Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Btw, I am willing to buy some copies of the game for people here, who never played, but are genuinely interested in it. Dumbfucks, Shitposters, People on Ignore are of course excluded.

Nathir

Liturgist
Btw, I am willing to buy some copies of the game for people here, who never played, but are genuinely interested in it. Dumbfucks, Shitposters, People on Ignore are of course excluded.

I know it's shit despite never playing or buying it. But if you have the spare money.... You know, just to confirm it's shit. And I don't have a Switch, so you'll have to include that aswell. Thanks.

d1r

Patron
No. SJ is mainline, even though it is not numbered.
As stated in this official trailer from ATLUS in the 25th SMT main Anniversary concert numbering all SMT mainlines games:

Perkel

Arcane
Again. IT doesn't matter how they sell it. It is spin off. It doesn't play like SMT. It plays like Strange Journey. Same way Devil Survivor doesn't play at all like SMT games.

You have to be stupid to argue both SJ and DS are mainline games. Especially when you have fucking SMT 4 released recently.
Persona also was named SMT Persona before dropping SMT from 3, 4 and 5.

Either way the point was that SMT1-4 are bad compared to spin offs.

d1r

Patron
Again. IT doesn't matter how they sell it. It is spin off. It doesn't play like SMT. It plays like Strange Journey. Same way Devil Survivor doesn't play at all like SMT games.
As GhostCow stated, SMT1, SMT2, and SMTIF were dungeon crawlers just like SJ. Absolute stupid argument of yours. Idiot.
Either way the point was that SMT1-4 are bad compared to spin offs.
Absolute shit taste. Now fuck off from this thread you imbecile.

Perkel

Arcane
As GhostCow stated, SMT1, SMT2, and SMTIF were dungeon crawlers just like SJ. Absolute stupid argument of yours. Idiot.

And Persona is also dungeon crawler so fuck of retard.
SJ is great because how story is constructed, how presentation works and how combat works it's not muh generic dungeon to be done SMT4 formula. IT shits all over SMT3-4.

Readher

Savant
Strange Journey is mainline.
It's not.

Retronauts: I've heard rumors that Strange Journey was originally intended to be published as Shin Megami Tensei 4, but was turned into a non-numbered spinoff instead. What do you think defines a "true" SMT game? In your opinion, where does a spinoff like Strange Journey fit into the franchise or universe?

EI: To be exact, it was developed as a spinoff from the start. The promotional staff at the time judged the game to have high enough quality to be marketed as a numbered title, so they suggested selling it as a numbered SMT game. Even Mr. Kazuma Kaneko, who worked with us to design the human and demon characters and pen the original story, backed up the suggestion, saying it was “good enough to be called Shin Megami Tensei IV.”

But, because it was conceived as a spinoff, we enjoyed the freedom of going off on a tangent from the mainline games (and the extra pain and suffering from that, haha). Therefore, I felt a strong resistance to market it as a numbered title, and I ultimately rejected the suggestion. I think I would be a little more flexible about it now, but my past self who had just experienced the pain of creating a new title wasn’t as confident, and I couldn’t make that decision then.

On that note, Strange Journey has no chronological relationship to the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

quixotic

Learned
Strange Journey is mainline.
It's not.

Retronauts: I've heard rumors that Strange Journey was originally intended to be published as Shin Megami Tensei 4, but was turned into a non-numbered spinoff instead. What do you think defines a "true" SMT game? In your opinion, where does a spinoff like Strange Journey fit into the franchise or universe?

EI: To be exact, it was developed as a spinoff from the start. The promotional staff at the time judged the game to have high enough quality to be marketed as a numbered title, so they suggested selling it as a numbered SMT game. Even Mr. Kazuma Kaneko, who worked with us to design the human and demon characters and pen the original story, backed up the suggestion, saying it was “good enough to be called Shin Megami Tensei IV.”

But, because it was conceived as a spinoff, we enjoyed the freedom of going off on a tangent from the mainline games (and the extra pain and suffering from that, haha). Therefore, I felt a strong resistance to market it as a numbered title, and I ultimately rejected the suggestion. I think I would be a little more flexible about it now, but my past self who had just experienced the pain of creating a new title wasn’t as confident, and I couldn’t make that decision then.

On that note, Strange Journey has no chronological relationship to the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei series.
I remember back during the 25th anniversary they were marketing it as one (along with If). I didn’t even know this interview existed, thanks for sharing.

Perkel

Arcane
I mean the whole point is that people call Devil Survivor mainline. I mean you need to be proper clown to say that. It is literally SRPG not dungeon crawler. And tone of it is much different than rest of games.

Readher

Savant
I mean the whole point is that people call Devil Survivor mainline. I mean you need to be proper clown to say that. It is literally SRPG not dungeon crawler. And tone of it is much different than rest of games.
Devil Survivor isn't even an SMT game. It only got that branding in the West, just like many other games (DDS, Persona until P4G).

Readher

Savant
There's Shittendo direct today, wouldn't be surprised if that's where the reveal happens. Next possibility is Anime Expo at the start of July, Atlus has a panel there.

Readher

Savant
Fatlus is doing region-locked cuckcert on June 30th.
https://personacentral.com/smt-30th-concert-stream/
Their anime expo July 3rd panel description used to say "Join ATLUS West and be the first to know about all the exciting happenings! By the time you’re reading this, the cat is out of the bag." They've changed it since, so with the concert announcement, I think it's quite likely we'll get an announcement there and then potentially some more info at AX.

quixotic

Learned
>posts about the concert that they specifically said wouldn’t have any announcements
Lol. This, on the other hand, is an actual thing.
https://personacentral.com/smt-v-re-release-rumor/
The leaker’s some chinese dude. I take most leaks with a grain of salt but the guy’s track record isn’t bad. He got the exact date for the Armoured Core 6 announcement right and word-for-word got the title for the Crisis Core remake correct before it was announced.

Readher

Savant
>posts about the concert that they specifically said wouldn’t have any announcements
Lol. This, on the other hand, is an actual thing.
https://personacentral.com/smt-v-re-release-rumor/
The leaker’s some chinese dude. I take most leaks with a grain of salt but the guy’s track record isn’t bad. He got the exact date for the Armoured Core 6 announcement right and word-for-word got the title for the Crisis Core remake correct before it was announced.
They keep saying there won't be any announcements at the concert, but the Anime Expo panel description was clearly talking about something that would happen beforehand, and concerning SMT (Atlus has several panels, but this was in description of the SMT one). There aren't really any other events left, short of a random announcement out of nowhere, which seems retarded when you just had not-E3 2 weeks ago and a concert now. Then again, it's Fatlus we're talking about, the whole studio is probably on mental disability allowance.

quixotic

Learned
The chinese dude did tease the leak by editing an image of the last SMT concert…
It’ll probably be nothing anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom