Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Weasel
Whoa... that avatar confused me for a second, thought it was another post by that Figaro newfag, then wondered why he was quoting MCA :lol:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So... I concur and still hate myself for it to this day.

While this doesn't excuse the length (nothing can, and a number of people at the studio refused to give the DLC a chance on play days because of it), after numerous... discussions concerning how much more the context of Dead Money needed to be explained at the outset (which I fiercely disagreed with and its the reason Elijah goes on so long), the Old World Blues intro was designed as a response to prevent further such time-wasting discussions and I never should have bent the knee to the thought because, hey, players don't need to have everything explained to them if they see it working in the actual world they're exploring.

But I did write it, so I deserve the blame - it goes on too long, and it kills the momentum, frankly. The only part I probably could have chosen to remove with little consequences is the mockery sequence for anyone attempting to speed run through the DLC and claim it was too short (which was part of the reason that we had ending slides based on how many labs you found when you explored) and maybe the Barter sequence thread (I always feel like Barter gets shafted in Fallout if there's not enough stores), but I added the Barter sequence after one of our senior level designers, Jeff Husges, mentioned it would be a lot more fun to be able to outwit/show up the brains, and like most of what Jeff says, I agreed with it.

True story: the intro was based off the Venture Brothers (shocker! if you weren't already aware) where Dr. Girlfriend is being interrogated by the Guild of Calamitous Intent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjuwhEWonU

Oh, well. That said, I did think it was the one DLC that was going to be burned in effigy when it was released since it came close to scaling the 4th wall.

Sawyer_4.png

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

While this doesn't excuse the length (nothing can, and a number of people at the studio refused to give the DLC a chance on play days because of it), after numerous... discussions concerning how much more the context of Dead Money needed to be explained at the outset (which I fiercely disagreed with and its the reason Elijah goes on so long), the Old World Blues intro was designed as a response to prevent further such time-wasting discussions and I never should have bent the knee to the thought because, hey, players don't need to have everything explained to them if they see it working in the actual world they're exploring.

But I did write it, so I deserve the blame - it goes on too long, and it kills the momentum, frankly. The only part I probably could have chosen to remove with little consequences is the mockery sequence for anyone attempting to speed run through the DLC and claim it was too short (which was part of the reason that we had ending slides based on how many labs you found when you explored) and maybe the Barter sequence thread (I always feel like Barter gets shafted in Fallout if there's not enough stores), but I added the Barter sequence after one of our senior level designers, Jeff Husges, mentioned it would be a lot more fun to be able to outwit/show up the brains, and like most of what Jeff says, I agreed with it.

True story: the intro was based off the Venture Brothers (shocker! if you weren't already aware) where Dr. Girlfriend is being interrogated by the Guild of Calamitous Intent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjuwhEWonU

Oh, well. That said, I did think it was the one DLC that was going to be burned in effigy when it was released since it came close to scaling the 4th wall.

Sawyer_4.png

I don't get it.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
But I did write it, so I deserve the blame - it goes on too long, and it kills the momentum, frankly.

I'm not into fetch quests and the like, but in that case setting up simple tasks at the beginning would have been an ideal expository complement and would have given this (very good) dialog a bigger and much needed breathing space...

Frankly you guys (and by that i mean you and your ex-colleagues) need to stop feeling guilty about that kind of thing, cause your willingness to manipulate tropes and turning them upside-down is the exact reason why people love you and your work (and frankly isn't it why you love your work ?).
The only issue was you shooting yourself in the foot with too much exposition, and even then believe me when i say it was a case of too much of a good thing.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Sometimes overkill is good (or can be good if you're targeting an audience that isn't immediately put off by something unfamiliar). Personally I found the intro appropriate for that particular DLC -- and it even got me hooked.

I wouldn't want that kind of intro to migrate to all games or anything, but it did work for me as something different from what you usually get, and set the mood for that DLC just right.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Eh, it wasn't that bad. I didn't even know people were salty about it. I disliked all these DLC intro slides much more.

Drax

Arcane

I'm assuming your next post is going to be the announcement of your new SciFi-Noir-Highschool uber RPG, right?
RIGHT!?

:bunkertime:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Right, what about that high-school RPG, everyone is waiting for that one and Persona showed that High School setting is one of the most desired things on the market right now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ch-, Chris touched us!!

You are pathetic.

And you're a retard, what of it?
Who goes through the trouble of creating a new account for the express purpose of writing statements meant to incite responses? I can't imagine a more pathetic use of your time.

Besides, I'm better than you by default. Everyone knows Brazilians are subhuman until proven otherwise.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Brazil is a p. cool guy and has a large part of german-descendant population which is 100% white. And when I say Brazil what I mean is Bra71l.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It is interesting to see what was discussed about OWB and Dead Money.

Personally, Dead Money was my favorite DLC with time, and I never thought OWB's intro was too long. If anything, I only got annoyed by OBW because the enemies seemed to become tanky and not in an interesting way.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Just so you know, OWB is my favourite DLC. The one I find the most boring is definitely Honest Hearts - the conflict in that DLC is weak sauce. The Intro Dialogue dump was maybe a bit much in OWB's and might have put all the cards on the table that would have been nicer to learn for ourselves but I loved it anyway and I think it's your strongest DLC.

I also loved the tie in with the other DLC's you did, OWB feels like the chain that linked everything together.

Why did you leave Obsidian and where are you going to work now? :troll:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Honest Hearts had the best atmosphere and exploration aspect from all the DLC's, I don't understand why people found it "boring". All DLC's for New Vegas ranged from great to fantastic to me.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Honest Hearts had the best atmosphere and exploration aspect from all the DLC's, I don't understand why people found it "boring". All DLC's for New Vegas ranged from great to fantastic to me.

Fallout universe isn't exactly the embodiment subtle nuances and plot lines. The setting lives and dies with profound extreme characters. I won't argue that you can't enjoy it but will explain why it's boring.

Because it's boring. I don't care about either tribes. I don't know or care about the antagonist (who you never even see until some lame ass final fight). I don't care about the caravan I am travelling with or the people who die.

It was enjoyable visiting all the pre-war locations and reading about the ranger from journal logs but that just wasn't enough. The only character who sticks out is the Burning Man but even he feels a little lackluster in a setting like Fallout. The DLC wasn't bad but doesn't come close to the other ones in quality or interesting characters.

On a replay, Dead Money remains the best DLC to me, has everything on rights doses. Honest Hearts has nice landscape and a bit of nice exploration related discoveries (the man in the caves), but has like not character interaction outside the 2 faction leaders and the 2 henchmen, and only Graham was really interesting. OWB is fun and silly, the beggining can be a bit dialogue dense in replays. I found Lonesome Road a bit meh, was expecting more from MCA's Ulysses, he just turned to be some edgy guy that was using and screwing you for somewhat weird reasons, also by then combat is completly unbalanced.

DM>OWB>HH=LR

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Fallout universe isn't exactly the embodiment subtle nuances and plot lines. The setting lives and dies with profound extreme characters. I won't argue that you can't enjoy it but will explain why it's boring.

Because it's boring. I don't care about either tribes. I don't know or care about the antagonist (who you never even see until some lame ass final fight). I don't care about the caravan I am travelling with or the people who die.

It was enjoyable visiting all the pre-war locations and reading about the ranger from journal logs but that just wasn't enough. The only character who sticks out is the Burning Man but even he feels a little lackluster in a setting like Fallout. The DLC wasn't bad but doesn't come close to the other ones in quality or interesting characters.
I agree to an extent. The only thing I cared about was the Burning Man. I never paid much attention to any other character or alternative.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I agree to an extent. The only thing I cared about was the Burning Man. I never paid much attention to any other character or alternative.

That's my point though.

Without googling to jog your memory, can anyone tell me something unique or even the name of anyone except Joshua Grahm in Honest Hearts. Be Honest. :smug:

Compare that to the other DLC's..

• Dead Money is amazing, the vibe / feeing / tension is great,
  • OWB's is crazy off the wall but really embodies the feeling of Fallout.. The blending of extremely high technology coupled with completely irrational and whacky experiments.
  • Lonesome Road was a great ending to the courier plot line but definitely trails behind the other two.

Ulrox

Arbiter
I thought the opening was very hilarious the first time around - and since you can skip it the second time around, I dont see too much of an issue with it. Depending on people's attention span I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom