Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Empire - planetary conquest from Advanced Tactics/Decisive Campaigns dev

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Takes time for those resources to get in that road and even if it build new roads, you still have to deal with the bottleneck house of cards the further you are from logistical hubs. Also AI doesn't use the same logistic calculations than you. (Theirs are simplified)

Last edited:

Hamster Godoy

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man this game is such a pain with the RNG. Maybe the RNG covers for otherwise too obvious deficiencies in the mechanics? That is pretty common for wargame and wargame adjacent games. I've finally achieved my goal of getting the 80 Government and 90 Meritocracy bonuses. I am super OP now. Though I'm running into a cashflow issue. Traders seem to have way fewer credits than they used to and I kept my high worker wages afloat selling machines woops.

Sadly it turns out you can expand your industrial might much faster than you can grow population to pay taxes. Unless you run commerce I guess.
If you have to rely on RNG, then you are doing something wrong, u are supposed to maximize your positioning and resources to make the RNG negligible

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Man this game is such a pain with the RNG. Maybe the RNG covers for otherwise too obvious deficiencies in the mechanics? That is pretty common for wargame and wargame adjacent games. I've finally achieved my goal of getting the 80 Government and 90 Meritocracy bonuses. I am super OP now. Though I'm running into a cashflow issue. Traders seem to have way fewer credits than they used to and I kept my high worker wages afloat selling machines woops.

Sadly it turns out you can expand your industrial might much faster than you can grow population to pay taxes. Unless you run commerce I guess.
If you have to rely on RNG, then you are doing something wrong, u are supposed to maximize your positioning and resources to make the RNG negligible
I don't need RNG to *win*. I just like to do ridiculous min-max stuff which is heavily gated by RNG. Getting 95 of meritocracy or government for instance is highly RNG gated. I can play like a normal person and mostly ignore RNG.

Alpharius

Scholar

MTH's pay huge amounts of money to buy IP btw, so it seems like its almost impossible to run out of cash on maps with oceans. Unless you need that money for MTH transport contracts.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not worth half the time for the amounts they ask, the impact it generates on your economy (needs certain spare ip to keep stuff working + enough for next turn) and relation hit with the local governor/other gabinet members. But's that my experience so far on the fist game with the new dlc.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Dlc seems to be for planet generating autists and no one else. Naval element and wildlife being able to troll you from the coasts without you being able to do much just seems annoying.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

MTH's pay huge amounts of money to buy IP btw, so it seems like its almost impossible to run out of cash on maps with oceans. Unless you need that money for MTH transport contracts.
Well I only played before MTH so.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Takes time for those resources to get in that road and even if it build new roads, you still have to deal with the bottleneck house of cards the further you are from logistical hubs. Also AI doesn't use the same logistic calculations than you. (Theirs are simplified)
Still need to take atleast some time to build it. Maybe just several hexes a turn or something. You can easily deal with bottlenecks if you have an abundance of IP. You can build truck stations and supply hubs pretty fast, faster than your troops get starved out.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In the first place roads are absolutely not enough to supply and sustain serious armies or even expanded territories. You need rail for that.

I just wish they had more futuristic ways too, this kinda feels XIX/XX century. Trucks and rail... At least give me transport planes and ships.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can use transport planes/rovers after you have good research and practical xp with then (Long term investment for good range) on a airbridge set up and contract logistical points (transport) with the merchant clans on coastal hexes near the frontline. Player owned ships will come later down the line with the implementation of the navy by his roadmap.

Alpharius

Scholar
Btw there seems to be some issue with planes & ships when transporting something from the zone to shq. The zones just never sends anything back. :negative:
Noticed it after i've colonized an an island with many ruins hexes and build scavenging on each, which then failed to improve my metal situation in any way.

Can be fixed by manually clicking on send resources from zone to shq button each turn. :argh:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
there's a port in that island with enough capacity? Gonna check next time i play on my game, but so far i have being receiving stuff from the islands i recent conquered.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
This game... I swear.
I can't think of any other game with that many poorly designed system cobbled together. The worst thing that I can't even think how hard you must try to make them so badly designed. I don't even mind that it look bad, or that its UI is shit and information are hidden in 100 sub reports pages, or that card system - that is all forgivable offences. But the rest of the game is even worse. Funny thing is removing most of them could actually make game better.
>planet generation - shit, what a fucking waste of time that you can't customize in any meaningful aspect
>formation system - stiff shit
>personnel system - shit
>unit system - crap, both design and interaction
>industry and logistic system - poo
>cults, corpos, crime - unnecessary bloat
>AI - braindead
Its only good game when you literally don't know how to play it. Once you get it you see that its just pile of dry shit. I get that there is nothing in same style or settings and I want it to be good but seriously its not. And it will not get better. Sadly.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw there seems to be some issue with planes & ships when transporting something from the zone to shq. The zones just never sends anything back. :negative:
Noticed it after i've colonized an an island with many ruins hexes and build scavenging on each, which then failed to improve my metal situation in any way.

Can be fixed by manually clicking on send resources from zone to shq button each turn. :argh:
Sorry for late reply, but just managed to play the game recently to this situation. You having issues with the capacity of the port receiving/sending the logistic points.

Alpharius

Scholar

Sorry for late reply, but just managed to play the game recently to this situation. You having issues with the capacity of the port receiving/sending the logistic points.
Nope, definitely had enough capacity. I mean if can send stuff through manually then it should also be sent automatically. Maybe it overestimated how much logistics points are required for shq -> zone route so nothing was assigned to zone -> shq or something like that.

Beowulf

Arcane
Look how they massacred my boy.
What next - usable AI and readable color palette?

nSsFdh2.png

Beowulf

Arcane
But the balance changes are nice - Vic actually nerfed most of the obviously OP stuff and made the outcome of the MP game potentially less dependent on luck during rng rolls on start.
And added more autism - gravity and air pressure now affects weapon ranges and projectile speed (as it should in any serious strategy game).

Hamster Godoy

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
imagine playing a game for almost 1000 hours and not knowing one of it's basic mechanics (reconaissance and scouting)

900 hours.png

Humppaleka

Cipher
So is this like even remotely accessible for someone with a busy schedule and a chance to game here and there? 100+ hours of Youtube tutorials required? I am intrigued though and it is less than 7 eurobucks at the moment, so...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So is this like even remotely accessible for someone with a busy schedule and a chance to game here and there? 100+ hours of Youtube tutorials required? I am intrigued though and it is less than 7 eurobucks at the moment, so...
Would depend a lot on how much experience you have with gaming in general I suppose. The game is a complicated mess of systems (not that I mind) and while they'll require some work to understand, that work is a lot easier if you understand how things like deckbuilding games work, veterancy systems, terrain modifier mechanics, and so on.

You can also evade a fair bit of the complexity by just ignoring some systems. You can do a planet where planes aren't viable to begin with, for example, letting you ignore a whole bunch of related mechanics. There's a bunch of different branches of research, but you can kind of just focus on a couple and not worry about the others, making up for a lack of iterative improvement in designs by just unlocking entirely superior units instead, or researching larger troop formations.. Playing on a lower difficulty will help you survive without needing to use all the systems to their fullest. I went in blind and didn't watch any tutorials and had a fair bit of fun, figuring out some stuff as I went along and just completely botching some other stuff like civil management and politics.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

If you are either dumb or completely new to strategy games it may be a challenge.

If you ate your teeth on strategy you may have already played Decisive Campaign series and this will seem oddly familiar to you. Even if not you will quickly understand how this works because all the mechanics are not new.

Honestly for me picking up new games is very easy at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom