Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seintari Chronicles: Book of Chaos - First screenshots

Chefe

Erudite
Radisshu said:
I've got to say that I dislike portraits in dialouge, it ruins a lot for me. I'm not sure why, so I can't back it up with any arguments. Maybe I just dislike seeing those little sprite guys with annoying anime faces.

The problem is that they're usually not done right. There's a fighting game called SVC Chaos where the characters talk to each other via portaits before fighting. You can easily get the rom and check it out on mame. The portraits show some good expressions.

Fenril

Scholar
Well like someone else said in this thread dont get demotivated from finishing it, Ive never tried anything like that but I can realize that it must get frustrating at times. And it takes time that could be spent on other things.

As for the writing, Im sure you can find someone to do some quick proofreading for whatever minor errors you make, the substance is what matters.

As for the sprites, if there are no major problems with animations, and since the resolution used for the game is probably pretty low, I never assumed they were so hard to make as you suggest. I almost assumed that even making a crap bitmap picture would be enough lol.

Mareus

Magister
You guys complained a lot about battles and graphics. While I don't give much crap about graphic complaints, I do give a crap about battles and have been busting my balls for the last 4 days to make the battles somewhat more interesting. I found a script on the RPG maker forums called GTBS_VX Tactical battle script and let me tell you that it is absolutely fantastic. The guy who wrote it must be a fucking genius or something, because you would expect poor AI and stuff like that, but not only can you adjust the difficulty of AI, but if you don't use strategy you are screwed. Implementing it was awfully hard. I had to went through a painful process of learning how to use this script, but I believe it was worth it. Enough yapping and let's show some screen shots.

The battle starts by allowing you to put your characters where you want:

Here are some battle commands:

And here is the grid:

Please comment, critisize, etc..

PS: OH, I almost forgot. The script also allows you to use objects while in battle, like pushing rocks on enemies, you can even customize it to have to stay alive for XX number of turns, or you can reach victory if you just kill the boss or reach specific location, so now that I know how to use it, you can bet battles won't be just about killing things ;)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
say, how do the five tilesets and only two layers in vx work out? seemed kinda limiting to me when i read that.

ushdugery

Scholar
work out your interaction systems before you write anything that isn't the overarching storyline otherwise you'll have to go back and fix a hell of a lot of shit later and that can be a pain in the ass.

Mareus

Magister
SuicideBunny said:
say, how do the five tilesets and only two layers in vx work out? seemed kinda limiting to me when i read that.
Two layers, that you mentioned are actually 3 layers, because you can add an event on top of everything, so with the event you get another layer. Therefore I didn't find the layers problematic. Some people complain about the blocky look that comes with VX, however it can be somewhat fixed with good map design and inserting new tile sets into the software. All of this therefore isn't a big problem, but there is one problem which is very annoying and I can't believe the makers of the software put such a limit to the software, especially when XP already didn't have this limitation. I am talking about the number of tile sets you are allowed to import. You can import only ONE tile set. Now that is the real problem. You can fix anything else, but if you want to have lots of custom tiles, you will have to remove some of the old ones, since the surface of the tile set is also limited in it's size. However you can add any number of events you want, so you can make unlimited number of tiles for the events, but it is still a bit limiting.

With good imagination and some map making skills you can easily make maps look very nice. A bit gay, but nice nevertheless. The biggest problem in XP was that you spent a lot of the time working on the maps if you want them to look somewhat good. With VX this isn't a problem, because you can make a nice map in 5-15 minutes. And don't forget VX is a lot easier to use in general.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I see potential. If you need assistance from an artisté and an overall radical dude, give me a hollar gringo. B)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom