding like red cross anymore.

407f0298933b9b276f6f38bd55cc9eb7.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom