Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I go for pixel art?

Should I go for pixel art?

• Total voters

circ

Arcane
Ya, I was thinking, keep the pixel interface elements - the bar at the bottom and sidebar, and keep the grid and ships like they are in the first example - to give it a partial boardgame look. I don't know, maybe that mix of older pixel look and boardgame would look interesting.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Ya, I was thinking, keep the pixel interface elements - the bar at the bottom and sidebar, and keep the grid and ships like they are in the first example - to give it a partial boardgame look. I don't know, maybe that mix of older pixel look and boardgame would look interesting.
I see, that's a good idea, I'm kind of doing it right for the background since I'm using opacity for one of the layers so it's already mixed.
But I will take a look later to see if I can improve something else, if something not pixel art looks better in the context I will definitely use it!

MCA
This is just great:

new_mockup_3_x2.png

You've got something there. Stick to it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I prefer the crispy colours of the second mockup. I don't like the colours in latter ones.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like it. the background hexes look sweet. I like the little dialogue pop-up as well.

now, two things:
*never use pure whites in pixelart. instead of 255/255/255 make it 240/240/240 or something. it's a subtle but important change. I myself is very sensitive to it and I know many others are as well. basically the only place to use pure whites is in metallic highlights, but even then you'll probably want a hint of blue.
*no need to upscale fonts. readability > style. fonts like profontwindows (my favorite) or other programmer's fonts have sizes up to 22. terminal can size up to 14. everything looks better if it's 1x1pixels.

here's an edit I made, replacing pure white with 230/230/230. maybe you can see the difference. I also added a 1px shadow to the left-hand text to increase readability just to see how it would look.
bajskorvneger.png

tiagocc0

Arcane
I prefer the crispy colours of the second mockup. I don't like the colours in latter ones.
I like it too, after I export everything to C and QML I willl try to make an option so people can choose one of two styles, being this last one I made and one based on the second mockup!

I like it. the background hexes look sweet. I like the little dialogue pop-up as well.

now, two things:
*never use pure whites in pixelart. instead of 255/255/255 make it 240/240/240 or something. it's a subtle but important change. I myself is very sensitive to it and I know many others are as well. basically the only place to use pure whites is in metallic highlights, but even then you'll probably want a hint of blue.
*no need to upscale fonts. readability > style. fonts like profontwindows (my favorite) or other programmer's fonts have sizes up to 22. terminal can size up to 14. everything looks better if it's 1x1pixels.

here's an edit I made, replacing pure white with 230/230/230. maybe you can see the difference. I also added a 1px shadow to the left-hand text to increase readability just to see how it would look.
View attachment 1089
Thanks Zed, I will change the white, I'm studying the best way to display fonts on QML, the current way is horrible..

tiagocc0

Arcane
I really like the font I'm using at size 8, but it does looks ugly in 2x2 pixels
I'm trying profontwindows right now

tiagocc0

Arcane
Update on the main thread, new mockup screen using a new font where I need to display bigger texts.
A few changes on the design.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Hurray, I was able to modify the Qt5 beta source code to include a custom text element in qml that allows text without anti-aliasing!
I will release the code of this modification as is required by the license of Qt, :thumbsup:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like it a lot!

There's only one more critique I can give without knowing how the game actually plays like, and that's the menu on the left. I like the yellow-orange because it spices things up a bit, but I'm thinking the content of the menu is brought forward a little more with a less exaggerated color (edit on right):
menuthing.png

zeitgeist

Magister
1097380145.png

ttf_sega.png

Personally I wouldn't use a drop shadow on a pixel font, I'd rather use an outlined font instead, like this or this for example. And check these out (scene fonts), there's a lot of Amiga fonts with different colors and gradients and whatnot for inspiration.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
could you export the video in an aryan file format, please?
nothing on my computer can play m4v. I tried VLC but it crashes.

tiagocc0

Arcane
could you export the video in an aryan file format, please?
nothing on my computer can play m4v. I tried VLC but it crashes.
That's strange, I played it on VLC. M4v is actually mp4.
EDIT: I also tried the stream option on VLC giving the url above and it worked too. I will try to upload it to vimeo.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looks very good.
I'd make the green movement grid (as in, when you choose where your ship should go) a little more subtle. liiiiike... 30% transparency.

tiagocc0

Arcane
looks very good.
I'd make the green movement grid (as in, when you choose where your ship should go) a little more subtle. liiiiike... 30% transparency.
Okay, I made it fade away along with the distance, but I may have to make it more transparent, when near the ship it still looks very bright.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
if the movement grid is based on the max amount of movement on that very turn, I think it should actually be more prominent around the edges.
asdfg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom