Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #84: Next Shadowrun campaign to be Kickstarted in January

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, it's the Director's Cut and I've noticed minor improvements in combat mechanics like UI showing total armor and stuff but, well, I expected more. A lot of people here is saying that Dragonfall is a lot better than the previous one and I'm not seeing it.

It's about the area design and quest design.

Yes, I'm starting to see that. The upgrade in combat mechanics (cover included) are also nice. I'm just craving for a proper inventory and item management, stealth and other things still lacking. I hope they'll be adding those features in the next one. I don't know if I'll finish it 'casue Dead State and Neo Scavenger are in queue and I feel like I've already played this game, but it's ok.
:brodex:
This. Desperately. It's what I'd like to see the most in the sequel, followed by etiquette balancing and more C&C.

almondblight

Arcane
Exactly. Nobody states that it is a great RPG. I hope. Because it really is not. The character development is okay, but the character system itself too shallow.
And there is no real C&C.
But besides that (and being too easy on every non-hard difficulty), it is still a good game.

Dragonfall DC on very hard (and really, if you're not playing on very hard you shouldn't be complaining) is better than most RPGs in several areas. I've actually found the character system to be pretty good. In games like BG2 or Fallout I barely thought about character development, but here I've had to plan things out. Every skill can be useful, but if you spread your skill points too thin, or don't factor in essence costs or inventory limitations, you can really screw yourself over. This is especially problematic on very hard, where the rest of your team struggles to hit anything in combat and your main character has to do a lot of the work.

I've found the C&C better than most games. In RPGs you often have a good option with no downside, and an evil option that you can choose because you want to see the evil option. In Dragonfall DC, I found myself letting neo-fascist leaders escape because I needed extra cash and some shadowy organization was paying me off, or screwing over innocent cafe owners so I could sneak into a corp building. I didn't want to do either of these things, but unlike almost all games, Dragonfall actually puts you in situations where doing the right thing can cost you quite a bit. It's one of the few games where I've put more thought into my decisions than "do I want to see the good path or the evil path."

Of course, the reason why those incentives work is because Dragonfall DC also does some other things that most games lack - it has scarcity and challenging combat. I always have something to drop cash on and am usually near zero. Even a fairly simple combat scenario can drain your resources, and I've found myself trying to avoid it whenever I can.

Another thing I've really enjoyed is the non-combat puzzles in the game. They haven't been brilliant, but they're better than what we usually get. There are nice touches like having to research certain chemicals in the companies database to find a way to neutralize toxic elements, or looking through the personal items of a CEO in order to try to guess their passwords. It beats the "click to win" non-combat stuff we usually get (like Fallout's Glow map).

The combat (again, on very hard) is also some of the best RPG combat I've seen. Granted, most RPG combat sucks, so that's not saying a whole lot. But it's been fun, varied, relatively challenging, and with almost no filler. Just about every encounter has had thought put into it (placement of the enemies, placement of cover, placement of summonable spirits, placement of stationary defense turrets, placement of hackable computers, placement of explosive barrels, etc.). It might not be the best out there, but it's better combat than most of the games in the Codex's top RPG list.

It doesn't have an open world, but it does a lot of other things better than most RPGs do. I'd probably call it a great RPG, particularly when you add in the good setting, writing, atmosphere, art, and editor.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's confirmed to be Hong Kong.

Update #85:
A Preview of Our New Setting: Coming to Kickstarter in January 2015!
Posted by Harebrained Schemes LLC

bd349ffed20ce3e3f9a71369cee8687a_large.jpg

Here's a piece of look & feel concept art for our new setting. We'll show how it translates into Shadowrun's isometric gameplay view when our Kickstarter launches in January!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm okay with that. I remember voting Hong Kong for their second campaign, but Berlin won.

roshan

Arcane
I suppose this is going to be an all new standalone game? Or installed on top of Dragonfall?

I have high hopes for this. I hope they won't dissapoint in making a shallow game. Shadowrun is P&P rpg, so I hope they will be able to give depth since they should have more xp and $$$ now. And I hope KS will be a multi million hit so they have no excuses. :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What they should do is find a way to make the games standalone, yet still share data on the player's drive so you don't have to download the same engine a bunch of times.

eXalted

Arcane
Nice, that image looks also cool.

I hope they add new skills to make the game more fresh and give it a lot more depth (Sneak ahem). Or add option for positive and negative Qualities (like the pen'n' paper) to be selected - Ambidextrous, Blandness, Guts, Lucky, Toughness, Addiction, Bad Luck, Uneducated - this will give great roleplaying touch to the game.

Oh, and I want this:
P2dLqir.jpg

Now give me that rice and them noodles.

Martius

Liturgist
What they should do is find a way to make the games standalone, yet still share data on the player's drive so you don't have to download the same engine a bunch of times.
Wasnt that how Dragonfall worked before Directors Cut?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Updated character models, persistent world state, more c&c, expanded contract negotiations (negotiate bonuses and conditions with employers), just some of the stuff I hope they implement

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One can dream
:outrage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom