Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Send help, I developed a simracing addiction

Curratum

Ok, allright... Sukhāvatī played the demo of Rush Rally 3, liked it so much, I bought it, thanks! :D

Curratum

Double-posting because excitement!

Thanks again, Sukhāvatī for Rush Rally 3. It sounds fucking surreal to say it but this game is a lot better than the latest official WRC game... This is the most fun I've had with a rally title in a long, long time. The handling is great for what the game is - an arcade with just the right amount of "physics" and realism, the stages and countries are a great representation of the real locations too - I actually think the low-poly Kenya in this game looks more like the real thing and conjures the location a lot better than the official WRC game's Kenya stages.

Wholeheartedly recommended to anyone who ever enjoyed a rally game, because this will make you feel like you're young again and playing through Colin McRae Rally 2/3 for the first time, but it's actually a better game from a modern point of view.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Great video on the current state of the entire Racing genre

While Ray covers all sub-genres, he (rightfully) comes down specially hard on Sim Racers

Edit: He also imo correctly claims that the death of arcade racers was the death of creativity for the genre

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Decided to jump into racing sims with a T300 i managed to get for 300 bucks on a sale.

Been doing test laps on Automobilista2 and had a lot of fun learning the ropes. Its been funny reading this thread and witnessing curratums rise to simracing sperg and his eventual downfall due to his hatred for automobilista2 AI. Kinda sad to see him sell his wheel.

Couldnt you just go directly to multiplayer races to avoid the AI? Its only a training tool anyways.
Of course i also have AC. Gotta try that one next.

Anyway one more thing, if you guys are into simracing you gotta go VR. Its a whole new level. Also improves your performance as you have much better depth perception and feel of momentum/speed.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Pretty addicted to ACC lately. Thinking about buying wheel and pedals.

Kunos deserves all the support and success.

SlamDunk

Arcane
[--]and now I've fallen into a hole I can't get out of.

[...]I am still playing on an x360 controller but I've spent the last month doing ridiculously in-depth research into wheel and pedal sets, because the prices aren't exactly low and there's a ton of granularity, variables and details you don't see at first glance.

Bro... you haven't even gotten close to the EDGE yet.

95ei3ru.jpg
Rated 'facepalm' due to no VR used.

his_derectomy

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also hopelessly addicted to sim racing, although I'm hopelessly slow. Mostly just farting around in BeamNG and Assetto Corsa but do join the occasional race. Just upgraded my wheel and pedals to make me faster (it didn't) but everything feels better now so being slow is more fun.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also hopelessly addicted to sim racing, although I'm hopelessly slow. Mostly just farting around in BeamNG and Assetto Corsa but do join the occasional race. Just upgraded my wheel and pedals to make me faster (it didn't) but everything feels better now so being slow is more fun.

It´s truly middle class gentleman's hobby. I just wish I was high class to drive real racing cars.

Doktor Best

Arcane

I can recommend this playlist from Driver61. Hes a real life and virtual racing coach and this is his beginners course of all the theoretical knowledge you need to have to improve your pacing.

his_derectomy

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I can recommend this playlist from Driver61. Hes a real life and virtual racing coach and this is his beginners course of all the theoretical knowledge you need to have to improve your pacing.
Thanks for the tip! I have seen a bunch of his F1 content and knew about their private training but those look like exactly what I need. I know a bunch of the theory but I also know that there is some fundamentals I am missing somewhere.

his_derectomy

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I went through a few of his videos and already feel some things clicking into place. I knew a lot of the basic theory but the way Scott explains it and some of the things he stresses (especially the importance of smoothness of inputs) are already making a big difference for me. I think I've been coming off the brakes way, way too quickly, robbing me of all my front grip. Anyway, great videos.

It's been about a year since I had my racing game fever, bought two wheels etc. I've had my T300RS GT in storage since May and decided to bust it out yesterday to play a bit and ended up spending nearly 8 hours having fun in BeamNG.Drive (probably my favourite car game, there's just so much shit you can do), AC and ATS.

It's a curious phenomenon - I love it, but not having a permanent setup is a real detriment to being willing to play whatever it is. I am thoroughly convinced that if you want to buy a wheel, you should be prepared to invest in a dedicated setup, otherwise it'll just end up gathering dust most of the time, even if you love playing.

Doktor Best

Arcane
It's been about a year since I had my racing game fever, bought two wheels etc. I've had my T300RS GT in storage since May and decided to bust it out yesterday to play a bit and ended up spending nearly 8 hours having fun in BeamNG.Drive (probably my favourite car game, there's just so much shit you can do), AC and ATS.

It's a curious phenomenon - I love it, but not having a permanent setup is a real detriment to being willing to play whatever it is. I am thoroughly convinced that if you want to buy a wheel, you should be prepared to invest in a dedicated setup, otherwise it'll just end up gathering dust most of the time, even if you love playing.

I got myself a wheelstand about 2 weeks after i bought my T300. Its just too much of a hassle otherwise. I can fold up my wheelstand and put it next to my desktop and its done.

I got myself a wheelstand about 2 weeks after i bought my T300. Its just too much of a hassle otherwise. I can fold up my wheelstand and put it next to my desktop and its done.
I have a wheel stand but it's kind of clunky and doesn't fold easily - I have to undo a couple nuts with a wrench to get it to lean back under the desk. I could just set it aside but it's pretty large so I end up losing access to stuff like i.e. my closet. So I just chuck it in another room and this leads into the situation I described. If I have to go into another room to pick it up and then plug it in again I'm just not gonna do it.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I keep the pedals permanently under the desk, the cables ready. So the only thing i need to do is clamp the wheel to the desk and off i go.

Modron

Arcane
So what's the preferred controller for a motorcycle racing game anyways? Steering wheel, standard controller, flightstick and pedals, or painstakingly repurposed arcade 90/2000s arcade motorcycle controller?

I'd feel really strange playing a motorcycle game on a wheel. I like your repurposed Manx TT arcade cabinet idea, but unfortunately a regular pad might be the next best option.

edit: apparently Thrustmaster used to make something called the "Freestyler" exactly for this purpose. Guess the market wasn't great for it:

http://www.telecommandercorp.com/li...lerrt/thrustmasterusbbikeracecontrollerrt.htm

full-27761-61238-p9280009.jpg

Here's a Prosperous YouTube review:

Last edited:

his_derectomy

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Even the arcade racers with bikes to sit on and lean don't quite feel right... not nearly as immersive as a good FFB wheel and nice pedals/shifter. Just IMHO of course.

Maybe I would change my tune if I tried a modern one with more of a sim software instead of whatever arcade game I last tried. VR would probably help too.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Good thoughts about simulation/design in motorbike games.

In one side we have the difference between car simulation, where with a wheel an pedals you get a good proximity to reality, at least for the simulation being fun and authentic at the same time.

On the other side we have the tryhard syndrome like in FPS "simulators" like Tarkov or Arma 3, where they put unrealistic amounts of weapon sway/recoil, because shooting the real thing is too easy, and they didn´t want to get accuse of being like COD, or worse, to "balance" weapons for PVP.

For me the balance in moto games should be have a good feedback of grip, braking and throttling, responsive handling, and good simulation of track conditions. Hope the new TT Isle of Man game releasing achieves that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom