Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Send help, I developed a simracing addiction

Derringer

Prophet
The best 'realistic' rally game is the modded Richard Burns Rally pack people have been passing around, even with just a keyboard.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bought Assetto Corsa complete edition in the sale. Can you provide me with a list of mandatory/good mods?

I'm mainly focused in SP. Old Gran Turismo fan that is not going to buy GT7 after the decline they have made.

My other favorite racing game is Dirt Rally 1.

No race wheel unfortunately. Would help advice to set up gamepad.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Guys, I´m officially hooked to Assetto Corsa. It plays well on my DS4 controller (at least for GT3 and GT4 cars). Don´t know why people say it plays badly. I know at some point I will have to get a wheel, but for now it does the trick.

These are my settings:

kphfG50.png

I even paid the Content Manager. It´s insane the amount of free quality mods you can get.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Goes for 99p on sale. I might actually be able to run this on my potato for once.

When you look at it, how much has sim racing really progressed since this gem came out 16 years ago? GTR2 is still a ton of fun to play, and has many features, especially for offline racing that many modern sims sorely lack. Because its been around so long it can sometimes seem like a daunting task to get it running these days, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Although you absolutely can go install a lot of mods and great addons to improve nearly every aspect of the sim, stock GTR2 is still great and very easy to get running. Together with a couple of small patches, you may mistake yourself into thinking you're still racing on the bleeding edge...

If you are having trouble with GTR2 not starting, make sure to run the 'GTR2Config' !

GTR2 EXE Patch: .... No need! Crew Chief does this automatically!

Crew Chief: https://thecrewchief.org/
Install the full program, but you only need to copy the contents of the 'CrewChief/plugins/GTR2' directory to your GTR2 install to benefit from the patch

Curratum

Project Cars 2, arguably the sweetest mix of realism and actual "game", is getting delisted from digital stores very soon due to car manufacturer licenses expiring.

Of course, you can always get it as a key for 4 eur instead... :D

Retardo

Learned
Project Cars 2, arguably the sweetest mix of realism and actual "game", is getting delisted from digital stores very soon due to car manufacturer licenses expiring.

Of course, you can always get it as a key for 4 eur instead... :D
And yet, Assetto Corsa still going strong, on par with GTR2.

The magic of modern day licensing.

Curratum

I gave up on Assetto. One day Content Manager just stopped working for no reason. Reinstall. Verify files. Look up guides. Nothing works.

So now I just stick to Project Cars 2.

Retardo

Learned
I gave up on Assetto. One day Content Manager just stopped working for no reason. Reinstall. Verify files. Look up guides. Nothing works.

Lol, I've dropped project cars 2 after failing to make it match in-game wheel rotation to the real one.

Curratum

Lol, I've dropped project cars 2 after failing to make it match in-game wheel rotation to the real one.

Worked fine on the TM T300. I'm back to controller, though. Keeping the setup is too much of a hassle and room is too limited.

Curratum

Selling that T300, by the way. No idea what the shipping rates to a place abroad are, probably insane, but hey... I got it cheap and I can sell it for as low as 250 EUR / USD, it's 31% off at 320 EUR on Amazon.de right now for the RS GT version I have with the 3 pedals.

But I'm afraid the shipping costs will be ridiculous if you're outside of Europe.

Curratum

https://www.hrkgame.com/en/games/product/project-cars-2-deluxe-edition

Project Cars 2 Deluxe Edition with all season pass content, cars, tracks, at 91% off, 9 EUR. Game will be delisted from Steam in a week or so, so the price of those keys will probably skyrocket when that happens too.

PC2 is literally the most complete motorsport package you can get, looks gorgeous, plays as a pleasant compromise between autismo sims and conventional "games" and is overall great. Grab it while you can for cheap.

This is obviously not an affiliated link, etc etc. Just sharing the love.

Keeping the setup is too much of a hassle and room is too limited.

Too true, sadly. My own T300 has been in storage for over two months now. I think I've read once that unless you have a dedicated, exclusive racing set-up, a wheel is simply not worth it. And this is after I went through an initial fever of buying 2 separate wheels in under 2 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, it's very cool. But it just won't get any use sooner or later.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
https://www.hrkgame.com/en/games/product/project-cars-2-deluxe-edition

Project Cars 2 Deluxe Edition with all season pass content, cars, tracks, at 91% off, 9 EUR. Game will be delisted from Steam in a week or so, so the price of those keys will probably skyrocket when that happens too.

PC2 is literally the most complete motorsport package you can get, looks gorgeous, plays as a pleasant compromise between autismo sims and conventional "games" and is overall great. Grab it while you can for cheap.

This is obviously not an affiliated link, etc etc. Just sharing the love.
Bought. Thanks

Retardo

Learned
Keeping the setup is too much of a hassle and room is too limited.

Too true, sadly. My own T300 has been in storage for over two months now. I think I've read once that unless you have a dedicated, exclusive racing set-up, a wheel is simply not worth it. And this is after I went through an initial fever of buying 2 separate wheels in under 2 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, it's very cool. But it just won't get any use sooner or later.
True story.

First, I've got the wheel.
Then I've decided that putting and removing it is too tiresome, and bought a wheelstand that can be set up quickly and put under the table afterwards.
And now I still don't use the wheel, because I feel too tired after the work.

FriendlyMerchant

Dude. I paid 200€ for a single seat thumper. For a proper setup you need four (one for each wheel).
This is really gay. Probably one of the gayest things I've read on this website.

Curratum

Imagine... Just imagine shipping and then selling for years a game that is in this state, and receiving critical acclaim for it...

Retardo

Learned
Imagine... Just imagine shipping and then selling for years a game that is in this state, and receiving critical acclaim for it...

Whats your AI settings and game version?
These guys seem to have AI playing on wholly different level:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom