Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Morrowind intro takes so fucking long because of the load times. Mainly story fag stuff too as I believe you chaps put it. I do think BG2 intro is quite a bit longer. BG2 needs it I think to teach more complicated game mechanics. Does drag ass on replays though.

No it doesn't. BG 2 had a dedicated tutorial separate from the main game. Everyone's bitchy elf wizard Xan appears there.

I believe I may be confusing the beginning of the game with the tutorial. Irenicus is the part I'm thinking of. I don't recall the actual tutorial.

Yeah I know, I was pointing out that Irenicus dungeon didn't have to teach new players anything because the game had an actual tutorial.
I don't remember BG2 having any kind of standalone tutorial. In fact, I can't find the option after firing the game up.

wat

Ghwg7sH.jpg

https://youtu.be/FtwlC_uNrEc?t=1559

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Morrowind intro takes so fucking long because of the load times. Mainly story fag stuff too as I believe you chaps put it. I do think BG2 intro is quite a bit longer. BG2 needs it I think to teach more complicated game mechanics. Does drag ass on replays though.

No it doesn't. BG 2 had a dedicated tutorial separate from the main game. Everyone's bitchy elf wizard Xan appears there.

I believe I may be confusing the beginning of the game with the tutorial. Irenicus is the part I'm thinking of. I don't recall the actual tutorial.

Yeah I know, I was pointing out that Irenicus dungeon didn't have to teach new players anything because the game had an actual tutorial.
I don't remember BG2 having any kind of standalone tutorial. In fact, I can't find the option after firing the game up.

Excuse me, but are you fucking blind?

sgpi4y.png

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny but I never once pressed that Tutorial button in all the times I've played that game. At first I was a little shocked to see it highlighted there.... must have been a subconscious thing and actually forgot it was there. :lol:

Malpercio

Arcane
Ireincunt dungeon was cool the first time, but insufferable every time after it.

I think people don't like it because it's design is the opposite of what people like in BG2, it's linear, you can't swap party member and has no sub-quests.

Gondolin

Arcane
Funny but I never once pressed that Tutorial button in all the times I've played that game. At first I was a little shocked to see it highlighted there.... must have been a subconscious thing and actually forgot it was there. :lol:

Same here. I was kinda surprised to read that the game even has one.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ireincunt dungeon was cool the first time, but insufferable every time after it.

I think people don't like it because it's design is the opposite of what people like in BG2, it's linear, you can't swap party member and has no sub-quests.

Yea this basically..
The first time you play BG 2 it's amazing - the 10th time.. your rushing to grab the equalizer pommel then GTFO of there. If this dungeon was anywhere else in the game, it would be really cool. The fact your forced to do it every new game you start, makes it tedious pretty fast.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I've never found the starting dungeon that annoying, I've never skipped it. I skip the dialogue, but I still do all the stuff there is to do in the dungeon.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"There had been mods removing it for a reason."

It's there for the people who have played the game a bunch of times. It has nothing to do with the area's 'lack of quality'. Irencius' dungeon is damn awesome. PERIOD.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What is the problem with the Irenicus dungeon? You have a quite nice variety of things in there, some backstory on Irenicus and it ends pretty quick. It is better than the Temple of Trials on Fallout 2, that is for sure.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What is the problem with the Irenicus dungeon? You have a quite nice variety of things in there, some backstory on Irenicus and it ends pretty quick. It is better than the Temple of Trials on Fallout 2, that is for sure.
What's the least amount of time you can spend in Irenicus' dungeon?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Also, naked dryads.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Excuse me, but are you fucking blind?
I should've checked with a clean install. The option was apparently removed by one mod or another.

There are a few things that make it tedious in my mind, but most of that is just from repetition. The encounters are really easy, you're stuck with the same companions every time, and there are no interesting quests or anything.

It does reveal some details about Irenicus, but I really feel like could have been a much stronger dungeon if the breakout had been greatly shortened and the rest of the dungeon was available later as a quest to investigate Irenicus or something.

Ulrox

Arbiter
I think the least I spent in irenicus dungeon is 40 minutes, compare that to temple of trials where it takes 2-3 minutes if you just run away from everything and convince the guard with speech.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I think the least I spent in irenicus dungeon is 40 minutes, compare that to temple of trials where it takes 2-3 minutes if you just run away from everything and convince the guard with speech.
That's what I'm thinking (even though I don't care for the Temple and have expressed it around here before).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"There had been mods removing it for a reason."

It's there for the people who have played the game a bunch of times. It has nothing to do with the area's 'lack of quality'. Irencius' dungeon is damn awesome. PERIOD.

Yup.. If the dungeon was somewhere else in the game it would have been perfectly fine. The only issue for me is that your forced to run it every game you start.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought the dungeon was a chore to get to the game, but then I got outside and it was even worse.

Helpless citizens calling for the mighty player-hero to help them solve their menial tasks.

Please. I don't even want to do that in real life.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No bro, it really is more fun to read "x frowned" than "x didn't approve of her words". Of course like every guideline you need to know when to break it.

And in games you're really doing yourself a disservice when you try to "tell" too much that could have more easily been shown. Why are you using a medium that combines art, writing and sound when you aren't going to make use of all its elements?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
No bro, it really is more fun to read "x frowned" than "x didn't approve of her words".

It all depends on the context; the former might be better suited in one situation, and the latter in another. But stating that one is de facto better—I assume that’s what you mean by “fun”—than the other is arbitrary.

Of course like every guideline you need to know when to break it.

Rules and guidelines need to make sense to begin with. This one is notoriously famous for being bad writing advice that bad writers share with future bad writers. But it’s short and can fit on a bumper sticker, so at least there’s that.

And in games you're really doing yourself a disservice when you try to "tell" too much that could have more easily been shown. Why are you using a medium that combines art, writing and sound when you aren't going to make use of all its elements?

The last time I checked, Planescape: Torment was still popular on the Codex.

Love

Cipher
"Show, don't tell - unless your players are autistic."
Chris Avellone, Bad Rider

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
That’s one of those vacuous rules that people who don’t have a clue about good writing like to propagate.
I don't if you realized but my post was supposed to be a joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom