Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sell PC Gaming to The Next Gen

Falksi

Arcane
Cunts everywhere. Motherfucking decline enabling cunts everywhere who are constantly choking good gaming with their simplistic bollocks.

However, there is a lesson which we can learn from those cunts, and that's one of accessibility. I want my games deep, I want the up and coming gens to be able to experience deep games like what we all have. But I also appreciate that it was sometimes hard work to get into some of them back in t' day, and we also had far fewer options available to us at the time too, so were more persistent.

So, if you were gonna try and hook the next gen on proper PC gaming, which games would you recommend which are both very accessible, but which also don't skimp on depth or brilliance either?

Arbiter

Scholar
So, if you were gonna try and hook the next gen on proper PC gaming, which games would you recommend which are both very accessible, but which also don't skimp on depth or brilliance either?

OldBlizzard had the following motto: "easy to learn, difficult to master".

Butter

Arcane
Patron
City-builders were what did it for me back in the day. IDK what the current gold standard is for those. Maybe Cities: Skylines?

Zlaja

Arcane
So, if you were gonna try and hook the next gen on proper PC gaming, which games would you recommend which are both very accessible, but which also don't skimp on depth or brilliance either

B-cKbwkVzSxbUtLTey4QjdcJEIMXqMGDQ6upigCyskk.jpg

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
See how everyone immediately does 1 word to 1 sentence replies? Like they know it's a lost cause. Like asking the current gen to read the manual. I noticed this trend on Youtube movies where they cut down scenes in films, like they're truncated for people with short attention spans - imagine Rocky 1, but cut out a second or two where he's walking across the gym and go straight to dialogue/fight.

'Cause life's too short. Current gen gamers literally have no long term memory. It's like asking them to read an entire paragraph.

Victor1234

Educated
See how everyone immediately does 1 word to 1 sentence replies? Like they know it's a lost cause. Like asking the current gen to read the manual. I noticed this trend on Youtube movies where they cut down scenes in films, like they're truncated for people with short attention spans - imagine Rocky 1, but cut out a second or two where he's walking across the gym and go straight to dialogue/fight.

'Cause life's too short. Current gen gamers literally have no long term memory. It's like asking them to read an entire paragraph.
I was looking for some old game manuals the other day. The main site I used to use ages ago, replacementdocs.com, hasn't had a new PC manual uploaded to it since June 2017. Do new games even come with manuals anymore? IIRC Old World (hah..) did put out a manual that got praised for being old school, but can't think of others released this decade.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

They literally can't remember what life was like before 2 iphones ago lol.

The short attention span thing seems to be a result of not developing it in youth. Hence the thread - it depends on how early you start to develop the taste for these kind of games.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Problem nowadays is that youngsters and the TikTok generation are incredibly dumb and shallow.
However, to the few among them who are not brain dead and completely degenerated into sheeply mindsets by endless far left Woke propaganda, I would recommend glorious 90s and early 2000s games.
Id Software - 'nuff said, need no further introduction.
Looking Glass Studios - Both Thief games, System Shock 1 and 2, Ultima Underworld.
Black Isle - Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2(developed by Bioware though), Icewind Dale and its sequel.
Gold Box games.
Raven Software - Heretic, Hexen, the seminal Dark Forces: Jedi Knight(and Mysteries of the sith, its expansion).
Troika - Arcanum(a flawed masterpiece, one of the most :obviously: games ever made), Toee(D&D combat masterpiece), VTMB(narrative, atmosphere and character design masterpiece).
Bioware - Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Kotor.
Obsidian - Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights.
I skipped some other ones, but you get the idea.

Arbiter Thanks for pointing it out, completely escaped my mind.

Last edited:

Arbiter

Scholar
Raven Software - Heretic, Hexen, the seminal Dark Forces: Jedi Knight(and Mysteries of the sith, its expansion).

Hexen 2 and Jedi Outcast were great too.

I think it is easier to convince a new generation of gamers to play classic games that have modern source ports, like id Software games and their derivatives.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think it is easier to convince a new generation of gamers to play classic games that have modern source ports, like id Software games and their derivatives.
Yeah.
Unfortunately, consoles have already done their damage. A great deal of "modern gamers" rely on consoles for their games, not PC's.

boluch

Literate
Yeah.
Unfortunately, consoles have already done their damage. A great deal of "modern gamers" rely on consoles for their games, not PC's.
This issue has been raised since 2009, if not earlier, but it is no more important today than it was back then. If one is content to play on consoles, he should stay on consoles and keep his demand for console garbage on the console market, the rest will move naturally to PC, sooner or later. The problem is with demographics, not with platforms. The "modern gamer" includes a much wider slice of population than the "pre-modern (classical? medieval? neolithic?) gamer".

Delphik

I think it's difficult to convince most people into PC gaming especially since very accessible and braindead console games exist where you don't have to think for a second to play, since I'm a zoomer I got into PC gaming through Fallout 3 and as much as people shit on it (I hate it too) I think it's a great introduction to RPGs whether you like it or not, it's the reason I even bothered to play and enjoy CRPGs, it introduces you to the world of Fallout and its amazing themes which makes it easier for people to accept playing Fallout 1 & 2 and then progress into other CRPGs or PC games.

For the same reasons I would recommend Morrowind or even Oblivion aswell, keep in mind you're speaking to people who have never experienced a proper RPG and still care about graphics so you have to downgrade their graphics requirement bit by bit, you simply can't make a person jump from RDR2 tier graphics to Fallout 1 instantly, you have to make them slowly realize graphics don't matter if the gameplay is deep and enjoyable.
Id Software - 'nuff said, need no further introduction.
Looking Glass Studios - Both Thief games, System Shock 1 and 2, Ultima Underworld.
Black Isle - Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2(developed by Bioware though), Icewind Dale and its sequel.
Gold Box games.
Troika - Arcanum(a flawed masterpiece, one of the most :obviously: games ever made), Toee(D&D combat masterpiece), VTMB(narrative, atmosphere and character design masterpiece).
Bioware - Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Kotor.
Obsidian - Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights.
Out of your list I would only consider Kotor 1 & 2 and VTMB to be accessible enough for most zoomers, if you try and use Fallout 1 or 2 or heavens forbid Baldur's gate to introduce PC gaming to a zoomer you already lost them and they're probably browsing TikTok 10 minutes in or have already launched God of War (In my opinion).

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor1234

Educated
Yeah.
I was looking at the list of games presented at the first E3 in 1995. A lot of console games there. The PC ones weren't much to write home about either, with must haves like Dark Seed II, whatever that was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E3_1995#List_of_featured_games

The year 2000 was both good and bad. Microsoft got it's own booth for the first time at E3 but the only videogame in the top 10 by sales that year on PC was...the Sims. Pokemon was making a real killing though. In Europe, some weird spinoff called Pokemon Pinball (on Gameboy) outsold the Sims on PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_video_games
In short one might say the golden age of PC gaming was but a moment, a meaningless grain of sand. :negative:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My 8 year old drew his first own skins to Minecraft yesteday. He also wants to make his own texturepacks -- in no time he'll turn into a modder. I'm a bit scared.

Arbiter

Scholar
My 8 year old drew his first own skins to Minecraft yesteday. He also wants to make his own texturepacks -- in no time he'll turn into a modder. I'm a bit scared.

Good, someone needs to fix future Bethesda games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom