Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I go for pixel art?

Should I go for pixel art?

• Total voters

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
two things:
justified-aligned text doesn't really work in those little planet infos.
also, too many variations in font scale (note: scale, not size).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Thanks for the feedback Zed, I will fix them =]
no problem. it's looking great.

by the way, is the background a big static image?
something you could do to remove a bit of the, uh, staticness, is to add some twinkling stars, shooting comets, flickering auroras etc. It's hard to make space feel "alive" but I think these are details that could add quite a bit.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I actually did an animation of shooting stars, but I removed it until I can make it not use so much cpu.
It makes some stars appear and disappear, some of them move others stay still.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Damn, digging that parallax. This game is looking really nice, although I think a pixel art nebula would probably look a little better and contrast less than a high res image.

tiagocc0, I haven't forgotten the Kickstarter advice you asked me. We were interviewed for a couple sites and newspapers about Kickstarter and the articles haven't come out yet - I want to wait until they have and sort of aggregate all the stuff we've written plus write about some stuff we were never asked. This will probably be toward the end of the month.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Thanks! I will have Jalonso (pixel artist) to trasform it into pixel art later, but since it can be quite large it will probably take a long time to make, Danilo (concept artist) is already working on some better backgrounds to use. ;)

No problem, now that will be something really interesting to read! Looking forward to it! :salute:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it looks great. the two layers are quite distinct however. maybe 3 layer parallax would give it more natural depth.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
well if the front layer moves 1:1 (input:reaction, whatever), and if you use 3 layers, it could look like

layer 1 - 1:1
layer 2 - 1:0.66
layer 3 - 1:0.33

I assume you have 2 now, one which is 1:1 and the other 1:0.5 or something.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I have 3, but two of them are quite similar, a few tiny stars on a transparent background.
Layer 1 - Background moves really slow
Layer 2 - Stars, moves slowly
Layer 3 - Stars, moves 1:1

But I will change one of the stars so they are not too similar, and also change the background to be more consistent with the game design.
EDIT: I will also try to add some kind of animation, if I can make it lightweight enough.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks better, but I would reduce the amount of blinking stars and perhaps only have it occurring in the back-most layer. I also think that the back-most layer should be almost static. I would also reduce flying debris/ships/comets and that stuff by half.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Here's two new videos, 800x600 and 1920x1080, the background opacity is a bit high because this is the video I'm sending to Danilo to show him how his two new backgrounds fit with the engine, I will probably set a bit lower opacity later.
http://purpleorangegames.com/Videos/Sttc A2 2013-01-18 20-41-31-64-1.mp4 (1920x1080)
http://purpleorangegames.com/Videos/Sttc A2 2013-01-18 20-44-23-22-1.mp4 (800x600)

I screwed big time, I have a high resolution monitor that I bought new and it was quite cheap, this is because the damn thing is purple hell. So I have to fix the color using my graphics card because the monitor alone isn't able to do that.
The problem is that the program I use to capture the movie was actually capturing it with my purple correction so it was kind of greenish. For me it looked alright, but on any other monitor is must look horrible.
So I disabled the correction to make this new videos, so it must look better now. ;)

Now I need to finish some stars and then code, code, code. (need to finish, the bigger stars F A B O, red giants and then the flare stars)
These stars will look better after it's transformed into pixel art.
startypes.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I know that in space, the size of a star isn't necessarily just it's distance to the eye, but it's looks a little weird that all the stars on the front layer are 1x1 pixel ones.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I made them like that so they won't distract the player, I will try other sizes later.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
tiagocc0
I played around with "space parallaxing" this morning. I found the best result to be planets on their entirely own layer, with 3 background layers. 1 at 0.8, 2 at 0.65, 3 at 0.35.

http://absum.se/codex/planets.exe
(arrows keys to fly around ;))

tiagocc0

Arcane
Ow, that's great, I'm modifying it accordingly.
Such a tiny exe, did you make it with SDL?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom