Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SHOCKER: Cliffy B leaves Epic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://epicgames.com/community/2012/10/cliff-bleszinski-departs-epic/

Cliff Bleszinski Departs Epic

Today we are saying farewell with warm regards to Cliff Bleszinski, who is departing as Epic’s design director to chart the next stage of his career. During the past two decades, Cliff has helped shape many successful games that have captured the imaginations of millions of players around the world. We are grateful for his influence on Epic’s legacy, from the wild adventures “Jazz Jackrabbit” to the visceral combat of “Gears of War.”

Cliff_Bleszinski01-199x300.jpg
Said Tim Sweeney, Epic’s founder, CEO and technical director, “In 20 wonderful years with Epic, Cliff Bleszinski has grown into a true design luminary, and his contributions to the ‘Unreal’ and ‘Gears’ series have helped shape the game industry into what it is today. Cliff leaves Epic with our gratitude for his many contributions, and our wishes for continued success in the next chapter of his life!”

“In my 10 years of working with Cliff, his passion for creating video games of the highest quality has been unflinching. We are grateful for all of his hard work, and remain committed to making our fans happy and to always raising the bar in everything we do at Epic,” said Epic Games President Dr. Michael Capps.

“Cliff has been my friend and business associate for the past 20 years and, while it is sad to see him move on from Epic, I know that everyone here has benefitted greatly from his passion for gaming and the depth of his expertise and experience,” said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic. “I’ll miss watching his star shine from such a close vantage point but I’ll still look forward to watching his continued success.”

We would also like to share an excerpt from Cliff’s personal note to his colleagues:

I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that I’m grown up, it’s time for a much needed break.

I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people. Epic only hires the best of the best, and it has been a joy working with each and every one of you on a daily basis, whether you were hired weeks ago or decades ago. I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with a variety of disciplines, from code to art to marketing and PR – it’s been one big, rewarding learning experience. I’m confident that each project that is being built, whether at Epic, Chair, PCF, or Impossible will be top notch and will please gamers and critics alike.

We wish Cliff the best with his future endeavors. You can, too, via @therealcliffyb on Twitter or on theEpic Forums.

Multi-headed Cow

:kfc:

Cliffy B and the Bioware doctors leaving is a sign of incline. This combined with Kickstarter RPGs is ushering in a new golden era of videogames! CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

Brinko

Arcane
So who's next on the video game Figurehead chopping block? $5 on Peter Molyneux is found dead due to autoerotic asphyxiation

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, at least Epic games can only get better with his departure.

The man was one of the biggest morons in the gaming industry. Pretty much a CoD player developing games.

A user named cat

Gears of War has done to shooters what Oblivion did to RPGs. I don't know anything personal about the guy but from a gaming standpoint -- fuck this douche. Hope he never works in gaming again.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If I remember correctly, he had little impact on UT3 and instead focused on GoW. Well, if anything GoW may not be the best use for the opposing thumbs but at least it's stupidly fun.

Gears of War has done to shooters what Oblivion did to RPGs. I don't know anything personal about the guy but from a gaming standpoint -- fuck this douche. Hope he never works in gaming again.

AFAIK Halo started the trend. If you have to make shooters for consoles, which is probably a decision that isn't his to make, then you have to make them shit.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
GoW on its own was a decentish mindless popamole ride. The real crime was that everyone else decided they needed to ape it.

sser

Arcane
Developer

AFAIK Halo started the trend. If you have to make shooters for consoles, which is probably a decision that isn't his to make, then you have to make them shit.

The first Halo is actually a pretty good shooter, IMO.

I think what Phantasmal is referring to is cover-shooting -- aka, the worst gameplay mechanic possibly ever.

Dexter

Arcane

I don't think Halo had chest-high walls, GoW started the chest-high wall epidemic of the last half decade.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Console FPS from 90 to early 2000 is not the same as the console shotters from today. Even the Decline may Decline.

Also: :incline:

Repressed Homosexual
Really, Cliffy was a huge dumbass? Somehow I don't think so. He was immature, but I think he was a decent designer. He made ambitious projects while very young too.

I think other guys at Epic are to blame for the Gears of War thing, which in and of itself, although severely dumbed down, was well executed. And Cliffy lately said he was sick of how linear and dumb it all had become.

And wasn't the whole cover and shoot third person game thing basically originating from a PS2 game that served as reference for Gears of War?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Well, at least Epic games can only get better with his departure.

The man was one of the biggest morons in the gaming industry. Pretty much a CoD player developing games.

not a chance, he's been there since the start, he worked on Epic's best titles, an integral part of those teams.

And then we got this...

Twinkle

Liturgist
And wasn't the whole cover and shoot third person game thing basically originating from a PS2 game that served as reference for Gears of War?

Few gimmicks aside Gears of War's "next-gen" gameplay is pretty much cloned from a budget Namco multiplatform shooter Kill switch. kill switch itself didn't invent popamole either.

J1M

Arcane
Cliffy B is a pretty cool guy.

My friend emailed him about a UT2k3 mod we made and not only did he try it but he gave us an official 'box quote'.

His games helped put Epic at the top of game engine licensing and he married a young id software employee. He did so while often dressed in a strange manner.

He's like a modern day Conan the Barbarian.

Meh, everyone has to decline sometime apparently. I should try and figure out if I can still get Jazz Jackrabbit working.

TripJack

Hedonist
who gives a shit, epic hasn't made a good game since 1999

that won't be changing just because asshat cliffyb is leaving

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
who gives a shit, epic hasn't made a good game since 1999

A ton of people loved UT2K4, even if you didn't.

I personally enjoyed Bulletstorm (and when I say enjoyed I mean just that, I don't need a reply about its flaws or lack of competence compared to ex-lovers).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom