Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Sneaking in Bethesda games is broken

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Playing Skyrim and replaying F3 and New vegas as a sneaky character and my god, the damage modifiers are so ridiculous i can pretty much one shot anyone.

Why Bethesda has this 'sneak' fetish? Why it is so overpowered? It's basicaly playing without combat as you can one shot most mobs and boss fights drop health by half hp on first shot.

Beth shitty mechanics 101.

DraQ

Arcane
The problem with beth's sneaking mechanics isn't one hitting stuff.
When you can approach a dude undetected you should be able to just off him by slitting his throat or stabbing him without regard for his HPs or armour or whatever.
The problem is that you can do so repeatedly:

Imagine that you're a bandit.

You have set yourself up a nice cavern hideout or whatever with a number of equally crude and unwashed comrades and make a living ambushing and stabbing people who look like they might be carrying valuables or something to drink but don't look like they might put up a fight.

Life is good.

Then, while you're chilling out with some other dude, drinking ale and swapping some crude jokes, the dude's throat suddenly splits wide open or maybe he sprouts an arrow from his eye. Now, it's not like getting sprayed with someone's hot blood or seeing a throat slit is a particularly shocking (or new) experience to you, but it could have been fucking you this time, besides, you kind of liked this guy (as long as he didn't want too much loot for himself). You pursue fleeing shadowy figure while alerting the others, but you lose it in the shadows.
What do you do?

a) scour the area, preferably in pairs, not stopping until you find the killer or make sure he disappeared because THE GUY IS STILL AROUND AND CAN MURDER YOU AT ANY TIME

b) resume chilling out with another dude and drink some more ale, repeat until all of you get killed horribly and shadowy figure makes off with all your stuff

If killing is detected or friendly corpse is found the AI should not stop their search. And actively searching for you should make it almost impossible for you to one-hit someone again, doubly so without immediate counter from target's friends.

Then again, I don't recall a single RPG where stealth wouldn't be broken.
It's mostly implemented as hide-in-plain sight too.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

Don't forget that after seeing their friend's face explode in a gush of blood, and then giving up the search for the player, the bandits are first going to say something along the lines of "must have been my imagination playing tricks on me" or "was probably just the wind."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Don't forget that after seeing their friend's face explode in a gush of blood, and then giving up the search for the player, the bandits are first going to say something along the lines of "must have been my imagination playing tricks on me" or "was probably just the wind."

They say that with an arrow sticking out of their head.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe the wind was so strong it made one of those arrows on the table over there fly through the room. Who knows?

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
When you can approach a dude undetected you should be able to just off him by slitting his throat or stabbing him without regard for his HPs or armour or whatever.

You have set yourself up a nice cavern hideout or whatever with a number of equally crude and unwashed comrades and make a living ambushing and stabbing people who look like they might be carrying valuables or something to drink but don't look like they might put up a fight.

Life is good.

Then, while you're chilling out with some other dude, drinking ale and swapping some crude jokes, the dude's throat suddenly splits wide open or maybe he sprouts an arrow from his eye. Now, it's not like getting sprayed with someone's hot blood or seeing a throat slit is a particularly shocking (or new) experience to you, but it could have been fucking you this time, besides, you kind of liked this guy (as long as he didn't want too much loot for himself). You pursue fleeing shadowy figure while alerting the others, but you lose it in the shadows.
What do you do?

a) scour the area, preferably in pairs, not stopping until you find the killer or make sure he disappeared because THE GUY IS STILL AROUND AND CAN MURDER YOU AT ANY TIME

b) resume chilling out with another dude and drink some more ale, repeat until all of you get killed horribly and shadowy figure makes off with all your stuff

If killing is detected or friendly corpse is found the AI should not stop their search. And actively searching for you should make it almost impossible for you to one-hit someone again, doubly so without immediate counter from target's friends.

Duel mod + Path of Shadows?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Bow snipping? On the other hand, this mod actually looks halfway decent.

Just a pity the video showcases how retarded the AI pathfinding is. Always getting stuck on goddamned geometry.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Bow snipping? Is it cruel if I say I generally don't expect much from modders who can't even spell?

I do not mind his inability to write in proper English, I have the same...hm perk.
What counts is the result, as you clearly saw...because you did watch the video, did you?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Bow snipping? Is it cruel if I say I generally don't expect much from modders who can't even spell?

I do not mind his inability to write in proper English, I have the same...hm perk.
What counts is the result, as you clearly saw...because you did watch the video, did you?

Yeah, I was still busy watching while making that post. Only noticed he's not natively english speaking until the end. For a non-native english speaker it's actually pretty good.

Might just try the mod out if I'm ever bored of playing my other games and decide to play Skyrim again.

DraQ

Arcane

Life is good.

What do you do?

Duel mod + Path of Shadows?

I want to be a dragon use it with SkyRe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom