Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun modules

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think the mission-based structure of the game and my lack of ability in new assets is going to turn me off making modules for this. I have some good ideas and created a pretty decent looking office building that combines a classic wood look with futuristic flourishes, but... I dunno, I want to make an RPG module not a strategy module, if that makes sense.

Maybe I just need to spend more time with it, but if it comes down to 90% building combat dungeons and 10% writing quest dialogue that's pretty much the opposite of what I want.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think the mission-based structure of the game and my lack of ability in new assets is going to turn me off making modules for this. I have some good ideas and created a pretty decent looking office building that combines a classic wood look with futuristic flourishes, but... I dunno, I want to make an RPG module not a strategy module, if that makes sense.

Maybe I just need to spend more time with it, but if it comes down to 90% building combat dungeons and 10% writing quest dialogue that's pretty much the opposite of what I want.
Why do people seem to think that the base campaign dictates the game design elements possible using the editor? The game engine is your limiting factor, and the engine doesn't force you to make linear gameplay or combat-heavy areas.

Zetor

Arcane
For me it's been 60% building noncombat areas and 40% dialogue, but I'm just implementing the (skippable) intro :troll:

So far my biggest heartache is the lack of tiles to use for ship exteriors/interiors. The docks tileset has some good stuff, but the 'Barge' pieces are kinda not enough. I really, really don't want to have to import custom assets (especially ones that aren't just a poster or something)...

Rake

Arcane
Work in progress outdoor map is kinda coming along.

Having some problems getting everything to look quite right. Lighting is an issue, though I'm getting better with it. However, the bigger problem is getting building pieces to fit together. A lot of the ones that are supposedly of the same "set" really do not fit quite right, leading to visible gaps between seams. I guess it's just trial and error to get them working.
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/categories/srr-early-access-level-editor-for-gm
Search here.

Rake

Arcane

Why do people seem to think that the base campaign dictates the game design elements possible using the editor? The game engine is your limiting factor, and the engine doesn't force you to make linear gameplay or combat-heavy areas.
Well, until save issue is resolved, it will be very difficult to make an open world game. Does the engine allow saves manualy?

Jackalope

Arcane
Since I'm not big a fan of the combat I decided to make my maps more adventure/puzzle type oriented. I'd let the player choose how to solve the problems. Hack the security? Bribe someone? Bluff your way in? How about getting some laxatives from the pharmacy and lacing the Lone Star security's donut delivery? Or maybe charm your way in? Or try some sort of disguise? Put some explosives on the bike outside and blow it up to create a vital distraction? Or infliltrate the air ducts with your rigger's drone and blow out the power generator, then sneak in the dark.

Stuff like that. I'm guessing I'd have to learn a lot about the editor and the trigger system, but I'm sure it can be done.

EDIT: Look what I just made...

asset.png

DramaticPopcorn

As for the dialogue editor, what do you mean by node links for player responses? Do you mean something like looping back to a previous node? You can do that by copying the NPC (blue) node you want to jump back to and use 'paste as link' on a player (red) node.
In NWN's editor, you can link both player and NPC lines of any kind at any point. In Shadowrun it seems like you can only link NPC lines, and only directly after a player line. So if you have an "interrogation" kind of node where the player can ask many questions, you can't just set up the player lines as links - instead you have to copy-paste them a whole bunch of extra times. The same goes if you want to have, say, 3 possible NPC lines to all lead to the same new line via a continue - it's impossible to link here as well, so you have to add a player line to do the link off of.

How's scripting, sea? Is it possible to change dialogue content dynamically via pseudo-condition script like in NWN2?

Also, what about custom abilities and spells? And skills. And interface.

My question stands

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I think the engine and general style of the interface and gameplay DOES limit how open a campaign can be. The open one that is trying to be a CRPG on the workshop right now feels terrible and out of place to me.

I look forward to those with the proper skill and vision making it work though, if it is possible. I just don't think I am one of them. I would make a set of runs from a hub and that isn't exciting enough to motivate me.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ofcourse the engine and editor limit the possible campaigns.

Anyway, tried the lost lamb module. Started out nice with a squalid apartment and the usual 'shadowrunner down on his luck looking for a job' beginning. Then quickly goes into both incline and decline with a lacklustre layout, a fun cyberpunk trope squalid squatter shopping mall and a merchant who give you freebie weapons and items. Module lost me there as it could just as easily have put them on you or in your appartment, instead of having someone hand them out to you. Which kinda sucks and breaks the whole tone of the thing. Module keeps alternating between interesting and facepalm design decisions. Perhaps the maker was just learning how to use the editor and thus made many of these decisions because he couldn't find another way with them or because he found them fun to include as he was getting better.

All in all though, not worth the time if you just want to play. Seriously though, none of the modules so far are.

Leimreу

Novice
Are there any tutorials on using the Editor? I particularly want to know if it's possible to create your own custom items (weapons, armor) with custom stats by using already existing in-game assets and if it's possible to create your own actors with custom stats, equipment and spellbooks/inventory.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ofcourse the engine and editor limit the possible campaigns.
Not to the extent people think it does. Sure there are things you can and can't do... but you're making a mod to an existing game, not a brand-new game. Something like "open-endedness" is handled purely through level design and how you let the player move about the world, and shouldn't be limited by any game engine unless someone specifically codes it so that you can't return to a previously visited game area, or there can only be 1 exit to a given level, etc.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Someone has made a dungeon that's actually giving lots of options for deckers and riggers to interact with the world and has fun shit like Matrix controlled doors, reinforcements and hidden skill checks. Plus it allows the skills of the person interaction with a prop to be used instead of the main actor. Meaning taking a decker with you becomes viable. It's pretty cool and shows the interactivity that Matrix and regular gameworld can have. It's called 'a late night call from your fixer' and is already showing off some of the possibilities for modding this thing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Someone has made a dungeon that's actually giving lots of options for deckers and riggers to interact with the world and has fun shit like Matrix controlled doors, reinforcements and hidden skill checks. Plus it allows the skills of the person interaction with a prop to be used instead of the main actor. Meaning taking a decker with you becomes viable. It's pretty cool and shows the interactivity that Matrix and regular gameworld can have. It's called 'a late night call from your fixer' and is already showing off some of the possibilities for modding this thing.

Nice little test module that actually turned my opinion around a bit. I love how he uses speech bubble dialogue and short matrix runs.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Nice stuff there guys. Too bad I cant brofist just yet ;_; There should be a brofist option for longtime lurkers! I got witness that I was lurking for a while! :troll:

sea, you managed to do something with the gaps? Have you tried holding alt + using directional keys to move the prop a little?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Regarding lootable corpse persistence problems - this might be very, uh, roundabout, but how about assigning a script that puts corpse props in place of dudes that die?

Or something like 'spawn x bodies when out of combat' with pre-set placement of said corpses around a room. Kinda lazy, but eh, whatever works.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What about that dude in front of the place where you go rescue Coyote's cousin? If you pick the option to knock him out he stays there on the ground.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Some mods have twitching people on the ground. Some dead people. Some make them disappear. Some have a trigger deposit money or items through text, others through a container that appears. Lots of flexibility apparantly.

Leimreу

Novice
Any way to play mods on a pirated version yet? Yes, I'm a horrible, horrible person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom