Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sell PC Gaming to The Next Gen

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm just slapping tits into my games and calling it a day.

vibehunter

Learned
Kids growing up now are more into PC gaming than kids who grew up in the early 2000s (that first decade was console peasantry’s golden age). But more likely than not they’re getting PCs to play Minecraft or sweaty competitive shooters like Apex.

Give them an RTS, FPS, or any kind of sim. RPG is the worst genre for demonstrating value of PC unless modding or RTwP.

Only other solutions are a decent income and good taste. Now get off my lawn!

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Most of the games mentioned in this thread aren't going to sell old-school PC gaming to the next generation. They would find the UI frustrating, graphics unappealing, and the pacing too slow.

Zlaja

Arcane
Looking Glass Studios - Both Thief games, System Shock 1 and 2, Ultima Underworld

Yes to both Thief games and SS2, but fuck no to both SS1 and UU. The interface of SS1 (even the newer version) would make any normie rage quit.

Black Isle - Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2(developed by Bioware though), Icewind Dale and its sequel

A big yes. The graphics of these games have aged gracefully and the interface is not to much of a hurdle. Plenty of story focus as well (and enough VO) which would help.

Gold Box games

LOL, no. They would run screaming.

Troika - Arcanum(a flawed masterpiece, one of the most :obviously: games ever made), Toee(D&D combat masterpiece), VTMB(narrative, atmosphere and character design masterpiece)

Yes to both Arcanum and especially VTMB, but no to TOEE. The combat of the latter is just not normie friendly.

Obsidian - Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights

Yes, but do we really want normies playing NN?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Looking Glass Studios - Both Thief games, System Shock 1 and 2, Ultima Underworld

Yes to both Thief games and SS2, but fuck no to both SS1 and UU. The interface of SS1 (even the newer version) would make any normie rage quit.

Black Isle - Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2(developed by Bioware though), Icewind Dale and its sequel

A big yes. The graphics of these games have aged gracefully and the interface is not to much of a hurdle. Plenty of story focus as well (and enough VO) which would help.

Gold Box games

LOL, no. They would run screaming.

Troika - Arcanum(a flawed masterpiece, one of the most :obviously: games ever made), Toee(D&D combat masterpiece), VTMB(narrative, atmosphere and character design masterpiece)

Yes to both Arcanum and especially VTMB, but no to TOEE. The combat of the latter is just not normie friendly.

Obsidian - Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights

Yes, but do we really want normies playing NN?
I wholeheartedly agree.
Toee does require D&D knowledge. I guess it depends on the normie and his willingness to do his research.
As I always said, these games left impressive legacies. They will be remembered forever, whereas other games "insert random modern game, especially a Triple A game" will be forgotten and fade into obscurity.
Not all is about sales, huge numbers and money. But vision and legacy.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Shareholders disagree with you.
Shareholders if you haven't finished a game within their time frame:
youre-fired.gif

Norfleet

SELLING PC gaming to kids is the wrong approach. All you have to do to get them into playing PC games is not to buy them some shitty console or phone. What are they gonna do about it? It's not like they have money to buy some shitty console with. Especially when you don't even have a TV, so they'd have to buy that, too. No, kiddo. You get this old potato. I bookmarked Piratebay for you. You're on your own.

cpmartins

Cipher
You can either have this shitty screen where you will spend most of the time fighting with input than actually playing the game, or you can have a machine than can RUN LITERALLY FUCKING MILLIONS OF GAMES.
Oh who am I kidding. Kids are retarded.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Is there any need to "sell" PC gaming to kids? My understanding is that the PC marketing is already pretty healthy.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
This thread feels like half the thread is specifically talking about how to get kids to give older PC games a chance and the other half is just generally talking about getting them into gaming on PC.

somerandomdude

Learned
Login to your kid's gaming accounts for shit games, call someone a nigger, get them banned, and tell them if they want to game then they must beat an older game of my choosing. I would be fair about it and pick one I believe they might do well at.

If your idea to hook a young kid to PC gaming is to force the poor bastard to unsolicited retro gaming and to play a 30 years old rpg you are fucking delusional.

Unless they are the ones expressing curiosity on this stuff, chance are you are just going to put them off.

On a more positive note (...maybe?) chances are they wouldn't be needing a lot of "convincing" about the PC itself as a platform.
In fact , chances are they already watch twitch streamers or other YouTube shit and among their life goals there may even be "becoming content creators" (brrr) themselves, which is like ten times harder if you a goddamn console peasant.

Ladonna

Arcane
They need to be locked in dungeons, with only a C64, disk drive, monitor and joystick, and then only allowed into a caged yard for a day or so after each RPG has been completed. They will learn to love them.

iu

On a serious note, there is no way to "make" them like something. You can try to play it in front of them, let them try if they want to, but ultimately they will decide if they like it or not. My oldest kids do play some of the mid term oldies, like Fallout, but only play arcade games on the C64/Amiga. They have watched me play some GB games on and off, but haven't expressed any desire to play them. They are bored to tears with Blob style CRPG's, except when I played Dragon Wars on Amiga, where they liked the music. They were scared of Dungeon Master, but the oldest has played it off and on since then. The two oldest have played a bit of Myth 1 and 2, and like it, but give up for a while when they cannot get past a level. They enjoy Sim City, Civilisation, etc.

The only console in the house is a Playstation 2, and that is hardly used. Sometimes they have talked about wanting a PS4/5, Xbox, etc, but that usually because they have gone to friends houses and played a bit with them. They get over it pretty quick when they realise they need to use a controller for every game. They don't like using a controller. For modern stuff, when they game, they use Ipads and PC's.

I guess, like us, they will like what they are going to like. They are influenced by what is around them, but you cannot make them like anything.

If your idea to hook a young kid to PC gaming is to force the poor bastard to unsolicited retro gaming and to play a 30 years old rpg you are fucking delusional.

Unless they are the ones expressing curiosity on this stuff, chance are you are just going to put them off.

On a more positive note (...maybe?) chances are they wouldn't be needing a lot of "convincing" about the PC itself as a platform.
In fact , chances are they already watch twitch streamers or other YouTube shit and among their life goals there may even be "becoming content creators" (brrr) themselves, which is like ten times harder if you a goddamn console peasant.
I was suprised when my wifes much younger sister just randomly started playing icewind dale on my laptop without me saying anything on a vacation a few years ago. She is not a kid, she is was her early 20's then but still..she is a girl fist of all, and she is pretty young, and I had no idea she had any interest. I did notice she read fantasy novels, and science fiction novels, and she also just graduated medical school, so she is not dumb, but I was still surprised. She played every night on the trip for hours, was able to figure it out...I was pretty surprised. She does not really play video games, I think it was just we were in a cabin in the snow and it was a small mountain town with not much to do at night, so she decided to experiment.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I bet i can play gold box with a fairchild controller or colecovision controller.

You can either have this shitty screen where you will spend most of the time fighting with input than actually playing the game, or you can have a machine than can RUN LITERALLY FUCKING MILLIONS OF GAMES.
Oh who am I kidding. Kids are retarded.
Ah! This I know and remember from DOS, win95, and some 98/xp. I think i spent more time scandisk/defragging and at worse, formatting and reinstalling some of those years.

OH GREAT FUN! YEAH!!!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom